What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your go-to wing sauce? (1 Viewer)

jerk

thai peanut

hoisin

dry rubs

edit:  i'll deep fry, grill, and sometimes bake em

Last edited by a moderator:
standard, but garlic parm/hot is creeping.

@Hot Sauce Guy
Any great hot sauce can be made into a wing sauce.

for the classic profile with complex flavor & solid heat I love DEFCON brand. 

John The Creator is insane, and a great guy, and his Cluckwork Orange is absolutely spectacular. 

At competitors he frequently sweeps 1st, 2nd & 3rd in Wing Sauce category. 

Highly recommend DEFCON. I get nothing out of that but the satisfaction of turning y’all on to some killer wing sauces. 

John The Creator is insane, and a great guy, and his Cluckwork Orange is absolutely spectacular. 

Highly recommend DEFCON. I get nothing out of that but the satisfaction of turning y’all on to some killer wing sauces. 
What a great name!  :lmao:

This bar I used to work out made a mango habanero sauce that was unbelievably good.  Literally my mouth started watering as I was typing that. But the cook who made it quit and basically disappeared and no one else had the recipe.  I would literally kill to know how to make that.

When I'm cooking wings for a crowd, which I'll be doing again on Sunday, the best recipe I've found is a very simple one using Frank's Red Hot Sauce (not one of the variations, but original Frank's).  Frank's original is a mild, tangy sauce.  For 40 wings, I'll use about a half a large bottle of Franks and a half stick of butter. I add a healthy squirt of sriracha when my wife's not looking.  Coat the wings on the grill and they don't need any dipping sauce, although I typically serve with some blue cheese and ranch for dipping for those who want it.

When I'm cooking wings for a crowd, which I'll be doing again on Sunday, the best recipe I've found is a very simple one using Frank's Red Hot Sauce (not one of the variations, but original Frank's).  Frank's original is a mild, tangy sauce.  For 40 wings, I'll use about a half a large bottle of Franks and a half stick of butter. I add a healthy squirt of sriracha when my wife's not looking.  Coat the wings on the grill and they don't need any dipping sauce, although I typically serve with some blue cheese and ranch for dipping for those who want it.
I do this but use my deep fryer. So effing good. 

So, if it's a place like BW3, I always get the Buffalo/Medium sauce range.  If I'm buying it from the store, I get Honey BBQ because neither my wife, my son nor my brother (if he comes over) can take anything remotely warm.  I bought Buffalo/Medium sauce and they all thought it was "atomic" level hot whereas I think the Medium is pretty wimpy.  I'll eat hotter every now and then but if it's too hot, I do get heartburn which I try to avoid at all costs as I get older.

I like to switch it up since I find most are damn delicious. 
Me too but I always try to have a combo of something pretty spicy and on the traditional  buffalo sauce side and parm garlic due to the flavor and to cool my mouth a bit.  If I go to BW's I get half my order with Wild Sauce and the other half Parm Garlic.

Franks Red Hot and butter

Splash of Worcestershire 

Tablespoon or 2 of brown sugar based rub

Shot of bourbon 

Tabasco to taste

Simmer for 30+ minutes

Add a tablespoon of honey right before use

Franks Red Hot and butter

Splash of Worcestershire 

Tablespoon or 2 of brown sugar based rub

Shot of bourbon 

Tabasco to taste

Simmer for 30+ minutes

Add a tablespoon of honey right before use
How much Frank’s?  You gave quantities of everything else and this looks pretty good to me so I would like to try it. 

I used to work at a wings joint in Austin (small chain) that had a killer chipotle ranch.  I don't even know why they used the word "ranch" because I hate ranch and it had no ranch-like qualities.   It was incredible.  I'd dip fries and even burgers into it.  

Since I can't get it here, I typically go with a combination (not mixed together, but eating them alternately) of garlic parmesan and hot garlic.

BWW: Hot or Wild extra wet or Spicy Garlic Extra Wet

Local Ghetto Joint: Suicide or Honey Hot

At Home: Extra Hot Garlic (franks base, butter, generous bit of fresh minced & powdered, and a good bit of black pepper.... PLUS touch of Chili powder, soy, and lemon powder for depth) 

Love garlicky with good spice or something like a mango habanero. For buffalo heat, usually take the second hottest on a wing place's menu. Bleu cheese for dipping.

Spicy garlic for me too. A local place I go to does a med spiced dry rub, deep fries them then onto the grill and then tossed in a smoky bar b que sauce and sprinkled with fresh ground pepper that are the bomb.

So, if it's a place like BW3, I always get the Buffalo/Medium sauce range.  If I'm buying it from the store, I get Honey BBQ because neither my wife, my son nor my brother (if he comes over) can take anything remotely warm.  I bought Buffalo/Medium sauce and they all thought it was "atomic" level hot whereas I think the Medium is pretty wimpy.  I'll eat hotter every now and then but if it's too hot, I do get heartburn which I try to avoid at all costs as I get older.
When I go to the BWW by me, I ask for garlic parm and wild mixed.  I have to explain ... no I don't want 1/2 one way and 1/2 the other way, I want all the wings in a blend of the 2 sauces.  It is sooooooo good.  Flavor and heat.

But, I've found that other BWW won't do this.  One coated them in garlic parm, then gave me wild to dip in.  It was ok, but not the same.

One of my great cooking frustrations is that two of my very favorite foods - wings and NM green chili - seem like an absolutely perfect combination, but i cant get them to go together right. I tried every kind - almost every town in NM has its own chilis (Hatch, Belen & Chimayo the most famous) which take on the characteristics of hundreds of yrs of growth in the same soil, like wine - marinades, sweet coating, hot coating, swat coating and the flavor just dont come out like it should.

i like asian style sauces because one i like them and two it makes me feel like i am a world traveler who has been far and wide and likes to enjoy the exotic taste of the orient on my wings take that to the bank bromigos 

One of my great cooking frustrations is that two of my very favorite foods - wings and NM green chili - seem like an absolutely perfect combination, but i cant get them to go together right. I tried every kind - almost every town in NM has its own chilis (Hatch, Belen & Chimayo the most famous) which take on the characteristics of hundreds of yrs of growth in the same soil, like wine - marinades, sweet coating, hot coating, swat coating and the flavor just dont come out like it should.
I present to you my "Green Monster" wing sauce.

Hatch Green Chiles - freshly roasted is best but canned if you have to.  The hotter ones if you can get them.

Honey

Garlic

Salt

Throw them all in a blender and play with the proportions.  Start with a 2:1 hatch to honey and 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic.  

It is best on smoked, then fried wings but delicious on almost anything.

I like mixing pure honey and habanero, need to heat the mixture a little so it combines

Last edited by a moderator:
1/2 cup chopped green onion/scallions

1/4 cup honey

4 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons Sriracha

2 tablespoons oyster sauce

2 tablespoons sesame oil

1 teaspoon ground ginger

2 or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

• Put the ingredients together and let it sit for 30 minutes or more to give it time to come together.  I put aside about 1/3 of it and then let the wings (about 1.5 - 2 pounds) marinate in the rest for a little while.
  • Cook some of it with the wings, and the 1/3 that was set aside, cook separately until it's reduced to a thick sauce and then put over the wings after they are cooked.

Hi Hot Sauce Guy.  

I like hot stuff.   Like, really hot stuff.  Like, I go into Thai restaurants and order stuff Thai hot, and then tell the server to tell the cook that I've insulted his family and to do his worst.  (sometimes they spit or poop in my dinner, but you gotta live on the edge, imo).  

I've never been to a wing place that had wings that were too hot.   This is this only sauce I've had that is too hot for me.  And, I still eat it.  just very sparingly. 

Whatcha got for me, for a rec for wing sauce? 

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Hi Hot Sauce Guy.  

I like hot stuff.   Like, really hot stuff.  Like, I go into Thai restaurants and order stuff Thai hot, and then tell the server to tell the cook that I've insulted his family and to do his worst.  (sometimes they spit or poop in my dinner, but you gotta live on the edge, imo).  

I've never been to a wing place that had wings that were too hot.   This is this only sauce I've had that is too hot for me.  And, I still eat it.  just very sparingly. 

Whatcha got for me, for a rec for wing sauce? 
Like I said, DEFCON - their hottest is fire. 

would you guys post a link to what you have?  How many can you make at a time - and how long does it take?  
This is the one I got. It was roughly the same price, around $80ish. It does a really good job with wings and fries and tater tots and stuff. My problem with it is that the actual cooking chamber is functionally kinda small. You can load a bunh of wings in there (say 15-20) but they won't cook as well because you need free air circulation for them to get crispy. If you only put 8 in, thats perfect spacing so you get a good, crispy coating. Takes about 20 minutes.

if I want to make a bunch of wings and don't want to deal with the mess/fat of deep frying, I use The Alton Brown method. Makes great crispy wings with juicy meat. A little shake in seasoned flour before going in the oven gives them a nice coating, too.

For you "Insane Fire Fiends" I present you

The Source

7.1 million Scoville units. This stuff is like tar. The jar is like nail polish, 1 ounce with a brush attached to the cap. At a local bar with free popcorn I'd dot a kernel, litterally like a pen dot and folks were tearing up.

Users who are viewing this thread