What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hypothetical - PIT Earns Wildcard Spot - Does Bell Play For $30,000 a game? (1 Viewer)

Hypothetical - Does Le'Veon Bell play in a Wildcard Game for $30,000?

• For sure not play

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Probably would not play

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • On the fence

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Probably would play

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • For sure would play

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hypothetical here. And apologies if Honda.

Clearly, it appears Le'Veon Bell is looking to maximize his value with a long term deal next year. A key part of that strategy is preserving the wear and tear on his body this season.

Let's say Bell returns to the Steelers in Week 10 in time to fulfill his obligation for this year. 

Let's say Pittsburgh winds up earning a Wild Card Spot.

Playoff games aren't covered with annual salary. Players typically make something like $25,000 - $30,000 per game for these.

Does Bell play in the Wildcard Game?

Thoughts on whether he should or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole situation bothers me. 

If anything, it feels like Bell is lowering his value by telling the coaching world he doesn’t put team or winning first.

Has PIT handled Bell poorly? Maybe so. But Connor is making them look awfully smart for not paying Bell so far.

as for the question at hand, I can see a scenario where Bell returns before week 10.

i can see where Bell might want to play for the $30k as a “show prospective buyers what they’ll get” audition.

My question is would the Steelers want him to be their centerpiece if Connor is still playing well. Or if they should. 

There’s gotta be some division in that locker room. Bell coming back and stepping right into a starting role could do more harm than good for team chemistry.

but then, winning does wonders for chemistry, too. 

Tough call. I think he’ll want to play. 

He'd likely play because if he was healthy and skipped the game there'd be no chance a team would sign him for max guaranteed dollars. A decision to skip a playoff game could end his career. Then again he's doing what he's doing now so I guess anything is possible with this guy.

I think it's super interesting.

The logical thing is for him to not play. Why would he? He's not playing now for $850,000 per game. Why would he risk injury for $30,000 per game? Sitting out makes complete financial sense.

It's the same argument you see from college players skipping the bowl game as they enter the draft.

The other side is there are lots of people who cannot fathom an NFL player skipping the postseason because it doesn't make financial sense. 

He'd likely play because if he was healthy and skipped the game there'd be no chance a team would sign him for max guaranteed dollars. A decision to skip a playoff game could end his career. Then again he's doing what he's doing now so I guess anything is possible with this guy.
:goodposting:  

This. The NFL community (team owners/front office, coaching staffs, players, fans, media) can tolerate sitting out regular season games in the name of "it's a business," etc. But I do not think any of them would tolerate sitting out playoff games.

I think that if he misses 10 weeks of the season--there is a good likelihood that the Steelers don't welcome him back at all.  Assuming playing in the game is Bell's decision to make is a stretch in and of itself.  

I'm with Joe. if he wont play for 850,000 a game now, why would he for 30,000? there is no way he is playing.

I think he comes back and PIT puts him in a time share pr just sits him as long as Connor is playing well. 

At this point, IMO, there is no team who will pay Bell what he wants. 

I'm with Joe. if he wont play for 850,000 a game now, why would he for 30,000? there is no way he is playing.
-Shot at title.

-Lasting memory for teams into free agency when Conner has been performing in that spot.

-He still enjoys playing football, even if he has to make business decisions.

I think he comes back and PIT puts him in a time share pr just sits him as long as Connor is playing well. 

At this point, IMO, there is no team who will pay Bell what he wants. 
To be clear, I'm not saying I think he won't play for $30k in a playoff game. I'm saying it's not logical if he believes it's not worth it to play for 850k a game.

But people do illogical things all the time.

For what it's worth, if it were ME, I would have either taken the long term deal PIT offered or I would have been there in Week 1 for the 850k per game plan as everyone expected.

I think he plays, for two reasons unrelated to individual paychecks:

1) The potential future earnings power of a Super Bowl ring is high enough for most players tomthink it worth the gamble to go formone, even unpaid.

2) A strong playoff run gives Bell a chance to put fresh tape in front of potential suitors and leave a powerful “last impression” that will overwrite some of the feelings about his holdout.  I think he has a better chance at GMs deciding “wow we have to have that” if he balls out at the end of the season.

Has there ever been a NFL player not play in the playoffs "saving" himself for next year with another team? I can't think of one.

But the fact we're even considering Bell might do this is pretty remarkable to me. 

I think he’s dug in as a matter of principle, but once he arrived and started to get into the season, I think he would finish the deal.

I voted "on the fence" but my real answer is "I have no idea".  I thought Bell would show up for week #1 like last year for the 14.5M but I understand his decision not to sign if he feels he is worth more.  But his agent said it was because he doesn't want to be overworked this year - essentially to save himself for next year. When the notion of Bell sitting out the playoffs first surfaced I thought it was a ridiculous idea and that nobody would ever bail on his teammates at that point in the season.  But after thinking about it from Bells POV, it does make financial sense.  He's leaving 855K per game on the table so why would he play for 30K?

It would be crazy for him to play if there are no repercussions  If there are none, he sits. If his franchise tag doesn't include playoffs, he heads to the beach.

An obscure aspect to the franchise tag is that teams don't have to adhere to the pre-set salary for the franchise tag. That is the minimum amount they can pay him. But they can pay more. They just can't sign the player beyond this year,

So Bell could work out a deal with PIT for more than $850,000 a game. I don't believe there is a rule that would prohibit a contract that would pay the same amount per game in the playoffs as the post season.

In theory, Bell could negotiate a rate at $1.5 million per game, play 6 regular season games and 3 playoff games, and still make $13.5 million. Who knows if the Steelers would have any interest in setting things up that way, but I do not believe that would go against the rules.

Another thing that most people don't realize is the ability to sign Bell to a new contract ends after Week 17, So again, in theory, PIT could give Bell an extension AFTER the regular seasons ends but BEFORE the playoffs start. Unlikely, but they could bribe him to sign a new deal (and eventually trade him if he wanted out of town). Probably wouldn't happen, but at least it is another option.

Who knows if the Steelers would have any interest in setting things up that way, but I do not believe that would go against the rules.
The Steelers have a rule where they don't negotiate with players during the regular season.  I agree with you thoughts about the possible scenarios but Pittsburgh (based on their history) would never do anything like that.  On top of their history, it would set a terrible precedent for them going forward for players who feel underpaid. 

Wouldn't the bad press hurt him financially with whoever he ends up signing with if he refused to play in the playoffs? He'd be the ultimate quitter. 

Do you agree with college players skipping their bowl game as they enter the NFL?

What if PIT is a big underdog going into their Wildcard game?
In meaningless bowl games? I have no problem with a player choosing to not play. 

Wildcard games even if major underdogs are not meaningless.

Do you agree with college players skipping their bowl game as they enter the NFL?
I am not aware that any player has sat out a college playoff game with a shot at a national championship. If you are talking about other bowl games, you are comparing apples and oranges.  

Has there ever been a NFL player not play in the playoffs "saving" himself for next year with another team? I can't think of one.

But the fact we're even considering Bell might do this is pretty remarkable to me. 
This is kind of a silly supposition, isn't it?  He hasn't yet signed his tender.  Once he signs his tender, he is under contract to play.  He'll play.

Not sure Bell will get the deal he thinks he will. The first Pitt offer with 34 or so guaranteed was a great offer for a RB. So a math guy needs to figure this out.  Is he misses 9 games and loses 7.6 million in salary what kind of a deal will he need to make the lost money up?

What if PIT is a big underdog going into their Wildcard game?
I agree with that business decision. 

As college players, they have been completely used and its time to actually get paid.  Bell has made some pretty decent money and wants to get uber-paid. I wouldn't disagree with Bell if decided he didn't want to get hurt and didn't play. But I think the draw of other considerations will weigh heavily on whether he plays for 3 games and takes a shot at the title run on a team perfectly capable of winning any 3 or 4 games in a row.

I think he plays, for two reasons unrelated to individual paychecks:

1) The potential future earnings power of a Super Bowl ring is high enough for most players tomthink it worth the gamble to go formone, even unpaid.

2) A strong playoff run gives Bell a chance to put fresh tape in front of potential suitors and leave a powerful “last impression” that will overwrite some of the feelings about his holdout.  I think he has a better chance at GMs deciding “wow we have to have that” if he balls out at the end of the season.
I don't think there is money in winning a SB ring for individual players.  Maybe a star QB in the Brady/Manning/Rodgers stratosphere, but not generally.  I assume you're talking endorsements.  Even if you're talking contract $$$, I doubt an NFL GM ups their offer to a guy because his last team was good.

The fresh tape thing cuts both ways.  He could look mediocre or even bad after so much time away.

There's no way he would skip the playoff game. 

- Once he's back, it will be easy to just keep playing

- It will damage his reputation (possible contract) FAR more by skipping the playoffs than reg season.  If we thought this was a big deal and front page news, it would be 10X that if he skipped a playoff game.

-  He feels really disconnected from his teammates right now.  If he comes back week 10, and if he leads them to a playoff spot (both assumptions of this thread), you'd have to think he would be much closer with his teammates than he is now.  They'd be winning, people would be happy, he wouldn't walk away during playoffs.

- He still is competitive and likes the game.  The 'money' during playoffs is less important than in reg season.  We've never seen a player not play in playoffs, and we never will.

-  He can save face and make fans/media forget about this quick once he's back.  If he doesn't play playoff game, he loses all that respect he got back. 

I just don't see any way this happens. 

If PIT does make it to the playoffs, give Bell a set of pom poms and let him show he still cares.  That would put him in good graces with his next team.

Since he’s only interested in maximizing his own long term financial enrichment, I’d say yeah he would be a complete **** and sit.  And then file for collusion against the league the following year when he couldn’t get $28M/year for 5 years with $70M of it guaranteed.

Deamon said:
There's no way he would skip the playoff game. 

- Once he's back, it will be easy to just keep playing

- It will damage his reputation (possible contract) FAR more by skipping the playoffs than reg season.  If we thought this was a big deal and front page news, it would be 10X that if he skipped a playoff game.

-  He feels really disconnected from his teammates right now.  If he comes back week 10, and if he leads them to a playoff spot (both assumptions of this thread), you'd have to think he would be much closer with his teammates than he is now.  They'd be winning, people would be happy, he wouldn't walk away during playoffs.

- He still is competitive and likes the game.  The 'money' during playoffs is less important than in reg season.  We've never seen a player not play in playoffs, and we never will.

-  He can save face and make fans/media forget about this quick once he's back.  If he doesn't play playoff game, he loses all that respect he got back. 

I just don't see any way this happens. 
Why would you think there's no way he'd skip a playoff game. He has already demonstrated he doesn't give a sh@@ about anything but staying healthy for next year. Personally I'm hoping he stays out until week 10 & then they let him rot on the bench. But tomlin does the opposite of what makes sense. So hewill put him right back in and watch him tippy toe around trying not to get hurt.

I think it's super interesting.

The logical thing is for him to not play. Why would he? He's not playing now for $850,000 per game. Why would he risk injury for $30,000 per game? Sitting out makes complete financial sense.

It's the same argument you see from college players skipping the bowl game as they enter the draft.

The other side is there are lots of people who cannot fathom an NFL player skipping the postseason because it doesn't make financial sense. 
I don't think the logical thing is to not play.  He's not doing a calculation of dollars per touch. He's just understandably trying to avoid going on the market with 400 touches in back years.

Other agents would love to convince him to skip the playoffs, because the bogeyman of a holdout would increase tenfold if he did and still got a big contract afterwards.  This would be an incredible precedent for them when bargaining for future clients and for the nflpa when bargaining to overhaul the franchise tag rules.  

But his agent, Adisa Bakari, knows that Bell's next contract not only represents millions of dollars of commission, but a huge turning point in his own career.  If bell gets paid, other players looking down the barrel of the franchise tag will sign with him to credibly threaten to do the same thing.  If bell doesn't get paid, this could crush his career. Bell is by far his biggest profile client. 

Holding out has a precedent.  Teams won't like it but they wouldn't have liked paying a player with historic wear on his tires either.  But doing unprecedented things that hurt your team to get more money - that's risky business.  And it's not a risk Bakari or Bell can afford to take. 

The steelers can't mess around either.  They can't rescind the tag, or suspend him, or act like he's the backup to Conner now because Conner is so much better. Pittsburgh is currently winless at 0-1-1 with a division tie and a conference loss against a likely playoff team.  They finish the season with the Jaguars, Broncos, chargers, raiders, Patriots, saints and bengals. As much as they'd love to stick it to him, they badly need bell if they want to make the playoffs. And missing the playoffs would be an unmitigated disaster. Every good player would threaten holdout. The locker room is already a mess. Just a nightmare in so many ways. 

The players may be upset with him, but what are they going to do?  By that point they'll need him as much as he needs them. 

So ultimately I see both sides day dreaming about doing terrible things to each other, but doing exactly what's expected. He'll show up week ten, make amends with his teammates as best he can, and get on with trying to make the playoffs as a team. 

The one thing that could change it is if the steelers go on a long undefeated streak and decide not to mess with the chemistry, or if they're out of the playoffs and don't need him for half a year.  In the former case, bell might not come back as the starter, so there's no reason to skip the playoffs.  In the latter he might not come back at all. 

Deamon said:
We've never seen a player not play in playoffs, and we never will.

That's true in the nfl, but we've seen players skip bowl games before going to the nfl. It's not completely off the table, i just don't think it's a risk bell or his agent can take. 

Steeler said:
Yeah, Bell usually leads the team in tackles so the defense is really suffering without him :lol:
The steelers never led against the chiefs but they might have if they had bell, and they could have controlled the clock a lot more with a better running game.

The browns game ended in a tie. Conner played well but it's not unrealistic to think bell would have helped them get a closer field goal attempt in the rain. 

The locker room was making public comments about bell, their best offensive player just said trade me, and Tomlin is putting out fires when he should be game planning. I can't say for certain they'd be 2-0 with bell but i can confidently say that this is hurting the team. 

The steelers never led against the chiefs but they might have if they had bell, and they could have controlled the clock a lot more with a better running game.
Bell is better than Conner.  The Steelers would be a better team with Bell.  Those two facts are meaningless to the Steeler's record.  Correlation != causation.

Bell is better than Conner.  The Steelers would be a better team with Bell.  Those two facts are meaningless to the Steeler's record.  Correlation != causation.
The quality of a football team does not have a causal relationship with winning football games? Huh.

Joe you forgot to add how much money would LeVeon lose by sitting out a playoff game because that would be a consideration for any GM/owner/HC pursuing him next off-season.

What?  I'm saying Bell's absence is not the reason the Steelers are winless so far.
You don’t know that. But that’s not really my point.

Your correlation/causation statement is really odd, given that you’ve granted Bell makes the team better. Being a better team obviously has an impact on the outcome of football games. 

Your correlation/causation statement is really odd, given that you’ve granted Bell makes the team better. Being a better team obviously has an impact on the outcome of football games. 
Makes sense to me because nobody can proove Bell being absent is the reason the Steelers are winless. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is obviously never going to happen. He'd be breaching his contract if he sat out playoff games(because he'd be under contract when he comes back)

If Bell were to do this, his career is over. No team in the NFL would want anything to do with a guy skipping a playoff game. Forget 15 million a year, league minimum would be too much.

This is obviously never going to happen. He'd be breaching his contract if he sat out playoff games(because he'd be under contract when he comes back)

If Bell were to do this, his career is over. No team in the NFL would want anything to do with a guy skipping a playoff game. Forget 15 million a year, league minimum would be too much.
I agree on principal. I wouldn't let the guy wash jock straps for my football team. But I'm just a jamoke sitting in my living room and nobody's asking me to coach their NFL team (although the mail hasn't come yet today). But some coach who wants to keep his job and an owner who wants the ultimate prize, will pony up. Team "Chemistry" be damned. If someday someone says that the only reason that guy coached a Super Bowl is because he caved his principals and played the ultimate me first guy (Reminds me of the Terrible Terry Tate Tate response to "There's no I in team". "There's no we either").

BTW, where did the Week 10 number come from?

I'd like to see the premium on his insurance should he decide to hold out all season then play in a wild card game.

That's true in the nfl, but we've seen players skip bowl games before going to the nfl. It's not completely off the table, i just don't think it's a risk bell or his agent can take. 
Not bowl games that matter. Not national championship games or playoff games in the new system.

Wow. I didn't know that! So if he skips the whole season, it's rinse and repeat this same scenario next year?  
Technically i think the steelers would have to offer him the tag again. If he skipped the season they might not want to pay him again. 

Users who are viewing this thread