What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Golf Guys - Help with new set (1 Viewer)

strykerpks

Footballguy
So I'm thinking about treating myself to a new set in the coming weeks for my 40th. I currently have a set of Pro Techs (knock off Nike or Mizuno, can't remember which) that I bought off ebay circa 2003 for like $250. They've been relatively solid for me over the years, but it's time.

I'd like to think that I'm a bit more skilled than the average weekend warrior hacking up the local muni, but if I shoot in the 90s I'm usually pretty happy. I only get out maybe 8-12 times per year if I'm lucky. I'm hoping to get out more in the coming years so I'd like to upgrade to something that will likely last.

I'm not really sure where to begin. I'm thinking about spending anywhere between $500-800 but could be talked into a little bit more if it's the right deal. I've spent the last few nights on various sites (from Amazon, ebay, ****'s, Golf Galaxy, several name brand sites, etc) and it seems everything is "manufactured for distance and feel".  There's a lot of vague terminology that can get confusing. I obviously don't need the latest and greatest but I certainly also want the best bang for my buck.

Am I better off going for a complete set? Find a set of irons and then supplement with driver/fairway/hybrids etc? Do I need to get measured (I've heard conflicting thoughts on this as I don't play enough to have a handicap)? What am I missing or not thinking about?

Also, I'm lefty so in my limited research quite a few options are not available. Thoughts? Suggestions? Shtick? TIA

Try rockbottomgolf.com, that’s where I do most of my shopping.  Lefty here, too, and they often have great deals on older models.  I currently have a set of Ping i20s but am gonna upgrade next year.  If you can find a set of Titleist APs in that price range or a tad more, sold IMO.  

Buddy of mine at work spent $1,000 on a new "fitted" driver and 3-wood a couple of months ago. 

His goal this year was to break 90.  Didn't make it yet.  I've played with him 3/4 times. 

He makes fun of the old man (53) playing with the Lynx irons and Pinseeker woods circa 1988 (graduation present from grandparents).  I play 5/6 times a year, shoot mid 70's and have no desire to get better.

After hearing of this new purchase, my quote was "unless you get lessons, all you're going to do is hit the ball FURTHER into the rough/woods" and your scores will get worse.   

He came by on Monday and said "haven't broken 100 with the new clubs".  I'm SMH. So my advice would be to get better via lessons first.

You can get a set one year old for 1/2 of the original price that look brand new--Amazon-Ebay, etc..  If you have a ####'s sporting store or the like they can fit you & you don't have to buy although it would be nice to offer them 20 bucks.  Would be nice to know if you can play a standard set.   I would buy a different brand of irons than woods.   You can get more of a personal touch on them.  Your heading in the right direction-nice job.

Stick with your current clubs till you can shoot in the 80's. For the money you want to spend you won't get much out of it

Buddy of mine at work spent $1,000 on a new "fitted" driver and 3-wood a couple of months ago. 

His goal this year was to break 90.  Didn't make it yet.  I've played with him 3/4 times. 

He makes fun of the old man (53) playing with the Lynx irons and Pinseeker woods circa 1988 (graduation present from grandparents).  I play 5/6 times a year, shoot mid 70's and have no desire to get better.

After hearing of this new purchase, my quote was "unless you get lessons, all you're going to do is hit the ball FURTHER into the rough/woods" and your scores will get worse.   

He came by on Monday and said "haven't broken 100 with the new clubs".  I'm SMH. So my advice would be to get better via lessons first.
Well, $1k for 2 clubs seems excessive for anyone not < 10 handicap. And I hear ya. I had some ancient Gene Sarazen clubs that got me through high school and college before this set. I'm just looking to replace these old, worn out clubs that I can't even pass down to my nephew or sons. I probably should have prefaced with that. A few of them have some small chunks taken out of the face, a few have a slight curve to them (not done on purpose, mind you) and obviously the grips are ####.

There will definitely be lessons in the future.

Also, thanks! Keep the advice coming. I'll keep looking at some end of the season deals and then reevaluate whether or not to buy. Appreciate the insights.

I was very similar to you - hack golfer...had never broken 90.  So at 40, decided to invest more time/money in golf.

I've gotten to be as good as a 7-handicap but fluctuate and not building correct mechanics into my swing at a young age means my consistency is...rough (even mid-round).

But I've broken 80 a few times and I love the game.  Investing in clubs was a good decision for me because it motivated me to play.

Only advice I would give is get fit and try lots of stuff out before buying and do what feels right to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trying to get better or you just want new sticks?  Honestly for mid-90s you'll get better if you play and practice more, not if you buy fancy equipment.  Lessons can give you some things to work on, but you'll still have to go work on them.

If you want new clubs just cause you want new ones, go hit a bunch at a store with a simulator or a range so you see how they feel and at least have some idea how well you'll hit them.  Irons are a different animal from woods, so I'd shop them differently.  Do they even sell "sets" that include both?

Also, I trust this guy's youtube reviews.

Are you trying to get better or you just want new sticks?  Honestly for mid-90s you'll get better if you play and practice more, not if you buy fancy equipment.  Lessons can give you some things to work on, but you'll still have to go work on them.

If you want new clubs just cause you want new ones, go hit a bunch at a store with a simulator or a range so you see how they feel and at least have some idea how well you'll hit them.  Irons are a different animal from woods, so I'd shop them differently.  Do they even sell "sets" that include both?

Also, I trust this guy's youtube reviews.
I'm more in @TheDirtyWord situation. I've been playing more and more each year as opportunities grow with 2 BILs being CC members. They both have commented that as the season goes on and I play more, my swing gets better and my shots are less errant. So I'd say it's a little of column A and a little of column B...and column B is nearly becoming necessity at this point. I'll text you some pics of them later.

Some good advice in here; has anything changed in the last 4.5 years?

I'm looking to get back into the game and dusted off (what I thought were) my clubs today. I've now got a mix of various clubs (one or two women's clubs in the mix) and I have zero idea how it happened. My sand wedge is missing, as is one of my 2 hybrid clubs.

Anyway, I went out to the range and hit the ball surprisingly well (haven't even swung a club in at least 7 years) with this dog's breakfast of a set and am ready to shoot the lock of the wallet and buy some new sticks. I'm looking to a buy a set that will last me a good, long time.

A few questions:
1. Fitting needed? - @strykerpks alluded to a disagreement as to whether or not this is beneficial. If it is, plunk down cash, or is a "free" fitting sufficient
2. Full set vs. Woods/Irons/Putter from different manufacturers?
3. Best places to buy?

Again, this isn't a purchase to improve my game. That'll happen through practice, play and possible lessons. I just need a viable set to jump back in.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread