What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Priority: What's Your Strategy? (1 Viewer)

Skoo

Footballguy
In one league last year, I basically disregarded waiver priority completely and it really worked out for me. Every week I'd be last or nearly last in priority, and I kept getting good players like Kenyan Drake because everyone else was trying to move up in priority and would wait until waivers ran to pick up their FA's. Well, that HUGE WW STUD we all hope for never really came, and I rode Drake and Co. to a title.

This year, however, I start the season with #1 priority in both leagues. So for the moment I'm in uncharted territory, and thought it might be a good discussion. For instance in one league I have Fournette but no Yeldon. (I know) So while of course I'd like to have him, I'm not sure he's worth spending the #1 because even if Fournette is out I have James Conner, Royce Freeman, Hyde, and Kerryon so I'm not desperate at RB just yet.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear how you all play it!

In the years we used it, I never paid attention to it and would churn at least one most weeks.

Since we went to FAAB 3-4 years ago, I consistently outspend my leaguemates. Different deal but it's the same principle. By week ten we've got 2-5 managers still sitting on their full $100 waiting for that championship WW gem (who may never come at that point), and I've got $20 left and decent options at every position from working the wire.

I've been in a ton of leagues and it's almost always the same. 2-3 owners are hyper active and 2-3 owners will bide their time, the middle will dabble.

In one league last year, I basically disregarded waiver priority completely and it really worked out for me. Every week I'd be last or nearly last in priority, and I kept getting good players like Kenyan Drake because everyone else was trying to move up in priority and would wait until waivers ran to pick up their FA's. Well, that HUGE WW STUD we all hope for never really came, and I rode Drake and Co. to a title.

This year, however, I start the season with #1 priority in both leagues. So for the moment I'm in uncharted territory, and thought it might be a good discussion. For instance in one league I have Fournette but no Yeldon. (I know) So while of course I'd like to have him, I'm not sure he's worth spending the #1 because even if Fournette is out I have James Conner, Royce Freeman, Hyde, and Kerryon so I'm not desperate at RB just yet.

Im in the exact same position as you.  In the past Ive been a work the way up the ladder guy but you end up missing out on a ton of good players that way hoping to hit on that 1  game breaking player who pops open due to injury ( who may or may not pan out no less)  2 years ago I worked and worked....and when I finally made it to the top ......NOBODY worth taking came open.  I ended up wasting it at the end of the year  on a defense no less.  Last year I started at the bottom and decided to change strategy.  If people were going to hold out I was gonna zig when they zagged.  I dont think I picked up a single ferson through  drop/adds.... I was regularly picking up 3-4 people every week through the waiver wire.  Of course i never got a cream of the crop player BUT  I got nearly every good player I wanted.   This year here I am sitting with first priority  trying to figure out how long to hold onto it....Its a curse I tell you.  I never payed that much attention to just how many people were squatters in my league....because I was one of them.  My  strategy changed and I ended up winning the league for the first time in 15 years.  

In the years we used it, I never paid attention to it and would churn at least one most weeks.

Since we went to FAAB 3-4 years ago, I consistently outspend my leaguemates. Different deal but it's the same principle. By week ten we've got 2-5 managers still sitting on their full $100 waiting for that championship WW gem (who may never come at that point), and I've got $20 left and decent options at every position from working the wire.

I've been in a ton of leagues and it's almost always the same. 2-3 owners are hyper active and 2-3 owners will bide their time, the middle will dabble.
It's blind bidding in all my leagues.  I'm the one that dabbles & miss out early.   God willing & the creek don't rise I'm changing that this year.

I'm pretty binary on my waiver priority. If I have a strong/play-off team, I guard it pretty carefully. If I don't, I churn my roster quite a bit.

We finally switched to retaining our place if you don’t make a selection this year. It always reset every week and was based on record, which I hated. Can’t believe it took so long for us to change it. 

Anywayyy, the reason I personally wanted it changed is because I am big on the notion of waiting for the right time. We have 6 IDP spots so there is a lot of turnover on the defensive side. I actually don’t see any changes I want to make after week 1 so will hold this week. There are very few moves I make on offense (we have a 34 round draft so plenty of bench depth) and can generally grab defense after waivers run if needed. 

I would retain your position. You have enough depth it’s not necessary. 

Early on, I would pay almost no attention to it.

then for a few years, I was extremely precious with it.

One season I got hit with a lot of injuries and just kept churning and it worked really well.

Then I did that the next year and felt like I got burnt.

I am now pretty careful with it.  I think that it is really hard to have any one strategy, because a lot of it depends on who ends up being available.  In years when RBs are getting knocked out left and right, there are often a lot of needs and a lot of replacements.  In other years, there aren't that many clear game changers available and trying to scoop up the more marginal talent seems more important.

So basically at this point, I look for a guy who I think has a credible shot at being a multi-week high-level player and I have players on my roster who I think have less high-end upside.  If not, then I will pass an wait for someone to come up who can fit that calculus.

Im in the exact same position as you.  In the past Ive been a work the way up the ladder guy but you end up missing out on a ton of good players that way hoping to hit on that 1  game breaking player who pops open due to injury ( who may or may not pan out no less)  2 years ago I worked and worked....and when I finally made it to the top ......NOBODY worth taking came open.  I ended up wasting it at the end of the year  on a defense no less.  Last year I started at the bottom and decided to change strategy.  If people were going to hold out I was gonna zig when they zagged.  I dont think I picked up a single ferson through  drop/adds.... I was regularly picking up 3-4 people every week through the waiver wire.  Of course i never got a cream of the crop player BUT  I got nearly every good player I wanted.   This year here I am sitting with first priority  trying to figure out how long to hold onto it....Its a curse I tell you.  I never payed that much attention to just how many people were squatters in my league....because I was one of them.  My  strategy changed and I ended up winning the league for the first time in 15 years.  
First time playing in a league where it rolls over.  If I grab someone on FCFS after waivers have gone though, does this affect the position?  What about if I make a claim for the 2nd round of waivers?

Nothing  is what I’ll do this week. Allow waivers to run then have a look at what QB and D I’ll stream from what’s left. If a juicy morsel drops then I’ll use a claim on that instead 

First time playing in a league where it rolls over.  If I grab someone on FCFS after waivers have gone though, does this affect the position?  What about if I make a claim for the 2nd round of waivers?
leagues can be different but I think in general you get1 pick then go to the end of the line....  if you make a 2nd pick everybody who places a pick gets 1...then a 2nd round  happens...and on and on until no other pick is made.   SO I start week 1 at WW priority 1 if theoretically  everyone makes a pick ( never happens btw)  next week I would  still be  WW1 ...but if I make a 2nd pick ( and nobody else does)  then Im at the end of the list  next week......   FCFS does not affect the waiver order so most wait till the waiver wire has run and pick up as many fcfs  guys as they see fit to help their team.  

i've never done 2 rounds of waivers, so hard to hard to answer, but normally when in the FCFS period, it shouldn't affect waiver priority at all. I assume that each period of waivers will continue with the same rolling priority from the prior period and would affect priority in the next waiver period.

Kittle and Yeldon are on the WW and I have Fournette and Olsen ... so bidding pretty high.

Probably go 80%+ on Yeldon in one league and 70%+ on Kittle. I have no backup TE nor RB depth in those two leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lindsay and Jonnu Smith are worthy adds. 3 of my 4 teams won, so I'm not desperate.

But I'm definitely interested in Lindsay. Hopefully bias towards Freeman lets me pick him up!

Kittle and Yeldon are on the WW and I have Fournette and Olsen ... so bidding pretty high.

Probably go 80%+ on Yeldon in one league and 70%+ on Kittle. I have no backup TE nor RB depth in those two leagues.
You're that worried about Fournette?  80% on Yeldon seems a little nuts.  I'm sure you could get him for 40%

leagues can be different but I think in general you get1 pick then go to the end of the line....  if you make a 2nd pick everybody who places a pick gets 1...then a 2nd round  happens...and on and on until no other pick is made.   SO I start week 1 at WW priority 1 if theoretically  everyone makes a pick ( never happens btw)  next week I would  still be  WW1 ...but if I make a 2nd pick ( and nobody else does)  then Im at the end of the list  next week......   FCFS does not affect the waiver order so most wait till the waiver wire has run and pick up as many fcfs  guys as they see fit to help their team.  
Thanks.  I have some RB depth so I'm going to pass on Lindsay and keep my top priority moving forward.

Top priority will probably fade and I’m going to put in a claim for Enunwa at the 2 spot cause my WRs are kind of shaky. Passing on Lindsay because my RB depth is okay or else I’d put a claim in on him with the #2.

I am pretty sure I will remain at the back of the priority list, because I started by grabbing the JAX D when an owner dropped them to pick up the DET D vs NYJ.  I couldn't let them sit there, and it turned out 3 owners had put in claims for them.  Now that I am last, I will get my folks off the free agent list after waivers closes, so I will miss out on the "obvious" players.  If I can do my best Nostradamus impression, I can find backups a week before they become "obvious". 

You also can't just operate in a vacuum. It matters what happens in the rest of the league and how they use their budgets.

This week with D. Walker and G. Olsen out and numerous underperformers you know you're going to have to pony up to get a TE. Regardless of strategy.

Is Ekeler being available a mistake? From what I saw he looked great.
It's not a mistake. He comes buried behind Gordon, who the coach seems to have full confidence in. That said, he does a lot with his touches and if Gordon goes down, he's (Ekeler) a better back than most casual players realize. That's the rub, though. You waste a bench spot behind a solid bell-cow back for a change of pace one.  

I'm picking him up in my twelve teamer with a bit of a bid. (I like to gamble.)

It's not a mistake. He comes buried behind Gordon, who the coach seems to have full confidence in. That said, he does a lot with his touches and if Gordon goes down, he's (Ekeler) a better back than most casual players realize. That's the rub, though. You waste a bench spot behind a solid bell-cow back for a change of pace one.  

I'm picking him up in my twelve teamer with a bit of a bid. (I like to gamble.)
Yes, I watched this whole game because it was really fun and I agree with your take for the most part. Could be that KC makes a lot of folks look great too.

I have 4th waiver claim, I am putting a claim in for ekeler and Lindsey. I have DJ,mixon and carson as my rbs

My wr are juju, crowder, cole,woods and golladay. Will hope once waivers clear grab 1 of godwin, enuawa, ryan grant or brandon marshall.

I have 4th waiver claim, I am putting a claim in for ekeler and Lindsey. I have DJ,mixon and carson as my rbs

My wr are juju, crowder, cole,woods and golladay. Will hope once waivers clear grab 1 of godwin, enuawa, ryan grant or brandon marshall.
I don't see any way that Godwin clears waivers but gllll

Mine is a keeper league with just a blind bid based on current standings. RB is always the priority because of how hard it is to find one after the draft. I got Kamara that way last year. ?

My dynasty league switched to blind bid waivers this year (24 man rosters). Debating on how much I should increase what my normal bid would be on guys like Phillip Lindsay and Ryan Grant given that the waiver pool is considerably thinner then what it is in a redraft league.

Anyone have blind bid insight for dynasty leagues (not necessarily on the guys I mentioned but in general for the more highly regarded waiver wire players)?

League #1, Collins as my RB2. I picked up Dixon as a HC. Naturally Dixon gets hurt & Allen has a great game. He’s my priority. I have some depth, but that’s an important position to cover. 5th priority I have a shot.

league 2: hoping to get Fitzmagic at 12th priority -  decent chance. He has a bad matchup this week, but I’ve got Winston, so really just covering my investment in case Fitz steals the job. Also hoping to get Panthers D/ST, & the other rookie in Denver to protect Royce. 

:doh:  

Then if someone drafts well with a deep bench, manages that bench well throughout the season so that he doesn't have to use the waiver wire, then has an injury to his top RB in week 13, he's basically screwed. 

Ok.
So? 

A good owner would have his top RB already covered

Then if someone drafts well with a deep bench, manages that bench well throughout the season so that he doesn't have to use the waiver wire, then has an injury to his top RB in week 13, he's basically screwed. 

Ok.
Might be even more drastic earlier in the season when there is not that much difference among the teams.  Say everyone is between 4-2 and 2-4 at the end of 6 weeks.  automatically give the worst team highest waiver priority?  no.

i THINK the other rookie in Denvers role would stay the same if Freeman got injured, Booker would take Freeman's role.

But what do I know?
Yeah but Booker is horrible & the other rookie looked great rushing & receiving. 

I’m pretty sure they’d try it but Booker would be 97% likely to continue his trend of losing his job to anyone with a jersey. 

Might be even more drastic earlier in the season when there is not that much difference among the teams.  Say everyone is between 4-2 and 2-4 at the end of 6 weeks.  automatically give the worst team highest waiver priority?  no.
In general I agree - the last few years I’ve enjoyed good starts, and it’s nice to watch your WW claim position rise as others make claims. 

This year I’m biting the bullet with my 5th position, and have nothing to lose at 12.  :shrug:

in the league I’m at 12, historically folks have coveted that 1 spot so when [insert top RB here] goes down, they get them. 

So even at 12th I’ve gotten a surprising number of solid players because people opted to value the claim priority over getting the player, and figured they’d be quick to the FA list. Sometimes that claim at 12 makes a big difference.  

I won't play in a league where the order resets every week. There is no strategy to that, other than tank the first two weeks, get the best guys off the wire, churn the bottom of the roster and then make a run. 

Some leagues overcome the RB thing by giving the injured owner first rights to his backup if it's not already on a roster. He basicly gets to jump the line if he states it on the league message board.

I won't play in a league where the order resets every week. There is no strategy to that, other than tank the first two weeks, get the best guys off the wire, churn the bottom of the roster and then make a run. 
Seems like a valid risk-reward strategy to me. :shrug:

Then again I am not a very invested FF player so may be different with more at stake.

Users who are viewing this thread