What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ito Smith, RB, ATL (1 Viewer)

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
With Freeman injuring his right knee (the same knee that he sprained last year) in last night's game I figured it was worth creating a thread on ATL's 3rd string rookie RB Ito Smith. He was taken in the 4th round of this year's draft.

scouting report

playerprofiler

preseason week 2 (although you have to scour it for his touches)

It doesn't seem like ATL will be resigning Coleman next year and as more of a COP back I believe Smith is Coleman's heir apparent. However, if Freeman were to miss time I think Smith would see some work, plus Coleman has checkered injury history as well. I suppose it's also likely that ATL would bring Brian Hill up from the PS if Freeman's injury is serious, and he seems better suited to fill that role, but I think Smith is worth monitoring - he's third on the depth chart for a reason.

With Freeman injuring his right knee (the same knee that he sprained last year) in last night's game I figured it was worth creating a thread on ATL's 3rd string rookie RB Ito Smith. He was taken in the 4th round of this year's draft.

scouting report

playerprofiler

preseason week 2 (although you have to scour it for his touches)

It doesn't seem like ATL will be resigning Coleman next year and as more of a COP back I believe Smith is Coleman's heir apparent. However, if Freeman were to miss time I think Smith would see some work, plus Coleman has checkered injury history as well. I suppose it's also likely that ATL would bring Brian Hill up from the PS if Freeman's injury is serious, and he seems better suited to fill that role, but I think Smith is worth monitoring - he's third on the depth chart for a reason.
Or sign Murray?

He probably needs to be rostered in deeper leagues with Freeman expected to sit this week. The truth is that Coleman has so far proven that he can't hold up for an entire season on even a moderate amount of touches. I don't wish injury upon anyone but rostering Coleman's handcuff in deeper leagues seems like a no-brainer. 

Rev up the Judge. Loved this guy and Wadley all offseason. Mind you, the latter is not even on a practice squad, so take my talent evaluation with a half grain of salt. To get any dynasty returns on Ito in 2018 would be fantastic.

He did nothing in the preseason vs guys on the street now.  I'd be surprise if he did anything vs the big boys.

He did nothing in the preseason vs guys on the street now. I'd be surprise if he did anything vs the big boys.
I don't think he looked terrible but he did not jump off the screen for me either. A bet on Smith is a bet on moderate opportunity, ATL's offense and specifically their OL. It's also a bet against Coleman, obviously.

*whispering*

...Brian Hill...
Hill is better suited to replace Freeman but I think Coleman is going to do what he's done in the past when Freeman has gone down, which is assume Freeman's role almost completely. I then expect Smith to act as a change of pace. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was fairly impressed with the few runs I saw from Smith. He's a better inside runner than I would have expected. 

I was fairly impressed with the few runs I saw from Smith. He's a better inside runner than I would have expected. 
Same here, surprised he's not getting more buzz, particularly as a dynasty play.  Looked good + Opportunity (Coleman likely gone next year, Freeman injury concerns).

LOL I think Christmas came early, I just traded a DL-Cameron Jordan for Ito. Then I was able to pick up Aaron Donald on waivers. I own Freeman... and it's a keeper league. Plus the other owner proposed the trade-unbelievable.

LOL I think Christmas came early, I just traded a DL-Cameron Jordan for Ito. Then I was able to pick up Aaron Donald on waivers. I own Freeman... and it's a keeper league. Plus the other owner proposed the trade-unbelievable.
I don't play IDP, but WTAF?

Unless Freeman has regenerated a new pair of knees,  anything can happen.  
Exactly, plus he has probably done enough to continue to warrant some touches every week and makes it interesting to see what the Falcons will do now in the offseason.

Ito (4) was used more so in the RZ than Coleman (2) last week. Even though Coleman still got a touch within the 5 yard line.

But you do have to find it interesting that Ito has been utilized in the RZ more than any other player on ATL this season, despite him not playing in week 1 and generally not playing on a large percentage of the snaps in weeks 2-4. ATL clearly sees something there and I'm not convinced that he completely disappears.

Seeing as how Freeman and Coleman are constantly injured, ATL's OL is above average and their offense is generally potent and I'm not dropping him in deeper leagues. 

Freeman now in question with a foot injury for this weekends game, which should be a barnburner with TB. If Freeman sits, I'll be playing Ito this weekend.

Freeman out.  I'm tempted to play Ito in some leagues.  I've got Collins as my RB2.  Ito in a spot to see 10-15 touches potentially.  Coleman disappointed last time as the lead back.

I think there's room for more growth here. If, hypothetically, Freeman never gets right and ATL's season is lost I could see the split narrow from 2:1 in favor of Coleman to a 50/50 split. I could easily see Ito being utilized 12-15 times a game.

Should have some increased opportunity now with Freeman headed to IR. Already was getting looks around the goal line, 3 TDs in his last 3 games

How much FAAB are we blowing on this guy?  He's available in one of my short bench leagues. 

And Ito has looked worse
the difference being that Coleman has had the opportunity and definitely NOT run away with it. in the limited role Smith has had, he's been getting more RZ touches than I had anticipated and has a 3-game TD streak. 

Now, with the fact that Freeman is officially done (at least for 8 weeks), I think they're going to rely more on Smith. And as terrible as that Defense is, they're going to need to put up points to stay in games. 

Unless the Texans, Seahawks, & Browns hand the keys to Foreman, Penny, & Chubb (respectively), I honestly don't see another RB who can potentially go from the WW to starting RB in your fantasy lineup.  

Tevin Coleman is an injury waiting to happen. I will go out on a limb and say Ito Smith will be the sole RB1 for ATL by the end of the season

Tevin Coleman is an injury waiting to happen. I will go out on a limb and say Ito Smith will be the sole RB1 for ATL by the end of the season
Please don't do this. This is just sad.  

eta* I say that not to make fun of your judgment, but to make fun of Ito Smith being a workhorse.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't do this. This is just sad.  
I'm confused. I was pretty big on Ito earlier this summer due to Coleman's injury history, not really Freeman, although Freeman's had his too. Coleman tends to strain a hamstring, or his running style opens him up to concussions... unless he's corrected that. At the start of the season I'd have put my money on Coleman ending up on IR, not Freeman. 

I'm confused. I was pretty big on Ito earlier this summer due to Coleman's injury history, not really Freeman, although Freeman's had his too. Coleman tends to strain a hamstring, or his running style opens him up to concussions... unless he's corrected that. At the start of the season I'd have put my money on Coleman ending up on IR, not Freeman. 
No, this new board is confusing. If you felt that way, then that's cool. Good timing, but wrong guy. High-volume offense, and Freeman had been hurt before, too. Coleman is concussive, too. I don't disagree with you at all.  

No, this new board is confusing. If you felt that way, then that's cool. Good timing, but wrong guy. High-volume offense, and Freeman had been hurt before, too. Coleman is concussive, too. I don't disagree with you at all.  
I get it. I was wondering why it was such a weird statement. Yes, Ito as a workhorse is a weird thing to think about. I don't see him having a lotto ticket type year, but it's interesting nonetheless. I have him in one dynasty league and I was thrilled to grab him- he dropped way too low. Wasn't on my radar for redraft as we have short benches.

At the very least Ito is a decent flex play with TD hog potential. For anyone who lost Freeman, I imagine they lost a late 1st/early 2nd round pick, so they are short a RB1. Ito may not produce that for you but he's better than what's out there right now in most leagues. 

I get it. I was wondering why it was such a weird statement. Yes, Ito as a workhorse is a weird thing to think about. I don't see him having a lotto ticket type year, but it's interesting nonetheless. I have him in one dynasty league and I was thrilled to grab him- he dropped way too low. Wasn't on my radar for redraft as we have short benches.

At the very least Ito is a decent flex play with TD hog potential. For anyone who lost Freeman, I imagine they lost a late 1st/early 2nd round pick, so they are short a RB1. Ito may not produce that for you but he's better than what's out there right now in most leagues. 
I gotcha. I'd assumed most people had grabbed him, but your league's mileage may vary, as they say.  Depends on bench, size, etc. 

No probs. He's taken in mine.  

I wouldn't overspend on Ito if Duke or Gore are also available on waivers as they could put up similar numbers and be cheaper. 

Just landed Ito with a higher FAAB bid now what? Lol

I understand his potential, I think? I mean redzone carries, TD upside, more usage. Hold, play, or package him for another upgrade? 

Who do you like better ROS - Connor (Bell variable) or Smith? Trying to get a gauge for him presently and then throughout the week and into next week. Is Ito in RB 2 discussion or Flex? Is Ito a guy to really help your fantasy team? Or simply a smart pick up and a hope and see? I personally see upside... how much is the question?

I don't play IDP, but WTAF?
He's not all that great in IDP.  I see a lot of "IDP" leagues where teams only start 1 at each meta, or 3 IDP total, or something totally small like that.  Donald isn't all that surprising to be on the wire in those leagues and he's not really rosterable in medium sized leagues either.  He's DL49 in one of mine for example and is typically in the late teens/20's at DL.

He's not all that great in IDP.  I see a lot of "IDP" leagues where teams only start 1 at each meta, or 3 IDP total, or something totally small like that.  Donald isn't all that surprising to be on the wire in those leagues and he's not really rosterable in medium sized leagues either.  He's DL49 in one of mine for example and is typically in the late teens/20's at DL.
Gotcha. One of those guys who's more valuable for real football than FF? (Or maybe he hasn't been as dominant this year as in the past)

Users who are viewing this thread