What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm afraid to trade James Conner (1 Viewer)

Unless they trade Bell.

Which they should.
Why do people keep saying this? There is also zero chance they trade him.  Bell wouldn't play for the new team any more than he would play for the Steelers because he cannot get any more guaranteed money.  Bell is NOT ELIGIBLE to sign a long term contract with ANYONE once he signs his franchise tender until the season is over.  He could, hypothetically, hold out of the playofffs and negotiate a contract during the playoffs after week 17.  But nobody is going to trade for him on that premise, nor will he play on that premise.

This is basic logic.  He is not going to get traded and he will 100% report by week 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
When people are offering Michael Thomas and DeAndre Hopkins for a week one flash RB the hype has officially gotten out of control.

I would take those deals in a heartbeat, and cobble together a replacement RB while I looked to trade a WR bumped down my depth chart for a low-reputation, moderate-floor back like Crowell, Bernard or Miller.

Best case scenario for Conner: continues to produce behind a stellar PITT Oline, stays healthy, Bell either holds out for the full season or for whatever reason never regains the starting position when he does report and Conner stays the lead back.

Worst case scenario: Conner gets hurt or Bell comes back next week and replaces him, rendering him irrelevant.

In between scenario: Bell reports after 10 weeks, takes the starting job and Conner resumes backup duties.

I understand why some would want to try and get something for him now, but to me, he was a WW pickup in one league and a mid to late round pick two others. I'm okay with riding his production until the situation unravels. Those offering ridiculous offers for him are trying to salvage their seasons and are desperate. His value is at its zenith right now; I'd understand trying to parlay him into a Hopkins, Gronkowski, Kelce, etc but to me he's more valuable on my roster for the price I paid.

Best case scenario for Conner: continues to produce behind a stellar PITT Oline, stays healthy, Bell either holds out for the full season or for whatever reason never regains the starting position when he does report and Conner stays the lead back.

Worst case scenario: Conner gets hurt or Bell comes back next week and replaces him, rendering him irrelevant.

In between scenario: Bell reports after 10 weeks, takes the starting job and Conner resumes backup duties.

I understand why some would want to try and get something for him now, but to me, he was a WW pickup in one league and a mid to late round pick two others. I'm okay with riding his production until the situation unravels. Those offering ridiculous offers for him are trying to salvage their seasons and are desperate. His value is at its zenith right now; I'd understand trying to parlay him into a Hopkins, Gronkowski, Kelce, etc but to me he's more valuable on my roster for the price I paid.
Barring keeper league concerns, the price you paid for Conner is irrelevant now.

The downside is that Bell’s return lines up almost perfectly with the start of the fantasy playoffs that Conner will have gotten you to.

I’d rather pair a Hopkins or Thomas (who will likely be just as productive in week 12 as week 10) with an RB I’ve learned to rely on, than have Conner and Bell and be trying to guess usage in my one-and-done phase of the season.

The downside is that Bell’s return lines up almost perfectly with the start of the fantasy playoffs that Conner will have gotten you to.

I’d rather pair a Hopkins or Thomas (who will likely be just as productive in week 12 as week 10) with an RB I’ve learned to rely on, than have Conner and Bell and be trying to guess usage in my one-and-done phase of the season.
Exactly. He's useless in the playoffs no matter how you slice it. Bell is not going to lose an accrued season and they are not sitting their best offensive player. The Steelers will ride him hard and dump him this off-season for the max compensatory pick (they'll get a 3rd for letting him walk). 

But trading him relies on your own personal expectations. Personally, I expect Bell to report after 3-4 games. Enough to save some wear and tear and keep his overall touches under 300 for the season. But he'll report by October to make those game checks.  He can't possibly make up $8M so he won't stay out 10 weeks. But even if he does stay out 10 weeks, trading for an uber stud will help me in the playoffs.

Why do people keep saying this? There is also zero chance they trade him.  Bell wouldn't play for the new team any more than he would play for the Steelers because he cannot get any more guaranteed money.  Bell is NOT ELIGIBLE to sign a long term contract with ANYONE once he signs his franchise tender until the season is over.  He could, hypothetically, hold out of the playofffs and negotiate a contract during the playoffs after week 17.  But nobody is going to trade for him on that premise, nor will he play on that premise.

This is basic logic.  He is not going to get traded and he will 100% report by week 10.
Still think that they should just trade him and keep Connor as the lead back.

