What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need some advice about a nosey neighbor (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26

Footballguy
So it has been almost 4 years since we moved into out current house and we love it. For the first time ever we had great neighbors, we go on vacations with them, have parties with them, all our kids get along, we all take turns watching each others kids or pets when someone goes on vacation or for a night out. 

A little over a year ago the house across the street sold and we got new neighbors. We introduced ourselves, but didn't hit it off with them like the rest of the neighborhood and they just don't really hang out with the rest of the neighbors. 

At first they would let their dogs out to go to the bathroom and they would run into our yard and do their business. My husband went over and asked them to please clean it up. They came over and cleaned it up, but never cleaned it up again.  It got to the point my husband would go outside with a shovel and scoop it up and dump it into their yard. 

Now in the last 9 months they have called animal control on us at least 5 times.  We know it is them, because the calls never happened before they moved in, they are the only ones home during the day, other than myself, and one of the times the woman that lives there had company over and her sister and her kids were in our yard playing with our dog while the cops where there after they called animal control. 

Fast forward to today, it is 92 degrees here and our dog has been inside all day. Around noon I put her outside to do her business and clean the area she stays in because she sheds a lot. So in the 45 minutes to an hour she was outside animal control was called and showed up to ask why the dog was out in the heat.  The animal control person actually told me this was the second call on us today. They got a call at 6 am this morning and they came out and there was no dog to check on because the dog was in the house. 

I have no idea how to deal with this and not make a mess of the situation. My husband is ready to go over there and yell at this women. She is literally calling animal control to harass us. The 5 times is the number of times animal control has come out. How many more times has this person called and they came out early in the morning or late at night, like this morning when the dog wasn't outside or maybe we weren't home and nothing was wrong. Is there anything we can do? Is there a point where animal control has to tell them to leave us alone?

I don't understand why animal control would keep coming out after you explained things.

There is zero wrong with leaving a dog outside in the yard for an hour even if it's hot.  It's not like leaving it in a car with windows closed.

Do you abuse your dog? She calls animal control all the time bc the dog is outside? Is her house next to yours or behind yours? 

Is there anything else to this story we're missing? 

Have you thought about a fence?

I don't understand why animal control would keep coming out after you explained things.

There is zero wrong with leaving a dog outside in the yard for an hour even if it's hot.  It's not like leaving it in a car with windows closed.
I don't know. The first time they came out they got a call saying their was a dog outside in January with now shelter. Totally understandable since it was cold, and the dog house is behind our house and this neighbor is across the street and can't see the house. 

Do you abuse your dog? She calls animal control all the time bc the dog is outside? Is her house next to yours or behind yours? 

Is there anything else to this story we're missing? 

Have you thought about a fence?
I don't think so, she is 14 and old. Spends about 50 percent of her time outside and 50 percent inside. 

She is across the street so the front of her house faces the front of ours. 

I don't think I am missing anything, but they aren't friendly people. They have never talked to us or really anyone in our neighborhood. There are several big parties in our neighborhood every year and she is never there.

No on the fence, she is 14 years old and when she goes will won't get another dog since our daughter is allergic. 

At first they would let their dogs out to go to the bathroom and they would run into our yard and do their business. My husband went over and asked them to please clean it up. They came over and cleaned it up, but never cleaned it up again.  It got to the point my husband would go outside with a shovel and scoop it up and dump it into their yard. 
Here's your problem.  My guess is the husband has sent over a few of your dogs' BMs as a bonus.

go to animal control and talk to the manager, explaining the situation?  why would they possibly keep coming out to investigate the same calls?
I know they have several people that do these checks and we have never had the same officer or animal control agent come out. Maybe they aren't communicating with each other? I really don't know.

What does animal control say when they come out?
They do the standard check. Check the dog house, food and water. Ask us how old she is and what we do when the weather gets bad. Pretty easy and standard and then they leave. 

One time a cop came out to do the check and him and my husband were yelling at each other. That was back in June and the 4th time they came out. 

They do the standard check. Check the dog house, food and water. Ask us how old she is and what we do when the weather gets bad. Pretty easy and standard and then they leave. 

One time a cop came out to do the check and him and my husband were yelling at each other. That was back in June and the 4th time they came out. 
Why? 

It was a Sunday and we were gone the entire day. Animal control doesn't come out on weekends so they sent an officer.

Anyways it was a hot day and our other neighbors were checking on the dog since they knew we would be gone all day. 

When we got home there was an officer in our driveway and this woman had people over, and her sister and kids were in our yard playing with our dog. She was drinking a beer and her kids were eatting popsicles and feeding one to our dog. 

