What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Having trouble with ESPN for Fantasy Football (1 Viewer)

Stuart Ullman

Footballguy
First of all, the application is terrible. I tried to BENCH Alex Collins before the game and ended up BENCHING my other Quarterback. Now, I'm simply trying to view my team from a desktop and there's no login.

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/

Can somebody help me out here. Where am I supposed to login? Because the Mobile Application is absolutely useless.

Joe Edit. Ask for help if you're having trouble. Don't use this space to just flame companies. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Could have stopped the thread title after the first 3 words and it would've been succinctly accurate

I think the login is somewhere to the far left. I can't remember. I just remember I had a hard time even finding it last time I needed to
Well, there’s the problem then.  ESPN moving things to the far left is what’s cost them so many viewers in the first place!

(Sorry...let’s not get this one banished to the political forum too...)

One of my leagues moved to ESPN this year. It is ridiculous. It took me a frustrating long time to try to add a player because I was unable to add and drop a player at the same time, instead I had to drop a player from my team first, then go find the player I wanted to add and try to add him.  The site is just so poorly laid out I cant figure out why anyone would choose to have their leagues hosted there.

It doesn't send me trade rejections with comments from the other owner. Anyone know how to fix that?

Stuart Ullman said:
First of all, the application is terrible. I tried to BENCH Alex Collins before the game and ended up BENCHING my other Quarterback. Now, I'm simply trying to view my team from a desktop and there's no login.

Can somebody help me out here. Where am I supposed to login? Because the Mobile Application is absolutely useless.
The problem is you thought Alex Collins was a QB.

Yahoo isn't much better when using an iPad.  Constantly getting that "Amazon user...you've been selected to win a free iPad" thing again, making it completely useless, can't view anything on the site at all.

The app is a lot more glitchy this year.  I have been current with updates but the load times are much longer than any other  fantasy app and it shuts down randomly.  I use yahoo and CBS apps with nowhere near these issues.  

:lol:  I mean, ESPN FF is costing you, and the rest of the league, a total of $0.00 per season. Remember, they're owned by Disney, which has never met a way of nickel-and-diming folks they didn't like, and yet they've resisted the temptation to try to gin up additional revenue from the platform.

CBS is up to, what, $169? $179? per season, and they still have a less-polished app and more intrusive advertising than ESPN. MFL still has the audacity to charge a high double-digit annual sum for a user experience on every platform that is an unmitigated   :tfp:

And as between the widely-used free platforms YMMV, but I've had a far better commissioner experience and fewer technical issues with ESPN than either Yahoo or NFL.com.

I'm the furthest thing from an ESPN shill, but trashing their FF platform is a weird hill to die on IMO.

Yahoo isn't much better when using an iPad.  Constantly getting that "Amazon user...you've been selected to win a free iPad" thing again, making it completely useless, can't view anything on the site at all.
At least Yahoo (used to be?) free to use. I don't mind paying for a good service, and MFL is a good service..... but WTF is up with nagging advertisements at the top of the screen to join Fanball?????? MFL is NOT a cheap option to play FF. If these advertisements were only on their free draft-and-go leagues it would be fine. But as near as I can tell there is no way to turn these advertisements, only a way to "hide" them until they reappear the next week. Anyone know how to stop this madness or do you just have to stop using MyFantasyLeague to escape the advertising.... that you are paying to see?

At least Yahoo (used to be?) free to use. I don't mind paying for a good service, and MFL is a good service..... but WTF is up with nagging advertisements at the top of the screen to join Fanball?????? MFL is NOT a cheap option to play FF. If these advertisements were only on their free draft-and-go leagues it would be fine. But as near as I can tell there is no way to turn these advertisements, only a way to "hide" them until they reappear the next week. Anyone know how to stop this madness or do you just have to stop using MyFantasyLeague to escape the advertising.... that you are paying to see?
You can click it off the screen in one second.

MFL still has the audacity to charge a high double-digit annual sum for a user experience on every platform that is an unmitigated   :tfp:
I have been willing to pay in the past because it offers the most flexibility, I especially LOVE the survivor formats. But why do they insist on poking you in the eye each week as a punishment for paying for their service with advertisements at the top of the web page? It would still be bad at the bottom or side of the page... but the VERY TOP of your league home page? Absurd.

Do any of the free hosting services offer a survivor format? If a free service supports itself with advertising I'm willing to make the switch. Apparently I'm going to get advertising on the page whether I pay or not.

You can click it off the screen in one second.
Yes.

That is how advertising works. You can ignore it or click a pop up window on any site to disappear in a second as well. 

If you are PAYING for a service you shouldn't have to click to avoid re-occurring advertisements. Period.

I am PAYING to support the site. 

MFL still has the audacity to charge a high double-digit annual sum for a user experience on every platform that is an unmitigated   :tfp:
I agree that since ESPN is a free platform, you should expect to get what you pay for.

But I have to disagree that MFL is a train wreck.  There is a free - and extremely easy-to-use - app called MFL Platinum that can do almost everything that you can do on the site.  And as long as MFL continues to offer the early bird discount and the FBG subscriber discount, me and my league are all aboard.

:lol:  I mean, ESPN FF is costing you, and the rest of the league, a total of $0.00 per season. Remember, they're owned by Disney, which has never met a way of nickel-and-diming folks they didn't like, and yet they've resisted the temptation to try to gin up additional revenue from the platform.

