What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Windows transition question (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
My son and I just built a new PC to replace his old one.  We installed an M2 SSD to be the main storage and want to transition Windows to the SSD.  Presently, he's running Windows 10 (7 upgrade) on an old HD.  Anyone know an efficient way to do this?  TIA

Do you have separate data and OS partitions? If so, clone the window's partition over to your SSD, and then transfer data. 

If not, is the old size larger than your new SSD? If not, clone the old partition. If it is, get an external hard drive, to transfer enough stuff over to, in order to get the size below your SSD, and then clone to your SSD. 

First, buy a cloner. Here is one for $20.

Then buy an M2 adapter. Here is one for $5.

Then clone the old drive to the SSD.

Or, you can download the Windows 7 ISO and then buy a Windows 7 product key online for $20 and then use the media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10.

If you've got the original Windows 7 sticker for the computer, you can just reuse it.

Size isn’t an issue and I cloned the HD onto the SSD. I changed the BIOS instructions to boot from the SSD and Windows asked for a boot CD. I have the product key but don’t think I have the boot CD. 

Now what?

Thanks for the help so far. 

Size isn’t an issue and I cloned the HD onto the SSD. I changed the BIOS instructions to boot from the SSD and Windows asked for a boot CD. I have the product key but don’t think I have the boot CD. 

Now what?

Thanks for the help so far. 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

Holy hell do they make this a difficult and annoying process.  Trying to download Win 7 ISO and it asks for my key.  After I type it in, I get to a page saying not to refresh as it will cancel the entry and this process can take several minutes to validate my product key.  After 15 minutes on the same page with the swirling circle, I closed it.  I will gladly pay $20 to bypass this nonsense.

Agreed.  Any specific reason you need to clone the existing one, Chet?
I agree with both of you so I bit the bullet and bought a new version of Win 10 home.  It's downloading now.

Should I format the SSD (erase the clone I did last night)?  I don't want a bunch of old windows files all over the place.

I agree with both of you so I bit the bullet and bought a new version of Win 10 home.  It's downloading now.

Should I format the SSD (erase the clone I did last night)?  I don't want a bunch of old windows files all over the place.
Yes, I'd reformat the SSD.

Sounds like you got this figured out, but for future reference you don't need to purchase windows to download the iso onto a usb stick or to install windows. It will install fine and even update without issue with out being activated.  After 30 days you get a watermark on the bottom of you screen that says "Activate Windows".  Its really not that bad.  If it gets annoying to you there are licenses for sale on ebay for $10-15.

Users who are viewing this thread