It had been a long day and the officer asked how could he know if this was our house and this pissed off my husband and he asked the cop how many times he had been to someone's house and people who didn't own the house pulled up with a cop there. The cop got agitated and said he was just trying to do his job and my husband got even more pissed and wanted to know where in his job description it said come to someone's house and allow the neighbors to party in the yard and feed their dog popsicles. It escalated a little from there with them yelling at each other before the police left. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a Sunday and we were gone the entire day. Animal control doesn't come out on weekends so they sent an officer.

Anyways it was a hot day and our other neighbors were checking on the dog since they knew we would be gone all day. 

When we got home there was an officer in our driveway and this woman had people over, and her sister and kids were in our yard playing with our dog. She was drinking a beer and her kids were eatting popsicles and feeding one to our dog. 

It had been a long day and the officer asked how could he know if this was our house and this pissed off my husband and he asked the cop how many times he had been to someone's house and people who didn't own the house pulled up with a cop there. The cop got agitated and said he was just trying to do his job and my husband got even more pissed and wanted to know where in his job description it said come to someone's house and allow the neighbors to party in yard and feed their dog popsicles. It escalated a little from there with them yelling at each other before the police left. 
Sounds like your husband was being a bit of a jerk on that one.

Weird they are constantly coming across the street into your yard.  I could see it if they were right next to you, but across the street?

Anyway, if you want some advice I would say to go over and actually talk to her, and not immediately confrontational about it.  Tell her that animal control has been out a few times, and that you aren't sure which neighbor is concerned about the dog, but you're going around to everyone so that you can show them that the dog has proper care and shelter.  See if that will help.  Antagonizing them isn't going to make it better, even if they are being unreasonable twats.  See if you can take the high road and at least get to the point where you both pretend like the other doesn't exist.

It had been a long day and the officer asked how could he know if this was our house and this pissed off my husband and he asked the cop how many times he had been to someone's house and people who didn't own the house pulled up with a cop there. The cop got agitated and said he was just trying to do his job and my husband got even more pissed and wanted to know where in his job description it said come to someone's house and allow the neighbors to party in the yard and feed their dog popsicles. It escalated a little from there with them yelling at each other before the police left. 
So the cop was there to do his job, and the husband got lippy with him?

Weird they are constantly coming across the street into your yard.  I could see it if they were right next to you, but across the street?

Anyway, if you want some advice I would say to go over and actually talk to her, and not immediately confrontational about it.  Tell her that animal control has been out a few times, and that you aren't sure which neighbor is concerned about the dog, but you're going around to everyone so that you can show them that the dog has proper care and shelter.  See if that will help.  Antagonizing them isn't going to make it better, even if they are being unreasonable twats.  See if you can take the high road and at least get to the point where you both pretend like the other doesn't exist.
This is good advice and thanks. It wasn't the best look for my husband, in his defense it was a long day for us. We left the house early that morning and didn't get home until 9 pm and he also yelled at the cop and asked him if he would be responsible if the dog bit someone (she doesn't bite but) or if any of the people tripped and broke an ankle from a hole the dog made? My husband shouldn't have yelled and got lippy with the cop, but the cop also shouldn't be allowing people to just hang out in our yard when we aren't home. The street is in a small neighborhood, it isn't a big street or a busy street.

So the cop was there to do his job, and the husband got lippy with him?
Yes, it was a long day, but the cop  shouldn't be allowing random people to just hang out in a yard they don't own, especially with no one home. It was mistakes by both sides.

my next FF team name

I would bring a pie or something like that when you know the kid is home, ring the doorbell, and say something like, "I know that we got off on the wrong foot and we feel badly. We really enjoy the community aspect of our neighborhood. Anyways, I hope you are the type of folks who appreciate a good pie. Have a great night."

Something doesnt make sense...they let their dogs cross the street to crap in your yard.  I dont think that's true.
It is a neighborhood street, not busy at all. What they did was let the dogs out and just shut the door behind the dogs. Pretty sure the dogs decided to come over and poop in our yard. They weren't supervised at all.

In all honesty I think she is one of those people that thinks dogs can't stay outside or shouldn't for an extended period of time. That is part of the reason I am hesitant to go over there.

In all honesty I think she is one of those people that thinks dogs can't stay outside or shouldn't for an extended period of time. That is part of the reason I am hesitant to go over there.
you have a psycho neighbor.   Best to deal with animal control directly and explain the situation.  Nothing good can come from trying to be rational with a neighbor who calls them every time you let your dog outside.  

Users who are viewing this thread