What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleepers who ya got? (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
The season has started and a sleeper or two may have started to emerge.

Last night we may had our first sighting with a rookie from Baltimore.

LB Kenny Young

• 5 solos
  • 3 assists
  • 1 tackle for loss
  • 1 QB hit
He was a 4th round selection and might be flying under radar on many screens.

Who else do ya got for a sleeper?

was he only playing so much because Mosely left the game early?

He only had 23 snaps in week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bud Dupree could be a factor in big play leagues. The coaches had him and Watt switch sides this off season and so far (very early) it looks like it might benefit them both.

Montae Nicholson. 100% of snaps, 5 tackles in a game that was pretty lopsided. Get a decent matchup that doesn't force the opposing offense to play from behind and there'll be more tackle opportunities. Mediocre LBs in front of him... still on waivers in many leagues, I'd wager. 

I grabbed Kenny Young before the week one kickoffs and held. I honestly didn’t know much about him, but being a third rounder for Balt made me feel like he would play sooner rather than later. I thought he looked really quick last night. Have not started him yet, but definitely holding. 

was he only playing so much because Mosely left the game early?

He only had 23 snaps in week 1.
Very likely you are correct about play time last night. But watching him play, I think he will be starting before years end. I’m holding, but I can move my roster around a bit to do that. We are full IDP but LB’ers are the bread and butter of the defense. Plus depth is a real bonus,I say if you can hold/stash you will probably be glad later. 

If you need a DT I think Ogunjobi looked good and played almost every snap, which is rare for a DT. I am not familiar with him prior to the Steelers game, but he hustled and looked good to me. 
Yeah I listed this guy in this week's IDP Dynasty Sleepers ...  I liked him more than the "more talented" Caleb Brantley coming out in the '17 draft.  I am actually starting him (because I have to... no Bosa) in a DL combined league this week.  I think he logs a handful of tackles against the Saints.

Ogun is going to have a coming out party this year.

Another Cleveland sleeper at the very-least for this week is LB Genard Avery.

Avery took 51% of the defensive snaps in the first game where he was only expected to be used in sub pressure packages.

Today LB Christian Kirksey was limited in practice with a shoulder injury and is listed as questionable, add LB James Burgess coming off a concussion so Avery could get a bump due to injury and he had a solid first game.

First game stats for LB Genard Avery.

• 3 solos
  • 1 assist
  • 2 QB hits
  • 1 sack
  • 1 forced fumble
Solid enough numbers and may have earned him more PT but add in the injury issues with starting LB Chris Kirksey and he 'could' be in-line for even more snaps this week.

Yeah I listed this guy in this week's IDP Dynasty Sleepers ...  I liked him more than the "more talented" Caleb Brantley coming out in the '17 draft.  I am actually starting him (because I have to... no Bosa) in a DL combined league this week.  I think he logs a handful of tackles against the Saints.
Sorry, I didn’t see that but good info. I have to start a DT and hope he just gets me a few tackles. :)

Oluokun is a sleeper with Jones out. I’m still trying to hold Matthew Thomas as well for later in the season if the Steelers move to get him more involved.

Flying Elvis said:
I added him as a TS stash when someone here started talking him up a bit. The article below makes me think this kid is likely to will himself into a starting role.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/genard_avery_cleveland_browns.amp
I kept reading positive reports about Avery throughout training camp. And not just your typical camp puff pieces (usually try to read between the lines on those). The comments that grabbed my attention kept coming from his teammates. Especially his fellow defensive teammates. They were talking him up from the beginning of training camp.

He sounds like the real deal.

rookie from Baltimore.

LB Kenny Young
Young was already sharing snaps with Pat Unwuasor for one of the inside LB spots next to Mosley but now Mosley is out for an unknown amount of time so it looks like he's going be getting a lot more snaps than expecteed.

C.J. Mosley Injury Puts Spotlight on Rookie Kenny Young to Step Forward

...Losing C.J. Mosley to a knee bone bruise during Thursday’s 34-23 defeat to the Cincinnati Bengals created an adjustment for the entire Ravens defense. For Young, it also created an opportunity.

If you watched the game, it was difficult not to notice Young. He played 76 percent of the Ravens’ defensive snaps as Young and Patrick Onwuasor became the starting inside linebackers after Mosley left the game early.

Young finished with seven tackles, third most on the team behind safety Tony Jefferson (nine) and Onwuasor (eight). However, Young’s impact could not be measured solely with stats. He played with speed and anticipation and was a consistent presence around the ball, particularly in the second half when Baltimore held the Bengals to just six points.