CBS is up to, what, $169? $179? per season, and they still have a less-polished app and more intrusive advertising than ESPN. MFL still has the audacity to charge a high double-digit annual sum for a user experience on every platform that is an unmitigated   :tfp:

And as between the widely-used free platforms YMMV, but I've had a far better commissioner experience and fewer technical issues with ESPN than either Yahoo or NFL.com.

I'm the furthest thing from an ESPN shill, but trashing their FF platform is a weird hill to die on IMO.
Agree my league uses it for our keeper league because Yahoo at the time didn't have some features we needed for our league. Plus the sign up for the league was free. We wanted it to be a free fun league (However you'd think it was a $200per entry fee with all the drama we have). 

I actually really like CBS. We have used them for our main league for 10 years now. We have had our issues but all in all I like it better than espn. 

I actually really like CBS. We have used them for our main league for 10 years now. We have had our issues but all in all I like it better than espn. 
My league would probably switch if it could but for us to switch from ESPN to Yahoo now doesn't make sense. Everyone seems to like ESPN and for half the league only reason they signed up was if it was ESPN. Plus my Commissioner has a full time job plus kids ranging from 2-6 so he does not have the time needed or work availability to make those switches. It's not like he wouldn't let anyone else do it but our league does stuff as a league and plus no one has complained about ESPN part for a good few yrs now. 

Tanner9919 said:
we use MFL , it's like 1997 internet Netscape Browser bad. it should get the state issued 'classic car' plates that say 'historic' on them.
Exactly. It has all the features and functionality we need so no real complaints. But when I log into the site, I feel like I’m jumping in Doc Brown’s DeLorean and going back to internet 2003. 

I have been willing to pay in the past because it offers the most flexibility, I especially LOVE the survivor formats. But why do they insist on poking you in the eye each week as a punishment for paying for their service with advertisements at the top of the web page? It would still be bad at the bottom or side of the page... but the VERY TOP of your league home page? Absurd.

Do any of the free hosting services offer a survivor format? 
Yahoo

Stuart Ullman said:

Nucker101, Stuart Ullman, DJackson10 and 3 others like this

;)

Nucker101, Stuart Ullman, DJackson10 and 3 others like this

;)
Oh, I don't care. It's the internet bro, we're all here for fun.

I am most talented when I act like a clueless foil in situations like this. I'm self-aware.

Really, those 6 likes are mine. I tossed him a layup and he jammed it in. Nobody cares about my ESPN troubles.

I did something stupid on an app and decided to start a wacky thread about it. Many people enjoyed his response, which is derivative of the tone I set in the OP.

I don't like breaking the 4th wall like this, but I don't want to perpetuate a narrative where I'm some big noob.

I'm not here to play that character. I'm here for temporary bouts of amusing. I want you to read this thread and think, "wow, what a dolt!".

I'm a good sport and a great guy to have to drive a narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite was the 'surprise' that commissioner access had been limited during the draft and they took away the ability for a commish to draft for a team. This year we had a guy that had an family emergency and couldn't draft . No problem,  crap happens. I told him to leave me a list and a friend of ours can draft for him and I'd put in the picks. After wasting an hour during the draft trying to figure out how to make picks for him, we called customer service.  We were told they took that function away this year. 

Long story short, we had to change to an offline draft and I had to spend an extra hour putting in the rosters.

Until this season we used MFL and ESPN.  Decided to dump ESPN because they are a ####### nightmare.  Switched to Yahoo for those 2 leagues.

The ESPN downfall continues.

My favorite was the 'surprise' that commissioner access had been limited during the draft and they took away the ability for a commish to draft for a team. This year we had a guy that had an family emergency and couldn't draft . No problem,  crap happens. I told him to leave me a list and a friend of ours can draft for him and I'd put in the picks. After wasting an hour during the draft trying to figure out how to make picks for him, we called customer service.  We were told they took that function away this year. 

Long story short, we had to change to an offline draft and I had to spend an extra hour putting in the rosters.
We had this issue. One of our friends forgot his ESPN password. He also forgot his email password (he's a bit slow). So our commish thought, ok I can just draft for you. Nope. Ended up helping our friend make a new email and a new ESPN account, reassign the team to that email and then we could draft. This took about an hour while we only got to pick #4.

Until this season we used MFL and ESPN.  Decided to dump ESPN because they are a ####### nightmare.  Switched to Yahoo for those 2 leagues.

The ESPN downfall continues.
We actually switched from Yahoo to ESPN because Yahoo only allowed 3 draft pauses by the commish. We had a guy that lost connection one year and it kept drafting people's keepers (had to do keepers manually because they were round specific). ESPN is about the same. Yahoo has better stat display though. 

12 years ago, ESPN applied a stat change to a player 4 weeks after the games were in the books.

Seemingly innocent, a tackle (2 points) was changed to an ATK (1 point)  in a game I’d won by .7

My win turned to a loss, and i missed the playoffs by 1 week. 

I have never clicked on an ESPN link since. And likely never will. 

12 years ago, ESPN applied a stat change to a player 4 weeks after the games were in the books.

Seemingly innocent, a tackle (2 points) was changed to an ATK (1 point)  in a game I’d won by .7

My win turned to a loss, and i missed the playoffs by 1 week. 

I have never clicked on an ESPN link since. And likely never will. 
NFL makes the stat corrections not ESPN.

ESPN has its limitations and frustrations which i can attest to as a longtime LM for two ESPN leagues. but it gets most things right.,,, plus you can have GIF team logos... so that alone is worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread