Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Partisan Journalism, good or bad for America?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Maybe I'm  just missing it, but why doesn't CNN have anything on their website's front page about the Cincinnati bank shooting?

You're missing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

You're missing it.

Where is it on their front page?  I just double checked, no bylines mention it and no pictures show it.

Edited:  Now I see it as a smaller caption toward the bottom left of the page. 

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnnyU said:

Where is it on their front page?

I just watched the video of the shootout on their front page. Your partisanship could be blinding you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bucky86 said:

I just watched the video of the shootout on their front page. Your partisanship could be blinding you.

Ok, now I see it .  It's a small caption toward the bottom of the page on the left.  You would think it would be bigger news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Ok, now I see it .  It's a small caption toward the bottom of the page on the left.  You would think it would be bigger news.

JU: "Why isn't the Cincinnati shooting on the CNN front page!"

B86: "It is."

JU: "Why isn't it given more coverage?" 

 

:sigh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squistion said:

JU: "Why isn't the Cincinnati shooting on the CNN front page!"

B86: "It is."

JU: "Why isn't it given more coverage?" 

 

:sigh:

Bigger news meaning at least have an article on it, not only the video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Bigger news meaning at least have an article on it, not only the video. 

It happened two days ago and they covered it extensively then, this is a news site, this type of story is not going to remain on the front page indefinitely.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/us/cincinnati-active-shooter-report/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 8:38 PM, JohnnyU said:

You know, even a thread about trying to come together as a nation, regardless of media bias one way or the other, is so divided we can't.  Each side hates the other side so much right now this country is in complete disarray.   I sense so much of this in this forum.   I just wish there was a solution we could all live with regarding our differences politically. 

If the gop went witt say kaisch....i dont think there would be any problem....gop is trumps party now and people dont like him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, squistion said:

It happened two days ago and they covered it extensively then, this is a news site, this type of story is not going to remain on the front page indefinitely.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/us/cincinnati-active-shooter-report/index.html

Still very recent (two days), but I stand corrected.  Thanks for the link.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 3:13 PM, urbanhack said:

The point is we can start a thread showing examples of how outlets like the NYT are not liberal.

Just as examples...

There are lots of examples that come up every week.

How do either of these examples show the NYT as non-liberal?

Dershowitz somehow has become one of the most prominent Trump defenders in the mainstream media. 

I don't understand how the  second story would bother liberals. It seems to be a report of of the IDF targeting and killing an unarmed woman trying to provide aid to an injured protester. To me that seems like conservatives would object more. Their attitude seems to be "the only good Palestinian is a dead Palestinian".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

The most telling thing on the chart is the fact that nobody has even really heard of several of the liberal trash in the lower left corner. Yet, the lower right corner is linked in here daily.

In fact those right wing sites are the most influential conservative sites.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Partisan journalism is Good if you have reliable sources to referee...if you have what we have now, where no major news source that is willing to play it straight...that is the road to doom...

Edited by Rove!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, dawgtrails said:

The most telling thing on the chart is the fact that nobody has even really heard of several of the liberal trash in the lower left corner. Yet, the lower right corner is linked in here daily.

Great point.  I've never even heard of anything left of The Huffington Post on that chart.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 6:12 AM, Juxtatarot said:

That’s a good discussion. First we have to agree on a definition of “fake”. What is your definition?

Calling news “fake” is an unintelligent silly statement. It’s name calling that means absolutely nothing, and contains no specifics. Basically you’re outing yourself as a dummy when you use this term.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, JohnnyU said:

Maybe I'm  just missing it, but why doesn't CNN have anything on their website's front page about the Cincinnati bank shooting?

They did. The day it happened. Had live coverage of things to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ChopMeat said:

Calling news “fake” is an unintelligent silly statement. It’s name calling that means absolutely nothing, and contains no specifics. Basically you’re outing yourself as a dummy when you use this term.

The term “fake news” was invented by the center left to condition the populace for censorship of any news source that deviates from their narrative...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rove! said:

The term “fake news” was invented by the center left to condition the populace for censorship of any news source that deviates from their narrative...

False

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rove! said:

The term “fake news” was invented by the center left to condition the populace for censorship of any news source that deviates from their narrative...

Source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rove! said:

The term “fake news” was invented by the center left to condition the populace for censorship of any news source that deviates from their narrative...

The term was initially used by anyone with a brain and an internet connection during the 2016 election regarding the barrage of fake stories being spread on social media, most of which were favorable to Trump and spread by legions of bots, trolls, and general morons.  Then Trump, either of his own accord or on the advice of his staff, began using the phrase to mock the entire idea, then used it to describe virtually everything he didn't like, thus rendering the phrase meaningless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Radio Free Homer said:

The term was initially used by anyone with a brain and an internet connection during the 2016 election regarding the barrage of fake stories being spread on social media, most of which were favorable to Trump and spread by legions of bots, trolls, and general morons.  Then Trump, either of his own accord or on the advice of his staff, began using the phrase to mock the entire idea, then used it to describe virtually everything he didn't like, thus rendering the phrase meaningless.

56 examples of fake news

https://sharylattkisson.com/2018/09/09/50-media-mistakes-in-the-trump-era-the-definitive-list/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 7:00 PM, JohnnyU said:

Can we agree there is partisan journalism with both the left and right?  Is this good for America?  We all know Fox news leans right and CNN and MSNBC leans left, but how did we get here?  It wasn't always that way.  There was a time where professional journalism was sacred, but no more.  You have the left watching and believing everything CNN and MSNBC says and you have the right watching and believing everything Fox says.   This has to stop.  I personally believe these news media outlets are contributing to the political divide we have in this country.  Hell, they are playing a major role.  Don't even get me started about big tech (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc.). 

So, how do we crawl out of this hole?  How do we start coming together outside of political bias?  Can we find some common ground?

I'm personally in favor of abortion and LGBT rights to marry or do whatever they want, but I lean right on a lot of other issues.  That doesn't mean I'm 100% right leaning as some of you think I am.  I'm upset at the way our country is divided and the reasons for it.  I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things, but I think as a nation we need to support our President to do what is right for the nation and believe it or not, not all of it is bad.  

IMO there is a lot of good straight reporting of facts, and actually it's the norm, even often from Fox. 

I think what people get confused and disgusted about is the punditry on these same channels and the op-eds on news sites, and on twitter where you will see a lot of bad headlines, including by the same news sites but also by outlandish and partisan pundits. Things get twisted. A lot of the disputes here go like that, and when you dig down into the actual news report it says something different.

If you look at the journalism on a daily basis what you will find is a lot of professionalism.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

IMO there is a lot of good straight reporting of facts, and actually it's the norm, even often from Fox. 

I think what people get confused and disgusted about is the punditry on these same channels and the op-eds on news sites, and on twitter where you will see a lot of bad headlines, including by the same news sites but also by outlandish and partisan pundits. Things get twisted. A lot of the disputes here go like that, and when you dig down into the actual news report it says something different.

If you look at the journalism on a daily basis what you will find is a lot of professionalism.

Also - one of the things that frustrates me the most - there is no news in the evening when people get home from work. Its all opinion shows. It really sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rove! said:

Let's just take the first one.

Quote

1. Aug. 2016-Nov. 2016:

The New York Post published modeling photos of Trump’s wife Melania and reported they were taken in 1995. Various news outlets relied on that date to imply that Melania—an immigrant—had violated her visa status. But the media got the date wrong. Politico was among the news agencies that later issued a photo date correction.

First of all Politico correcting a fact is an example of good journalism.

The NY Post is not exactly an icon of professional journalism though, I think we all know that. It would be interesting to chase this story down further, but Attkinson, who used to work for CBS, does not provide links for her assertions.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Also - one of the things that frustrates me the most - there is no news in the evening when people get home from work. Its all opinion shows. It really sucks.

I agree with that, a lot of people get their news as summary post-work, but there's no longer a 30 minute blip with 'just the facts' of the day. Now it seems like a rambling gallery of people with agendas yelling at each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one other thing I notice, and this is on CNN and sometimes MSNBC:

- It drives me crazy when I see on a panel of 'experts' or pundits that in some situations they will have 1. a true expert, say a former administration official or academic or writer, 2. a reporter, and 3. some administration or DNC proxy or consultant, or some combination of that. What that does is take the expert, the reporter and the proxy (who almost always is a bulldog who will not admit a single basic thing against interest) on the same plane. That then drags down the expert and the reporter and it puts him/her on a seemingly partisan basis arguing with the proxy.

This isn't an issue with Fox since generally their evening shows almost never allow contrarian views unless they are of the most absurd kind.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I agree with that, a lot of people get their news as summary post-work, but there's no longer a 30 minute blip with 'just the facts' of the day. Now it seems like a rambling gallery of people with agendas yelling at each other.

I think a lot of people get their news during the day on FB in the form of extremist headlines (and never bother to even read the "article") and memes.  If it agrees with their preconceived views its true; if not its "fake news".  Then its further reinforced on their twitter feed.

I don't think most people go beyond that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That whole list of examples of fake news is awesome. 

An article bylined by the New York Times’ graphic editors Karen Yourish and Troy Griggs referred to Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, as Trump’s wife.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:
1 hour ago, Rove! said:

Let's just take the first one.

Quote

1. Aug. 2016-Nov. 2016:

The New York Post published modeling photos of Trump’s wife Melania and reported they were taken in 1995. Various news outlets relied on that date to imply that Melania—an immigrant—had violated her visa status. But the media got the date wrong. Politico was among the news agencies that later issued a photo date correction.

First of all Politico correcting a fact is an example of good journalism.

The NY Post is not exactly an icon of professional journalism though, I think we all know that. It would be interesting to chase this story down further, but Attkinson, who used to work for CBS, does not provide links for her assertions.

You don't have to go beyond it being Sharyl Attkisson to know what's going to be in the article.  There are some doozies in there :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All news is at least a little bit inherently biased and there is no way to change it.

If you simply look at what stories any news organization chooses to print/report and in what order...it doesn't even have to be about politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shader

We can discuss accomplishments and the lack of reporting them here...or somewhere there was a thread about positive things from Trump that was started...I looked briefly and didn't see it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sho nuff said:

@shader

We can discuss accomplishments and the lack of reporting them here...or somewhere there was a thread about positive things from Trump that was started...I looked briefly and didn't see it though.

Excellent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.