What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rodgers Starting...But Startable For Fantasy Lineups? (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
Rather than put this in an old thread, thought I would make a new one given the importance.

Aaron Rodgers (knee) will start in Week 2 against the Vikings.

Rodgers will be under center for the Packers' Week 2 divisional matchup barring any setbacks. He's still reportedly dealing with swelling and soreness in his knee but improved throughout the week. It's obviously a terrifying matchup to give it a go in as the Vikings recorded the fourth-highest pressure rate in Week 1 (14.1%). Rodgers has gutted out worse situations in his career, but it's still in the realm of possibilities he doesn't see this one through. Davante Adams (questionable, shoulder) is additionally expected to play at less than 100% against Xavier Rhodes.

———————————————

Not surprised at all he’s playing - are owners rolling the dice with the injury and the matchup or just going more conservative this week with another option?

Last edited by a moderator:
After the Ravens DT fiasco, I've got to sit him for Fitzpatrick or Watson. I guess pending your matchup/options he could be the right guy but I can't take a first quarter exit and he's left me at that altar about four times in the last few years. If he stays in the game, I think he'll do his usual damage, though. 

If I had a good alternative I would sit him. I have E Manning as my back up so I'll be starting Rogers.

This feels like a 200 ish yard 1 TD struggle of a game. 

If I had a good alternative I would sit him. I have E Manning as my back up so I'll be starting Rogers.

This feels like a 200 ish yard 1 TD struggle of a game. 
I think Eli may have a good game in Dallas, but that’s a tough call.

I hope your right I have him in.

It's possible that if the Pack had a reliable back up he wouldn't play. I don't see big numbers today. I see manage the game and keep it close. If he can't run or move in the pocket he will not be the Rogers we are hoping for. I would certainly play several QB's over him today.

I'm starting him, other options are Keenum and Darnold. I admit though I've thought hard about playing Keenum instead.

I also have Davante Adams, currently in my starting lineup but I'm considering benching him for Golladay to mitigate some of the risk of having 2 banged up Packers against that defense. Still thinking that one over.

I am guessing 250+ yards, 2 TD, 1 INT as a game manager forced to throw against a really good defense.  So he's not going to win big as my QB1 matchup, but likely will match what I could pull off the waiver wire (Tyrod without Gordon?, an upside QB2?).  Don't over think it, it just means I have to win other matchups.

Hopefully Dr Dan chimes in on the injury.  Not ligament related.   Compression injury.  Would normally keep him out 2 months.  He shouldn't be playing on it.

Thats what we have learned just today.  No clue what that injury is.

I’m rolling with Tyrod Taylor over Rodgers today. Way too much risk starting Rodgers vs.that Manny D. DeVante is banged up with a shoulder as well. That Minnesota D stimied Garoppolo and that SF offense last week. Obviously could get burned benching Rodgers, but, too much risk in starting him. Especially if you have a viable back-up. 

Rolling Luck over Rodgers in league that is basically TD only and doesn’t hit you with negative for ints.

Probably a wash this week.

I can count the guys I'd start over him on 1 hand. Brees, both Ben/Mahomes from that likely shootout, and probably Cam are the only guys I feel good about starting over Rodgers. Maybe Garappolo since the Lions defense looks awful, maybe?

Seeing names like Fitzpatrick, Tyrod, and even Luck seems way too conservative in my opinion.

Mahomes over Rodgers today. My excuse is “Vikings D” ... but really I just want to see what’s going to happen with Rodgers.

I do like Mahomes a lot as well.

I can count the guys I'd start over him on 1 hand. Brees, both Ben/Mahomes from that likely shootout, and probably Cam are the only guys I feel good about starting over Rodgers. Maybe Garappolo since the Lions defense looks awful, maybe?

Seeing names like Fitzpatrick, Tyrod, and even Luck seems way too conservative in my opinion.
Seeing Cam on your list is pretty gutsy. He has a history of not playing well in Atlanta especially the last few years and Atlanta has a good defense.

I have Rodgers in 2 leagues and I am rolling with Goff and Garrapollo over him. I am also benching Cobb and Allison if I have better options. Like Golladay over Cobb, Jordan Reed at flex over Allison, and Garcon over Allison( in that league I have Green so I am going safe since I already have a decent lead)

Jimmy G instead. Injury and the matchup difference make it a fairly easy call for me, though I could see Jimmy G derailing the hype train completely just b/c that's how RNGesus generally treats me. lol

Seeing Cam on your list is pretty gutsy. He has a history of not playing well in Atlanta especially the last few years and Atlanta has a good defense.

I have Rodgers in 2 leagues and I am rolling with Goff and Garrapollo over him. I am also benching Cobb and Allison if I have better options. Like Golladay over Cobb, Jordan Reed at flex over Allison, and Garcon over Allison( in that league I have Green so I am going safe since I already have a decent lead)
Atlanta being down their 2 best defensive players, is a big sway for me. I've also kinda always been higher than most on Cam. 

Alex P Keaton said:
Hopefully Dr Dan chimes in on the injury.  Not ligament related.   Compression injury.  Would normally keep him out 2 months.  He shouldn't be playing on it.

I’m not sure that information is accurate.  It can take up to two months to heal fully, but that doesn’t mean a player can’t play if they have pain tolerance and the pain is managed.

Rodgers is likely going to turn into Brady today.  He’ll stay in the pocket, get the ball out quickly, and throw the ball away and go on to the next play if nothing develops.  He’s fully capable of playing that kind of game well, as we saw last week against a pretty strong Bears’ D.

Either way, Rodgers’ leg is going to have to come off before he misses a start against the Vikes.  This is a big game and he’s that kind of guy.

Alex P Keaton said:

a compression injury from trauma with the knee bent...

seems weird. but lets talk about what it could be in a way that makes sense

So it wasnt a sprained knee, according to the tweet. I honestly dont know what to make of it. the weirdest part is that "he shouldnt be playing on it." why? what kind of injury is non operable but takes 8 weeks to heal? a bone bruise? a cartilage bruise? likely one of them as both have a poor blood supply and take a while to heal. however, either one of those is fine to play on, it's just a pain tolerance thing. if he is swollen, the quads could be weakened and he would be at risk for an ACL tear. It's considered a compression injury... okay, so a bruise of some sort. again, why should he not play on it? the only thing I can think of is by not allowing cartilage to heal, the chances of cell death is high, meaning he could be at risk of knee issues later in life. what NFL player isnt? but maybe he could have knee issues the rest of his career. it's possible. So my speculative analysis would lead me to believe cartilage bruise. could lead to cartilage/meniscus death later on. just seems odd to me. 

All of this considered, I dont think the "he shouldnt be playing on it" is any reflection on that he could make things worse. I think this is more in relation to his long term knee health. which makes sense. if it were something he could make worse would gb let their qb who they just signed to a massive deal risk that deal? it's likely, well Aaron you could be looking at a knee replacement in your 40s... it's up to you. IMO if Rodgers was 24 he would be out...

I also am benching Cobb this week because I don't trust Rodger's health.

That injury was serious. Yes, he came back last week but don't underestimate adrenalin and drugs. 

The Vikings D will bring even more heat than the Bears, and the Bears were able to put considerable pressure on Rodgers in the first half.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers does not finsih the game.

Sitting him this week for Mahomes.  I think Mahomes is the better play (although if memory serves, they're ranked relatively closely)

Alex P Keaton said:

I think GB is insane starting him today. We’ll see if the gamble pays off ( it won’t).

I also am benching Cobb this week because I don't trust Rodger's health.

That injury was serious. Yes, he came back last week but don't underestimate adrenalin and drugs. 

The Vikings D will bring even more heat than the Bears, and the Bears were able to put considerable pressure on Rodgers in the first half.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers does not finsih the game.
Expect Cobb to be a target monster this game.

Aaron Rodgers is playing today with a "very deep bone bruise" + a sprained MCL and he'll have a brace on, per @JayGlazer. "Any other player would be out a month."

Might be crazy and backfire, but I'm benching him.

Users who are viewing this thread