What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2: I'm SITTING David Johnson for ___________._ (1 Viewer)

Unless AZ fires McCoy this is a lost season. His dynasty value is bleak, too. The only way he’s saved in dynasty is if a new coordinator plus Rosen turn things around and his long term picture with a new QB looks better. Even then he’ll be 27 before the 2019 season begins. I tried to move him this offseason in the one dynasty where I have him because I was concerned about the new staff but this is even worse than I expected. All the owners in my league seemed similarly worried so I couldn’t move him. 

Yikes.  At least I didn’t start Thompson.  

This visching staff has no clue.  It’s kije getting an At-At walker for Christmas and not knowing how to play with it.  

I ended up having to play him because Fournette was out, not disappointed in the game total, but sad about his outlook. Their OC is terrible. 

This.  Hopefully they go with Rosen from now on, but you couldn't ask for a better game script for a RB and McCoy completely blew it.  How do these people keep getting hired?!
Yup.

Every year I say I need to pay more attention to the coaching changes and every year I just don't do it enough.

There will be no game planning out of this mess.  The only hope is that Rosen can loosen up the running lanes and the OL somehow comes together but I just don't see McCoy becoming inventive in his game planning or play calling. 

Fitz is banged up and looking near the end, while Kirk has promise but still raw.

Why DJ isn’t getting 6+ receptions a game is baffling. He’s a better receiver than most WRs across the league.

Rosen will 100% help DJ. Will it be enough to propel him into every week RB1 territory? No, not with McCoy calling plays. That guy ####### sucks.

But the mere fact that Rosen is willing to stand in the pocket and take hits makes him an infinitely better option than Bradford. Being willing to take hits is sort of a prerequisite to playing the game of football.

I think Rosen will be able to extend drives and get ARI into the RZ more often. There will be growing pains, especially on this team but at least he's not Bradford. I think the upgrade from Bradford to Rosen was immediately noticeable vs. CHI.

It still just blows my mind he wasn’t in the game in 3rd and 2 with the game on the like. What are these guys thinking?
It's surreal. I also like how ARI tried to salt the game away in the first half up 14-0 while giving Edmonds a full series to himself. The coaching is absolutely atrocious, did they really think they could get away with that without DJ vs. CHI's front?

To be fair to Edmonds, I think he's a very good COP back. I've generally really liked what I've seen from him. Too bad McCoy doesn't understand how to tailor his playbook to his personnel or they would be using more 2-back sets. It seems like a no-brainer to me given their lack of receiving talent - it seems like a no-brainer to literally everyone. 

It also boggles my mind that McCoy's playbook is somehow both too complex and completely devoid of creativity. How does he have a job? For real, I just don't understand it. I wouldn't even waste monopoly money on him.

SameSongNDance said:
Rosen will 100% help DJ. Will it be enough to propel him into every week RB1 territory? No, not with McCoy calling plays. That guy ####### sucks.
DJ absolutely smokes Trevathan on his TD reception.  And AZ doesn't try to get the ball to DJ in space for the rest of the game.  I was all excited after that play.....thought maybe the OC came to his senses......... :bag: ........then I realize that McCoy continues to suck.

DJ being out of the game on a critical 3rd down play is such a head scratcher.

I started Gio over him. Got me an extra 2.5. I'm still stunned I had to make that move. It looks like we have to depend on him getting receiving TDs. That's a big ask. I don't see him in my lineup anytime soon. Rushing offense is putrid.

DJ absolutely smokes Trevathan on his TD reception.  And AZ doesn't try to get the ball to DJ in space for the rest of the game.  I was all excited after that play.....thought maybe the OC came to his senses......... :bag: ........then I realize that McCoy continues to suck.

DJ being out of the game on a critical 3rd down play is such a head scratcher.
Both TDs were actually pretty nice plays.  It seemed like McCoy put in two extra plays and called it a week.  :shrug:  

The problem I see is there are no wrs and there oline stinks. I’m not sure a rookie qb changes much.
I don't think that's the problem. They could still give him screens, dump offs, etc. The problem is the play calling. That's done by the coaching staff. Until that changes or they see the error of their ways I'd be nervous if I owned Dj.

Just offered DJ/Lynch/Cooper for Keenan and Gurley 

guppy league, so who knows. 

Im worried about his season. If that gets turned down, which I expect to happen - I’ll go much lower I’m trying to sell.

You can’t be serious ?
Buck Allen actually has the trust of his coaches. And I know for a damn fact that they'll lean on him in the hurry up, his PPR points aren't going to be vultured by Chase Edmonds. BAL also takes more trips to the RZ, has a more potent passing attack to take attention away from the run game and a better OL. Their QB and playcaller are better too.

Of course I'm not serious but the truth is, starting Buck Allen over DJ isn't all that crazy.. which is the saddest fantasy related thing I've ever typed. 

I wlll.  Gave DJ/Parker for Hunt/Cooper

Dynasty ppr.
This is helpful. I’m wondering about deals like this in dynasty, basically a struggling aging RB for a struggling/underperforming young RB (at least that’s my read on the general possibilities). What was the calculation for you? Seems to me like DJ’s  dynasty value is really tricky right now. If there’s no recovery to his production in 2018 (and I’m not optimistic) then for 2019 he’s a 27 year old RB coming of two consecutive lost seasons. If Rosen does well and/or he gets a positive coaching change then his value may recover at least for folks who currently have him but that’s really up in the air.  I don’t know if that means hold for the long term or move him at some point this season in a deal like this (which I think was a good trade fwiw from a long term perspective). 

This is helpful. I’m wondering about deals like this in dynasty, basically a struggling aging RB for a struggling/underperforming young RB (at least that’s my read on the general possibilities). What was the calculation for you? Seems to me like DJ’s  dynasty value is really tricky right now. If there’s no recovery to his production in 2018 (and I’m not optimistic) then for 2019 he’s a 27 year old RB coming of two consecutive lost seasons. If Rosen does well and/or he gets a positive coaching change then his value may recover at least for folks who currently have him but that’s really up in the air.  I don’t know if that means hold for the long term or move him at some point this season in a deal like this (which I think was a good trade fwiw from a long term perspective). 
My thinking was that Hunt was also a buy low but on a VASTLY more powerful offense with zero competition for RB touches and that he would almost have to stumble in to TDs all year which he did week 3.  I think teams start reacting to Mahomes better which will then bring Hunt to more activity.  At the end of the day I had Hunt in almost the same tier as a NORMALLY producing DJ so now Hunt is an upgrade to a TERRIBLE SITUATION DJ and I was hoping Cooper would continue week 2 action and am willing to hope based on age an talent especially compared to Parker.  I wasn't planning on selling DJ low but felt like this was a no brainer.

Guys on my dynasty message board couldn't believe I was getting Hunt and Cooper for DJ and Parker which is how I felt too so I pulled the trigger.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Last year I picked ahayi in 1rd and well we all know how that worked out.   This year I picked DJ.  I think maybe from now on I’ll just trade out of the 1st RD?  

But seriously, mugging your first RD pick is one of the biggest team killers in fantasy.  Not BC your draft is all about round 1.  But BC when your 1st rd player isn’t injured but just SUCKS, you feel compelled to stick with your stud and ride it out until he breaks out.  It just means crappy points in your starting lineup while other lower pedigree options outscire them on your bench.  

Do you dare start a guy like Aaron jones over DJ?  Antonio Callaway?  Lockett? Godwin?   Allison?  Boyd?

ot sounds laughable but all of these guys minus jones have outscored DJ this far and you would have fared better starting them over him for the last 3 weeks.  

This is my scenario.  But I have lived and died to the time of 1-2 with DJ sucking wind for the first 3 weeks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we think he gets going today? Personally, I just can't trust the coaches. He'll be useless if they get down early,

Do we think he gets going today? Personally, I just can't trust the coaches. He'll be useless if they get down early,
He should be game-flow proof and used in much the same way as Kamara but the coaches are idiots. That said, i'm starting him today over Conner and praying.

I have no faith in his coaches. He is firmly benched until his usage changes.

If he goes off while my bench, I will be ecstatic that I can use him going forward.

Yes, I think between the coaching staff getting pressure to use DH more intelligently and the change at QB, DJ should get going today and move back toward the type of RB he should be for fantasy purposes.

Funny I'm doing the opposite...and also praying b/c PIT often forgets to run the ball too. Good luck to you sir.
My rationale is basically that Pitt have become a pass first team. Since week 1, Conner's stats have been padded by catches and a goalline TD that rescued an awful week 2.and late runs in the Tampa game. They seem to have almost forgotten about him since week 1. I basically am picking between DJ, Conner, Hyde and Miller. Hyde has been too solid and getting too much work to bench, DJ is just a hunch he gets going a bit more this week and the Ravens have been brutal against the run which stunts Conner. Wow, lot of waffle there!

My rationale is basically that Pitt have become a pass first team. Since week 1, Conner's stats have been padded by catches and a goalline TD that rescued an awful week 2.and late runs in the Tampa game. They seem to have almost forgotten about him since week 1. I basically am picking between DJ, Conner, Hyde and Miller. Hyde has been too solid and getting too much work to bench, DJ is just a hunch he gets going a bit more this week and the Ravens have been brutal against the run which stunts Conner. Wow, lot of waffle there!
The same could be said for DJ. His usage is slightly higher, yes, but his efficiency is terrible. They run him straight into the line. Hopefully that changes with Rosen and DEFs back off. Not betting on it this week.

Ravens are not as scary as they used to be. I'm not as concerned about the matchup...again, if PIT actually decides to lineup and run downhill like they did at the end of the TB game.

P.s. LOL I have Hyde too. No way he gets benched this week.

Users who are viewing this thread