Still think that they should just trade him and keep Connor as the lead back.
How you are still not getting it? There isn't a team that will trade for him because they can't immediately sign him to a longer contract which means they will have traded for someone that immediately becomes a free agent after the season and can sign for more with someone else.

Stop talking about it. Trade is not in the realm of possibility.

How you are still not getting it? There isn't a team that will trade for him because they can't immediately sign him to a longer contract which means they will have traded for someone that immediately becomes a free agent after the season and can sign for more with someone else.

Stop talking about it. Trade is not in the realm of possibility.
My sources say you are wrong.

If someone is offering you a tier 1 WR fir Conner you pull the trigger immediately.  Bell could report next week.  He is back for sure week 10.  Conner can’t help you win a championship.  

If someone is offering you a tier 1 WR fir Conner you pull the trigger immediately.  Bell could report next week.  He is back for sure week 10.  Conner can’t help you win a championship.  
This. Why are people even asking? 

Unless...you don’t think you can make the playoffs without him. 

My problem is my WR are strong and need Conner to win now and resting RBs are suspect.  Initially tried to sell him to Bell owner for Royce,  but then Lindsay happened.

This. Why are people even asking? 

Unless...you don’t think you can make the playoffs without him. 
Agreed at the top tier.  What about the tier below it though?  e.g. a Thielen?  I still think it's worth the trade but less no brainer and could definitely explode in your face.

Agreed at the top tier.  What about the tier below it though?  e.g. a Thielen?  I still think it's worth the trade but less no brainer and could definitely explode in your face.
Same deal, honestly. If you are confident in making the playoffs without him, what use does he actually serve? I would readily trade him for someone that is going to help me come playoff time. So I guess my cutoff would be someone who could go into my starting lineup. 

Conner just went for Dante Pettis and a 1st (most likely late) and 3rd in one my leagues.

My problem is my WR are strong and need Conner to win now and resting RBs are suspect.  Initially tried to sell him to Bell owner for Royce,  but then Lindsay happened.
If you are that strong at WR then package something up to a team that is weak and land a solid RB2 with upside.  Like a Jordan Howard type.  

To all those saying that Bell 100% can't get traded, you are wrong.  Pittsburgh can rescind the tag, which will allow Bell to sign a longterm deal with the team that agrees to the trade.  In theory, Pittsburgh can rescind the tag and sign him themselves.  They just refuse to do that.
If they rescind the tag, there can’t be a trade because the Steelers have no one to trade away.  Bell would be a free agent and could sign that long term deal without a trade.  But it won’t happen because the Steelers get nothing that way.

I feel like this keeps getting said, and we are all going in circles here...

The trade would obviously be agreed to prior to rescinding the tag.  You think an NFL team would bamboozle the Steelers, by agreeing to a trade if the tag was rescinded, and then Bell not sign a longterm deal with Steelers and instead sign with the other team netting the Steelers nothing?  No chance.  

Order of operations:

1) Trade agreed to by Steelers, Bell, and unnamed team.

2) Bell agrees to a longterm contract with unnamed team.

3) Both teams agree to the swap/terms.

4) Tag gets rescinded.

5) Bell signs longterm deal with Steelers, for agreed upon terms with unnamed team.

6) Bell gets traded.

It's likely not going to happen, but  no one should say that it's not possible or not going to happen.  That's obviously not true.
Considering that trading players on long-term deals is nearly impossible because of the acceleration of future year cap hits, steps 5-6 can’t happen.

And I don’t see why, after step 4, the other team doesn’t just make the offer to Bell directly.

This is not happening...

As a Bell owner I just offered Henry straight up for Conner; I would expect it to be accepted and I might be overpaying but I think Conner might have some keeper value beyond this year and I'd be happy to lock up the Pitt RB for ROY. 

My biggest concern is my RB2 spot if Bell comes back to the Steelers. I’m killing it with Conner as my RB2 but I’m not excited about Collins filling that role.

Not sure how to proceed. Thanks to DJ underachieving, Conner has become critical to my lineup ( which is very strong at WR ). Again, the uncertainty still surrounding Bell and his usage may mean it is still more prudent to try trade for him than to trade Conner away. 

formerfourdigit said:
As a Bell owner I just offered Henry straight up for Conner; I would expect it to be accepted and I might be overpaying but I think Conner might have some keeper value beyond this year and I'd be happy to lock up the Pitt RB for ROY. 
I can keep him next year if he stays on my roster all year.  So it would take a ton for me to let him go.

Derrick Henry has 200 ish yards and no TDs this year.  Even if you think Conner's only value is if Lev Bell gets hurt at some point, he is still more valuable than a back who is getting a whopping 40 yards a game.

(By the way, I traded for Henry this year, just would never give Conner for him, even in a redraft at this point)

In redraft, he should have already been traded if you are able. Long game people know that, his value will never be higher and you can get a ransom for him.

In dynasty, I want no shares of this Pittsburgh mess that will happen in due time. Talent aside, Big Ben is flakey, do you trust him to not retire or say something that makes the room explode in division? Brown is also flaky, he is a toned down OBJ attitude ready to explode. The dynamic here is like a volcano getting ready to explode. Love Conners talent, but in fantasy we know there is so much more than talent that can derail your team.

thekidd2009 said:
Has anyone been able to trade Conner? I'm assuming it's too late but he's about to become a whole lot less valuable.
In redraft league you really only had one owner who would have valued him at what he was worth - the guy who has Bell.

In my league that guy was offering Fitzgerald and his kicker :lol:

I'm guessing Bell comes back, splits carries initially, and after a few weeks Bell starts taking like 70%.

I own both in dynasty and see no sense in trading either this year b/c I expect them to be RB1 type players for their respective (different) teams next year and going forward. The value is so depressed with this drama that it's not worth it to move either. It sucks b/c my WR core is hurting and I'm deep at RB but all my RBs except Melvin Gordon have depressed values right now, too. 

I do still see a trade as a possibility for the Steelers when Bell reports. If a team gives up a 2nd and Bell signs elsewhere in 2019 there'd be a 3rd round comp pick the following year. Bell is absolutely worth that price to a competitive team. A playoff team would sacrifice a 2019 pick in the 52-64 range and get a 2020 pick at 97ish. 

Ben Roethlisberger said James Conner "should not go on the shelf by any means" if/when Le'Veon Bell ends his holdout.

"I think Le’Veon’s one of the best in the business, I think we all understand that and can agree on that," Roethlisberger said. "But when Le’Veon comes back, in no way, shape or form should James just say, ‘OK, it’s all yours. I’m gonna sit back and when you need me, use me.’ And I will push for James to get as much run as we can because we’ve seen some great things from him in all phases of football. He’s picking up blitzes, he’s catching the ball, he’s running hard and making plays and playing with a passion, so we need to keep using that." If Ben wants it, he usually gets it. Conner seems certain to retain a prominent role.

Per Rotoworld

formerfourdigit said:
Whaaaa? Henry is useless. Whatever the owner gets for Conner starting this week will be more than Henry will give all year most likely. 

In redraft, he should have already been traded if you are able. Long game people know that, his value will never be higher and you can get a ransom for him.

In dynasty, I want no shares of this Pittsburgh mess that will happen in due time. Talent aside, Big Ben is flakey, do you trust him to not retire or say something that makes the room explode in division? Brown is also flaky, he is a toned down OBJ attitude ready to explode. The dynamic here is like a volcano getting ready to explode. Love Conners talent, but in fantasy we know there is so much more than talent that can derail your team.
What? A lot of long game people probably see Bell somewhere else next year...  How many bell cow backs exist in the league? Connor should be one of those long term.  Upside couldn't be much, if any, higher, and any current bell cow back could get competition added to the roster in the off season. 

formerfourdigit said:
The bold is wishful thinking, the latter is hoping the person you offered it to is reading this in some weird reverse psychology nonsense.

As a Chris Godwin owner, I just offered Paul Richardson straight up for Mike Evans; I would expect it to be accepted and I might be overpaying but I think Evans might have some keeper value beyond this year and I'd be happy to lock up the TB WR for ROY. 

Your getting Bell?  I'd take it, all the talk they'll keep running 50/50 split with Bell is talk, he's one of the best and they want to win they'll ride him.  Or he gets traded and is a RB1 somewhere else.
I wouldn't be so certain the PS agree with you.  If they get a three touchdown lead and want to run out the clock, they put in Bell.  If they want explosive plays that help win games they play Conner.  Here's some stats to consider:

(1) Number of missed tackles forced as a runner this year:

James Conner - 32, Saquon Barkley - 27, Kareem Hunt - 26, Lynch, Gordon, McCaffrey - 23

(2) Bell in 15 games last season had a combined 7 plays over 20+ yards, Conner in just 5 games has 6 plays over 20+ yards.

I wouldn't be so certain the PS agree with you.  If they get a three touchdown lead and want to run out the clock, they put in Bell.  If they want explosive plays that help win games they play Conner.  Here's some stats to consider:

(1) Number of missed tackles forced as a runner this year:

James Conner - 32, Saquon Barkley - 27, Kareem Hunt - 26, Lynch, Gordon, McCaffrey - 23

(2) Bell in 15 games last season had a combined 7 plays over 20+ yards, Conner in just 5 games has 6 plays over 20+ yards.
Bell is also an elite receiver.  Conner isn’t a slouch in that area but not many backs can touch Bell.  

I am of the mindset that Conner will keep his job all year, whether Bell reports or not.  It's not because Conner is better, and those claiming that are just being ridiculous.  Conner is currently a top 5 RB in FF, and is one of the NFL's few 3-down RB's at the moment.  He is 3rd on the team in targets, behind only Brown and Juju.  PIT has done nothing to bolster their RB corps, which signals they are fine with Conner.

Let's throw out a few scenarios from here on out...

1 - Bell does not play at all this year - in this case, Conner remains a top RB, and at his draft day ADP, he wins fantasy leagues

2 - Bell gets traded this year (which I don't think will happen) - same outcome as above

3 - Bell returns to PIT, but is rusty - in this case, you get a few more games of Conner, as he starts losing touches

4 - Bell returns in top shape - Bell takes over quickly, making Conner just a handcuff

5 - Bell returns, but PIT keeps him sidelined - same outcome as #1

For the non-Conner owners trying to acquire him, they will say his value is option 3 or 4, and will offer you guys like Derrick Henry (currently RB56 in my league).  Currently, I think the closest 1-for-1 trade is Mixon.

The bold is wishful thinking, the latter is hoping the person you offered it to is reading this in some weird reverse psychology nonsense.

For the non-Conner owners trying to acquire him, they will say his value is option 3 or 4, and will offer you guys like Derrick Henry (currently RB56 in my league).  Currently, I think the closest 1-for-1 trade is Mixon.
I guess it shows how difficult it is going to be to cut a deal for Conner since there are such a wide range of outcomes for his ROY.  Fantasy football history is littered with average guys in good/great situations that get overvalued, I think the jury is still out on how good Conner is and there might be some rose-colored glasses based on his last game against a historically inept D which comes off the heels of three really mediocre ones and a week 1 where he put up good numbers in a loss to the Browns. I definitely won't be offering Joe Mixon for him but we'll see if I get a counter.  I am no longer optimistic thanks to you buzzkills  :angry:

I am of the mindset that Conner will keep his job all year, whether Bell reports or not.  It's not because Conner is better, and those claiming that are just being ridiculous.  Conner is currently a top 5 RB in FF, and is one of the NFL's few 3-down RB's at the moment.  He is 3rd on the team in targets, behind only Brown and Juju.  PIT has done nothing to bolster their RB corps, which signals they are fine with Conner.

Let's throw out a few scenarios from here on out...

1 - Bell does not play at all this year - in this case, Conner remains a top RB, and at his draft day ADP, he wins fantasy leagues

2 - Bell gets traded this year (which I don't think will happen) - same outcome as above

3 - Bell returns to PIT, but is rusty - in this case, you get a few more games of Conner, as he starts losing touches

4 - Bell returns in top shape - Bell takes over quickly, making Conner just a handcuff

5 - Bell returns, but PIT keeps him sidelined - same outcome as #1

I'm of the mindset that scenario 3 happens. Bell did not come out the gates strong last year after holding out all preseason. It took him a few weeks to get going. So with that in mind, and how ugly this situation has become, it wouldn't be out of the question for them to work Bell in gradually. And that is assuming that the team is not going to take any action against Bell. 

I don't think the value for Conner is there. I've been trying to move him myself, and most teams are too worried to make a move for him. I would absolutely NOT trade him for Derrick Henry. So the previous poster that thought the Conner owner would make that deal is living in fantasy land or playing with amateurs. The best course of action would be to ride this thing out. Most of us got him on waivers or late rounds, so he's exceeded his investment many times over already. The best case scenario here would be Le'Veon gets traded, which gives Conner the starting job for the remainder of the year. His value would skyrocket, so if anybody has pending trade offers out there, I would be very quick to cancel them in the event a trade gets made.

Users who are viewing this thread