What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Ryder Cup - Sept. 28-30, 2018 Le Golf National Paris, France (1 Viewer)

I will never understand why the US usually gets waxed in alternate shot.
Pundits are going to say something like, the drive/wedge game on the tour doesn't translate well to this format, but I got no idea what the #### that has to do with anything.

It's probably mental.

Furyk got schooled today IMO.  Picks of players with opposite temperaments and skill sets works fine in best ball.  To me alternate shot is putting the two people together that are most like each other, at minimum their personality.  Even better if their skill sets match.  For example ... Tiger/Dechambeau - all about themselves, same distances, not going to talk much.  Simpson/Fowler - not long, good short games.  DJ/Koepka - bomb it and hope for best.  Reid/Spieth - short, great putters, and hot tempered.  Then Phil could have played with Finau in the best ball where each can be out of every other hole and it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Furyk got schooled today IMO.  Picks of players with opposite temperaments and skill sets works fine in best ball.  To me alternate shot is putting the two people together that are most like each other, at minimum their personality.  Even better if their skill sets match.  For example ... Tiger/Dechambeau - all about themselves, same distances, not going to talk much.  Simpson/Fowler - not long, good short games.  DJ/Koepka - bomb it and hope for best.  Reid/Spieth - short, great putters, and hot tempered.  Then Phil could have played with Finau in the best ball where each can be out of every other hole and it doesn't matter.
Putting Phil in alternate shot was head scratching and sitting Koepka was questionable in my mind.

I did bet some money on the Europeans but not a ton. Regardless, they are such an easier team to root for IMO. Bubba, Reed, Spieth and Phil are so easy to root against.

Putting Phil in alternate shot was head scratching and sitting Koepka was questionable in my mind.

I did bet some money on the Europeans but not a ton. Regardless, they are such an easier team to root for IMO. Bubba, Reed, Spieth and Phil are so easy to root against.
You lost me here.  I get the rest of them, but what don't you like about Spieth?

There are a lot of good guys on the Euro side, but Sergio and Poulter are such a$$holes.  But both of them are money in the Ryder Cup.  Reed is the same way.

You lost me here.  I get the rest of them, but what don't you like about Spieth?
Forgot Bryson.

Im probably in the minority with Spieth but he has always rubbed me the wrong way. Gets pouty when things go bad and strikes me as the typical privileged kid that America has churned out lately in pro golf. That said, he is a grinder and I begrudgingly respect his game but definitely not a guy I ever find myself rooting for when watching golf.

heckmanm said:
No Phil in the four-ball again. I hope that doesn't mean he's rolling him out for the alternate shot again. :wall:
Not even sure why he is on the team to be honest. I can respect the history, but history isn't winning this weekend's matches. If you want him there, make him a vice assistant chief captain or whatever. To actually have him on the course trying to compete? No thanks.

Not even sure why he is on the team to be honest. I can respect the history, but history isn't winning this weekend's matches. If you want him there, make him a vice assistant chief captain or whatever. To actually have him on the course trying to compete? No thanks.
As someone noted above, at least put him out in four-ball where he can play is own wild-### style and hunt for birdies.  He's good at getting himself into AND out of trouble, but it seems dumb to play him in a format where someone else has to clean up after him.

You have to wonder why Spieth is not playing with Reed. Didn't today, and even after Spieth/Thomas got crushed today, again not tomorrow. It was a successful pairing in the past. There must be something we don't know.

It's also really REALLY DUMB to play Dustin Johnson in alternate shot. He's a horrendous putter - always has been.

You have to wonder why Spieth is not playing with Reed. Didn't today, and even after Spieth/Thomas got crushed today, again not tomorrow. It was a successful pairing in the past. There must be something we don't know.
Spieth played poorly with Reed IIRC...basically shrinking in Reeds massive shadow last year. JT isn’t going to overshadow him much if any...Spieth came out this morning relaxed and ready.

They were both playing horrible leading into the Ryder Cup and word is Reed has looked awful in practice this week. 

Just got done watching most of that.  Does anyone have a clue what Furyk is doing?  I skimmed the last 20 or so posts.  It's almost like his goal today was to get all 12 out there and to stack his fourball groups to hopefully come out around 4-4.  Now he seems to be approaching it the same way tomorrow.  

fightingillini said:
There are a lot of good guys on the Euro side, but Sergio and Poulter are such a$$holes.  But both of them are money in the Ryder Cup.  Reed is the same way.
A**holes are who these events were made for.  Even tempered players are awesome for 72 holes of stroke play.  Match play is more emotional.  I love match play.  Been in some US Ams and Mid-Ams.  Easy to get amped up and make a bunch of birdies.  I'm brutal at stroke play.  Get too pissed off and doubles kill a stroke play round.

All the Euros are pretty fiery.  Rahm, Sergio, Pouler.  Rose didn't used to be, but he's all nuts in Ryder Cup.  Fleetwood the same.  Even Molinari and Noren (way underrated) were into it a bit.  They seem to get amped up. 

Meanwhile Tiger as awesome as he is looks like he wishes the event would never exist.  And Phil and Bubba are such disasters off the tee nobody can play with them.

This x100.  

Just got done watching most of that.  Does anyone have a clue what Furyk is doing?  I skimmed the last 20 or so posts.  It's almost like his goal today was to get all 12 out there and to stack his fourball groups to hopefully come out around 4-4.  Now he seems to be approaching it the same way tomorrow.  
I've never bothered to check, but are you required to play everyone a certain number of times before Sunday?

I've never bothered to check, but are you required to play everyone a certain number of times before Sunday?
no.  Some players may not play until the singles if the captain decides so.

Everyone has to play in the singles.

no.  Some players may not play until the singles if the captain decides so.

Everyone has to play in the singles.
This.  no requirement.

I can only remember it happening 3 times since it became all of Europe.  Van de Velde, Andrew Coltart, and Jarmo Sandelin.  Euro also booted a guy from the team after he qualified because they used his injury that he said he had recovered from as a way to get another player on.  I think that was Miguel Angel Martin and Olazabal replaced him.

US to my knowledge hasn't done it in a long time.

Just seemed too easy in my mind after seeing the initial fourball pairings that our 2 lefties, who have no business seeing the course during foursomes in the year 2018, were going to see their only action before singles matches during Saturday's fourball session.  If I'm off base here, please help me out.

Just seemed too easy in my mind after seeing the initial fourball pairings that our 2 lefties, who have no business seeing the course during foursomes in the year 2018, were going to see their only action before singles matches during Saturday's fourball session.  If I'm off base here, please help me out.
I really feel like the captains play the Princess Bride game with this bull#### and they could just as easily KISS.

I stopped watching after 9 holes today. That bad. Never have done that before. Mickelson trying to lay up with an iron off the tee and hits it sideways in the water. DeChambeau couldn’t putt. So nervous. Either short or blasted it by. That’s pure nerves. DJ and Rickie in the hay hacking all day. 

They better wake up or they’re gonna get crushed. Phil should sit all day tomorrow. 

I stopped watching after 9 holes today. That bad. Never have done that before. Mickelson trying to lay up with an iron off the tee and hits it sideways in the water. 
That was amazing. An iron off a par-5 right into the drink. :lmao:  

I have Europe +150 for the whole thing and multiple guys for top points. Go Europe. 

JuniorGong said:
Forgot Bryson.

Im probably in the minority with Spieth but he has always rubbed me the wrong way. Gets pouty when things go bad and strikes me as the typical privileged kid that America has churned out lately in pro golf. That said, he is a grinder and I begrudgingly respect his game but definitely not a guy I ever find myself rooting for when watching golf.
I'm the #1 Spieth hater on here.  Get in line.  

He's gotten a lot better.  I don't think playing DJ in alternate shot is dumb really.
Right, I mean if the "#1" player in the world can give you 5 rounds over 3 days, you take it and see what happens.

After seeing how today played out, I'm rolling with 9 tomorrow.  Whoever plays the worst in the morning sits in the afternoon and Simpson gets another shot with a new partner.

Whoever designed the Ryder Cup website should be fired.  Is it that hard to put 8 matches of scores on one page.  Why do they make it so difficult to see results.

No idea. Anyone know if the live coverage works on Ryder cup.com?
The stream from RyderCup.com works. Only follows one match with random highlights from other matches. It’s the only way I can watch right now. It’s ok.

as far as the US play? Let’s just just say the coverage is better than the way the US is playing.

Reed is a clown.  He’s going to re-injure tiger’s back from being carried around the course.  

Then, he makes one putt and gives shush sign to the crowd after hitting everywhere but the fairway and green this morning. 

Total tool. How about giving Tiger a hand?

Reed is a clown.  He’s going to re-injure tiger’s back from being carried around the course.  

Then, he makes one putt and gives shush sign to the crowd after hitting everywhere but the fairway and green this morning. 

Total tool. How about giving Tiger a hand?
Well, maybe I missed something but they both looked awful. And if I recall the clown carried the whole team on his back in ‘16 so probably has earned a bit of slack.

Well, maybe I missed something but they both looked awful. And if I recall the clown carried the whole team on his back in ‘16 so probably has earned a bit of slack.
Tiger was a but better at the start. 2vs 1.  Reed is pathetic.  Then he makes a 12 ft putt and mouths the crowd.  While he’s playing like dog ####.  

Users who are viewing this thread