What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloomberg 2020 (1 Viewer)

I continue to be concerned that his entry will increase the chance of a Warren nomination because he will peel off votes from other moderates.
For anyone considering Bloomberg, would you share who your choice(s) would be without him in it?

This guy is the complete opposite of Trump. 

- good moral compass

- smart

- calm, cool, & collected

- self-made

- cares about climate change heavily

- gun control advocate

- cannot be bought

- savvy businessman

The only reason he waited so long is because he wanted to give any of the other candidates a chance to step up. As he (and anyone paying attention) has realized, they will all most likely get abused by Trump, he has no choice but to try and take matters into his own hands. It is shocking to me how obtuse the most staunch Trump critics are in reference to Bloomberg.

You can have the complete opposite of Trump or Trump, this is a pretty easy one to me, I'm just utterly perplexed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He's running heavy ads down here in Florida, and they're good.  They hit on a lot of points that moderate Dems would like (climate change, jobs, healthcare) without going too far left for moderate conservatives.  

It doesn't sound good, but I'd like to know the specific comment he's responding to, which is omitted in the video cut and paste.

eta- Okay, not defending this, and he was widely criticized when it happened in 2013, but the context is that he was saying it wasn't disproportional. The italicized part was left out of the video and I think it sounds less bad with that in. And that may be why it was omitted.

""They just keep saying, 'Oh it's a disproportionate percentage of a particular ethnic group. That may be, but it's not a disproportionate percentage of those who witnesses and victims describe as committing the murder," Bloomberg said. "In that case, incidentally, I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little. It’s exactly the reverse of what they say. I don’t know where they went to school but they certainly didn’t take a math course. Or a logic course."

So what's wrong with Bloomberg again? His numbers aren't so good but where does this come from? How many people really know anything about this guy other than his super duper rich.

He's old, don't really care about this if you are sharp. I definitely would like to see him get out there and speak - a lot.

His "stop and frisk" policy was questionable. Got that. He'll have to answer to this for sure. 

He's trying to buy his way in? Well he has to get people to vote for him so I don't see what he's buying other than ad space.

He's really good on a lot of issues. Environment, gun control, his record as mayor in NYC, his charitable work.

So what's wrong with Bloomberg again? His numbers aren't so good but where does this come from? How many people really know anything about this guy other than his super duper rich.

He's old, don't really care about this if you are sharp. I definitely would like to see him get out there and speak - a lot.

His "stop and frisk" policy was questionable. Got that. He'll have to answer to this for sure. 

He's trying to buy his way in? Well he has to get people to vote for him so I don't see what he's buying other than ad space.

He's really good on a lot of issues. Environment, gun control, his record as mayor in NYC, his charitable work.
Questionable??  You know how many people are in jail right now for marijuana possession under this rule?  I don't know the number, and it's just one example, but this should be getting a lot more scrutiny than "questionable."  Especially since he ONLY apologized because he knew he'd be running for office.  

Cheerleader for the Iraq War ✅

Supports neoconservative foreign policy agenda ✅

Supports apartheid in Israel ✅

Funded March for Our Lives through Everytown cutout, arguing civilians should be defenseless sitting ducks while cops/military are militarized up to their eyeballs ✅

Pro-cop, pro-drug war authoritarian; legalizing weed was "perhaps the stupidest thing we've ever done" ✅

Nanny state authoritarian; will ban our Big Gulps ✅

Centrist shtick will lose to Trump again ✅

NY billionaire not even bothering with flyover primary states ✅

Straightup buying the 2020 election ✅

Questionable??  You know how many people are in jail right now for marijuana possession under this rule?  I don't know the number, and it's just one example, but this should be getting a lot more scrutiny than "questionable."  Especially since he ONLY apologized because he knew he'd be running for office.  
He isn't getting any scrutiny because he isn't getting any attention he will have to answer this if he gains any traction.

There are no perfect candidates, every one of the Dems up there now has major weaknesses. 

Cheerleader for the Iraq War ✅

Supports neoconservative foreign policy agenda ✅

Supports apartheid in Israel ✅

Funded March for Our Lives through Everytown cutout, arguing civilians should be defenseless sitting ducks while cops/military are militarized up to their eyeballs ✅

Pro-cop, pro-drug war authoritarian; legalizing weed was "perhaps the stupidest thing we've ever done" ✅

Nanny state authoritarian; will ban our Big Gulps ✅

Centrist shtick will lose to Trump again ✅

NY billionaire not even bothering with flyover primary states ✅

Straightup buying the 2020 election ✅
Pretty good list. Weed, "nannystate" BS, no plan for flyover states are definite issues he has.

Few of those things seem like preferences of yours as opposed to actual weaknesses.

Pretty good list. Weed, "nannystate" BS, no plan for flyover states are definite issues he has.

Few of those things seem like preferences of yours as opposed to actual weaknesses.
That's fair, it's certainly just my personal view of him.  I don't understand why war isn't a bigger issue since it consumes so much of our resources (and certainly plays into the environmental concerns as well).  It's like voters just don't care anymore.  

That's fair, it's certainly just my personal view of him.  I don't understand why war isn't a bigger issue since it consumes so much of our resources (and certainly plays into the environmental concerns as well).  It's like voters just don't care anymore.  
I didn't know his stance on Iraq that isn't great. Not sure how much that specific issue drives voting at this point but I'd prefer him not to be some hawk either and this is a legit issue certainly.

I do think he could appeal to moderates but as you pointed out he has many issues that likely aren't firing up progressives and probably young people.

He definitely needs to talk more before he gets any serious consideration from me.

I am not sure he is really even trying to get the nomination. I expect he will mostly campaign against Trump in swing states. If I am right, thank you Mayor Bloomberg. 

I am not sure he is really even trying to get the nomination. I expect he will mostly campaign against Trump in swing states. If I am right, thank you Mayor Bloomberg. 
Are you saying that he'll continue to run for President after he loses the Democratic nomination?

Or are you saying that he'll campaign against Trump in the Democratic primary instead of using the same resources to support the Democratic nominee in the general?

FWIW, I have a longtime NYC friend who's very much on top of political stuff and he says Bloomberg is his clear #1 choice. He understand all the problems of him getting in late and such but he's all in for Bloomberg.

Stop-and-frisk and his views on marijuana are enough for me to conclude he is not ideological fit to lead the Democratic Party.  I’d vote for him over Trump, of course, but th’s well down on my list of primary candidates.

Are you saying that he'll continue to run for President after he loses the Democratic nomination?

Or are you saying that he'll campaign against Trump in the Democratic primary instead of using the same resources to support the Democratic nominee in the general?
I think he is going to buy a ton of ad time in swing states like Arizona. I expect these ads to focus on Trump. I don't think he believes this strategy will help him win, but by running anti-Trump ads he hopes it helps against whomever he ends up being the dem nominee.

I think he is going to buy a ton of ad time in swing states like Arizona. I expect these ads to focus on Trump. I don't think he believes this strategy will help him win, but by running anti-Trump ads he hopes it helps against whomever he ends up being the dem nominee.
I think it would be a lot more effective to buy anti-Trump ads leading up to the general election than it would during the primaries.

Don’t know a ton about him yet so I’m reserving judgement but I really don’t understand this “buying the election” criticism.  Every. Single. Candidate is trying to do this.  Hell Trump is panhandling daily via propaganda emails begging for money and then brags about how much they’ve raised.  (Not trying to turn this into an anti-trump thread, just using that as the obvious example).  

Maybe don't break the law?

I'm not arguing that you should go to jail or not for marijuana possession ( i don't think you should), but if it was the law it was the law. No one was forcing anyone to smoke pot. And they knew it was illegal.

I think it would be a lot more effective to buy anti-Trump ads leading up to the general election than it would during the primaries.
I think the concern is the swing states are not currently getting any attention. The nominee would be pushing there hopefully in the runup to the election. 

I could also just be reading way too much into it and he is just taking a bad strategy to win the nomination. 

https://twitter.com/marclamonthill/status/1200510117822767106

This man said that we should tax the poor more so that they don’t hurt themselves with the extra money. Wow.
I think you are mischaracterizing what he was talking about. They were discussing taxing things that are unhealthy - sugary drinks I'm guessing in particular (the video kind of starts in the middle of the conversation) - and if this is unfair to poorer people.

They're definitely talking sugary drinks tax and Hill definitely has an agenda.Bloomberg is  talking basic economics: raise prices so people will buy less and live longer. He's specifically addressing that being a regressive tax  is not an issue because reduced consumption is the goal.

Talk about taking something out of context, pretty obvious when someone has an agenda. Taxing unhealthy things is no different than the taxes levied on cigarettes. 

Nobody, literally nobody, loves coca cola more than me, but his point resonates with me. If anyone should be against his agenda on sugary drinks, it's me - but I know he is right, and one of my resolutions this year is to give up soda. 

Hill/Harris poll from this weekend has him edging up to 6%, which is 5th place.
He is going to appeal to a lot of moderate democrats. Good on climate, good on guns, proven business man, ran NY, not a complete creep.

I don’t understand why he isn’t doing more interviews. Perhaps he is timing this to roll out after the holidays. 

He doesn't have any plans yet. That's also why I think he doesn't want to do debates. If you look at his site, the closest thing to it is "Getting Stuff Done" and it is all past accomplishments. So, you can get a sense of what issues he cares about, but not what he plans to do about them as president.

You can encourage healthy behavior without punishing the poor for making decisions for themselves.  It really doesn't matter if he's talking about sugary drinks- he lays out his worldview in broad daylight right here:

"[W]ell taxes are regressive, but in this case yes they are, that's the good thing about them because the problem is in people that don't have a lot of money, and so higher taxes should have a bigger impact on their behavior and how they deal with themselves.  So I listen to people say 'oh we don't want to tax the poor..'- well we want the poor to live longer, so that they can get an education and enjoy life!  And that's why you do want to do exactly what a lot of people say you don't want to do.  The question is do you want to pander to those people, or do you want to get them to live longer?"
He is saying their economic hardship forces them to make more judicious decisions, basically that it's more acceptable to punish them for making decisions that Michael Bloomberg thinks are bad, because the net effect is more likely to result in behavior that Michael Bloomberg thinks is good.  The notion that this might be selfserving in any way to Michael Bloomberg himself is left unsaid. 

Letting a poor person buy a large soft drink, and NOT taxing them for it, is "pandering."  Regressive taxation against the poor isn't about lining the state govt's pockets, it's about wanting the poor to live longer!  The significance of sharing this before a conference hosted by the IMF- an organization well known for its kindness to the less fortunate, and not at all for its colonial extraction or crushing austerity measures- really can't be understated. 

It's really an amazing political theorem, that being taxed more helps them live longer and enjoy life more.  What other ways can we punish the poor so that they may live more in Bloomberg's image?  

Certainly sin taxes are nothing new and nothing to “wow” about.
I generally agree but Bloomberg's initiative to tax soda, and then when that failed to limit the sizes of sodas, was insanely unpopular at FBGs.  I feel like this needs to be discussed much more as a huge liability for Bloomberg in the general election.  It sounds stupid when there are so many other more important issues to discuss but I can just see Trump at his rallies drinking out of a Big Gulp and ranting about how "Little Michael" is going to take your soda away.

I generally agree but Bloomberg's initiative to tax soda, and then when that failed to limit the sizes of sodas, was insanely unpopular at FBGs.  I feel like this needs to be discussed much more as a huge liability for Bloomberg in the general election.  It sounds stupid when there are so many other more important issues to discuss but I can just see Trump at his rallies drinking out of a Big Gulp and ranting about how "Little Michael" is going to take your soda away.
You can pry my 2 liter Dr. Pepper from my cold, diabetic riddled hands.

Well, General, you have been looking for the downside of Bloomberg. ;)  
Seriously, as I've said in here before, it is part of a larger picture of Mike's savior complex. He knows what's best for you and is willing to change laws to do what he thinks is needed.

Bloomberg entering because field is weak and can`t beat Trump. Can he can win the nomination?

BLOOMBERG: I looked at our national government getting worse, the way we're behaving overseas and domestically, led by our president. I said back in 2016, "He is the wrong person for the job. He doesn't have the temperament or the ethics or the intellect to do the job." And I said, "We just can't have another four years of this." And then I watched all the candidates. And I just thought to myself, "Donald Trump will eat 'em up."

Users who are viewing this thread