What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Forced Acceleration Of Dues Payment To Process A Trade? (1 Viewer)

Is It Fair For The Commish To Do This?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the lone star

Footballguy
So an owner in my league made a trade for a valuable player, and I didn't like how uneven the deal was, so I voiced my concern to the Commish. The Commish told me that the deal wasn't as bad as I think because the owner that received the star player was forced to pay dues quicker than everyone else in order to get a trade processed.

This is a league with a substantial fee for dues, so we split them into 2 payments. Half before the season starts, and half again after week 8.

Do you think the Commish should be able to demand owners to pay up earlier if they want their trades to go through, even if it goes against the accepted standards/codes/precedents of the league? Is it fair?
Posting in here to get a wider pull. I'll definitely contribute to other threads though. I hope that's OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a fair commish question that ive seen around. was this accelerated payment policy an actual policy that was known to all owners prior to this transaction? if yes, then there's nothing to discuss imo. if he made it up for this situation specifically, then he went over his boundaries regardless of how expensive the league is.

this sounds similar to what I use to do in prior years where owners have to pay their fees before the start of the season and they are locked out of any transactions on waiver until they make their payments. don't think i ever had to enforce it, but everyone knew that was the policy and stuck by it.

I think this is a fair commish question that ive seen around. was this accelerated payment policy an actual policy that was known to all owners prior to this transaction? if yes, then there's nothing to discuss imo. if he made it up for this situation specifically, then he went over his boundaries regardless of how expensive the league is.

this sounds similar to what I use to do in prior years where owners have to pay their fees before the start of the season and they are locked out of any transactions on waiver until they make their payments. don't think i ever had to enforce it, but everyone knew that was the policy and stuck by it.
No official policy. Just made it up on his own.

No official policy. Just made it up on his own.
then it's terrible anyway we look at it. but i missed that point from underacheivers, if second payment is due week 8, but you said the payment was accelerated, then anyone who wants to trade have to make the second payment under his new "policy" like underachievers alluded to? something doesn't add up. or did this trade occur in the offseason before the first payment was due?

then it's terrible anyway we look at it. but i missed that point from underacheivers, if second payment is due week 8, but you said the payment was accelerated, then anyone who wants to trade have to make the second payment under his new "policy" like underachievers alluded to? something doesn't add up. or did this trade occur in the offseason before the first payment was due?
Anyone can make trades regardless of paying that 2nd half or not. So if you haven't paid the 2nd half and it's still before week 8, then trades are still gonna go through. Often times owners wind up delaying payment until the end of the season, but historically, they've been able to make trades too. Nobody has ever been mandated to pay dues ahead of time as a condition of a trade.

agree and that sounds like exactly what happened. why he mandated the payment is a mystery. i can sympathize a little bit if this owner is a late payer historically and the commish was opportunistic to avoid a payment situation which is a ##### at the end of a season. but still, seems like an odd move and if i was the one forced to pay that i'd quit the league on principle. also, i have to assume from this that both owners had to pay the fees. otherwise, what are we talking about here? many holes in this transaction.

I may need to reread the post  But it looks like Star called out some guys trade as being "unfair" to which the Comish responded that said teams dues are already paid in full  Meaning let it go because if ya don't like it?  You gotta go...  Guess maybe a chance for some lack of trust in certain folks paying their share too

He was asked to post these in the assistant coach thread. I guess he forgot.

On one of them he said he hit backspace too many times so that’s how it ended up here instead of there. 
Think Star's been asked to limit to one per day/week  First one I have seen in awhile  Believe more rope needed to say much at this point

WTH you guys play in a League that does not require dues paid in advance

Think Star's been asked to limit to one per day/week  First one I have seen in awhile  Believe more rope needed to say much at this point

WTH you guys play in a League that does not require dues paid in advance
One per day of relevant topics for everyone to take part in. 

His league specific ones, I believe, he was asked to go to assistant coach. 

The problem is everyone attacks him because he only cares about himself in his leagues and he responds well and doesn’t respond negatively so everyone else becomes the at fault party. So non of the mods do anything.

Sorry if it upset you guys. You can always ignore though. I've been more active on other threads and feel like I've been contributing there, but now this discussion is not about what I posted. 

But thanks anyway. Like always, I appreciate all thoughtful and serious responses.

One per day of relevant topics for everyone to take part in. 

His league specific ones, I believe, he was asked to go to assistant coach. 

The problem is everyone attacks him because he only cares about himself in his leagues and he responds well and doesn’t respond negatively so everyone else becomes the at fault party. So non of the mods do anything.
Yeah well don't feed with fuel  Everything is what ya make of it  Believe lesson learned here is to try to play in a real League that mandates dues paid by Season start or something  Least that's what I hope to see conversed on the manner  Takes two right!

Only fair if you're the owner that has to pay early.

The commissioner should have free reign to do whatever he/she wants when they want it.

I may need to reread the post  But it looks like Star called out some guys trade as being "unfair" to which the Comish responded that said teams dues are already paid in full  Meaning let it go because if ya don't like it?  You gotta go...  Guess maybe a chance for some lack of trust in certain folks paying their share too
Well the issue is that the Commish forced dues to be paid in full as a condition of the trade. That's a bit concerning regardless of who the owner is and how he reacted to it (which I don't know).

B/c what if the Commish asks for dues to be paid and then denies the trade?

Only fair if you're the owner that has to pay early.

The commissioner should have free reign to do whatever he/she wants when they want it.
I think some limits are good. B/c, for example, what if they drop someone out of the playoffs or completely change up the draft order at the last second?

Sorry if it upset you guys. You can always ignore though. I've been more active on other threads and feel like I've been contributing there, but now this discussion is not about what I posted. 

But thanks anyway. Like always, I appreciate all thoughtful and serious responses.
No hard feelings here brah   Don't really much care to see anyone not allowed to post   As you say there is a block option  Think its nice that you haven't decided to reword your question too  (imho) IF something is broke its broken  Planning to collect dues in the middle of the Season sounds like poor business  Hopefully, you have better luck with your next League

Peace

No hard feelings here brah   Don't really much care to see anyone not allowed to post   As you say there is a block option  Think its nice that you haven't decided to reword your question too  (imho) IF something is broke its broken  Planning to collect dues in the middle of the Season sounds like poor business  Hopefully, you have better luck with your next League

Peace
Looking at the question again though, I could rephrase it a little. Didn't really see that the first time around.

Well the issue is that the Commish forced dues to be paid in full as a condition of the trade. That's a bit concerning regardless of who the owner is and how he reacted to it (which I don't know).

Hard to say much if anything that will make any sense  Due's should already be paid!  You really think someone is gonna fork over dues taking over a gutted team?  

Look trades ain't exactly simple to evaluate especially when team owners may need their handheld  Yeah it is really easy to say this or that is why such n' such  But sometimes reality just slaps you in the face all of a sudden

Looking at the question again though, I could rephrase it a little. Didn't really see that the first time around.
Please note that its best that most all posts contribute in some fashion for the benefit of most if not all  Think you posted plenty enough info or at least key points of interests at this point

Feel like I’m trying to read Japanese in here.   None of these posts make any sense but I guess I missed all the details in other posts.  

My only question is wouldn’t the guy who traded the star player away be the one you would want to secure payment from?  He would be the one I would worry about bailing when his team stinks.  

Anyway, the commish’s explanation either stinks or was worded very poorly by Op.  Either way good luck with the resolution. 

So what's your policy with commissioners. If you don't know the guy, will you play in his league? I'm starting to think that's the better policy.
Probably a bit to personal a question for my taste but I will try an answer  Guy should be honest (that's probably it) 

Case in point goes back to H.S.  Always loved Football  Anyway this like junior/senior ran a pool  Think it cost me a buck or something  But yeah I remember him asking if I wanted to see a copy of everyone's picks  I was like No that's okay  So anyway after a few weeks of games without winning I decided to really buckle down  I picked every game which may have included two upsets (I forget)  Never forget the guy coming to tell me someone else picked the same   I looked at him and I think it was his buddy who giggled/chuckled  Yeap that was my last pool! LOL

Feel like I’m trying to read Japanese in here.   None of these posts make any sense but I guess I missed all the details in other posts.  

My only question is wouldn’t the guy who traded the star player away be the one you would want to secure payment from?  He would be the one I would worry about bailing when his team stinks.  

Anyway, the commish’s explanation either stinks or was worded very poorly by Op.  Either way good luck with the resolution. 
Yeah its kind of too complicated to explain in laymen's terms  Can you possibly contribute as to what if any limits in power a Comish should have in your League?

I think some limits are good. B/c, for example, what if they drop someone out of the playoffs or completely change up the draft order at the last second?
For your examples...Then everyone agrees to kick a terrible commish out of power/quit the league. Those are very simple pushing the powers of a commish to far and honestly I don’t see how anyone would ever experience them because they are so outlandish.

Yeah its kind of too complicated to explain in laymen's terms  Can you possibly contribute as to what if any limits in power a Comish should have in your League?
Gotcha.  Yeah our commish can obviously enforce any rule in the by laws.  In 15 years we’ve only had one or two incidents come up mid season that needed to be addressed immediately.  The commissioner reached out to everyone about his plan of action and allowed for a vote and questions/responses before moving forward. There is a “majority rule” precedent already in place in case not everyone responds in time.  

Otherwise any new rules or ideas wait until offseason for a proper explanation and full vote.    He would never just tell us that “it’s not as bad as you think because I made him pay his dues early.”   That move is as shady as the two teams colluding or possibly colluding.  

Gotcha.  Yeah our commish can obviously enforce any rule in the by laws.  In 15 years we’ve only had one or two incidents come up mid season that needed to be addressed immediately.  The commissioner reached out to everyone about his plan of action and allowed for a vote and questions/responses before moving forward. There is a “majority rule” precedent already in place in case not everyone responds in time.  

Otherwise any new rules or ideas wait until offseason for a proper explanation and full vote.    He would never just tell us that “it’s not as bad as you think because I made him pay his dues early.”   That move is as shady as the two teams colluding or possibly colluding.  
Okay so if it was your League aside from the Comish possibly not providing an honest answer the trade goes through and you would be allowed to vote on finetuning the paying of dues in regards to trades at the end of the Season

We already have plenty of posts about discussion involving trades being approved  Unless someone hopes to reinvent the wheel?  At least in said League, the only possible requirement for "funny" trades may be the full payment of dues  Personally could think of much worse things for the health of a League ie. Being told we will have a discussion and vote next yr  But then again I don't exactly question trades too much myself

Sounds kinda like the commish is getting a kickback for allowing a one-sided deal to proceed, maybe...

Or, maybe this assures that someone isn't going to make bad deals then bail.

We already have plenty of posts about discussion involving trades being approved  Unless someone hopes to reinvent the wheel?  At least in said League, the only possible requirement for "funny" trades may be the full payment of dues  Personally could think of much worse things for the health of a League ie. Being told we will have a discussion and vote next yr  But then again I don't exactly question trades too much myself
If it were a horribly lopsided deal that points to collusion, then it would be handled in our league immediately with involvement from the majority of the league in the least.  

If it’s something like, “hey we should have IR designation”, then it gets shelved until the offseason.  

We are fortunate that there is little to zero questionable behavior in our league.  Probably because we are all in our 40’s now and this is secondary to most everything in life.  

Hope you guys get the answers you are looking for.  

If it were a horribly lopsided deal that points to collusion, then it would be handled in our league immediately with involvement from the majority of the league in the least.  

If it’s something like, “hey we should have IR designation”, then it gets shelved until the offseason.  

We are fortunate that there is little to zero questionable behavior in our league.  Probably because we are all in our 40’s now and this is secondary to most everything in life.  

Hope you guys get the answers you are looking for.  
Yeah I suspect the key word could be the center of the dilemma  Quite possibly Star is the only one who really questions the trade  Personally, I suspect if only one person were to question a trade that I approved IF I were a Comish then my response might be that the guys paid their dues  Possibly adding if it is bad as you suspect that maybe we might have to see about making some changes in who actually plays in MY League

In our league it is standard practice; you can't trade a future pick if you haven't paid for that pick/draft. It makes sense or you leave yourself opene to guys who will trade future assets to try and win this year and then just quit the leauge after trashing a team's future. 

In our league it is standard practice; you can't trade a future pick if you haven't paid for that pick/draft. It makes sense or you leave yourself opene to guys who will trade future assets to try and win this year and then just quit the leauge after trashing a team's future. 
Yeah, I like that idea. Did you all vote to include it, or was it always a part of the league's rules/operating procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread