What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Ryan - Amazon Prime Video (1 Viewer)

Radio Free Homer said:
Uh, let's not get too stupid here, Oats.
I can see her not being to Otis’ tastes but I’m fine with her. I don’t think the hair pulled back is her best look. She looks much prettier online when her hair is down.

We wrapped it up. Weak writing continued...homeland does it better, IMO, and I'm not a Homeland fan. Content is fun though, so it's an ok ride...but not something I'd recommend unless a fan of the genre.

Spoiler alert below

what was the point of the drone pilot?  Thought that storyline was unnecessary.
Yeah, I didn't get that at all.  Perhaps more to come from that after ep. 3?  What was the point of the couple?

I want to watch this but just can't wrap my head around Krasinski in this role.  To me I will always see him as Jim from the office so Jim as Jack Ryan is too big a leap for me.

matttyl said:
Yeah, I didn't get that at all.  Perhaps more to come from that after ep. 3?  What was the point of the couple?
Between the drones and immigrant journey, that was the show's foray into current politics imo.

I want to watch this but just can't wrap my head around Krasinski in this role.  To me I will always see him as Jim from the office so Jim as Jack Ryan is too big a leap for me.
Exactly why I can't start it. I don't really know anything about Jack Ryan, never read the books, but it looks like it could be good. Just can't buy Jim as a tough guy.

Exactly why I can't start it. I don't really know anything about Jack Ryan, never read the books, but it looks like it could be good. Just can't buy Jim as a tough guy.
I complained about it too and it holds the show back a little bit in my view, but it’s not THAT bad. 

I don’t get this. It doesn’t bother me and I loved the office. I’ll still watch the reruns on CC if nothing else is on.

I actually think he reminds me of Harrison Ford in this series. Sort of an understated hero. He gets beat up in the early part of the show so while he was a marine and rows, they didn’t make him super strong or a black belt. Kind of can hold his own but gets things done more with his smarts.

I know there were a couple parts that might have been rough, but easy to overlook and solid overall. I’ll most definitely watch future seasons. Great to binge watch but I’m starting to not like he watch in a few days and off for a year format especially since the shows are 8-10 no commercial episodes instead of 20-24. Kind of like a half season minus commercials. I might actually enjoy having to wait a week in between, but damn if I don’t have the willpower. 

I guess for me, I'm not really a huge fan of the genre, so it would take someone cool to get me to watch. Like Keifer in 24. Jim doesn't make me want to watch it.

Was going to say the same thing.  I thought he was very believable and well cast in that role.
I thought the sams thing re 13 hours. I thought he was way tougher/better/more beleiveable as an army dude in that movie. Im not buying it nearly as much in this show. 

I thought the sams thing re 13 hours. I thought he was way tougher/better/more beleiveable as an army dude in that movie. Im not buying it nearly as much in this show. 
Don't think he's supposed to be portrayed as a bad ### army dude though. I could be wrong, as I'm not a Jack Ryan series aficionado, but it seems like he did his tour, got hurt and is a desk jockey now. 

Don't think he's supposed to be portrayed as a bad ### army dude though. I could be wrong, as I'm not a Jack Ryan series aficionado, but it seems like he did his tour, got hurt and is a desk jockey now. 
I liked him better as marine dude. :shrug:  

Binged it in a couple of days. Despite being a bleeding heart liberal, always had a thing for Tom Clancy books in my younger years and still enjoy them. I thought the first season was alright, but not amazing. Felt like other shows have tread this same territory before and done it better. A bit too many plots on plots without any of them feeling quite as "dramatic" and impactful as, say, what happens in Sum of All Fears. I ended up liking the side plot of the terrorists better as time went on, wasn't sure where it was going at first. Definitely expected the recurring CIA operator guy to be revealed as John Clark, but they didn't go there. Overall I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. 

Yeah, if anything he's more action hero in this than he should be. From my experience with the universe, Ryan's supposed to be the desk guy who rarely gets into sticky situations, while John Clark provides the "badass soldier" aspect of the plot. 

Also, the sheer number of "friendlies" killed throughout the 8 episodes had me thinking frequently to myself "man, these guys are borderline incompetent."

Isn't Jack Ryan supposed to be kind of a surprise bad ###? Smart dude who has to step up? 

Seems like Jim.

Oh COME ON same thing 
Marines think they're basically seals.

OK to watch with my 13 year old? I’m no worried about anything he sees or hears, but need to know how awkward it might be if I’m sitting next to him when he sees or hears it. 
I doubt it's anywhere near as awkward as picking up a VHS of Clerks at the local Blockbuster to watch with visiting parents after the grandkids have gone to bed.

I heard it was funny :mellow:

This isn't his first run at it. I think he played in the American embassy in Libya movie, forget the name.

Nevermind- was confusing Jack Ryan and John Clark

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the first episode and liked it. I knew absolutely nothing about the Jack Ryan character before watching. Gonna watch a couple more episodes this weekend.

I still have a couple episodes to go. I like it.  I’m still waiting for Greer to say “sheeeeeeeeeeee#” to the stuffy office guy.  Has to happen. 

I really like how Ryan and Greer interact so far. 

I still have a couple episodes to go. I like it.  I’m still waiting for Greer to say “sheeeeeeeeeeee#” to the stuffy office guy.  Has to happen. 

I really like how Ryan and Greer interact so far. 

Wrong black guy. 

"How you like me know bish?" would be more Bunk.

Not good, IMO. Slightly entertaining, but do we really need another "muslim guy trying to exact revenge on the US for bombing his country" series/movie?

I really enjoyed it, was surprised that I liked John Krasinski as Ryan. Looking forward to next season in Russia.

Not good, IMO. Slightly entertaining, but do we really need another "muslim guy trying to exact revenge on the US for bombing his country" series/movie?
if it's done well, sure.

this wasn't terribly, IMO. 

more I've thought about this- particularly when this thread gets bumped- the less I rate it, particularly how it wrapped up.. .souliman in particular went sideways pdq those last couple episodes.

How did they know the wife had fled with the kids?

"I've got your son!" No #### Ryan, I just saw him 5 minutes ago getting arrested by the cops.

How did they know the wife had fled with the kids?

- Ryan was told about a woman in Turkey claiming to be his wife. Ryan was confirming the intel.

"I've got your son!" No #### Ryan, I just saw him 5 minutes ago getting arrested by the cops.

-He did it only to get a reaction/rise whic made the guy pause enough to get shot.

Finished last night. Enjoyed it overall but it was wrapped up a little too neatly. 

All those members of government in the same hospital? Looool ok. 

I laughed pretty hard at "this is what you think is funny?" When Ryan wore the suit and tie to the early briefing. :lol:

Just started watching ... I'm thru episode 3.

Entertaining so far. The acting is really good and the storyline is believable for the most part.

My take, keeping it general and avoiding spoilers, the point of the couple was to give the drone pilot motive for what he did at the end of the episode, which a needed Deus ex machina.

My take, keeping it general and avoiding spoilers, the point of the couple was to give the drone pilot motive for what he did at the end of the episode, which a needed Deus ex machina.
Drone pilot sub-plot, was the dumbest subplot I have seen.

Lots of ways to point out the negative aspects of flying drone missions.  This was so completely off the wall - and in a world where you need to suspend some beliefs - this went a step beyond.

Drone pilot sub-plot, was the dumbest subplot I have seen.

Lots of ways to point out the negative aspects of flying drone missions.  This was so completely off the wall - and in a world where you need to suspend some beliefs - this went a step beyond.
not the taxi ride into syria though, right? plenty plausible there IMO.

Liked it, a lot more the first six episodes though. It didn't live up to its potential in the end and we didn't get the kind of performance from Krasinski that he gave in 13 Hours or A Quiet Place. Was surprised by that, he played it very restrained throughout. 

I thought they accelerated the terror plot way too quickly in the end. The flashbacks were great and an excellent half of the show, seeing how a guy who could have had so many things go right becomes a mastermind terrorist. 

The last flashback we saw was basically him finding religion in prison to cope--but we didn't actually see him radicalized. Didn't see the fighting he did against Americans that changed him, how his terror network grew, how he gained such huge funding eventually. They developed a really interesting villain and then just ended it. 

Also how did the doctor not realize he was lying earlier. He made up a reason for being in her hospital when he asked her out and then when they slept together it turned out he had a huge fresh knife wound.

I'm guessing she knew something was up given his overly boring job description that she took as an "okay I'll stop asking" moment. And something else she said later about not needing stress. But then she was so mad when she found out that I found myself second-guessing whether she ever had a clue at all. Idk.

To whoever said this was nothing like the first book--wouldn't they have to change and update it since its a modern story and the first book came out what, 25 years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread