What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rules Named for Players... (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
 We have the Tom Brady rule (tuck rule), the Favre rule (OT rule  where if the first team only gets a field goal the second team gets another posession) and the Aaron Rogers rule. 

Are there any other rules that are colloquially named for the player who may have given rise to the reason for the role? 

We have the Tom Brady rule (tuck rule), the Favre rule (OT rule  where if the first team only gets a field goal the second team gets another posession) and the Aaron Rogers rule. 

Are there any other rules that are colloquially named for the player who may have given rise to the reason for the role? 
Brady's got two. The low hit on QB rule is also for him.

Long Ball Larry said:
i think the fumblerooski may have been known as the ken stabler rule?
The play that inspired that rule has a once-more-famous name: Ghost to the Post (for former Raiders TE Dave Casper).

Trying to remember if The Holy Roller was the same play or not.

EDIT: Errr, the fumblerooski thing WAS the Holy Roller. Ghost to the Post was another Casper play the prior season.

Last edited by a moderator:
The play that inspired that rule has a once-more-famous name: Ghost to the Post (for former Raiders TE Dave Casper).

Not the same play.

Ghost to the Post was just a play, not a new rule.

Holy Roller made  a new rule.

Arodin said:
It's fallen out of favor with all the "what's a catch" kerfuffle, but old timers will remember the Bert Emmanuel rule...
It sucks that you have to be an old-timer to remember this, but it's true, and I remember it all too well  :kicksrock:

The Mel Blount rule: No contact with receivers more than 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

The Steve Tasker rule: Gunners must stay inbounds when covering a punt. If forced out of bounds by a blocker, the gunner must make an attempt to return inbounds as soon as possible.

mr roboto said:

I know. Still largely attached to that game. 
Yes, that's true. However, your thread title is Rules Named for Players and your OP seems to ask for rules named for players who were the reason for the creation of the rule.

Yes, that's true. However, your thread title is Rules Named for Players and your OP seems to ask for rules named for players who were the reason for the creation of the rule.
Fair enough. 

I’m officially opening the thread to rules that existed before a player made them famous. In theory the new Rogers rule is also a case on this. 

Same.  This one doesn't belong.  Neither does the Favre one really either.
Really?  I’m pretty sure it was 1-2 years after the 2009 NFC Championship game and largely rumored to be ‘because Favre didn’t get to touch the ball in OT’. 

Really?  I’m pretty sure it was 1-2 years after the 2009 NFC Championship game and largely rumored to be ‘because Favre didn’t get to touch the ball in OT’. 
Again, I've never heard it described as "the favre rule".  And googling "the favre rule" very few references to that rule or game are brought up.  Just don't see how it's remotely "named for players".

Only ones really would be the Roy Williams Rule.  Rodgers rule too.

Arodin said:
It's fallen out of favor with all the "what's a catch" kerfuffle, but old timers will remember the Bert Emmanuel rule...

Again, I've never heard it described as "the favre rule".  And googling "the favre rule" very few references to that rule or game are brought up.  Just don't see how it's remotely "named for players".

Only ones really would be the Roy Williams Rule.  Rodgers rule too.
See what I mean about only old timers remembering this one?  Googling it, it even has its own little highlight box where google tells you what it is.

EDIT: Errr, the fumblerooski thing WAS the Holy Roller. Ghost to the Post was another Casper play the prior season.
Ghost to the post wasn't a play, it was just anything describing Dave Casper going into the endzone, especially toward the middle.

Fumblerooski is when the QB takes the snap and lays the ball on the ground so an OL can pick it up and run with it.  The only legal way for an OL to touch the ball is if it's fumbled so this is used to take advantage of the rule definition and gain a surprise on the defense who's not expecting the OL to have the ball and are usually trying to avoid them, not tackle them.

The Holy Roller was when Stabler basically threw the ball forward and, instead of picking it up, Casper intentionally bobbled/pushed it forward until it crossed the endzone, where he jumped on it to score a TD.  Today that would be simply called an incomplete pass since Stabler's hand was coming forward.  It did generate a rule change that with under 2 minutes left in either half or on 4th down at any time only the fumbling player can advance the ball, and anyone else recovering it results in the ball being put back at the spot of the fumble.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of these rules were made because of said players but outside a couple I have never heard most of them referred to as the "Joe Blow Rule"

Users who are viewing this thread