What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming D/ST, who ya got week 1? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Team D/ST Streamers! 

Who ya got & why?

I’m going Bengals - playing Indy...I still haven’t seen Luck throw for more than 25 yards. Mack is likely out. Cinci feels like a defense on the rise. 

The Indy OL isn’t awesome and Gano Atkins is a 1-man wrecking crew against good OLs. I love their week 15-16 schedule too. :wub:  

Who ya got week 1? 

(Note; any top 15 (85% owned & up) isn’t helpful. heh

Saints D hosting the Buccaneers.
I don't know -- and this is not a knock on your league because I'm seeing it all over the place -- how NO's defense is on wires. It finished 6th in DVOA last year -- for the whole year. And they added guys. 

I think it's why the Saints signed Gillislee for essentially four weeks. This is a Super Bowl contender and they're going for it in their window.  

I misunderstood — didn’t think streaming necessarily meant WW defenses going into week one.
Ahhh, I see. I was wondering. Yeah, I actually got sniped this year on NO D/ST by a leaguemate who knows what he's doing year-in, year-out, so I was a bit surprised at seeing NO in this and the other thread, especially given that you're kind of clearly a fan (homer in the best way possible, maybe, even...).

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted Chicago for their season-long value, but Detroit/Cinci are available and I'm thinking of dropping Marlon Mack for one of them. I think Cinci's D could be legit this year.

Saints are the play.  Detroit, Green Bay, Cinci are some good ones for week 1 that may be on waivers though.

I misunderstood — didn’t think streaming necessarily meant WW defenses going into week one.
Yeah, that’s why in the OP I said “top 15 D/ST aren’t really helpful” 

streaming = adding defenses off the wire to start week to week.

if you strike gold, by all means keep them,  but I’m an “end of draft D/ST” guy (2nd to last pick) and always manage to find something on the wire - sometimes I have to stream for a couple weeks to get there. last year I struck gold with JAX, but as an IDP guy I knew the pieces were there.

That’s partly why I love Cinci this week and maybe beyond - the pieces are there for this to be a top 5 D/ST this season. 

But I do like their week 1 matchup as a streamer regardless. 

They’re a pretty decent defense regardless, but this matchup and at home is hard not to like. They’re on my list of streamers right behind Cinci.

whats your alternative? 
I drafted Houston to be my main defense. If Clowney/Watt healthy, they can be a dangerous duo, obviously not a great play week 1 though. 

I drafted Houston to be my main defense. If Clowney/Watt healthy, they can be a dangerous duo, obviously not a great play week 1 though. 
I tend to “never bench my studs” and week 1, HOU is at their healthiest. 

That said, AT Foxborough is never a great start so you might be right. 

But if I’d spent the pick on HOU, I’d probably start HOU regardless. 

Tough call. 

Drafted everywhere as a top 5 D/ST. 

That’s not a streamer. :doh:  

its right in the topic title, folks.  C’mon, we did these last year and the year before, too. lol
They are a streamer for me as I have The Saints D as well and I guarantee I will not be starting the Ravens every week.

They are a streamer for me as I have The Saints D as well and I guarantee I will not be starting the Ravens every week.
A nice pairing of D/ST, but that’s not regally what a streamer is. 

You drafted two good defenses & are mixing & matching.

good drafting though.  :hifive:

Yeah, that’s why in the OP I said “top 15 D/ST aren’t really helpful” 

streaming = adding defenses off the wire to start week to week.

if you strike gold, by all means keep them,  but I’m an “end of draft D/ST” guy (2nd to last pick) and always manage to find something on the wire - sometimes I have to stream for a couple weeks to get there. last year I struck gold with JAX, but as an IDP guy I knew the pieces were there.

That’s partly why I love Cinci this week and maybe beyond - the pieces are there for this to be a top 5 D/ST this season. 

But I do like their week 1 matchup as a streamer regardless. 
I follow now. In my live leagues, we have to fill every position ... so we always have a defense on our rosters going into Week One. So, if we aim to stream Ds all season long, we're still drafting and rostering our Week One defense. After that, though, the WW picking can begin in earnest.

I follow now. In my live leagues, we have to fill every position ... so we always have a defense on our rosters going into Week One. So, if we aim to stream Ds all season long, we're still drafting and rostering our Week One defense. After that, though, the WW picking can begin in earnest.
I wish I could afford to do it all year - at $5/add, it would cost ~$80 

we do draft 1, and this year I took the Bengals as I have a good feeling about them.

But I usually stream for the first couple weeks until I strike gold (or I get lucky out of the gate)! - if CIN isn’t as good as I expect after a week or 2 I’ll swap for a team that is (I love the Falcons as an up & coming D as well, I just don’t like their opening few weeks) .

good luck! 

zftcg said:
I drafted Chicago for their season-long value, but Detroit/Cinci are available and I'm thinking of dropping Marlon Mack for one of them. I think Cinci's D could be legit this year.
I dropped Mack for Detroit. But a few caveats:

* My league has a little bit of RB talent on the wire, so it's not like Mack is gold standing out amongst coal. 
* I have Hou D (I know not everyone likes them) but I like a lot of their schedule and do NOT like it this week. 
* I have Conner (not Bell) so I have a little more RB depth than I expected to have early in the year.

So it made sense, considering Mack isn't the entrenched starter and he's injured. I think I might need the points this week. 

Worth dropping KC D for CIN or DET?
I think Cinci for sure will be better than KC. 

Every draft pick & offseason move would have to work out perfectly for KC for this unit to even be as good as last season. 

And they weren’t great last season. 

• Smile
Reactions: One
Bengals are a decent sleeper play, Colts o-line still sucks, RB's are bad, Luck could be rusty. 
Colts surrendered 50+ sacks last year & the line is uh, pretty much still as bad. 

Cinci has a ferocious D-line, vicious LBs and an above average (if underrated) secondary.

Added to this magical elixir, the Colts run game is a shambles & we still have yet to see Luck throw downfield. 

Wild-### prediction pulled straight out of my backside: 13 PA, 4 sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF/DRF & 1 DTD. 

:shrug:

ATL Defense, Packers defense, Jets, Miami

come on now, Philly drinks their own Kool-aid we have some books written by the coach, some banner raising and patting ourselves on the back stuff going on, and Atl comes in a knocks the snot out of them..whats recent history of SB champs , opening night, losing? last year it was KC punking NE right? it's going to happen again tomorrow night, ATL baby!

Tenn Titans absolutely suck so far, they look, potentially, like they're one of the worst 5 teams in the league. Miami is good at home, in the blistering heat at a 1pm game - good luck Tenn.see you mid 3rd quarter sucking wind.

Bears are still the lowly Bears.at GB vs a healthy Rodgers in a primetime game? wow.Pacpk a 7 pt fave? blowout on the agenda here. 

and dont' believe the hype - Lion suck.badly. Jets' defense is for real.great front 7. Det can't run the ball.at all. dont think that Darnold is going to fold like a cheap tent in a hurricane..he's good in this spot.

Colts surrendered 50+ sacks last year & the line is uh, pretty much still as bad. 

Cinci has a ferocious D-line, vicious LBs and an above average (if underrated) secondary.

Added to this magical elixir, the Colts run game is a shambles & we still have yet to see Luck throw downfield. 

Wild-### prediction pulled straight out of my backside: 13 PA, 4 sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF/DRF & 1 DTD. 

:shrug:
Is that true? They get Kelly back and they drafted Nelson. Also sounds like they may shift to a shorter passing game due to Luck's shoulder.

Not saying that means Cinci is a bad play, just interrogating the assumption that the O-line is definitely still a weakness for Indy.

I dropped Mack for Detroit. But a few caveats:

* My league has a little bit of RB talent on the wire, so it's not like Mack is gold standing out amongst coal. 
* I have Hou D (I know not everyone likes them) but I like a lot of their schedule and do NOT like it this week. 
* I have Conner (not Bell) so I have a little more RB depth than I expected to have early in the year.

So it made sense, considering Mack isn't the entrenched starter and he's injured. I think I might need the points this week. 
Actually thinking of dropping Penny instead of Mack. I figure it's very unlikely anything happens in Week 1 that increases his value.

Now my dilemma is which D to pick up. Leaning Cinci but also considering Detroit and Tenn. Detroit makes me nervous, and I don't like Tenn playing on the road in swampy conditions.

Is that true? They get Kelly back and they drafted Nelson. Also sounds like they may shift to a shorter passing game due to Luck's shoulder.

Not saying that means Cinci is a bad play, just interrogating the assumption that the O-line is definitely still a weakness for Indy.
They didn’t need look great in preseason. Luck took some hits & was running for his life.

They didn’t need look great in preseason. Luck took some hits & was running for his life.
On the one hand, this seems like a textbook example of when not to read too much into preseason. It takes time for lines to jell, especially when they have new pieces.

On the other hand, in the specific situation we're discussing here, the fact that they didn't have it worked out in preseason suggests that they won't have it worked out by Week 1.

On the one hand, this seems like a textbook example of when not to read too much into preseason. It takes time for lines to jell, especially when they have new pieces.

On the other hand, in the specific situation we're discussing here, the fact that they didn't have it worked out in preseason suggests that they won't have it worked out by Week 1.
To the former, I agree somewhat. 

To the latter, I believe that to be the case because opposing defenses are incredibly vanilla in their schemes in the preseason, and they still managed to hurry & hit Luck, forcing him out of the pocket more than once. 

On the most talked about Colts play of the preseason, people took away how mobile Luck looked, and how great it was he could be tackled & not end up crippled. 

My take away was, “wow, this OL sucks.”

Bengals will have 4 sacks this week or my name isn’t Buster J Featherworth III.

*ok, that’s not actually my name, but I do like the Bengals as a streamer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got Green Bay this week.  Vegas line had Chicago scoring the fewest points of any free agent DST opponent in my league, and we score points and yards allowed and that’s been a good strategy for me in the past.

that was before they got Mack but probably won’t change it much if at all I’d think

I’ve got Green Bay this week.  Vegas line had Chicago scoring the fewest points of any free agent DST opponent in my league, and we score points and yards allowed and that’s been a good strategy for me in the past.

that was before they got Mack but probably won’t change it much if at all I’d think
It’s a nice play, but they were drafted in most leagues. 

I don't know -- and this is not a knock on your league because I'm seeing it all over the place -- how NO's defense is on wires. It finished 6th in DVOA last year -- for the whole year. And they added guys. 

I think it's why the Saints signed Gillislee for essentially four weeks. This is a Super Bowl contender and they're going for it in their window.  
I drafted the Saints. Wish I hadn't. 

Not a streamer but Baltimore so close to being the stuff of legends today.  Could have had three touchdowns and a shutout.  This game was why I drafted them.

Users who are viewing this thread