What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McCoy will not be placed on commisioners exempt list? Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

ddrizz1e

Footballguy
LeSean McCoy will not be placed on the commissioner's exempt list, making him eligible to play Sunday.

"There’s been no change to his status," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said. McCoy remains involved in an open investigation stemming from a July home invasion during which his ex-girlfriend allegedly was injured. For the time being, he'll avoid being placed on the commissioner's exempt list and start against the Ravens Sunday. The NFL still could place McCoy on the exempt list mid-season.

Source: Mark Maske on Twitter

Thoughts on if he could be suspended later? Where would you draft him standard/PPR?

LeSean McCoy will not be placed on the commissioner's exempt list, making him eligible to play Sunday.

"There’s been no change to his status," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said. McCoy remains involved in an open investigation stemming from a July home invasion during which his ex-girlfriend allegedly was injured. For the time being, he'll avoid being placed on the commissioner's exempt list and start against the Ravens Sunday. The NFL still could place McCoy on the exempt list mid-season.

Thoughts on if he could be suspended later? Where would you draft him standard/PPR?
He absolutely could be suspended later on. It could happen at any time. Right now it seems all that's guaranteed is that he plays week 1.

I had my .5 PPR draft last night and he went 3.03.

extensive discussion already in his thread.

This is a good example of when new threads can be appropriate. This designation today was newsworthy. Worth a new thread. 

Personally, I'm still a little worried as he's not clear yet apparently. But this is far better than the alternative.

Caution still advised. 
Apologies since not a comment on McCoy per se...but please what are the preferred rules / conventions for this type of news going forward?

In May it was discussed at length how a Breaking News thread would be created that would be then be folded into the player threads at some time afterwards. 

If there was any news for which that might have been appropriate it would have the McKinnon situation and yet that was talked about in various ways in three different player threads (McKinnon, Morris, Breida) with no new thread created.

I'm just hoping for some clarity before things really start getting heavy when the season starts and search time is at a premium.

Thanks

Apologies since not a comment on McCoy per se...but please what are the preferred rules / conventions for this type of news going forward?

In May it was discussed at length how a Breaking News thread would be created that would be then be folded into the player threads at some time afterwards. 

If there was any news for which that might have been appropriate it would have the McKinnon situation and yet that was talked about in various ways in three different player threads (McKinnon, Morris, Breida) with no new thread created.

I'm just hoping for some clarity before things really start getting heavy when the season starts and search time is at a premium.

Thanks
This probably isn't the most efficient place to come for breaking news.

When McCoy plays he will most likely be a RB1, but is still somewhat of a ticking time bomb.  It’s a gamble, as a couple game suspension wouldn’t be the end of the world but a suspension around playoff time would be a killer.  

PhantomJB said:
True. It's the subsequent discussion I'm most interested in, especially when decision-making time is at a premium.
So get your news elsewhere and then come here and discuss it in the appropriate thread as it relates to said player.

PhantomJB said:

Thanks
In my opinion, topics should be started as news breaks.

I think this thread is perfect. Way better than a 50+ page McCoy thread with super old posts. 

If there's a signficant news story that breaks, start a thread on it. We don't need 3 threads on the topic of McCoy not being put on the exempt list. But one is perfect. 

PhantomJB said:
True. It's the subsequent discussion I'm most interested in, especially when decision-making time is at a premium.
Correct. News will likely never break here. 

But news is cheap. It's everywhere for free.

What's valuable is a group of smart like minded people discussing what the news means. That's where this forum can shine. 

SameSongNDance said:
Judging by his ex's actions I'm 99% sure he didn't do anything wrong. I'm not worried about him being suspended because the police investigation will not turn up anything. I am worried about every other red flag though. 
couldn't you make the exact opposite statement based on his past history?

Having the random black cloud of NFL justice hanging over the week-to-week prospects of what is likely your 3rd round pick can’t be enjoyable.

rockaction said:
I think that the league picks and chooses when it wants to enact traditional notions of due process, and it's player-specific and unfair and unjust. 

:lol:   so much wrong with this response

Really? Where?

Because the NFL is excrutiatingly thorough with its investigations, which is why timelines can seem very long.  But the investigations and the punishment - or lack thereof - is definitely not arbitrary.  

Due process?  This isn’t the government, this is a private company.  There is a form of due process though.  The accused gets to see the charges and evidence and has a right to appeal.  The appeal goes through the same person who applied the punishment.  

It is situation specific certainly.  And unfair and unjust?  Who are you to say that is the case?  Do you read the league evidence put forth in each case that you can make this judgment?  Did you see how detailed and thorough the case was against Elliott?  A DA may have thought he didn’t have enough evidence to convict Elliott, but the league’s position was very strongly supported and very compelling.  IMO - and mine only - he got off lightly.  And the league doesn’t need evidence to make a case beyond a reasonable doubt - only that the preponderance is strong enough to make a reasonable person think the action had been committed.

The league has an obligation to protect itself and does.  Any PR nightmare like player misbehavior is a black eye for them, and they are dealing with a bunch of rich, young, immature, entitled men 24/7/365.  But if you saw how thorough the league is, and if you saw how detailed the investigations are, the last thing that would come to mind is that they are being unfair and unjust.  But unfortunately the public doesn’t see this in the vast predominance of the cases, so they make uneducated statements based only upon some 1 minute news blurbs and the well publicized position of the player’s attorney.

Because the NFL is excrutiatingly thorough with its investigations, which is why timelines can seem very long.  But the investigations and the punishment - or lack thereof - is definitely not arbitrary.  

Due process?  This isn’t the government, this is a private company.  There is a form of due process though.  The accused gets to see the charges and evidence and has a right to appeal.  The appeal goes through the same person who applied the punishment.  

It is situation specific certainly.  And unfair and unjust?  Who are you to say that is the case?  Do you read the league evidence put forth in each case that you can make this judgment?  Did you see how detailed and thorough the case was against Elliott?  A DA may have thought he didn’t have enough evidence to convict Elliott, but the league’s position was very strongly supported and very compelling.  IMO - and mine only - he got off lightly.  And the league doesn’t need evidence to make a case beyond a reasonable doubt - only that the preponderance is strong enough to make a reasonable person think the action had been committed.

The league has an obligation to protect itself and does.  Any PR nightmare like player misbehavior is a black eye for them, and they are dealing with a bunch of rich, young, immature, entitled men 24/7/365.  But if you saw how thorough the league is, and if you saw how detailed the investigations are, the last thing that would come to mind is that they are being unfair and unjust.  But unfortunately the public doesn’t see this in the vast predominance of the cases, so they make uneducated statements based only upon some 1 minute news blurbs and the well publicized position of the player’s attorney.
So the NFL was excruciatingly thorough and not arbitrary when it gave Ray Rice a 2 game suspension?

There is an ongoing investigation.  I think that is all this event tells anyone.  And that there is no change in the overall tone of the investigation. 

Commenting on the process, the start of the season seemed to force a temporary decision to be made. And so they did.

In my opinion, as of that date, the evidence presented to the league of illegality was probably not close enough to establishing guilt that the league is concerned about liability.  If the evidence was, such as the case of Ezekiel Elliot, the league would have likely have tried to act immediately, affirmatively and proactively to brunt any potential legal and public backlash.

Just my thoughts.    

couldn't you make the exact opposite statement based on his past history?
I believe prior to this McCoy was accused of being a bad tipper, and spraying people with champaigne on a party bus.

That history?

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by his ex's actions I'm 99% sure he didn't do anything wrong. I'm not worried about him being suspended because the police investigation will not turn up anything. I am worried about every other red flag though.
Word is that ATL police aren't going to be charging McCoy with anything. This would be because he didn't do anything wrong. 

Police in Milton, Georgia have been investigating an armed robbery and aggravated assault incident for two months, but have yet to uncover anything incriminating against Bills’ RB LeSean McCoy, per sources.

AS

Tex

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy is not expected to be charged following a police investigation into a home invasion at a Georgia property owned by McCoy due to a lack of evidence, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

He is also unlikely to be suspended by the NFL, added Rapoport.

McCoy's former girlfriend, Delicia Cordon, was living at the property at the time of the incident and filed a personal injury lawsuit against the star back. The lawsuit claimed McCoy and his former college teammate Tamarcus Porter "are liable for the assault, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress suffered" by Cordon after McCoy changed the home's security codes.

More to come.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread