What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Ryder Cup - Sept. 28-30, 2018 Le Golf National Paris, France (1 Viewer)

JuniorGong

Footballguy
Figured it made sense to fire up a thread for this year's Ryder Cup now that it is only a few weeks away and all but one player on the US squad has been announced and something crazy would probably have to happen for the final pick to not be Tony Finau.

Team USA

Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Patrick Reed, Webb Simpson, Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Bubba Watson, Bryson DeChambeau*, Phil Mickelson*, Tiger Woods*, TBD*

Team Europe

Tommy Fleetwood, Tyrrell Hatton, Francesco Molinari, Alex Noren, Jon Rahm, Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy, Paul Casey*, Ian Poulter*, Henrick Stenson*, Sergio Garcia*

* denotes Captain's Pick

Tale of the Tape

• US is the defending champ and needs 14 points to retain the Cup; Europe needs 14.5 points to take the Cup back
  • US leads overall 26-13 but Europe has won 6 of the last 8
  • US has not won on European soil in 25 years (The Belfry, England)
  • If Finau is the final pick as expected, the US will have 10 players ranked in the Top 20 on the squad including the top 3 spots
  • Europe will have 7 golfers ranked in the Top 20 including 4 ranked in the Top 10

The Format

The first two days of competition feature four-ball and foursomes matches. The order is determined by the home captain. The third day consists of 12 singles matches.

In four-balls, each member of a two-man team plays his own ball, so four balls are in play on every hole. Each team counts the lowest of its two scores on each hole, and the team whose player has the lowest score wins the hole. If the low scores are tied, the hole is halved.

In foursomes, each two-man team plays one ball per hole with the players taking turns until each hole is complete. Players alternate hitting tee shots, with one leading off on odd-numbered holes, and the other hitting first on even-numbered holes. The team with the low score on each hole wins that hole. If their scores are tied, the hole is halved.

In singles, each match features one player from each team. The player with the lower score on each hole wins that hole. If their scores are tied, the hole is halved.

Unlike stroke play, players don't have to complete each hole in match play. If a player concedes a stroke – almost always a putt – to his opponent, the opponent picks up his ball, takes the score he would have made on the next stroke and moves on to the next hole.

I kind of liked the old way they did the singles pairings, where the captains would take turns announcing a player, and the opposing captain would name his guy to match up.  In recent years, each captain submits the full 12-man lineup without knowing what the other captain will do.  I forget when that changed, but I thought the old approach was cool.

I kind of liked the old way they did the singles pairings, where the captains would take turns announcing a player, and the opposing captain would name his guy to match up.  In recent years, each captain submits the full 12-man lineup without knowing what the other captain will do.  I forget when that changed, but I thought the old approach was cool.
I don’t remember the last time they did it this way but I agree it sounds better

Euros are trending, and it’s obviously really hard to win in Europe, but I still think the US romps here.  Deschambeau and Koepka vs Poulter and Hatton to start...

Euros are trending, and it’s obviously really hard to win in Europe, but I still think the US romps here.  Deschambeau and Koepka vs Poulter and Hatton to start...
US is currently -210 and Europe is currently +175. In my mind there is zero chance of a US romp on foreign soil. I will be betting on Europe and would root for them even if I didn’t have money down as I just like their team better.

Seems to me DeChambeau is a lock to be paired with Tiger.

Not sure if they ever did this for they Ryder Cup but this is the format for picking teams for the Presidents Cup

President's Cup works like this.  That may be what you are thinking of.

Not sure if they ever did this for they Ryder Cup but this is the format for picking teams for the Presidents Cup
Maybe I'm confusing the two, but I thought I remembered discussion about it being changed several years ago.  So far the Googles have not been helpful.

Seems to me DeChambeau is a lock to be paired with Tiger.
Yea i was kidding on the pairing of the two hot head Euros who think they intimidate with guys who do really intimidate.  Those two on top of the incredible young talent and the experienced Tiger is perfect.

I understand why Phil was a captains pic but it would’ve been nice to get Xander Schauffele in with the team.  I think Phil could’ve been a vice  Captain had a very similar impact. 

I understand why Phil was a captains pic but it would’ve been nice to get Xander Schauffele in with the team.  I think Phil could’ve been a vice  Captain had a very similar impact. 
Yup. But I get it. It's Seve in '95 or whatever year that was. Last Ryder Cup for Phil and of course he'll fire up somebody. After taking all their money on Tuesday.

Yup. But I get it. It's Seve in '95 or whatever year that was. Last Ryder Cup for Phil and of course he'll fire up somebody. After taking all their money on Tuesday.
Agree, and experience you hope will help on Euro soil.

Agree, and experience you hope will help on Euro soil.
Phil’s experience is being 18-20-7 overall in Ryder Cup and his teams being 3-7 in the 10 Ryder Cups he has played in which includes never winning on European soil. All of this occurred when he was a much better golfer than what he is today.

Phil’s experience is being 18-20-7 overall in Ryder Cup and his teams being 3-7 in the 10 Ryder Cups he has played in which includes never winning on European soil. All of this occurred when he was a much better golfer than what he is today.
Experience good and bad will help...and he’ll be incredibly motivated because of the bad (which has been driving him for weeks).

Best sports event I’ve ever attended was 2016 Hazeltine on Sunday. 
Ryder Cup matches are fantastic to attend live. The 1991 at Kiawah was the best sporting event I've attended (and this is comparing to WS games, NCAA championships, NFL AFC championships & FIFA world cup qualifiers between USA/MEX). Also went in 2008 at Valhalla which was also great but Kiawah was off the hook epic. 

So for US pairings I think you are looking at:

Spieth - Reed

Tiger - DeChambeau

Koepka - DJ

Those three pairings seem likely and I would suspect are 3 of the 4 pairings to go off the morning of Day 1.

For the Europeans I see them pairing:

Rose - Stenson 

Garcia - Rahm (Spanish Armada 2.0)

Fleetwood - Casey

Rory gets paired with Molinari or Poulter would be my guess. I’d like to see him with Fleetwood but not sure that happens.

So for US pairings I think you are looking at:

Spieth - Reed

Tiger - DeChambeau

Koepka - DJ

Those three pairings seem likely and I would suspect are 3 of the 4 pairings to go off the morning of Day 1.
I like these for best ball & would think Fowler/Thomas or Finau/Mick would be decent pairings as well

Tiger’s big win yesterday has seemed to move the odds a bit towards the US as we head into Ryder Cup week.

USA 8/11

Euro 11/8

Last edited by a moderator:
How annoyed must Xander not trying to spell his last name be?
This whole thing is stupid.  the matches get going at what? 2am US time.  It's not like the ratings matter.  Phil will probably go off so early that only the East coasters will catch like 10 of his swings, in total.  

Is the goal to play to win?  

My plan is to get up around 4/4:30am each day and start watching on my DVR, figured between commercials and speeding up between shots that I can catch up to live action around when the sun comes up.

This whole thing is stupid.  the matches get going at what? 2am US time.  It's not like the ratings matter.  Phil will probably go off so early that only the East coasters will catch like 10 of his swings, in total.  

Is the goal to play to win?  
I think it's possible that Phil doesn't play until Sunday.

What’s this course like? I’ve only seen it described as ‘lush’...which doesn’t invoke visions of Scotland.

Sounds like it's short, green and narrow.

Surprised the US is 59/41 to retain the Cup.  7/5 on Europe seems like a good bet.

From Shane Bacon on Twitter:

Hearing from a couple of people that know things that it’ll be Reed and Tiger together, with Spieth playing with JT. Also, looks like Phil-Bryson and Rickie-DJ. With Webb-Bubba likely, Finau lands the golden goose in Koepka.

From Shane Bacon on Twitter:

Hearing from a couple of people that know things that it’ll be Reed and Tiger together, with Spieth playing with JT. Also, looks like Phil-Bryson and Rickie-DJ. With Webb-Bubba likely, Finau lands the golden goose in Koepka.
Outside of Webb-Bubba those seems like odd pairings to me

Not sure if you guys saw that dress that Paulina was wearing yesterday for the opening gala, but it was very tasteful.  :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread