What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back to Fantasy Football: What are folks actually doing with Josh Gordon? (1 Viewer)

Guy makes a great tying the game reception for a TD last week and the Browns are going to cut him over an injury?

Okay that 100% makes no sense at all.  What else did he do in the last 5 days?

There has to be something even more wrong with this guy than we already know.  Doubtful the Pats go after him, can't believe people think that's the #1 team they think he will go to.  In the event he does however, don't expect any production at all this year.  

Guy makes a great tying the game reception for a TD last week and the Browns are going to cut him over an injury?

Okay that 100% makes no sense at all.  What else did he do in the last 5 days?

There has to be something even more wrong with this guy than we already know.  Doubtful the Pats go after him, can't believe people think that's the #1 team they think he will go to.  In the event he does however, don't expect any production at all this year.  
He might be a HOF'er if the Browns could have put him in a cryogenic sleep each week and wake him on game day. 

Trying to trade him for Gurley
Aim for the moon, but my guess is no one would give a 2nd rd pick for him in a dynasty league.  I would think the days of getting anything of value for Gordon has come and gone, but if he's traded to SF or Dallas I'm sure there are still a few suckers out there.

Trying to trade him for Gurley
Irony is such a seventh-round device and you might have even suckered someone with it unless they're using fifth-found irony to your seventh. I don't know. I can't tell. Can't we all be friends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded him in the middle of all the rumors yesterday for Ronald jones and a future 4th round rookie pick in a dynasty league. I’ve picked up and traded Gordon off maybe 5 time she in his career already, but something about this situation feels different.
I couldn't wait 48 hours, could I?

I put him out on the trade bait list in the league where I own him. The question will be what is someone willing to offer. I traded for him while he was suspended a couple years ago for I think a 4th round pick. I'm growing tired of carrying him on my roster.

Saw there are videos out there of him catching balls from Brady...and talk that he could get reinstated to play this year.

What???????? How many chances has this guy had? I can't believe that he could be reinstated after all of the failed tests. He needs help. Does this have anything to do with it being the Patriots and the Commissioner wanting to be nice to Kraft? The Browns sure didn't get any quick reinstatement(s) (that i know of). I think it's wrong that the Patriots were even to offer him money when he was on the suspended list.

If this league is serious about addiction, then it needs to stop with these slaps on the wrist. 

"I can't believe that he could be reinstated after all of the failed tests."

It was never confirmed that he failed a test when he stepped away.  That is private information, not public. And I am pretty sure he did not fail a test, but felt he needed to be grounded or he would.  Who knows, maybe he and Tom are working on that now.  Josh may have a new sobriety sponsor. 

Don't be so quick to throw stones.  Gordon came into the league very young.  He is a terrific persistence story in actuality. 

grtwhtsk said:
Saw there are videos out there of him catching balls from Brady...and talk that he could get reinstated to play this year.

What???????? How many chances has this guy had? I can't believe that he could be reinstated after all of the failed tests. He needs help. Does this have anything to do with it being the Patriots and the Commissioner wanting to be nice to Kraft? The Browns sure didn't get any quick reinstatement(s) (that i know of). I think it's wrong that the Patriots were even to offer him money when he was on the suspended list. 

If this league is serious about addiction, then it needs to stop with these slaps on the wrist. 
There's so much wrong with this post I almost don't know where to start.

Failed tests already addressed above.

He needs help - and he's getting it.  He's actively getting it and participating in it by all indications.  Guys like him that don't end up wasting away in a gutter somewhere, not in the kind of physical condition it takes to participate in an NFL camp.  His issues at this point seem more emotional than susbtance-related anyway. 

The Browns' timing with reinstatement was years ago.  The NFL is adapting.

The Patriots aren't offering him any money when he's on the suspended list.  That's how the suspended list works.  They don't get money while on it.

"Slaps on the wrist" are exactly how you DO get serious with addiction.  If the guy is making the effort, doing the work, participating in the program, you don't bring the roof down on his head.  You hold him accountable for his actions while making sure he has a path to success.  Not having light at the end of the tunnel is a huge contributor to addicts giving up.  He hasn't committed any crimes and he hasn't hurt anybody - he's coping with serious crap in his life and he's making quite an effort along the way.  We should all put so much energy into taming our demons.

"I can't believe that he could be reinstated after all of the failed tests."

