What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction people-YOUR results & mistakes (1 Viewer)

shadrap

Footballguy
My final draft is tonight at local bar in a buddies league that has been around forever.  Auction-12 team league-PPR($200 cap)-draft 16 players-start 10.  This is the highlight of all the drafts I do.  We had a strategy thread for auctions & just wondering how you did & the flow of your draft's.  What you did right & wrong.  A few dollar amounts for your players would be appreciated along with league size & if PPR?

Thinking this will be my final primer-hope that's not too selfish.

Did my friends league action last week.  $200 cap, 12 team, start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1Flex, 1TE, 6 BN.  6 pt QB TD's.  This is a $350 buy in league that been around for about 7 years.

Notes:

WR's went for more then I thought they were worth for non-ppr.  
QB's were very cheap.  Rodgers 17, Brady 11, Wilson 7
$'s followed espn's estimates pretty closely

My plan was to get a couple mid RB1's, and one or two of Collins, Drake, Miller, Lynch, Hyde. and then scrap together WR out of the low WR2 group. Worked for the most part, I regret not getting on WR1 like Green or Hill for around $40. 

Every year I end up bidding on a guy I don't really want cause they seem to cheap then getting stuck with them.  This year it was Brady.  He was the first QB nominated and I bid 11 and ended up with him.  While not a huge deal, it wasn't part of the "plan".  I would have rather had two cheap guys for $1 each.  

The top TE's went for what I thought they should (30-40) while the Mid TE1's went for less.  I got Reed for $4.

Top 60 buy $ below.

1Todd Gurley II, LAR RB  71

2Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB     67

3David Johnson, Ari RB   66

4Antonio Brown, Pit WR   61

5Saquon Barkley, NYG RB  60

6Ezekiel Elliott, Dal RB    55

7Odell Beckham Jr., NYG WR  55

8DeAndre Hopkins, Hou WR  54

9Leonard Fournette, Jax RB   52

10Kareem Hunt, KC RB    50

11Melvin Gordon, LAC RB  49

12Alvin Kamara, NO RB    47

13Julio Jones, Atl WR   47

14Keenan Allen, LAC WR   46

15Christian McCaffrey, Car RB  43

16Michael Thomas, NO WR   40

17Rob Gronkowski, NE TE   40

18Tyreek Hill, KC WR   40

19Devonta Freeman, Atl RB   39

20Dalvin Cook, Min RB   38

21A.J. Green, Cin WR   37

22Davante Adams, GB WR   36

23Joe Mixon, Cin RB       35

24Mike Evans, TB WR     34

25Travis Kelce, KC TE     32

26Jordan Howard, Chi RB    31

27Alex Collins, Bal RB  29

28Royce Freeman, Den RB    28

29Stefon Diggs, Min WR    27

30T.Y. Hilton, Ind WR   27

31Lamar Miller, Hou RB    26

32Derrick Henry, Ten RB25

33Jerick McKinnon, SF RB24

34Adam Thielen, Min WR24

35Kenyan Drake, Mia RB23

36LeSean McCoy, Buf RB23

37Amari Cooper, Oak WR22

38Zach Ertz, Phi TE21

39Doug Baldwin, Sea WR20

40JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pit WR20

41Marvin Jones Jr., Det WR19

42Emmanuel Sanders, Den WR  19

43Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR19

44Chris Hogan, NE WR18

45Josh Gordon, Cle WR18

46Marquise Goodwin, SF WR18

47Allen Robinson, Chi WR18

48Jay Ajayi, Phi RB17

49Demaryius Thomas, Den WR17

50Chris Carson, Sea RB17

51Aaron Rodgers, GB QB17

52Jarvis Landry, Cle WR16

53Peyton Barber, TB RB16

54Golden Tate, Det WR16

55Robert Woods, LAR WR15

56Carlos Hyde, Cle RB15

57Deshaun Watson, Hou QB14

58Mark Ingram II, NO RB13

59Jimmy Graham, GB TE13

60Dion Lewis, Ten RB13

Love auction leagues, in a couple each year.  My worst auctions were when I focused on chasing after bargains and didn't land any studs.  Still look for bargains but need to bite the bullet on a few guys and pay the going rate.

I think listing prices is a fruitless exercise since values vary from one auction to another depending on league settings and simply supply and demand.

That said, Johnson seems to be going second these days and close to Gurley's price. Bell has been dropping to third in price although last night he dropped below Elliott. Hunt seems to always be the most affordable of the top 10 RBs. Fournette is gaining in price. McCaffrey is through the roof these days as much if not sometimes more than any of the 6-10 RBs.

Gronk has been going significantly more than Kelce who always goes a few bucks more than Ertz. For some reason, Gronk is almost double the price of Kelce in some of my leagues.

Brown always goes a few dollars more than the next tier. Although Hopkins is a couple of bucks less, Jones and OBJ are just a couple of buck below Hopkins. Allen, Thomas, and Adams are very expensive, too. Usually only a few bucks less than the top 4.  Hill is climbing up. Hilton seems to be the best value of the top 10 WRs.

Cooks always seems affordable to me in the WR 2 conversation. Ju-Ju is getting pricier. Hogan and Gordon have varied in price. Sometimes fair, sometimes expensive. Depends on the league owners.

As far as QBs. Rodgers and Watson are the expensive tier. Cam and Wilson seem to go for decent value. QBs 6 and below go for almost nothing as they are nominated late. Usually $4 or less.

Some of the lower ranked players will go for much more money when every team has money early in the draft. The last top players in a tier always go for as much if not more than higher-ranked players.

As far as mistakes: um, I don't know. There will always be some players that go for more or less than you expect. Are they mistakes? You sometimes just can't predict the future.

I got hosed last night in a Yahoo draft because something was happening where there was a lag. There were a bunch of players that I couldn't technically bid on. Something was going on with my browser and the Yahoo software. My mistake wasn't switching browsers until about 30 minutes into the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think listing prices is a fruitless exercise since values vary from one auction to another depending on league settings and simply supply and demand.

That said, Johnson seems to be going second these days and close to Gurley's price. Bell has been dropping to third in price although last night he dropped below Elliott. Hunt seems to always be the most affordable of the top 10 RBs. Fournette is gaining in price. McCaffrey is through the roof these days as much if not sometimes more than any of the 6-10 RBs.

Gronk has been going significantly more than Kelce who always goes a few bucks more than Ertz. For some reason, Gronk is almost double the price of Kelce in some of my leagues.

Brown always goes a few dollars more than the next tier. Although Hopkins is a couple of bucks less, Jones and OBJ are just a couple of buck below Hopkins. Allen, Thomas, and Adams are very expensive, too. Usually only a few bucks less than the top 4.  Hill is climbing up. Hilton seems to be the best value of the top 10 WRs.

Cooks always seems affordable to me in the WR 2 conversation. Ju-Ju is getting pricier. Hogan and Gordon have varied in price. Sometimes fair, sometimes expensive. Depends on the league owners.

As far as QBs. Rodgers and Watson are the expensive tier. Cam and Wilson seem to go for decent value. QBs 6 and below go for almost nothing as they are nominated late. Usually $4 or less.

Some of the lower ranked players will go for much more money when every team has money early in the draft. The last top players in a tier always go for as much if not more than higher-ranked players.

As far as mistakes: um, I don't know. There will always be some players that go for more or less than you expect. Are they mistakes? You sometimes just can't predict the future.

I got hosed last night in a Yahoo draft because something was happening where there was a lag. There were a bunch of players that I couldn't technically bid on. Something was going on with my browser and the Yahoo software. My mistake wasn't switching browsers until about 30 minutes into the draft.
Your take & abbotts are what I was hoping NOT to be the case.  The guys I was hoping for a bargain is confirmed by both of you that everyone else thinks the same thing.  I'm talking Fournette, M. Thomas, Da Adams, Barber, Collins, Hogan.

argggggg

Your take & abbotts are what I was hoping NOT to be the case.  The guys I was hoping for a bargain is confirmed by both of you that everyone else thinks the same thing.  I'm talking Fournette, M. Thomas, Da Adams, Barber, Collins, Hogan.

argggggg
I've done 5 seasonal-management auction drafts (one last night) and 30 best ball auctions.

Yeah, Fournette has been on the increase. I've been able to get him in the late 40s as opposed to early 40s a couple of weeks ago, but I've seen him go as high as 56 and 58.

Thomas has gone between $36-45. Some leagues are WR heavy.

D. Adams has usually gone between $36-39, but I've seen $41-42.

People are catching on to Barber, but you can still get him between $7-10 late in drafts.

Collins typically goes between $20-23, but once in a blue moon higher.

Hogan has gone anywhere from $10 to $23 (last night).

argggggg
It only takes 2 guys with the strategy of waiting for these guys to kill all their value.  Seems to be worse the closer you get to the start of the season.

I wanted Collins bad and was willing to go to the high $20's for him, but I value RBs much more than WR.

Had my auction last night.  I won't get into specific prices much because they can be heavily influenced not only by league settings but also by the timing of when players are put up for nomination.  And it also can only take two people who really like the same player to drive up the price.  So personal preferences of your league are a big factor as well.

General feedback from my draft- 

Although I think Gurley was the consensus #1 on everyone's board, Zeke actually set a record for the highest bid in history of our league.  Fournette tied Gurley for 2nd highest coming in $5 cheaper ($210 budget for 18 player roster).  Barkley and DJ were the next 2 highest.  I got Bell at the same price as Gordon and Hunt, tied for 8th highest bids, and substantially cheaper than the others in the top 4 I grouped him with.  The increasing risk related to his holdout really drove down his price.  

Guys like Jamaal Williams and to a lesser extent, Royce Freeman and Chris Thompson went for much higher than I thought they would have due to timing.  They represented the last of tiers of RBs and people felt they had to keep bidding for them..  

To me, there is a lot of WR value this year after the top 15 or so.  I liked JuJu but his price was to high for me in my draft. Hogan went for $1 less than JuJu.  There was a lot of value below that price point IMO.

For QBs, I actually think the top guys for my league settings were a relatively good value as was the position overall.  Cam was the only QB who I though was way overbid.  

To answer the OP question, what I did right was get relative value on two stud RBs, a WR1, WR depth, and decent QBs.  What I did wrong was not be patient and more strategic about targeting RB depth.

I go in with the same strategy every year of targeting selected studs and having confidence in my ability to identify value to fill out my roster. But I ran into the same problem I usually have in that I lose some discipline and miss out on some of the value picks I targeted.  The result is a roster that has high scoring potential if everyone is healthy and playing but very vulnerable to injury and bust situations.  As always I'll have to be diligent in working the wire for RB depth.

It only takes 2 guys with the strategy of waiting for these guys to kill all their value.  Seems to be worse the closer you get to the start of the season.

I wanted Collins bad and was willing to go to the high $20's for him, but I value RBs much more than WR.
Agreed.  It only takes 2 guys who really like someone or who have been sitting on their money to drive up a price.

Of the players mentioned, only Barber was had for value.  Collins went in the low 30s to a Ravens homer.  I was targeting both M. Thomas and Adams as my WR1.  I had to settle for Evans who was $4 cheaper, though my preference would have been Allen who went for the same price.  I waited and it didnt really work out.

A lot of folks tend to want to wait on nominating players they really like thinking they will get a better price.  I have found that you get some of the better deals by being aggressive early.  But again, its all relative.

We had our big auction draft last night. 12 team with 17 roster spots. 200 budget and we get to choose one keeper for 5 more than what we spent on them last year. I kept Kamara for a total of 10. 

It's been running for 10 years. Very top heavy. I paid 80 for Antonio Brown once. I bid 78 for him last night but 79 took him. I got Gronk for 50. 

Royce Freeman turned out to be a bidding war guy. Me and one other owner were the only ones bidding after it got to about 25. He went for 42. I missed out.

Overall I love my team. Biggest mistake I made was getting Ty Montgomery for 2. Not bad really. Just didn't want him. 

Guys like Fournette and Hunt went for mid 60s. 

Cam 5 Jimmy G 3

Kamara 10* Hyde 7 Chubb 5 JWilliams 14 Kerryon 12 Clement 1 Ty 2

Cooper 40 Gordon 23 Juju 17 Davis 6 Miller 1

Gronk 50

Broncos 2 Prater 1

There are at least a half dozen streamable TEs I can pick up when needed. I'll probably drop Ty and grab one.

We had our big auction draft last night. 12 team with 17 roster spots. 200 budget and we get to choose one keeper for 5 more than what we spent on them last year. I kept Kamara for a total of 10. 

It's been running for 10 years. Very top heavy. I paid 80 for Antonio Brown once. I bid 78 for him last night but 79 took him. I got Gronk for 50. 

Royce Freeman turned out to be a bidding war guy. Me and one other owner were the only ones bidding after it got to about 25. He went for 42. I missed out.

Overall I love my team. Biggest mistake I made was getting Ty Montgomery for 2. Not bad really. Just didn't want him. 

Guys like Fournette and Hunt went for mid 60s. 

Cam 5 Jimmy G 3

Kamara 10* Hyde 7 Chubb 5 JWilliams 14 Kerryon 12 Clement 1 Ty 2

Cooper 40 Gordon 23 Juju 17 Davis 6 Miller 1

Gronk 50

Broncos 2 Prater 1

There are at least a half dozen streamable TEs I can pick up when needed. I'll probably drop Ty and grab one.
Very Very helpful!   It only takes two guys to love a guy & boom.

Very Very helpful!   It only takes two guys to love a guy & boom.
This league also gives 6 pts for passing TDs so the top QBs usually go pretty high. Rodgers went 34. Brady 19. Wilson and Watson were low 20s. But because it is such a top heavy draft, values pop everywhere. I'm not a huge Cam fan but I really got him for 5?! I've seen him go in this league for nearly 30. Big Ben/Stafford/Ryan each went for 2. 

As has been said above, each league and each draft is different. One possible theme I've seen (not auction specific) is that there *appears* to be more top end talent this year at RB and WR. QB and TE are super deep. So I would expect a lot of auction money to be spent at the top, perhaps more than usual, which will leave tons of value elsewhere. 

This happened to me, too, when using Yahoo. I ended up with 15/16 players and $42 out of $200 left, because it kept preventing me from bidding on players, or it'd show 3-4 seconds left then end immediately. 

Was using Chrome. 

This happened to me, too, when using Yahoo. I ended up with 15/16 players and $42 out of $200 left, because it kept preventing me from bidding on players, or it'd show 3-4 seconds left then end immediately. 

Was using Chrome. 
Man, that sucks. I was using Firefox, so maybe it wasn't the browser. I ended up switching to a laptop after a half hour and it was fine.

I had issues with Chrome doing snake mocks and thought it might be my laptop.  So I went to my office and did the auction, also on chrome, on my work pcu.

I had no issues but several league members had lag and other problems during draft, I think using chrome.

I'm doing my snake tonight in microsoft browser where I tested mocks without issue.

Man, that sucks. I was using Firefox, so maybe it wasn't the browser. I ended up switching to a laptop after a half hour and it was fine.
My friend was sitting next to me, using chrome on his laptop and had no issue, on the same wifi.  Considering it's a free yahoo league, guess you get what you pay for.

Good stuff here, thanks for posting everyone. I had my non-PPR keeper auction two weeks ago. 14 teams, short bench, $140 cap, live auction. Some observations:

All Dallas players not named Zeke went at a heavy discount. Dak $3, Gallup $3, Hurns $5. If you're a Dallas fan, u can go to town. This isn't that far off from consensus ADP btw.

Chicago players were dirt cheap also, except Howard who was a keeper. This one's gonna be not helpful here since Cohen at $2 is ridiculous if this was PPR. ARob at $8 looks to be a damn good deal.

Royce Freeman went for $32 for the Denver backfield, which is close to elite RB money in this league. Comparatively Booker went for $5. This league tends to follow public perception quite heavily and Freeman looks to be the guy.

Aaron Rodgers did not command top money like he use to north of $40. He went for $35 early in the draft. On this, there are a lot more auction content out there in the Web, so bidding is getting tighter every year. We're going on our 22nd season and half of that have been auctions. I'm not sure if this is a Rodgers concern that kept his bids low, or the latter. I'm guessing latter because Brees went for $22 and in the past 5 years I don't think I've seen either of these guys fall below $36 - $38 range.

Two mistakes for me -- I had Marquis Lee as a keeper and didn't prepare to pick up his backup. Let K Cole slide on the cheap to another owner because I ran out of funds early. Ended up with Dede Westbrook off the waiver after the draft.

Early in the draft for some reason I got into a bidding war for D Carr. Why you ask? I dunno why, that's why I'm posting this as the dumb thing I did. I had him on my roster since his rookie season and drank the Gruden kool aid. Classic drafting with the heart and not the brain. I dunno. Ended up getting Big Ben cheap so evens out the position little bit, but I had all the intention of taking Mahomes, who went cheaper than either of these guys.

I used Chrome for ESPN last night. It was perfect on my end. There was a weird situation, though, where another guy had a lag on his end and he ended up getting Juju for 24, but then got the commish to pause and award him to me for 17. 

Other owner said his system lagged when he had bid somewhere in the mid teens. He then went on autobid against me and *we* took it up to 24 before I gave up. But he said he never wanted to go that high so the Commish asked me when the war started and I guessed 17. So I got him and nobody else complained. But a superstrange situation. I joked in the chat that I should have said 14. Cause I was obviously willing to pay 23. Nobody else had bid after those midteens. It *was* just me and him. Anyway I don't know which browser he was using but IMO Chrome is the best for almost anything.

pigskin said:

Early in the draft for some reason I got into a bidding war for D Carr. Why you ask? I dunno why, that's why I'm posting this as the dumb thing I did. I had him on my roster since his rookie season and drank the Gruden kool aid. Classic drafting with the heart and not the brain. I dunno. Ended up getting Big Ben cheap so evens out the position little bit, but I had all the intention of taking Mahomes, who went cheaper than either of these guys.

who get's in a bidding war for Carr? LOL.   At least you got Ben.   I just have to remember not to bid on a guy I  don't want.   Nothing worse than having the high bid on a guy, realize their is no way you want him,  & watch the seconds tick by with you praying for someone to jump in and bid.

Recent auction convert. Love it. No way I'm ever going back to snake again.

In my ten team, PPR keeper league, I was finding great bargains on lots of mid level WRs with upside. Guys whose values have fluctuated a bit over the last couple seasons but have potential to help fill a steady role on your team... Emmanuel Sanders, Allen Robinson, etc. Even Amari Cooper was available at a decent price. On the other hand, it seemed like RBs were to be had at a premium, although some guys (Gordon, for example) went for less than expected after the top tier players at their position were gone.

Right before he got injured I bid someone up on McKinnon and then got stuck with him. Nothing worse than eating a player you never really wanted in the first place.

Mine starts in an hour.  Every year my big regret is not going out and getting my guys.  I always get up there and just bow out a few bucks early, and then I end up with someone I don't want.  I'm grabbing my 3-4 core guys this year and I'll worry about the benches later.

Mine starts in an hour.  Every year my big regret is not going out and getting my guys.  I always get up there and just bow out a few bucks early, and then I end up with someone I don't want.  I'm grabbing my 3-4 core guys this year and I'll worry about the benches later.
Always prefer this strategy- studs and duds. Nothing worse than getting stuck holding the bag.

I out-waited myself in a couple of leagues, but nothing egregious. Biggest regret other than that is being unable to resist the urge to pickup stud QB's like Brady/Wilson/Newton for less than $10 even though I'm high on guys like Mahomes and Jimmy G. 

Also I have gone into some draft with the "I'm just going to bid on guys I really want" mindset and I'll pass up on some good/reasonable deals early on studs at rb/wr and then end up bidding way more for a guy I'm high on later who's in the same tier. 

Unlike snake drafts, in auctions you typically want to be drafting the players at the start of each tier before it's down to just 1-2 players and 3-4 owners hungry for them. 

Always prefer this strategy- studs and duds. Nothing worse than getting stuck holding the bag.
Me too and it has paid great dividends.  Last two years though, WRs have started to be way overvalued and I kept bowing out when they close in on 60 (non-PPR).  So lacking a true 1 WR puts me at a disadvantage.  Need to do better next year.  

Here were my results in 10 team standard (keepers in bold)

QB Tom Brady 10

RB David Johnson 66

RB Collins 6

WR D Thomas 27

WR Diggs 6

Flex Goodwin 13

TE Kelce 33

K Boswell 1

DEF Rams 3 

BN Hyde 12

BN K Johnson 11

BN N Agholor 3

BN Ross 1

BN DJ Moore 1

BN D Booker 1

10 team, $200 cap, start QB/2RB/3WR/TE/WRorTE Flex/K/D with 5 bench players

QB: Roethlisberger $2, Mahommes $3

RB: D Johnson $65, Gordon $48, Hyde $2, Crowell $2, White $1

WR: Evans $28, D Thomas $9, M Jones $11, Goodwin $19, Anderson $2

TE: Walker $6

K: Lutz $1

D: Denver $1

Things I did right: 1) waited on QB and didn't overspend on them, 2) lock up 2 strong RB's, 3) bid on many WR's and come away with ones who went below market value (Evans, Thomas, Jones)

Things I did wrong: 1) got into a bidding war over Goodwin - way above market price and it cost me getting a solid RB3, a TE and a defense that I liked, 2) over spent on TE - probably should've punted with the top 6 guys already off the board to lockup a better RB3 and a defense I preferred

Other stuff: TE's went much higher than I thought - Gronk, Kelce, Ertz, Graham all $20+. Olsen and Engram for $10+. RB3's were cheap - McKinnon (pre-injury), Henry, R Freeman, Barber, Collins all in the $5-$9 range. People spent $2-$5 for the top 5ish defenses. 

Blew all my money on ab, Evans, Cooper and gurley.... only had 5% of budget Max bid to complete the rest of the roster.

Really regret spending on Evans and Cooper when there was really good value on the guys just below that tier

14 team, .5 ppr 

QB   Patrick Mahomes Kansas City Chiefs   $2
RB   Christian McCaffrey Carolina Panthers   $53
RB   Jordan Howard Chicago Bears   $38
WR   Jarvis Landry Cleveland Browns   $25
WR   Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Cardinals   $24
TE   Trey Burton Chicago Bears   $10
FLEX   Lamar Miller Houston Texans   $19
D/ST   Vikings D/ST Minnesota Vikings   $2
K   Brett Maher Dallas Cowboys   $1
BE   Jordan Wilkins Indianapolis Colts   $4
BE   John Ross Cincinnati Bengals   $2
BE   Matt Breida San Francisco 49ers   $10
BE   Chris Godwin Tampa Bay Buccaneers   $2
BE   Ricky Seals-Jones Arizona Cardinals   $1
BE   DJ Moore Carolina Panthers   $4
BE   Phillip Dorsett New England Patriots   $1
BE   Dez Bryant FA   $1
BE   Ryan Tannehill Miami Dolphins   $1

I went in wanting McCaffrey, Howard, Miller, Burton, and Breida. I actually budgeted about $12 (out of $200) more for that crew, so I got to pay up a little more on WRs in Fitz and Landry. Pretty happy overall.  I’m good with Mahomes at QB and was happy to get our for $3 total at the position. 

Me too and it has paid great dividends.  Last two years though, WRs have started to be way overvalued and I kept bowing out when they close in on 60 (non-PPR).  So lacking a true 1 WR puts me at a disadvantage.  Need to do better next year.  
I also feel that WR have been way over valued in non-ppr the year and last.  But I stick to my guns and won’t spend. Last year I ended up with M. Jones for $2 and K Allen for $18. 

This year my WRs are Landry for $16, Sanders for $15, Crowder for 8, Watkins for $5, and John Brown for $2

Sure leaves the roster looking a little thin when you are going against a guy starting Hopkins, Julio, and Hilton week 1. 

I also feel that WR have been way over valued in non-ppr the year and last.  But I stick to my guns and won’t spend. Last year I ended up with M. Jones for $2 and K Allen for $18. 

This year my WRs are Landry for $16, Sanders for $15, Crowder for 8, Watkins for $5, and John Brown for $2

Sure leaves the roster looking a little thin when you are going against a guy starting Hopkins, Julio, and Hilton week 1. 
Yeah.  It is just harder for it to work.  Last year I had Diggs/Dez/Landry which was serviceable, if difficult to decide weekly.  At least this year I realized I whiffed at WR in time to go after and get Kelce

Did an auction last night for the first time in many years and feel like I screwed up by sitting and waiting too long as all the top players went for extremely high prices. My RBs are pretty poor then I paid too much for a couple WRs and felt like I didn't have enough to finish strongly.

QB - Jimmy G, Dak

RB - Drake, Barber, J Williams, Crow

WR - M Thomas, AJ Green, Cooks, Cole, Ridley

TE - Ertz, Graham

PK - Carlson

DT - Houston

Already dropped Dak for Carr and Ridley for Clement.

Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2RWT FLEX, PK, DT with 5 bench spots. 12 team PPR.

Put out an offer of AJ Green and Graham for Thielen and Derrick Henry. Owner said he wants to wait a week. That may be a reach for a RB but I'm thinking Henry will produce. 

My biggest regrets are bidding up Derrick Henry and getting stuck with him! Also throwing out Devante Parker for a moderate amount and then having no bids. So don't get cute I guess. :)

As far as strategy, I went in with budgets for starting positions so knew if I spent under an amount I'd still be ok. Really helps you realize how much you can spend per position without just acquiring guys blindly. But then you can BPA and value snag from there.

I found as always you want to be getting your guys early before the market sets and scarcity drives up the bottom RB/WR1 guys. I wanted to walk away with a stud RB and stud WR and let everything else fall into place from there so came out of the gate with Kamara and OBJ within first 4 picks. They both ended up probably being 6-7th highest cost for their positions when all was said and done.

Guys I think you'll be able to get a big value on:

• Baldwin
  • Jeffrey
  • Funchess
Good luck! 

Here were my results in 10 team standard (keepers in bold)

QB Tom Brady 10

RB David Johnson 66

RB Collins 6

WR D Thomas 27

WR Diggs 6

Flex Goodwin 13

TE Kelce 33

K Boswell 1

DEF Rams 3 

BN Hyde 12

BN K Johnson 11

BN N Agholor 3

BN Ross 1

BN DJ Moore 1

BN D Booker 1
Diggs & Collins for $6??? great buys.   My local auction last night:   Got to bar 2 hours early=  Mistake #1.  Had my list of who I wanted & didn't pay attention to some real values.  12 team-PPR-$200 cap for 16 players.  Just by memory because my football draft file is still at the bar(they don't open until 11:00 AM).

A. Smith(I took the "wait on QB" way too strong). $1

Zeke-$56

Barber $12

J. Williams $9

B. Powell $3

J. White $2

A.J. Green $36,  Ju Ju $24,  Fitz  $22,   A. Cooper $26,.

Ricky Seals Jones $1

& a smattering of junk.

Some real steals came that I was not ready for.  Ty. Hill $30,  Hogan $23 & a few others.

This is Viking country so Thielen & Diggs went for $36 & Dalvin Cook for $46.

Overall I got pretty much who I wanted-now we see how right & wrong I was.

Have a great season gents!

I play in an auction keeper league where we have 2 superflexes (yes, we can start 3 QBs!).  10 teams, PPR, 4 pts per passing TD.

You can keep 4-8 players for last years's salary + 10% rounded up the nearest dollar...minimum $2 increase.  If you finish in the top 10 QB, top 10 RB, top 15 WR, and top 5 TE, you must pay "market value" which is QB10, RB10, WR15, or TE5.  This prevents getting an Alvin Kamara for a $1 and keeping him for $3. (Kamara's 2018 keeper value is $15).

I kept 8 players for $116 of my $200 budget......Roethlisberger, Prescott, Fournette, Henry, Lewis, Ju Jones, Gronkowski, and the JAX D.

I am playing to win now (was champion last year), so I spent $58 of my remaining $84 on McCaffrey and Cooper.  McCaffrery was the 2nd best RB up for bid, and Cooper was the best WR up for bid.  This leaves my bench pretty thin, but I was stoked to get Bortles for only $6 and Flacco for a buck.  QBs go for insane $$$ (Rodgers was bid up to $52).

My team

QB (going to start 3) - Roethlisberger, Prescott, Bortles, Flacco

RB (Start 2) - Fournette, McCaffrey, Henry, Lewis, C Anderson

WR (Start 3) - Ju Jones, Cooper, Sanders, Richardson, Godwin, Kirk, Sutton

TE (Start 1) - Gronkowski, O Howard

K - Butker

D - JAX

So I was happy to plant my flag and go all out for McCaffrey and Cooper, but I left me with very little cash to spend on backup WRs, hence no depth behind my 3 starters.  But I will deal with that during the season.  Overall, this team will be a contender, but I hope injuries don't wreck me, especially at WR.

develop your plan and stick with it

if its redraft, stay away from rookies, if its keeper/dynasty, don't invest too heavily on rookies

you can draft studs and blow your cap and then pick up gems or spread the money between all players which is what I like to do

that's the thing about auction, sometimes the plan changes when you get caught price supporting

my mistake was doing that with Brady, and to a lesser extent McCaffrey. They both ended up not being over pays, but caused me to have to scrape for TEs

Brady, Roth

McCaffrey, Drake, Lynch and Hyde

Adams, Hilton, Cooks, Crabtree and Cobb

Howard and Ebron

true, but in this past draft I had, I wanted RB Conner and WR Goodwin ... I stopped bidding a bit shy of what they went for and had to settle for the likes of KBenjamin and Yeldon ...... I didn't stick to my plan

Contract/Keeper league - 12 teams - Must start QB /RB /WR /WR /(WR/RB) / TE / K / D - 8 player bench (each team has 16 players total)

QB is DEEEEP this year, no reason to overspend early (Dalton, Bradford, and Tyrod are on our waiver wire, for example).  

Our draft was a week ago, and Le'Veon went for usual Le'Veon prices.  That owner is not happy.

I got Brees cheaper than usual, I think the bit of a decline he had last year kept the bidding down.  Cook (RB MIN) held his pre-injury value, too risky for me.  RB's for the most part were at or above value all night.  Fournette and Hunt went for the exact same amount. Got Kamara at slightly higher than I had him valued then let a bunch of Carlos Hyde-type guys slide by because I thought I'd pickup someone cheaper later.  I wound up with Ingram cheap, and surprisingly (to me) got Lynch as a $1 pick late. 

After your OBJ / Julio guys WR's went at or below value.  Tons of bargains if you believe in older guys (Jordy and Demaryius as examples).  Mini bidding war for Kenny Golladay late.  A lot of other solid sleeper WR's like Keelan Cole were available like DVD's in the dollar bin (YMMV).  So my roster is littered with a bunch of John Brown / Keelan Cole / Cooper Kupp / Cameron Meredith / Courtland Sutton types vying for spots opposite Doug Baldwin.  My gamble is that Baldwin puts up WR1 numbers this year.  I paid the price, I control the dice.

I thought Gronk went for a ridiculous amount, but when the dust settled he went for the same price as Mixon...so maybe not as bad as I thought. I ended up with Olsen and Engram at reasonable numbers.  I'm not sure about the bidding on Trey Burton since half the owners in the league are based out of Chicago.  People had held back money at the end of the draft targeting him specifically.  Jordan Reed went cheaper than I thought he would.  Ertz and Kelce drew aggressive bidding.

Biggest regret: I didn't buy out a mid-level Kirk Cousins contract (or try to trade him) prior to the draft. Had no clue that QB prices would be so reasonable.  It was money I could have used on a solid WR2 or RB2.  Also, drank a little too much Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest.

My team isn't very good this year, but if I catch some breaks with guys like Courtland Sutton I'll be competitive.  Brees and Kamara alone might drag me into the last playoff spot. 

Got some solid contracts, so I'm in good shape looking ahead to 2019 and beyond.

Gonna post my general thoughts re: Auctions that I've experienced/encountered over the past several years.

• Know your league's scoring and where the value lies there. Look at last year's end of year rankings. Depending on scoring, maybe QBs are more valuable and getting 2 elite QBs can push you over the edge whereas another league may prioritize receiving RBs higher than general allowing for better "middle" bidding bargains. Yet another league may reveal that QBs who ran a lot finished in the Top 10 and provided better value.
  • If it's a re-draft, know you who want and go after them. At the end of the year, you won't be remembering if you got a "bargain" by paying $17 for Player X instead of $22 for Player Y despite wanting Player Y more. Last year I mostly went after guys I wanted and got lucky on the wire (Marquise Goodwin, Jamaal Williams)
  • Don't get into bidding wars for players you don't want. You always run a risk of ending up with them at a higher cost than you expected because you got cute, trying to goad somebody else and it backfired. Let your co-league mates do the bid wars.
  • Get your value in the end of the draft. Everybody knows about those guys who go for $1-$3 at the end of the draft, that's where you get your values and bargain picks. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger and overpay slightly for guys you really want that you know can push you over the top to a championship early on in the bidding. The overpaying gets balanced by getting a starting quality player for $1 later.

Users who are viewing this thread