The timetable for Mosley’s return is uncertain, and the three-time Pro Bowler will be difficult to replace. But it looks like the Ravens have an intriguing player in Young, one who embraces the challenge of rising to the occasion.

...There was an open competition during training camp and preseason between Young and Onwuasor for the starting spot next to Mosley. Young and Onwuasor shared snaps in Week 1, but Young had the bigger impact during the game, tying for the team lead in tackles and recording the first sack of his career.
Young looks like a legit sleeper.

Darius Leonard :wub:  

Deion Jones injury forced me to start him at D-Flex. I always start a LB there. Tackle heavy league. 

42 freakin points!  :pickle:

15 tackles & 3 ATK? Plus a sack / FF? 

Kid’s legit. Had a good 1st game, but this was dominance. 

Darius Leonard :wub:  

Deion Jones injury forced me to start him at D-Flex. I always start a LB there. Tackle heavy league. 

42 freakin points!  :pickle:

15 tackles & 3 ATK? Plus a sack / FF? 

Kid’s legit. Had a good 1st game, but this was dominance. 
 I haven't seen Leonard play and I was high on  him as a sleeper going into the season but one game doesn't vault him into the stratosphere quite yet.  Remember BJ Goodsen and his 18 tackles week 1 last  year....hahaha

I haven't seen Leonard play and I was high on  him as a sleeper going into the season but one game doesn't vault him into the stratosphere quite yet.  Remember BJ Goodsen and his 18 tackles week 1 last  year....hahaha
This is his second game. 

His first game he had 17 points for me with 8 tkl, 1 assist.

he was my main IDP sleeper in the off-season, all reports have been phenomenal through camp, he won the starting gig & he’s used on 98% of the snaps. 

The kid’s a playmaker with sodeline to sideline speed. 

Maybe this game is his high water mark for the season, but the talent is legit. 

I think Ogunjobi looked good and played almost every snap,
Larry Ogunjobi, folks.

BrownsFilmBreakdown‏ @BrownsFilmBDN

FollowFollow @BrownsFilmBDN

Larry Ogunjobi, folks. Play 1: bull rushed Max Unger (#60) into the backfield, disrupts RB flow and recovers for a tackle. Play 2: dominant club/rip to blow past the Unger for the sack. These 2 plays cause push back & missed FG. Game changing stuff. #BrownsFilmBDN

Larry Ogunjobi, folks.

Larry Ogunjobi, folks. Play 1: bull rushed Max Unger (#60) into the backfield, disrupts RB flow and recovers for a tackle. Play 2: dominant club/rip to blow past the Unger for the sack. These 2 plays cause push back & missed FG. Game changing stuff. #BrownsFilmBDN
And now the double teams begin.... :(

haha... pretty nice, though, since doubling him makes it tough to double Garrett. 

And now the double teams begin.... :(

haha... pretty nice, though, since doubling him makes it tough to double Garrett. 
EXACTLY but Garrett is the guy that everyone fears so Ogun benefits.

Check out the film.

https://twitter.com/BrownsFilmBDN/status/1041693066237759489

Saints used a Guard or TE on Myles Garrett, whenever they could. It's how you nullify him, but leave yourself @ risk against guys like Ogunjobi. You'll see the Guard peel after the DT drops & ear hole Garrett here. They game-planned him well. But that helps others. #BrownsFilmBDN

Ogunjobi is on both of my rosters without claim/cost b/c nobody else was interested after last week. I've had him on and off my rosters since last year based on the brief (very brief, really) discussions here. Looking like another brilliant call by the regulars here. Thanks!

The really scary part is I have one roster where I start Garrett, Schobert, Ward, and have Ogun (starting going forward) and Peppers. Time for a #BrownieMovementTM... lmao

Flying Elvis said:
Ogunjobi is on both of my rosters without claim/cost b/c nobody else was interested after last week. I've had him on and off my rosters since last year based on the brief (very brief, really) discussions here. Looking like another brilliant call by the regulars here. Thanks!

The really scary part is I have one roster where I start Garrett, Schobert, Ward, and have Ogun (starting going forward) and Peppers. Time for a #BrownieMovementTM... lmao
I picked him up before the season started and played him week 1. I wasn't expecting this production for W2 and started Dareus instead. W3 Ogun gets another shot at starting for me. He was killing the Saints o-line and Garrett will always warrant a double team. Opportunities will be there for him if his conditioning holds up.

Colts MLB Darius Leonard was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 2.

Leonard piled up 18 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, and a batted a pass in the upset win over the Redskins. The No. 36 overall pick back in April, Leonard has been an every-snap player and is Pro Football Focus' top-rated off-ball linebacker through two weeks. The Colts may have found a star.

Romeo Okwara started at RDE for Detroit in week 2.

He is still listed as the back up behind Kerry Hyder at lions.com. But Hyder played and played second fiddle to Okwara last week.

Romeo Okwara started at RDE for Detroit in week 2.

He is still listed as the back up behind Kerry Hyder at lions.com. But Hyder played and played second fiddle to Okwara last week.
MFL has him as a LB?? What the heck?

Also, he had zero stats in week two?

Okay, what the heck SF? Now we got Antone Exum (However you spell it) with like 9 tackles and a sack I think? Played every snap and started at SS. Is this going to be a weekly occurrence, they start a stranger?

In place no draft capital into the defensive back position and therefore basically stream them each week. This weeks possible streamers include;

Antone Exum and Doug Middleton 

If Tartt or Maye see the lineup this week I will dig a little deeper but these two look to be productive if the starters in head of them continue to miss time.

I'm picking up DE Stephen Weatherly (starter with Everson Griffen's mental health problems) and LB Anthony Walker (looks to be healthy now and starting MLB for Indy) wherever I can.  Previously snagged LB Fred Warner and S Damontae Kazee, and LB Vander Esch yesterday.  Vander Esch might be just a 2-4 week plug, but based on Sunday's game, his production could be outstanding while Lee is out.  And since bye weeks start this week, it's perfect timing for me.  Might even be trade bait for the Lee owner after a couple of weeks.

Waiting on IDPs is panning out nicely for me to this point.

One new name and one that is emerging:

• CAR DE Efe Obada
Efe Obada named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

...Activated on gameday for the first time in 2018 after becoming the first player from the NFL's International Pathway Program to make a 53-man roster, Obada had a massive day against the Cincinnati Bengals. After almost recording a strip sack of Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (before the initial ruling was reversed), Obada ended up finishing the day with an interception, a pass defended, and a critical sack in the fourth quarter. Obada's performance earned him a very well-deserved game ball, the first for a player that went from a homeless child refugee to a warehouse security guard to NFL player.
Amazing story( Efe Obada: overnight NFL star who was once a homeless refugee trafficked to London ) but the best thing is... 

He did all of that in only 19 snaps. Efe Obada wins NFC defensive player of week in first NFL game

...He had an interception, a sack, two quarterback hurries and a pass deflection in 19 snaps. He also had a sack-strip fumble taken away when replay turned it into an incomplete pass for Andy Dalton.

...Obada has quickly become more than a marketing gimmick.

...It’s an incredible story so far, and one that’s only beginning.
  • ARI S Tre Boston
Boston has been around but he's had an uptick of production recently and 'may' be flying under radar.

Cardinals Week Three Winners and Losers

Tre Boston

Boston was signed during the off-season to help bolster the secondary in the safety heavy scheme on defense. The veteran played his best game yet with the Cardinals on Sunday. Boston finished with seven tackles and an interception. He nearly had a second interception but tripped over receiver Allen Robinson. Boston managed to knock the pass down. The safety did receive a late hit penalty which kept a Chicago drive alive. All in all Boston earned his spot and showed the staff he can make plays.

Leonard in a walking boot. Unlikely to play this week. :(  

hopefully he’s ok. Fortunately I grabbed Burfict before waivers locked this week. 

Christian Kirskey is taking over for Schobert and Genard Avery is taking over for Kirskey on the outside.

So Avery will be seeing more snaps till  Schobert is back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Gribble‏Verified account @Andrew_Gribble 56m56 minutes ago

Schobert says Genard Avery is ready to take next step beyond situational pass rushing. Fifth-round rookie is set to have an expanded role as result of trickle down effect from Schobert’s injury.

EDIT: Update >>> 

Andrew Gribble‏Verified account @Andrew_Gribble 2m2 minutes ago

Jackson says Christian Kirksey will take over at MLB for Joe Schobert. Kirksey's previous responsibilities will be handled by a committee

Darius Leonard is back to beasting. 

He was pretty good the 1st week back from injury, but 12 tackles, 5 ATK, DFR - never mind DROY,  this kid is looking like DPOY.  Is it possible to win both? 

What a find for the Colts. 

What do we think of Webb in the Giants backfield with Apple being dealt?  Is he a guy who figures to get picked on quite a bit?

What do we think of Webb in the Giants backfield with Apple being dealt?  Is he a guy who figures to get picked on quite a bit?

The Giants also traded Snacks Harrison so I could see them getting run all over and being way behind where teams won't need to throw against them. 

• ARI S Tre Boston
Boston has been around but he's had an uptick of production recently and 'may' be flying under radar.
Another short-term sleeper to pick up is Cleveland CB/S Briean Boddy-Calhoun who racked up career high tackle numbers last week against the Bucs as a 'surprise' starter at FS as Damarius Randall took over for T.J. Carrie at CB opposite Denzel Ward.  Both rang up a ton of tackles but Randall 'probably' isn't available whereas BBC is probably available in most every league.  Look for another big game this week against the Steelers who will be targeting the depleted secondary much like the Bucs did (365  yards via the air from Jamies Winsrton).

Their 'might' be a short-term opportunity in the Cardinal defensive backfield with Tre Boston looking like he's gong to miss another game.  I don't know who will take over but if you are desperate then someone is going to pick up the slack with Boston out for another game Long term their is an opportunity If someone dropped Tre due to his injury  because he had been noted as center piece of the secondary before getting injured.  .

Tre Boston proving to be key piece in Arizona Cardinals secondary

... Peterson’s trade-me, don’t-trade-me distraction this week, however, has completely overshadowed the fact that the Cardinals could be without starting free safety Tre Boston for a second consecutive week as he continues to recover from sore ribs and a shoulder injury.

Boston, who was injured during an interception return Oct. 14 at Minnesota, has been just as important to the Cardinals’ defense this season as Peterson, the seven-time Pro Bowl selection, and defensive end Chandler Jones, the NFL’s reigning sacks leader. Boston is tied for the NFL lead in interceptions with three and he leads the Cardinals with seven passes defensed to go along with 43 tackles, which ranks fourth on the team.

With an off week looming next week and Boston still hurting and not yet being able to practice fully or hardly at all, for that matter, it’s looking very likely that he will be held out of Sunday’s home game against the 49ers.

...In the team’s three-safety, nickel-zone defense that coordinator Al Holcomb continues to employ far more frequently than the club’s regular 4-3 base defensive scheme, Boston has been one of the bright spots. He always seems to be around the ball and he’s disrupted more passing routes than anyone.

His absence was noticeably felt during the Cardinals’ 45-10 loss to the Broncos...

...As the starting free safety, Boston was in charge of calling out defensive alignments for the secondary.

...,” Wilks said when asked how much the Cardinals rely on Boston. “You saw that the other day with a busted play coming out of the post. So, we definitely need that kind of player out there, communicating with the defense, getting everybody aligned. He’s definitely missed, but you know what? It’s next man up.”

Antoine Bethea, Arizona’s other veteran safety, said the defense will be in good hands regardless of who starts alongside him.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN is reporting that Tramon Williams will be filling Dix's role at safety for GB - not Whitehead as most speculated. He wrote, "At defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's request, he will get the first chance to replace Clinton-Dix..." IGranted, the safety spot in GB hasn't been the pot of gold it was in years past, but those in a CB-required league could really get some value here. It also suggests that those hanging on to Josh Jones can let go. Bonus - GB plays the Patriots this weekend - #4 in points allowed to the safety position. If you're needy, he might be worth a shot.

Rob Demovsky of ESPN is reporting that Tramon Williams will be filling Dix's role at safety for GB - not Whitehead as most speculated. He wrote, "At defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's request, he will get the first chance to replace Clinton-Dix..." IGranted, the safety spot in GB hasn't been the pot of gold it was in years past, but those in a CB-required league could really get some value here. It also suggests that those hanging on to Josh Jones can let go. Bonus - GB plays the Patriots this weekend - #4 in points allowed to the safety position. If you're needy, he might be worth a shot.
great info...thanks!

to tack on a bit more

At defensive coordinator Mike Pettine's request, he will get the first chance to replace Clinton-Dix, who was traded to Washington for a fourth-round pick on Tuesday.

"It was just a quick call from the coach asking me what I think about the move," Williams said. "It really wasn't much of a conversation. I was willing to do anything for the team. I played this position before, so it won't be that big of a transition."

This is a rangy player who can run, has a very high football IQ, and he can find the football," Pettine said. "He plays with good vision and has a good sense when to break. Some guys can only play outside corner. ... He doesn't fall into that category. He's played in the slot; he's played outside. There's no reason to think he can't, at times, help us at safety."

Users who are viewing this thread