It was never confirmed that he failed a test when he stepped away.  That is private information, not public. And I am pretty sure he did not fail a test, but felt he needed to be grounded or he would.  Who knows, maybe he and Tom are working on that now.  Josh may have a new sobriety sponsor. 

Don't be so quick to throw stones.  Gordon came into the league very young.  He is a terrific persistence story in actuality. 
Of all the problems in the world you are really above and beyond by trying to stop all the bad posts against Hill and Gordon. Heroic doesn't begin to describe it.

Of all the problems in the world you are really above and beyond by trying to stop all the bad posts against Hill and Gordon. Heroic doesn't begin to describe it.
I'm not trying to stop anything.  Just providing different POV.  

Ad Hominem much?

ad hominem /ˌad ˈhämənəm/

adjective

1. (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

we don't talk about injured players as much as this oft-suspended, 1 hit one year flash in the pan. his last full season played was his first season - 16 games, 13 starts.

I just dont get the 'hey what are y'all doin' with Gordon??" 

why would you even entertain or consider drafting this guy he has done nothing in the NFL except one 'good' year where all he mustered was 87 catches, and has been suspended nearly half of his pro career. 

I could name 40 WRs who will post better stats than Gordon.maybe 50 WRs. 

why would you even entertain or consider drafting this guy he has done nothing in the NFL except one 'good' year where all he mustered was 87 catches, and has been suspended nearly half of his pro career. 

Sure.  But most leagues start at least 36 WRs, and some will start more than 40.

So of course discussing the possibility that WR50 (who has thin competition and an elite QB throwing to him) might be valuable in fantasy is reasonable.  And that includes discussing whether the suspension risk merits taking him at WR50 or not.

Not seeing the surprise.  Stash him at the end of an early draft and replace him with a camp star if he doesnt get reinstated.

The reason to roster him is because when he's actually on the field, he is a difference maker.  And getting that caliber of player for essentially free is the kind of thing that wins a week and/or season.

tangfoot said:
The reason to roster him is because when he's actually on the field, he is a difference maker.  And getting that caliber of player for essentially free is the kind of thing that wins a week and/or season.
There is no doubt Josh Gordon circa 2013 was a difference maker. That was 6 seasons ago. In the past 5 seasons, he has played in 22 games and missed 58 games.

Looking at only when he has played in that time span, his per 16 game totals project to 60-1000-3. That's nowhere near what he used to produce. Last year, in PPR leagues, that would have ranked as WR32. Of course, given all the time he's missed, it would have been impossible for him to have ranked that high on a full season basis.

Combining the perpetual suspension risk and essentially WR3 level production, I am not sure Gordon is much of a difference maker anymore. NE will rely much more on Julian Edelman than they will on Gordon (assuming he gets reinstated). Even if Gordon somehow were activated by Week 1 and played a full season, I don't think he would rank in the Top 25. I still would consider him a mediocre WR3 for fantasy purposes.

Value wise, if you got him for a song of off waivers, that might be a decent ROI. But if you actually drafted him expecting him to be in your lineup every week, I think those owners will be disappointed.

There is no doubt Josh Gordon circa 2013 was a difference maker. That was 6 seasons ago. In the past 5 seasons, he has played in 22 games and missed 58 games.

Looking at only when he has played in that time span, his per 16 game totals project to 60-1000-3. That's nowhere near what he used to produce. Last year, in PPR leagues, that would have ranked as WR32. Of course, given all the time he's missed, it would have been impossible for him to have ranked that high on a full season basis.

Combining the perpetual suspension risk and essentially WR3 level production, I am not sure Gordon is much of a difference maker anymore. NE will rely much more on Julian Edelman than they will on Gordon (assuming he gets reinstated). Even if Gordon somehow were activated by Week 1 and played a full season, I don't think he would rank in the Top 25. I still would consider him a mediocre WR3 for fantasy purposes.

Value wise, if you got him for a song of off waivers, that might be a decent ROI. But if you actually drafted him expecting him to be in your lineup every week, I think those owners will be disappointed.
He had 4 actual TDs in only 12 games last year, so how are you only giving him 3 when projecting over a full 16?  And that was with two brand new (for him) QBs and two brand new offenses, in the same season.  If he plays this year (in New England), and anywhere near 16 games, he'll have around 1,000 yards. 

He had 4 actual TDs in only 12 games last year, so how are you only giving him 3 when projecting over a full 16?  And that was with two brand new (for him) QBs and two brand new offenses, in the same season.  If he plays this year (in New England), and anywhere near 16 games, he'll have around 1,000 yards. 
Did you read the specifics of what I wrote?

"In the past 5 seasons, he has played in 22 games. Looking at only when he has played in that time span, his per 16 game totals project to 60-1000-3."

That includes a compilation of his numbers from 22 games then projected over 16 games.

Did you read the specifics of what I wrote?

"In the past 5 seasons, he has played in 22 games. Looking at only when he has played in that time span, his per 16 game totals project to 60-1000-3."

That includes a compilation of his numbers from 22 games then projected over 16 games.
Just don't understand why you'd be taking his numbers from his time in Cleveland in 2014 with Brian Hoyer, and using it to project his potential 2019 numbers with Tom Brady in New England.

Just don't understand why you'd be taking his numbers from his time in Cleveland in 2014 with Brian Hoyer, and using it to project his potential 2019 numbers with Tom Brady in New England.
Someone else indicated that whenever Gordon was on the field (meaning all the time), he has been a fantasy difference maker. Since his breakout season, that does not appear to be the case (IMO).

If you want to use his numbers only from his time in last year, from Weeks 4-15 (the weeks he played for the Patriots), Gordon ranked WR29 in terms of total fantasy points scored (PPR) and WR35 in ppg in that time (accounting for bye weeks). That's essentially in the same exact production range as his limited use in Cleveland in his sporadic playing time since his breakout year.

If people want to project him for more production based on whatever criteria they want (playing in NE, playing with Brady, more time to learn the playbook, the efficiency of the Patriots offense, their lack of other top receivers, etc.), feel free. I may not have the same opinion or conclusions in terms of projected outcomes. 

I don't see the Patriots having a true outside receiver putting up huge numbers. They will still use Edelman a ton, Brady doesn't air the ball out as much, they use backs out of the backfield extensively, and last year they had their most success as a power running team. As far as running deeper routes, NE will go as far as Brady can take them, and having him stand like a deer in the headlights in the pocket for deeper routes very often will leave him exposed to big hits. Sure, they will take some shots down the field, but I don't see it becoming an extensive thing.

And Gordon getting no practice and no reps certainly won't help his cause. But like I say in pretty much every NE thread, let's see where they are on Opening Day and we should have more clarity on where they are at, what personnel they keep, and what approach they will most likely take.

I think if Gordon could get on the field for a full camp and season you'd prob see a difference maker.

I don't think that will happen at this point.

Someone else indicated that whenever Gordon was on the field (meaning all the time), he has been a fantasy difference maker.
Pretty sure you mangled my assertion.  I said he IS a difference maker.  Meaning, in the weeks last season when he played, he was scoring fantasy points (albeit not with consistency), but he was really getting into a groove right before he disappeared again.

It's tangible.  You have to cite the intangible to project anything beyond that.  If you're into projections anyway.  I'm not, but that's a different subject.

Wish Gordon would just hang it up and get help that can stick with him long term.

Hate to see anyone struggle with addiction, and I hate to think that a guy like Gordon who has both money and access to treatment and help many don't isn't taking advantage of his position to get the help he needs. 

Tough situation for Gordon, but at this point he needs to focus on himself, not his football career.

Via Schefty on Twitter

"NFL informed suspended former All-Pro WR Josh Gordon that it is reinstating him, sources tell ESPN. Gordon is expected to be eligible to play as early as Week 4."

Looks like he doesn't actually belong or is on an NFL team presently...here's the thing. If he could have gotten it under control 3 years ago when he was 27 still, the league would be ready to receive. I don't see where he helps your football team because he won't be there in a few weeks when has another relapse. 

Can he still run routes and blow by guys on fly patterns? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally get the pessimism, but what if he A) doesn't relapse and B) makes a serious attempt at playing in the NFL?  

I totally get the pessimism, but what if he A) doesn't relapse and B) makes a serious attempt at playing in the NFL?  
He's still in his thirties a yearish removed from being in a locker room.  No team is putting him in as their starting x and he's going to have to fight for a backup spot at this point.   Fantasy irrelevant.

He's still in his thirties a yearish removed from being in a locker room.  No team is putting him in as their starting x and he's going to have to fight for a backup spot at this point.   Fantasy irrelevant.
Detroit.

Granted he will take half the season to really get back to game speed (whatever that looks like for him at 30). But then again....Goff.

Users who are viewing this thread