What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloomberg 2020 (2 Viewers)

Just a couple of weeks ago, reporting was that Bloomberg would only enter if Biden drops out. 
If he wants to continue to have the option, he MUST file in Alabama TODAY.
I don't know that we can read much more into it at this point.
Tthe reaction he gets on this could inform his decision,

Really hoping he gets in the race, Biden fading, and Warren and Pete are just second team players vs Trump.
Pete would take down Trump pretty handily.  He is better than him in every possible way.  There is nothing Trump can really attack him on...though, that won't stop him from trying.

Not on the train but I don’t dislike him. His number one positive is he’s competent, self made, very decent. He’s the opposite of Donald Trump in every way. 
Another candidate that is too old , will be 78 in 2020. His biggest negative after the age for me was that he was afraid to run against Joe Biden . Didn’t have the gumption 

This is silly hyperbole, no one candidate is taking down the other “pretty handily”. It just isn’t going to happen. 
Well more my opinion...and I think in any debate on merit and ideas Pete would do so.

The election...I think Pete would beat Trump handily in the popular vote...but yes, demographics make sure the EC would be closer.

Where are all the people here who have been yearning for a Bloomberg candidacy?  Not one post today?  This thread almost has less enthusiasm than the Joe Biden campaign thread.  I guess I just expected more for some reason.

Where are all the people here who have been yearning for a Bloomberg candidacy?  Not one post today?  This thread almost has less enthusiasm than the Joe Biden campaign thread.  I guess I just expected more for some reason.
Why would you expect more?  He is not very popular nationally, and even less popular on this board.

Another candidate that is too old , will be 78 in 2020. His biggest negative after the age for me was that he was afraid to run against Joe Biden . Didn’t have the gumption 
So you'll count as a negative against all Republicans in 2024 that they were afraid to run against Trump in 2020 and didn't have the gumption? 

So you'll count as a negative against all Republicans in 2024 that they were afraid to run against Trump in 2020 and didn't have the gumption? 
No, c'mon now.  For better or worse, Trump is the incumbent - who rarely get a legitimate primary challenge.

That is not the same as someone sitting out an open primary - unless the front runner drops out.

Well he has filed paperwork to be on both the Arkansas and bamba primarily so it is greater then 10 percent 
Disagree, though maybe it is semantics. Research or prep work like filing, making calls, etc is not declaring. 

"Michael Bloomberg, the billionaire media mogul and former New York City mayor, added his name to the Democratic primary ballot in Arkansas on Tuesday as he continued to publicly toy with running for president.

Bloomberg has not officially said whether he will run in the 2020 race, but has acknowledged he is considering a bid and qualified on Friday for the Alabama ballot. Each U.S. state conducts separate qualifying processes.

If he were to run, Bloomberg would try to position himself as a moderate with a track record of success who could challenge Republican President Donald Trump’s business experience. But with a crowded field of Democrats already vying for the nomination, it could be difficult to break in.

While it is not required that a candidate appear in person, Bloomberg traveled to Little Rock, capital of Arkansas, to officially add his name to the state’s ballot, according to a Twitter post from the Arkansas Democratic Party." (CNBC)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reuters/Ipsos poll gives Bloomberg 3% support among Democrats

his presence may draw more support away from former Vice President Joe Biden than others

The result puts the billionaire media mogul well behind Biden and U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont (19% each), U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts (13%) and Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana (6%). U.S. Senator Kamala Harris of California also had 3% support in the poll.

Bloomberg, 77, who has submitted his name for Democratic primaries in Alabama and Arkansas, would join a field with nearly 20 Democratic contenders seeking to take on Republican President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.

The poll did not include former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, who announced on Thursday that he also would compete for the nomination.
So far seems to be much ado about nothing

They also need 200k donors for December.Cut off for both is December 12.

Also, the polling threshold is only 4%  (6% to qualify via early state polls only)

Bloomberg interview in Arkansas about why he'd enter and filing to leave options open.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1194354877872451585

Interesting take by Jeremy Siegel today that Bloomberg would enter not with the expectation of winning,  but amass some delegates to influence a contested convention.
Really not sure where he is going to get delegates.  I am not well versed on each state's requirements, but I thought most (all?) had minimum threshold requirements to even get proportional delegates.  I can't see him getting more than 10% in any state - unless maybe he just sticks it out to the very end when others have dropped out.

I don't know how it works, either, but it fits my impression of Bloomberg feeling like he knows what's best for others. And, if that is the motivation, I would raise my prediction of 10% chance of running, since siphoning votes might be the goal.

The attacks against Bloomberg by Sanders, Warren, Harris, etc. stink of an anti-wealth populism. I find them despicable. If you don't like Bloomberg's ideas, argue against them.

The attacks against Bloomberg by Sanders, Warren, Harris, etc. stink of an anti-wealth populism. I find them despicable. If you don't like Bloomberg's ideas, argue against them.
I find it despicable that Bloomberg’s strategy to win the nomination is to dwarf the spending of every other candidate.  That’s exactly the type of crap Democrats should be against.  If his ideas were so great he should have entered the race six months ago and put those ideas to the test like the other candidates have.

I find it despicable that Bloomberg’s strategy to win the nomination is to dwarf the spending of every other candidate.  That’s exactly the type of crap Democrats should be against.  If his ideas were so great he should have entered the race six months ago and put those ideas to the test like the other candidates have.
I agree with both of you.  I also thought I hated Bloomberg but then Trump happened.

I don’t think he would of entered the race if the other candidates weren’t so bad.  I mean Pete or Warren for president is scary to say the least.  Biden is fading fast.

Given the field, I was hoping he'd run and I'm anxious to hear his platform. Is he a lock for the next round of debates?

Anti-wealth?  I mean, shouldn't there be a more democratic process than a system where the guy with the biggest bankroll can just waltz right in?  I don't think it's cool for random billionaires to just casually buy their way into an election either.  Bloomberg is also shutting down a news agency to make it his campaign organ in the process.  Looks like he wasn't even interested in running, he just perceives a weak field and dips his toe in the water with $30 million in election ads.  No thanks.  

Anti-wealth?  I mean, shouldn't there be a more democratic process than a system where the guy with the biggest bankroll can just waltz right in?  I don't think it's cool for random billionaires to just casually buy their way into an election either.  Bloomberg is also shutting down a news agency to make it his campaign organ in the process.  Looks like he wasn't even interested in running, he just perceives a weak field and dips his toe in the water with $30 million in election ads.  No thanks.  
I don't like it either.  And is it all that different than what trump did?  Maybe a new norm here for both parties.  Buy and advertise your way to the nomination.

Going to be very challenging to come up with a legit rationale for changing something that has been part of the qualifying process since the 1st one and has potentially kept others out. 

Last I heard Bloomberg wasn't running,  then I get this expensive blitz of ads as soon as I turn on my tv today.

The campaign is making the argument that only six states count in the general election. Interested to see how voters in the other 44 react to that.
The six: WI, PA, FL, AZ, MI, NC

The campaign is making the argument that only six states count in the general election. Interested to see how voters in the other 44 react to that.
The six: WI, PA, FL, AZ, MI, NC
Sort of need those others to win enough delegates for the nomination first...  

Users who are viewing this thread