What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What we learned after week 1 (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
- E. Sanders is case keenum’s new thielen, but better.  

- The bills really are as bad as we thought.

- the browns really might have something special brewing.  excited to see what they can do in better weather and with josh Gordon not limited.   

- Kenny stills is tannehill’s #1 wr

- tyreek hill is a legit bonafide stud elite wr and has a shot at wr1 this season.   Sammy Watkins is an afterthought compared to hill. 

- Mahomes looks like the next brett Favre. 

- James might not get his job back.  

- Godwin is dope, but Diaz isn’t going away quietly.  

- Ronald jones is BURIED on the depth chart and droppable in redraft rt now.  

- Nyheim Hines looks good and might carve out a nice Darren sproles’ish role all season.  

- luck is definitely back.  

- Ebron will prove to be a steal in this draft year.  He really is playing the ertz role and looks good. 

- AP has some left in the tank 

- Jordan reed is going to have a monster year if he stays healthy 

- Chris Thompson looked fantastic.  

- josh doctson is not smith’s Wr1 and another underwhelming season seems on tap   

- rivers might have his best statistical year yet.  

- dalton has the weapons to be a top 10 QB this year.  

- the jags will spread the ball around too much for any one wr to be great for fantasy consistently. 

- josh Gordon is going to be a monster.  

- john Ross is going to make some noise this season but it will take some time for his involvement in the offense to increase. 

- Matt Ryan is trash while sarkisian is coordinator. 

- David Johnson is going to have a tough time returning. Too 4 pick value in that offense this year.   

- lev bell screwed himself by sitting out week 1 BC it proves that the steeler’s system is more important than the player. Conner joins a longs list of RBS that thrive in bell’s absence, making Bell less important to the team and the league.  

- saquon is the real deal.  

- Jax d picked up where it left off. 

- people who drafted Les wan McCoy are going to be miserable all season. 

- jonnu Smith is a must add. 

- Geronimo Allison is startable every week as a strong flex play as long as arodg is playing.  

- Dion Lewis is the more talented RB in tenn. 

- hyde is the unquestioned starter and Bellcow in Cle...for now. 

I got more but I have to go to sleep lol 

Alvin Kamara is easily a top 3 PPR back this year.  

Dallas may not win 7 games this year.  

Aaron Rodgers is a God. 

I'd add:

Drew Brees still has plenty left in the tank.

The cowboys' failure to replenish their offensive weapons could result in diminished returns for their current players (Zeke, Dak, etc.).

The bears defense will be a unit worth starting every week.

Dalvin Cook looks fully recovered and a bona fide threat, especially in PPR leagues.

Watson still has a ways to go before he's back to his exceptional pre-injury form from last season.

Some good ones in here.  

I do think that the TE situation this year is a giant question mark.  If he stays healthy--I think Gronk owners will command a huge advantage  throughout the course of the season--and no--I'm not a Gronk owner. 

Mixon looked great. 

The KC offense looks multi-faceted enough to where Kareem Hunt might get a moderate regression in stats

on a side note--as a Josh Gordon owner in 3 leagues--I'm not nearly as optimistic as most are after today.  I drafted the guy to be a WR2 with WR1 upside. He was technically off the injury report-and was basically goose egged until the very end of the game. Today eroded my confidence in picking him--it didn't help it one bit.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good ones in here.  

I do think that the TE situation this year is a giant question mark.  If he stays healthy--I think Gronk owners will command a huge advantage  throughout the course of the season--and no--I'm not a Gronk owner. 

Mixon looked great. 

The KC offense looks multi-faceted enough to where Kareem Hunt might get a moderate regression in stats

on a side note--as a Josh Gordon owner in 3 leagues--I'm not nearly as optimistic as most are after today.  I drafted the guy to be a WR2 with WR1 upside. He was technically off the injury report-and was basically goose egged until the very end of the game. Today eroded my confidence in picking him--it didn't help it one bit.  
This is a bit premature.  The team said he was going to be on a snap count, and did just that.  He probably only saw 20 or so snaps.

The Browns would win a lot of games if Baker Mayfield was starting.

David Njoku would be a monster at TE if he could catch a football.

Josh Gordon won't thrive until Mayfield is starting.

Austin Ekeler is a RB3.

The Cowboys were terrible offensively.

The Saints can't play defense.

The Titans are going to force feed Corey Davis, but whether he can actually eat is TBD.

Joe Mixon looked great and/or the Colts D looks awful.

Andy Dalton could have a bounce back season.

Patrick Mahomes (22) is going to be the next big thing at QB.

Taywan Taylor appears to have been a summer fling.

Aaron Rodgers is still the man.

Phillip Dorsett looks like the play until Edelman gets back.

Rob Gronkowski is still Gronk.

Kittle may be Garoppolo's #1.

The Vikes defense is really really good.

The Redskins look like a solid team on both sides of the ball.

For all the praise, Trubisky didn't have a very good game:  39 drops for 155 net yards and no TDs.

Howard and Cohen are in a true timeshare.

Royce Freeman, who was an excellent receiver at Oregon, didn't have a target.

Small backs generally seemed to be a thing.

The Browns would win a lot of games if Baker Mayfield was starting.

David Njoku would be a monster at TE if he could catch a football.

Josh Gordon won't thrive until Mayfield is starting.
You're probably right but how do we know this? 

Does that give Eckler the same sort of value as Ingram -- i.e., similar to the second tier of starting RBs (Ajayi, Lewis, Hyde, or Miller)?
I think Eckler will have a role every week. I think his floor is good but he doesn't have the upside of these other backs. I could be wrong. He is very good.

Not sure we learned it yet but even after one week, im concerned about the stats Kelce will put up. 
My concern as well, although trying not to make too much out of one game.

Hard to see Kelce being a target monster like he was with Smith and the largely short passing game. Mahomes’ has a penchant to air it out down the field, which is probably  going to benefit Hill and perhaps Watkins more.

Luck will be a QB1 simply because of volume

WR's other than Keenan Allen are going to make it easier for Mike Williams to ascend to WR2 status

CLE has a FF startable defense.

Randall Cobb is VERY fantasy relevant again

Saints are notoriously slow starters.  If you find their DST on waivers...could be a time to pounce.

Adrian Peterson is ageless.  And angry about the last two years.

The Dak Magic from 2016 seems a long time ago.

The stat line CMC put up will be very common. 10/6 rush/rec split.  Close to 100 YFS.

Deshaun Watson looked uneasy out there. 

I think we're all going to wonder how much of a disservice the Titans did Marcus Mariota by pairing him with Mike Mularkey for three years. 

Dion Lewis is the RB to own in TEN

BUF is this years DST streamer opponent.

If Fitzmagic wins one more game, Mr. Winston, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Clipboard.

In here to second or third that the Mahomes/Hill thing is very real and I knew I should have reached for Hill over OBJ and the Giants' offensive line that gives Eli no time to throw.  

Than again, it was Jax, so...

- E. Sanders is case keenum’s new thielen, but better.  

- The bills really are as bad as we thought.

- the browns really might have something special brewing.  excited to see what they can do in better weather and with josh Gordon not limited.   

- Kenny stills is tannehill’s #1 wr

- tyreek hill is a legit bonafide stud elite wr and has a shot at wr1 this season.   Sammy Watkins is an afterthought compared to hill. 

- Mahomes looks like the next brett Favre. 

- James might not get his job back.  

- Godwin is dope, but Diaz isn’t going away quietly.  

- Ronald jones is BURIED on the depth chart and droppable in redraft rt now.  

- Nyheim Hines looks good and might carve out a nice Darren sproles’ish role all season.  

- luck is definitely back.  

- Ebron will prove to be a steal in this draft year.  He really is playing the ertz role and looks good. 

- AP has some left in the tank 

- Jordan reed is going to have a monster year if he stays healthy 

- Chris Thompson looked fantastic.  

- josh doctson is not smith’s Wr1 and another underwhelming season seems on tap   

- rivers might have his best statistical year yet.  

- dalton has the weapons to be a top 10 QB this year.  

- the jags will spread the ball around too much for any one wr to be great for fantasy consistently. 

- josh Gordon is going to be a monster.  

- john Ross is going to make some noise this season but it will take some time for his involvement in the offense to increase. 

- Matt Ryan is trash while sarkisian is coordinator. 

- David Johnson is going to have a tough time returning. Too 4 pick value in that offense this year.   

- lev bell screwed himself by sitting out week 1 BC it proves that the steeler’s system is more important than the player. Conner joins a longs list of RBS that thrive in bell’s absence, making Bell less important to the team and the league.  

- saquon is the real deal.  

- Jax d picked up where it left off. 

- people who drafted Les wan McCoy are going to be miserable all season. 

- jonnu Smith is a must add. 

- Geronimo Allison is startable every week as a strong flex play as long as arodg is playing.  

- Dion Lewis is the more talented RB in tenn. 

- hyde is the unquestioned starter and Bellcow in Cle...for now. 

I got more but I have to go to sleep lol 
nice list, although half of them are most likely wrong.

It is not premature.  He played in 69 of of the teams 89 snaps--78% of them.  Dude had 1 reception in 69 snaps.   Week 1 was not a positive sign for Gordon owners. 
In a driving downpour against a team that gave up the fifth least yards to WRs last year he netted about eight points in standard with three (?!) targets on sixty-nine snaps. I'd say the future actually looks bright under different conditions. 

Starting with less than confidence, more than sunk cost.  

If it's all Tyreek then Kelce will suffer because drives are ended so quickly. I've seen studs have horrible first games and then blow up. It seems this team could have a very big pie this year. I think he will bounce back. He's too good. 
Kelce owner since he entered the league. Kelce is known to disappear at times. Especially early in the season. Then he is all up in their face about getting the ball and he starts to feast. Not worried. 

In a driving downpour against a team that gave up the fifth least yards to WRs last year he netted about eight points in standard with three (?!) targets on sixty-nine snaps. I'd say the future actually looks bright under different conditions. 

Starting with less than confidence, more than sunk cost.  
Every other talented WR in that game played in the same conditions and managed to put up bigger and better numbers.  Gordon was taken off of the injury report before the game and it's evident that the 20 target thing was bologna.  Gordon was completely goose egged until the end of the game--even though his defense got 5 Pittsburgh turnovers while his own team committed none--which means the Browns had plenty of extra offensive opportunities that the Steelers guys did not.   As a Gordon owner in several leagues--I would love for week 1 to have been a clearly positive sign for his outlook.   It absolutely was not.     Yesterday makes me feel very weary of starting him next week--not confident.   The guy missed camp and has to somehow establish chemistry with his qb on the fly.  I'm not sure if that's something that can be done in a week or two.   

Who? Controlling for constants, Jarivs Landry? Well, Jarvis is going to get his, that's for sure. He was a good receiver in Miami, too.  

Sure JuJu and A. Brown went off. They're playing with Big Ben. 

Gordon was also wide open on an underthrown deep ball for another one of his targets and easily would have had a twenty point day if the ball is there. 

Establishing chemistry with your QB on the fly is one thing, I'll give you that, but he didn't have a bad day, all things considered. 

It's a work in progress. If you drafted him early, then the onus is on you. If you waited and absorbed his risk or drafted him early while surrounding yourself with studs, you got a bargain. Either way, you should be able to absorb a Gordon albatross of merely eight points standard under those conditions. (Suspension, injury, new QB, torrential rain).  

As I always do, let me remind everyone of where we stood after week 1 last year to help us understand one week means nothing:

Bradford and Siemien were top 5 QBs. Russell Wilson and Tom Brady were QB23 and 24. 

MIke Gillislee had 3 TDs and was definitely the back to own in New England. Tarik Cohen was RB4 in standard. Terrance West was RB10 and the clear lead back in Baltimore. Alvin Kamara and Dion Lewis were mostly getting dropped or left on waivers. Jonathan Stewart looked like the back to have in Carolina.

Kenny Golladay was WR3, Jordy looked like the same old Jordy with 7/89/1. Amari Cooper finally scored a RZ TD and everyone saw a fantasy dream season coming. Jeramy Maclin and Corey Coleman were top 16 WRs and looked like draft day steals. All while guys like Davante Adams, Michael Thomas and Devin Funchess finished outside of the top 48 WRs. 

The Coby Fleener breakout season in New Orleans was happening (5/54/1).

The Patriots dynasty was over. The Saints D was torched by Sam Bradford and we were all saying, "same old awful Saints D". Raiders beat the Titans in a match-up of two SB contenders. Deshaun Watson and the Texans offense looked awful only scoring 7 points. 

As I always do, let me remind everyone of where we stood after week 1 last year to help us understand one week means nothing:

Bradford and Siemien were top 5 QBs. Russel Wilson and Tom Brady were QB23 and 24. 

MIke Gillislee had 3 TDs and was definitely the back to own in New England. Tarik Cohen was RB4 in standard. Terrance West was RB10 and the clear lead back in Baltimore. Alvin Kamara and Dion Lewis were mostly getting dropped or left on waivers. Jonathan Stewart looked like the back to own in Carolina.

Kenny Golladay was WR3, Jordy looked like the same old Jordy was 7/89/1. Amari Cooper finally scored a RZ TD and everyone saw a fantasy dream season coming. Jeramy Maclin and Corey Coleman were top 16 WRs and looked like draft day steals. All while guys like Davante Adams, Michael Thomas and Devin Funchess finished outside of the top 48 WRs. 

The Coby Fleener breakout season in New Orleans was happening (5/54/1)

The Patriots dynasty was over. The Saints D was torched by the Sam Bradford and were all saying, "same old awful Saints D". Raiders beat the Titans in a match-up of two SB contenders. Deshaun Watson and the Texans offense looked awful only scoring 7 points. 
Yep. Everybody is rushing too quickly, though there are certain things from the preseason that are holding form (if not playing time). Things like Sanders/Keenum and Hill/Mahomes II are already paying dividends for those that rostered them and had seen the connection.

Also, Watson relieved that game for HOU. Not to be a pedant, but I roster him, so remember it.  

Who? Controlling for constants, Jarivs Landry? Well, Jarvis is going to get his, that's for sure. He was a good receiver in Miami, too.  

Sure JuJu and A. Brown went off. They're playing with Big Ben. 

Gordon was also wide open on an underthrown deep ball for another one of his targets and easily would have had a twenty point day if the ball is there. 

Establishing chemistry with your QB on the fly is one thing, I'll give you that, but he didn't have a bad day, all things considered. 

It's a work in progress. If you drafted him early, then the onus is on you. If you waited and absorbed his risk or drafted him early while surrounding yourself with studs, you got a bargain. Either way, you should be able to absorb a Gordon albatross of merely eight points standard under those conditions. (Suspension, injury, new QB, torrential rain).  
I think we just have to agree to disagree. As bad as Tyrod was yesterday--he played exponentially better than Ben.  If you are stating that the Steelers WR's were more productive in yesterdays game because of superior QB play--I completely disagree.

And yes--you are right--the owners that drafted Gordon (including myself) did so knowing he was risky.  The onus is definitely on us and I have never come close to saying otherwise.  The title of this thread is "things we learned week 1" and people were indicating that Gordon is going to be a beast as if it was cemented in stone after yesterdays game.  It's not that 8 points are catastropic.  The fact was that for over 58 minutes of game time the dude did absolutely nothing.  Even the 8 points that he ended up getting were a miracle.   They were not a confidence instilling 8 points.  In any case--I hope the dude gets better and better so that I can feel confident starting him--but yesterday did nothing to help.  

Yep. Everybody is rushing too quickly, though there are certain things from the preseason that are holding form (if not playing time). Things like Sanders/Keenum and Hill/Mahomes II are already paying dividends for those that rostered them and had seen the connection.

Also, Watson relieved that game for HOU. Not to be a pedant, but I roster him, so remember it.  
Yep came in here to say the same.   So many veterans play so little in preseason that week 1 these guys are shaking off cobwebs, timing is off, lots of penalties, etc.     

Most of mine would be confirmation bias, so the biggest thing I changed my mind on was Conner.  I wasn’t very interested.

After seeing that usage pattern, his snap count, and receiving ability, he’s easily a top 10 rb until Bell shows up. 

I think we just have to agree to disagree. As bad as Tyrod was yesterday--he played exponentially better than Ben.  If you are stating that the Steelers WR's were more productive in yesterdays game because of superior QB play--I completely disagree.

And yes--you are right--the owners that drafted Gordon (including myself) did so knowing he was risky.  The onus is definitely on us and I have never come close to saying otherwise.  The title of this thread is "things we learned week 1" and people were indicating that Gordon is going to be a beast as if it was cemented in stone after yesterdays game.  It's not that 8 points are catastropic.  The fact was that for over 58 minutes of game time the dude did absolutely nothing.  Even the 8 points that he ended up getting were a miracle.   They were not a confidence instilling 8 points.  In any case--I hope the dude gets better and better so that I can feel confident starting him--but yesterday did nothing to help.  
Yeah, I guess I'm biased in favor of him. I can't drop nor deny his raw talent. My honest assessment of Gordon is somebody who is so physically gifted it's impossible to pass on that freakishness, but he's also someone who runs merely adequate routes and doesn't come down with the ball enough. He's a playground guy, but a very good one, even at the NFL level. But at the NFL level, QBs hate uncertainty. So much timing is involved, they can look really bad. So Gordon, who never practices or is there in the off-season, is always a step behind for both targets and catches. 

That's the only confidence I don't have in him. His own quarterbacks and how they develop rapport with him. Because he can beat any defensive back off of the line and he can get open if plays are extended, it's just a question of whether or not he'll be found by his own guy. 

Users who are viewing this thread