What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Ryder Cup - Sept. 28-30, 2018 Le Golf National Paris, France (1 Viewer)

Peter Jacobsen just commented “just effing continues” while referring to USA putting woes. Had to listen to it several times to make sure. 

US needs full points from Thomas and Koepka, if they do that they start to gain momentum and should be able to tie up the points giving the matches behind them.

Good Lord, Garcia leaves the green wide open and Ricky barely finds it after giving his best 3AM WhatsYourNameAgain squint

So we took a team over there that can't hit it straight and can't make big putts.  Meanwhile, Europe only has 2 of those types in Rory and Rahm.  Their other 10 are grinders.

In retrospect we should make captains picks that fit the course, rather than those playing the best.  Three of the captains - Furyk, Kuchar, and Johnson would have played great on this course.  Kisner is another that comes to mind as a great putter.

US captains picks as far as I remember ...   Tiger got 0.  Phil got 0.  Finau got 1.  DeChambeau got 0.  I may be off a bit, but there's your answer to why the U.S. lost.

At Whistling Straights we should make the course 7600 yards, soft, and trim the rough to 1 inch over 280 yards from the tee.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we took a team over there that can't hit it straight and can't make big putts.  Meanwhile, Europe only has 2 of those types in Rory and Rahm.  Their other 10 are grinders.

In retrospect we should make captains picks that fit the course, rather than those playing the best.  Three of the captains - Furyk, Kuchar, and Johnson would have played great on this course.  Kisner is another that comes to mind as a great putter.

US captains picks as far as I remember ...   Tiger got 0.  Phil got 0.  Finau got 1.  DeChambeau got 0.  I may be off a bit, but there's your answer to why the U.S. lost.

At Whistling Straights we should make the course 7600 yards, soft, and trim the rough to 1 inch over 280 yards from the tee.
I’m no golf expert at all but it’s hilarious to me that a guy like Bubba Watson is on this Ryder cup team. Who couldn’t see that being a disaster?

Here is the thing about Captain’s picks, the Captain can pick whoever he wants. 

Finau was a perfectly acceptable pick.  I don't see how you keep Tiger off the team in any situation.  Guy is for all intents world #1 in recent month or two.  

Johnny calling out the captains picks.  

Phil was an abortion of a pick.  That much is clear.  Chambeau....dunno.  Maybe.   

So?  His record at the Ryder Cup trumps that.
There's absolutely no precedence for that sort of decision.  I think perhaps you limit his outings since he played in the lead in the prior week.  You could have made an argument he plays Friday PM and see where things are at that point and consider just sending him out first on Sunday, or PM Saturday if nobody is playing well.

Lot of craziness in here.  There's a reason the US has only won in Europe twice in the last 30 years.  It's hard to beat the Europeans at their game.  Believe me, this course was a completely different style of golf than most of the US was used to.

They didn't cut the rough for 2 months.  Even the US Open doesn't go as crazy as they did.  

They narrowed the fairways down so that at 280+ yards almost all the fairways were barely 20 yards across to take away the US's length advantage.  

They had the greens running much slower than the championship speed the US courses are known for.

It's a big deal to be able to set up a course to your team's advantage.  It's an even bigger deal to have 50,000 fans cheering for your side.  Was it still disappointing?  Yes, but it wasn't surprising.

If I'm the US Captain in 2020, I'm asking Whistling Straights to widen the fairways to 50-60 yards across and to cut every bit of rough on the course to 1-2 inches.  No long thick rough, no fescue.  Just short and easy for any strong player to hit out of.  Let's see our big bombers swing like they're in a scramble all weekend.

Then, roll all the greens to a 13+ and shave all the false edges and run offs down, so that a 2-3 club difference in iron length becomes a huge advantage.  Give some of that home cooking back to them.

Lot of craziness in here.  There's a reason the US has only won in Europe twice in the last 30 years.  It's hard to beat the Europeans at their game.  Believe me, this course was a completely different style of golf than most of the US was used to.

They didn't cut the rough for 2 months.  Even the US Open doesn't go as crazy as they did.  

They narrowed the fairways down so that at 280+ yards almost all the fairways were barely 20 yards across to take away the US's length advantage.  

They had the greens running much slower than the championship speed the US courses are known for.

It's a big deal to be able to set up a course to your team's advantage.  It's an even bigger deal to have 50,000 fans cheering for your side.  Was it still disappointing?  Yes, but it wasn't surprising.

If I'm the US Captain in 2020, I'm asking Whistling Straights to widen the fairways to 50-60 yards across and to cut every bit of rough on the course to 1-2 inches.  No long thick rough, no fescue.  Just short and easy for any strong player to hit out of.  Let's see our big bombers swing like they're in a scramble all weekend.

Then, roll all the greens to a 13+ and shave all the false edges and run offs down, so that a 2-3 club difference in iron length becomes a huge advantage.  Give some of that home cooking back to them.
When all you got is a hammer better hope it's a nail.

i don't understand any of this, but i am convinced this is the way to go.  

fowler will never win a major.  he is awful, like phil awful.
He's definitely not a closer.  I think he will eventually get one though, he seems to get himself into position through Saturday enough.   One of these times he will string it together for the whole weekend. In general he is an overrated golfer, with nothing to show.

Users who are viewing this thread