What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloomberg 2020 (1 Viewer)

I think I could make a good case that the policy proposals by Mike are worse than Trump could dream of. What exactly has Trump does as President? 
You mean besides represent and push to the forefront the worst parts of American culture?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Liberals crack me up... They basically hate him for being wealthy and savvy.

You guys mad he will do something about climate change? Angry that he will go to war with the NRA? Maybe you're all upset he wants to reverse the course Trump set us on in regards to immigration? 

It's amazing to me bc he is on the same side as these super libs on so many issues that are supposedly important to them. 

Or is it possible you hate him bc he is a rich Jew from NY?
This isn't true at all. People don't like him for the same reason they don't like Trump, he seems like a genuinely awful person. Views others as sub-human, 40+ sexual assault accusations, has a very divisive personality, etc.

I lean left and sure my views might align more with Bloomberg, but policies aren't the only thing that's important to me when I'm voting for someone to lead the country. Not sure why it's so hard to understand why many people value basic morals when electing someone to represent the country.

It is a real question, and I'm certainly not the first person to wonder how many people dislike Bloomberg for being a rich Jewish New Yorker. With a straight face, you can't tell me there isn't a population out there that feels this way. 
It's true, and it's likely why he's running as "Mike."  I remember when Dannel Malloy was running for governor of CT and had that Jewish first name he insisted on being "Dan." Just plain old "Dan." After the election, it was back to Dannel, but that's besides the point. It's real and it exists for sure. 

You mean besides represent and push to the forefront the worst parts of American culture?  
I meant policy accomplishments that would solidify him as a threat to democracy vis a vis policy. 

Perhaps I've just put my fingers in my ears and "la-la-la'd" my way out of peaceful bliss, but it seems to me that other than the tax bill, he really hasn't gotten even his most basic platform through.

I'd think the members of this board that are liberals are generally woke enough that antisemitism is pretty far away from the reasons.

Reasons such as supporting wide scale use of CCTV, the drug war, stop and frisk, social media profiling, surveillance by the NSA -- all those things add up to quite a bit.
Thanks, @rockaction.  The fact that I'm being accused of disliking him because he's a Jew from New York is absurd, my entire family is Jews from New York.

@fantasycurse42 -- Bloomberg's views on gun control and climate change are the sorts of reasons I would vote for Bloomberg in the general election over Trump, but his views on those issues are pretty similar to other Democrats running.  But when it comes to issues that I care about like income inequality and diminishing the influence of money in politics, Bloomberg is just not the sort of person that I want to represent the Democrats.  I'm not sure how we can be credible as a party even complaining about those things with Bloomberg as the leader of the Democratic party.

I'm not sure how we can be credible as a party even complaining about those things with Bloomberg as the leader of the Democratic party.
This is the cherry on top for me. Beyond liking him, hopefully in the same way Trump is killing the GOP, Bloomberg can kill the Dems. Our political system is ####### embarrassing and sad. 

Between these two guys, if they completely reshaped the system and destroyed this pathetic two party pick one ####ty election we have, I'd be ecstatic! 

I meant policy accomplishments that would solidify him as a threat to democracy vis a vis policy. 

Perhaps I've just put my fingers in my ears and "la-la-la'd" my way out of peaceful bliss, but it seems to me that other than the tax bill, he really hasn't gotten even his most basic platform through.
I knew what you meant but that’s my point.  

Too many have boiled down what the POTUS means/is down to just policy or the economy.  The position is so much more then that (as any position of leadership is more then the orders they can bark). Quite literally that position or person represents what we are/are supposed to be as a people. They should be the best of us and they should represent the best of us.  Like it or not that position is the face of who we are to the world. Trump has gotten a lot done and done an ungodly amount of damage in this regard.  

Too many have boiled down what the POTUS means/is down to just policy or the economy.  The position is so much more then that (as any position of leadership is more then the orders they can bark). Quite literally that position or person represents what we are/are supposed to be as a people. They should be the best of us and they should represent the best of us.  Like it or not that position is the face of who we are to the world. Trump has gotten a lot done and done an ungodly amount of damage in this regard.  
I agree.

You guys mad he will do something about climate change? Angry that he will go to war with the NRA? Maybe you're all upset he wants to reverse the course Trump set us on in regards to immigration? 

It's amazing to me bc he is on the same side as these super libs on so many issues that are supposedly important to them. 

Democrats and liberals traditionally have not had a problem with voting for politicians who are wealthy, see FDR, JFK and most recently John Kerry (although it was his wife who had the bucks).

This is the cherry on top for me. Beyond liking him, hopefully in the same way Trump is killing the GOP, Bloomberg can kill the Dems. Our political system is ####### embarrassing and sad. 

Between these two guys, if they completely reshaped the system and destroyed this pathetic two party pick one ####ty election we have, I'd be ecstatic! 
OK, now put yourself in the shoes of someone like me that, as a general matter, approves of the policy positions espoused by the Democratic Party.  Can you see how the same thing that is exciting to you would be very unappealing to me?

FWIW...I am not part of the party but will be voting for damn near anything offered up in contrast of Trump including Bloomberg.  As an outsider, the things you list here are things I can find with just about any of the other candidates.  Those sorts of things I don't see as an issue.  One of the issues I have as a moderate is that I don't want to see money influencing politics the way it does today.  Voting for Bloomberg is a direct contradiction to that IMO.  He also needs to be on the debate stage IMO.  Then, from there, I have a few other things that concern me, but not like my concerns with Trump.

Clearly I'm opposed to jews from NY

It is a real question, and I'm certainly not the first person to wonder how many people dislike Bloomberg for being a rich Jewish New Yorker. With a straight face, you can't tell me there isn't a population out there that feels this way. 
You do realize that the Democratic frontrunner, whom almost everyone disagreeing with you on Bloomberg would support in a GE, is Jewish?  

Don't presume to know what me or my motivations are. Yours is a supremely dooshy and condescending post. 

I'm totally on board with some of Bloomberg's policies.  But if Trump has shown me anything,  it's the disaster that can result in overlooking fatal flaws because "I like his policies."

Bloomberg is literally in the midst of buying an election. Something even Trump isn't willing to do (if only because he's too greedy and doesn't have Bloomberg's resources). He's showing a blueprint for what one incredibly wealthy and smart guy can do if he decides there is no limit to what he's willing to spend to do it. If he wins the nomination,  he'll be willing to wallow in the muck with Trump, which I also find disgusting. If he wins the presidency,  it's not like hes going to stop buying things if expense is not a concern. A guy like this could literally buy bipartisan support. It's not like any of the members of Congress are going to stop him. They'll line up with their hands out.

These things are non-starters for me. I won't compromise what I feel is right just because I can't stand Trump.

I think many people aren’t immediately fans because all he has done since announcing was buy a bunch of ads and do one interview with Good Morning CBS where they basically asked him what his favorite colors were.

It’s pretty unusual. I assumed since he couldn’t get in the debates he’d be all over the place doing other media.

NYC is one city in the whole country and most people don’t care or know about the politics of their mayor and would like to hear a lot more from him besides these corny ads. 

Some of his policies are a little racist and I don't like the nasty things he said about women, but I'm voting for him because the other side's candidate is just too corrupt

I feel like I've heard this somewhere before? 🤔
Wow bud, sounds like you got a antisemitism problem, left is eating its own republican billionaires 😔

I think many people aren’t immediately fans because all he has done since announcing was buy a bunch of ads and do one interview with Good Morning CBS where they basically asked him what his favorite colors were.

It’s pretty unusual. I assumed since he couldn’t get in the debates he’d be all over the place doing other media.

NYC is one city in the whole country and most people don’t care or know about the politics of their mayor and would like to hear a lot more from him besides these corny ads. 

I guess I had a front row seat for over a decade my views might be a little different than those that know little about him. We have a super progressive mayor for the last 6 years and I can tell you that this city was absolutely better under Bloomberg than De Blasio, imo.

He's a smart guy, he knows what he is doing. At some juncture, he knows he is going to have to get out there and speak, and I am sure he will. 

Don't presume to know what me or my motivations are. Yours is a supremely dooshy and condescending post. 

I'm totally on board with some of Bloomberg's policies.  But if Trump has shown me anything,  it's the disaster that can result in overlooking fatal flaws because "I like his policies."

Bloomberg is literally in the midst of buying an election. Something even Trump isn't willing to do (if only because he's too greedy and doesn't have Bloomberg's resources). He's showing a blueprint for what one incredibly wealthy and smart guy can do if he decides there is no limit to what he's willing to spend to do it. If he wins the nomination,  he'll be willing to wallow in the muck with Trump, which I also find disgusting. If he wins the presidency,  it's not like hes going to stop buying things if expense is not a concern. A guy like this could literally buy bipartisan support. It's not like any of the members of Congress are going to stop him. They'll line up with their hands out.

These things are non-starters for me. I won't compromise what I feel is right just because I can't stand Trump.
If you noticed lately, Bernie's tune on millionaires has shifted a little (now that he is one) and has taken a focus on billionaires instead... I've noticed. I see some hypocrisy there, and I consider that a huge fatal flaw, and that is before I even dive into his policies. We're all human, you'll find flaws in all. 

He isn't buying an election, he is buying his way into consideration, he'll need to win the election. I honestly feel there is a part of him running bc Trump is so awful and someone needs to do something about it. He looks himself in the mirror, thinks to himself that someone has to stop this #######, and I have the means so it will be me. He sat back in 2016 bc he thought Hillary was going to win... This time around, he waited it out, wanted to see if anyone would actually be a formidable foe for Trump, and when he concluded they weren't, then he officially began his campaign. 

Wallow in the muck with Trump? What do you mean, battle the guy? Well of course he'll have to, how is that disgusting? The point of the election is to win, and since Trump is defending the WH, he needs to beat him... I don't think Trump just packs up his bags and leaves on his own. 

IDK about buying bipartisan support, but your thought process behind that is disheartening to me. Things should have bipartisan support, we should come to agreements about what is best, and if it is best, we should all agree. Are those on the outer fringes of the left and right so far from the middle that actually agreeing on things is bad? There is room in the middle, and usually it makes sense here because this is the rational place to be.

It's true, and it's likely why he's running as "Mike."  I remember when Dannel Malloy was running for governor of CT and had that Jewish first name he insisted on being "Dan." Just plain old "Dan." After the election, it was back to Dannel, but that's besides the point. It's real and it exists for sure. 
I'd put the % of the population who associates the name Michael with Jew at well less than 1.

I'd put the % of the population who associates the name Michael with Jew at well less than 1.
Mike as the emphasis instead of Bloomberg. Dannel was just an example of the old-timey racism and the fear of it rearing its ugly head.

It was not about shortening Mike from Michael. 

eta* I can see why you would have been confused, though. 

Bloomberg is literally in the midst of buying an election.
I think you mean figuratively? Elections aren't literally for sale. The most a candidate can do is spend money trying to influence people through advertising. (Is Coca-Cola literally buying customers, or is it the other way around?) In presidential elections, I think it's generally agreed that earned media has a larger impact than even Bloombergian levels of paid media.

He isn't buying an election, he is buying his way into consideration, he'll need to win the election.

I think you mean figuratively? Elections aren't literally for sale. The most a candidate can do is spend money trying to influence people through advertising. (Is Coca-Cola literally buying customers, or is it the other way around?) In presidential elections, I think it's generally agreed that earned media has a larger impact than even Bloombergian levels of paid media.
This is what I was alluding to here as well. I keep hearing these buy the election comments, that's impossible. He can't write a check for $14B and say I'm POTUS. 

He isn't buying an election, he is buying his way into consideration, he'll need to win the election. I honestly feel there is a part of him running bc Trump is so awful and someone needs to do something about it. He looks himself in the mirror, thinks to himself that someone has to stop this #######, and I have the means so it will be me. He sat back in 2016 bc he thought Hillary was going to win... This time around, he waited it out, wanted to see if anyone would actually be a formidable foe for Trump, and when he concluded they weren't, then he officially began his campaign. 

That's my point, though. Despite being late to the campaign,  he can just throw cash around barge in. I have a problem with that.

Wallow in the muck with Trump? What do you mean, battle the guy? Well of course he'll have to, how is that disgusting? The point of the election is to win, and since Trump is defending the WH, he needs to beat him... I don't think Trump just packs up his bags and leaves on his own. 

It denigrates the office of the president,  which has been nearly hopelessly soiled over the last few decades anyway. I don't want my President ready and willing to throw down in a verbal and social media street fight with a guy who has no principles. I want more. I want decorum. I want an adult.

IDK about buying bipartisan support, but your thought process behind that is disheartening to me. Things should have bipartisan support, we should come to agreements about what is best, and if it is best, we should all agree.

Agreed. But we're over that hill. Those days ended in 2011 with Obama's super majority.  They ain't coming back.

Are those on the outer fringes of the left and right so far from the middle that actually agreeing on things is bad? There is room in the middle, and usually it makes sense here because this is the rational place to be.

I'm in the left lane of the middle, but still pretty centrist overall. Most of my more extreme liberal opinions are cancelled out by some of my staunchly conservative opinions. And most of us across the spectrum really do agree on most outcomes. It's the path to those outcomes that we disagree on.

No issues with this. Bloomberg giving a ton of his wealth away.

Also enjoy that the Trump knows it and will drive the tubby guys nuts.
This is an interesting mentality too.  Bloomberg can get in Trump’s head and hurt his feelings. He can make trump feel bad!  

Who cares?  I can’t imagine something I care less about than whether the opposing candidate can effectively insult Trump.  Especially by wealth-shaming him. 

This is what I was alluding to here as well. I keep hearing these buy the election comments, that's impossible. He can't write a check for $14B and say I'm POTUS. 
Okay, that's fair, I should have said literally in the process of trying to buy the presidency. It's an oversimplification, but not incorrect,  IMO.

That's my point, though. Despite being late to the campaign,  he can just throw cash around barge in. I have a problem with that.
He waited to see if Trump had a formidable foe; it isn't like he woke up one day and said okay, start running the ads, I'm sure this was very calculated on his part. I'm a 180 away from you on this. He threw his hat in the ring after analyzing the likely outcomes of the 2020 election. I'd also assume his research was exceptional. He saw the likely outcome of Trump defending and then decided he had to step in and stop him. 

In terms of stepping into the ring with Trump, whoever gets the nomination is going to have to do that... There really isn't another option.

He has a savior complex. Only he can step in. He is the only option. Only his view of who can beat Trump is valid. In the mean time, he takes away votes from other moderates, increasing the chance of nominating a progressive, which is not what he wants. And,yes, he's buying awareness, not votes. But given that other candidates can't afford that,it is still an unfair advantage. But,  yes, it is legal.

This is an interesting mentality too.  Bloomberg can get in Trump’s head and hurt his feelings. He can make trump feel bad!  

Who cares?  I can’t imagine something I care less about than whether the opposing candidate can effectively insult Trump.  Especially by wealth-shaming him. 
Wouldn’t be a main reason I would vote for Bloomberg but it’s a nice ancillary benefit and effective in what we have going right now in picking a POTUS. It’s fun watching the blowhard lose it.

When Bernie goes off on Trump every speech about how he’s a corrupt liar Donald enjoys it and uses it as material.

When Bloomberg does it Trump knows, and we know, that the guy has what Trump wants and couldn’t get.

Wouldn’t be a main reason I would vote for Bloomberg but it’s a nice ancillary benefit and effective in what we have going right now in picking a POTUS. It’s fun watching the blowhard lose it.

When Bernie goes off on Trump every speech about how he’s a corrupt liar Donald enjoys it and uses it as material.

When Bloomberg does it Trump knows, and we know, that the guy has what Trump wants and couldn’t get.
Yeah, what the left craves is a REAL billionaire, not a wanna-be like Trump.  Just put it on repeat in the Rust Belt, the extraordinarily rich NYer that ignored the flyover states because they were a waste of time to him, this is the winning message dreams are made out of.  

He has a savior complex. Only he can step in. He is the only option. Only his view of who can beat Trump is valid. In the mean time, he takes away votes from other moderates, increasing the chance of nominating a progressive, which is not what he wants. And,yes, he's buying awareness, not votes. But given that other candidates can't afford that,it is still an unfair advantage. But,  yes, it is legal.
I agree he has a savior complex, but I actually think it is a good thing. People are pretty stupid as a whole and need saving. I generally believe he does have a good moral compass and wants what is best for humanity.

What other moderate really has a chance at this juncture? I don't think any progressive has a real shot in the general, so Mike is stepping in to save the day. This was kind of my hope dating back to 2018, so I'm pretty happy about Mike saving the day. 

He waited to see if Trump had a formidable foe; it isn't like he woke up one day and said okay, start running the ads, I'm sure this was very calculated on his part. I'm a 180 away from you on this. He threw his hat in the ring after analyzing the likely outcomes of the 2020 election. I'd also assume his research was exceptional. He saw the likely outcome of Trump defending and then decided he had to step in and stop him. 

In terms of stepping into the ring with Trump, whoever gets the nomination is going to have to do that... There really isn't another option.
I promise you progressives- and minorities by the time the GOP is done putting his past statements/positions on blast- will absolutely not turn out for this guy.  It's not going to happen.  He will lose to Trump 

Here's where I don't think this view really holds up.  Bloomberg and his money are not the same thing.  By far the greatest asset Bloomberg is bringing to this race is his enormous wealth.  But that wealth could be deployed to help any candidate.  Instead of Bloomberg spending a billion dollars to make himself President, he could spend a billion dollars to make someone else President.  Had he spent that billion dollars in 2016 and 2018, we probably could have had Hillary as President and a Democratic Senate.  Yes, he's made large investments in the candidacies of others (including numerous Republicans) but nothing anywhere near the scale he's operating at now.  From my perspective, Bloomberg is motivated almost entirely by personal ambition, not out of some altruistic desire to have Trump defeated.

He has a savior complex. Only he can step in.
He has pledged far more help to the eventual nominee, even if it's not him, than any other candidate has. Is that bad because helping is a form of saving?

I'm not a Christian, but it's not because I oppose salvation as a general matter.

Yeah, what the left craves is a REAL billionaire, not a wanna-be like Trump.  Just put it on repeat in the Rust Belt, the extraordinarily rich NYer that ignored the flyover states because they were a waste of time to him, this is the winning message dreams are made out of.  
We’ll see how it plays out. We have Bernie carrying the far left vote versus whoever comes out of Klobacher/Pete/Biden/Bloomberg.

Personally think when someone says that all private health insurance will be gone in a decade that’s pretty much the ballgame and you can hand the courts over to the Republicans and deal with Trump for 4 more years. I could be wrong but it’s a large bet we are placing there.

Hopefully Bernie Bro’s can grow up and not have a fit this time around if their guy loses.  

Here's where I don't think this view really holds up.  Bloomberg and his money are not the same thing.  By far the greatest asset Bloomberg is bringing to this race is his enormous wealth.  But that wealth could be deployed to help any candidate.  Instead of Bloomberg spending a billion dollars to make himself President, he could spend a billion dollars to make someone else President.  Had he spent that billion dollars in 2016 and 2018, we probably could have had Hillary as President and a Democratic Senate.  Yes, he's made large investments in the candidacies of others (including numerous Republicans) but nothing anywhere near the scale he's operating at now.  From my perspective, Bloomberg is motivated almost entirely by personal ambition, not out of some altruistic desire to have Trump defeated.
He was the mayor of this little town known as New York for 12 years... I mean, it isn't South Bend, Indiana, but still, a fairly important city in this country. 

I promise you progressives- and minorities by the time the GOP is done putting his past statements/positions on blast- will absolutely not turn out for this guy.  It's not going to happen.  He will lose to Trump 
Then we can wager should it come to it. Minorities are going to support Mike, laugh now, wager with me later. 

He had pledged far more help to the eventual nominee, even if it's not him, than any other candidate has. Or is that bad because helping is a type of saving?
You can accuse me of being cynical, but in my view Bloomberg's pledge to help the eventual nominee was yet another way to rehabilitate his image among Democratic voters by writing a big check.

And yes, in terms of actual dollars, Bloomberg has pledged to help more than anyone else ever possibly could.  But none of that comes as a personal sacrifice to Bloomberg.  There's nothing that Bloomberg is foregoing because he decided to spend money on the Democratic nominee.  He's in his 70s and has already pledged most of his fortune to charity when he dies.  Money at this point is meaningless to him.  Many of the other candidates have devoted their entire lives to fighting to help others, I don't think Bloomberg should be held up as a hero.

He has pledged far more help to the eventual nominee, even if it's not him, than any other candidate has. Or is that bad because helping is a type of saving?

I'm not a Christian, but it's not because I oppose salvation as a general matter.
Would have preferred he not run and help them now. 

I agree he has a savior complex, but I actually think it is a good thing. People are pretty stupid as a whole and need saving. I generally believe he does have a good moral compass and wants what is best for humanity.

What other moderate really has a chance at this juncture? I don't think any progressive has a real shot in the general, so Mike is stepping in to save the day. This was kind of my hope dating back to 2018, so I'm pretty happy about Mike saving the day. 
He may want what's best, but that doesn't mean he is what's best. Klobuchar, Buttigieg,maybe others would imo be better and he's hurt their chances by further fracturing the field. That is the opposite of saving the day. If he's your preferred candidate, you obviously would see it differently..

With the tail wind Trump has, the advantages of the incumbency and the disappointing turnouts at Iowa and NH I'm not sure anyone currently in the field can.

Users who are viewing this thread