What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The backup running backs starting this week. (1 Viewer)

Hilts

Footballguy
If you went zero rb or are suffering from injuries/holdouts/suspensions, you might be lucky enough to be starting Gio, Murray, and Clement. Everyone else has some hard decisions to make as all three look like appealing matchups.

Who are you guys playing from this group and who are you benching? If you have all 3 how are you ranking them? 

If you went zero rb or are suffering from injuries/holdouts/suspensions, you might be lucky enough to be starting Gio, Murray, and Clement. Everyone else has some hard decisions to make as all three look like appealing matchups.

Who are you guys playing from this group and who are you benching? If you have all 3 how are you ranking them? 
Wish I had one of those guys on a team I drafted in early June; Bell, D Freeman, McCoy, Kerryon, Spoles. Was able land Ito Smith this week.

FWIW, I also drafted Edelman, Alshon and Greg Olsen on that team. So I got that going for me.

starting Murray, have Burkhead also but Murray vs Buffalo looks too good to pass up. Bernard has a knee issue of his own though he practiced in full yesterday and I saw Clement was just added to the injury list with a questionable tag today, listed with a quad issue. News says he was limited as a precaution and should be fine for Sunday.

For this week I would say all three are equal, with Murray having the best matchup and the other two probably getting more touches than Murray.

starting Murray, have Burkhead also but Murray vs Buffalo looks too good to pass up. Bernard has a knee issue of his own though he practiced in full yesterday and I saw Clement was just added to the injury list with a questionable tag today, listed with a quad issue. News says he was limited as a precaution and should be fine for Sunday.

For this week I would say all three are equal, with Murray having the best matchup and the other two probably getting more touches than Murray.
I think Clement maybe being hurt pushes him to last. I like Murray against Buffalo - they're just so awful. Who is going to take his touches? Or are they just going to pass a lot more and never take a lead or run out the clock? 

This thread was made for me... My team has:

Tevin Coleman vs. NO

Matt Brieda @ KC

Latavius Murray vs. BUF

my other RBs are Lamar Miller vs. NYG and Chris Carson vs. DAL. I can only start 3 and because of the high scoring nature of the games I'm rolling out with the Top 3.

EDIT: Just wanted to add the order is because that's me ranking them. I already posted the Tevin Coleman breakdown in his thread last week (one TD or 100 Rushing yards) and he gets the Saints in a shootout. Brieda will have positive game flow all day as the Niners will need to pass to keep up with KC, and KC's D is turrible. Murray won't break big runs and gets what is blocked, but you're looking at a legit chance of 25 touches (yes, he can catch a ball or two) vs. a Buffalo team that should be relegated to the Big 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Clement maybe being hurt pushes him to last. I like Murray against Buffalo - they're just so awful. Who is going to take his touches? Or are they just going to pass a lot more and never take a lead or run out the clock?
Some combination of Mike Boone and Roc Thomas could get work. But Boone is dealing with an apparent groin injury and I expect Murray to quite easily see 20+ touches. I guess C.J. Ham could get some work as well, he's flashed from time to time.

I have kind of had my eye on Boone every since I saw Cook go down late vs. GB but this Sunday should be the Murray show. 

Oooh forgot about the Vikes playing Buff. Would def go Gio > Murray > Clement. 

And I own none of them anywhere  :(

Here's a bit of a scary thought: If the Vikes are winning 24 to 28-0 early in the 3rd quarter... do they take Murray out? We've seen them be untrustworthy regarding injuries this week ("Dalvin Cook is fine" or "Oh he just cramped up he'll play"), maybe we see some Mike Boone/Roc Thomas then, which would absolutely hurt some of Murray's appeal. The one counter to this argument I'll add is this... both guys are smallish at 5'10 and aren't exactly grinders when you want to run out the clock.

Here's a bit of a scary thought: If the Vikes are winning 24 to 28-0 early in the 3rd quarter... do they take Murray out? We've seen them be untrustworthy regarding injuries this week ("Dalvin Cook is fine" or "Oh he just cramped up he'll play"), maybe we see some Mike Boone/Roc Thomas then, which would absolutely hurt some of Murray's appeal. The one counter to this argument I'll add is this... both guys are smallish at 5'10 and aren't exactly grinders when you want to run out the clock.
https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1043198159080615936

If you are worried about starting a RB on a team you project to be winning 24-0 or 28-0 in the third, this hobby is probably not for you.  

One small legaue I'm in I have them all LOL. It's standard so I'm leaning Murray. I love Clement in PPR. I also have both Clement and Gio in another non-PPR and I'm kinda cooling on Gio even though earlier this week I was excited. In that league I could play Golloday over both...

One small legaue I'm in I have them all LOL. It's standard so I'm leaning Murray. I love Clement in PPR. I also have both Clement and Gio in another non-PPR and I'm kinda cooling on Gio even though earlier this week I was excited. In that league I could play Golloday over both...
A guy in one of my leagues went zero rb but managed to grab all 3 of these guys and is starting them all this week. Lord have mercy on his opponent who thankfully isn't me, because his team was scary with no backs. Adding these guys just seems unfair. 

Murray availalbe...but giving up potential for possibly one week and a cuff is my problem.

Barber, Michel, R. Freeman, Lindsay (not dropping DJ or Collins).  Or give up on WR depth that would get snatched right away and is needed with already having Baldwin on the shelf (Goodwin, K. Cole...Agholor and OBJ not dropping).

Murray availalbe...but giving up potential for possibly one week and a cuff is my problem.

Barber, Michel, R. Freeman, Lindsay (not dropping DJ or Collins).  Or give up on WR depth that would get snatched right away and is needed with already having Baldwin on the shelf (Goodwin, K. Cole...Agholor and OBJ not dropping).
Hamstring injuries can linger so there is always a possibility Cook is out longer.  But they have BUF, at Rams, at Eagles, Cardinals next four weeks.  Those two away games will be tough so good chance you only get one good game of value before Cook returns/next easy matchup.

I would personally pick up Murray for Goodwin or maybe Agholor (Jordan Matthews is back moving Agholor out of the slot where he had a lot of success and Jeffery should also return soon).  That's a lot of targets to lose.  Goodwin's success last year really peaked with Garçon being injured.

If Cook can't stay healthy, Murray showed he can be a top five back (as he ended last year) on a team with good QB play and defense -> lots of favorable scripts 

Barber, Michel, R. Freeman, Lindsay (not dropping DJ or Collins). Or give up on WR depth that would get snatched right away and is needed with already having Baldwin on the shelf (Goodwin, K. Cole...Agholor and OBJ not dropping).
You definitely need to weigh the possibility that Murray becomes more than just a week 3 spot start.

I won't pretend to know the exact odds but there is obviously a non-zero chance that Cook's injury lingers, becomes worse or leads to an overcompensation injury. And these odds are likely greater than they would be for an average player who isn't fresh off of a serious knee injury. I know Cook was working with trainers and moving around on the injury during practice this week, so it doesn't seem like it's super serious but I kind of treat all these situations similarly.

Not only are players like Murray, Coleman, Gio, Clement and etc. now on my radar as possible long-term options/trade targets but I'm also looking at Boone/Thomas, Ito Smith, Walton, Smallwood/Adams in deeper leagues as players who can potentially provide legitimate value down the line as well. The RB landscape tends to change in an instant.

FWIW, Clement added to injury report today with a quad.  Now Q.

Hopefully nothing, but you might want to get on the Josh Adams Express.

well, i guess it would be smallwood first, but Adams still worth watching.

Starting Gio confidently over Derrick Henry in the two leagues where I have him.  Missed out on Clement by a couple bucks in the one league I own Ajayi, still kicking myself for trying to be frugal with FAAB.  Own Cook in one league so time to fire up Collins as my RB2, yippee!!  Praying for a short TD to salvage his line

This thread was made for me... My team has:

Tevin Coleman vs. NO

Matt Brieda @ KC

Latavius Murray vs. BUF

my other RBs are Lamar Miller vs. NYG and Chris Carson vs. DAL. I can only start 3 and because of the high scoring nature of the games I'm rolling out with the Top 3.

EDIT: Just wanted to add the order is because that's me ranking them. I already posted the Tevin Coleman breakdown in his thread last week (one TD or 100 Rushing yards) and he gets the Saints in a shootout. Brieda will have positive game flow all day as the Niners will need to pass to keep up with KC, and KC's D is turrible. Murray won't break big runs and gets what is blocked, but you're looking at a legit chance of 25 touches (yes, he can catch a ball or two) vs. a Buffalo team that should be relegated to the Big 12.
of the three, I would pick Murray last..that Minnesota offensive game plan just does NOT seem to include RB's, on a good day up by 21 pts, they'll still pass to WRs and TEs. 

I was not a Breida guy, but he has one of the better run blocking units in the NFL going against one of the worst defenses in the NFL..dont over think this...whats the best way to stop Mahomes ? use a strong run again against the Chiefs, keep PM on the sidelines, keep chewing up first downs eat the clock long drives etc...

Coleman will have a field day vs. N.O. he's a must start.

Struggling for my RB2.....

Like many others, I lost Ajayi & Cook this week. Left with Royce Freeman as my starter along side Kamara.  Had a choice of Gore or Smallwood. 

Went Smallwood. With Wentz back, I expect more run control offense with Indy missing key DL.  

I’d drop Barber.

Starting Gio confidently over Derrick Henry in the two leagues where I have him.  Missed out on Clement by a couple bucks in the one league I own Ajayi, still kicking myself for trying to be frugal with FAAB.

You will be glad you have the extra FAAB later on in the season.  Its only week two, going into week three.

In week 10-11, you will be happy you have the extra cash to spend, while the other owners are scrounging for whatever their $5 bids can get.

Also - Why didn't you get Clement at the tail end of your draft, when you know Ajayi has degenerative knee problems that aren't going away any time soon?   I was never getting Ajayi anywhere, but had I been stuck with him, I would have gotten Clement late if I did.  I don't try and handcuff/lock up EVERY backfield, but this was one I knew going into the season I was going to handcuff had I gotten stuck with Ajayi.

And for kicks, I was massively high on Mixon this year.  But in the one league I got him, I also snagged Bernard.

TZM

of the three, I would pick Murray last..that Minnesota offensive game plan just does NOT seem to include RB's, on a good day up by 21 pts, they'll still pass to WRs and TEs. 

I was not a Breida guy, but he has one of the better run blocking units in the NFL going against one of the worst defenses in the NFL..dont over think this...whats the best way to stop Mahomes ? use a strong run again against the Chiefs, keep PM on the sidelines, keep chewing up first downs eat the clock long drives etc...

Coleman will have a field day vs. N.O. he's a must start.
Vikings fan here - not sure the bolder will be correct long term. 

I am all aboard the L-Train this week.  I think he will be a top 5 RB. 

IMO Although Tevin Coleman may get the lions share of carries, I expect Ito Smith to "eato" significantly into those opportunities.

I think that Gio has a matchup problem this week. 

I am all aboard the L-Train this week.  I think he will be a top 5 RB. 

IMO Although Tevin Coleman may get the lions share of carries, I expect Ito Smith to "eato" significantly into those opportunities.

I think that Gio has a matchup problem this week. 
Think that’s a bit optimistic but have him in a FD lineup so hope you’re right ;)

So now I’m reading that Gio may have a minor injury and could be sharing the backfield with Walton. May want to temper expectations. 

So Clement hurt, Gio hurt and sharing - I guess that makes Murray the play by default. 

Think that’s a bit optimistic but have him in a FD lineup so hope you’re right ;)
Who on Buffalo's defense is going to stop those animals on that offensive line?  I think Minnesota has them out gunned.  and then who else is Minnesota handing the ball to with Cook out?

This is both a volume match-up and personnel match-up that I am exploiting everywhere I have Latavius Murray.

Elevencents said:
So now I’m reading that Gio may have a minor injury and could be sharing the backfield with Walton. May want to temper expectations. 

So Clement hurt, Gio hurt and sharing - I guess that makes Murray the play by default. 
He fully practiced yesterday. If he's hurt it definitely seems we should emphasize the minor part. 

mr roboto said:
Vikings fan here - not sure the bolder will be correct long term. 
It wasn't correct in the first place.

Davlin Cook has 26 rushing attempts and 12 targets in two games. That is 36 opportunities and he is 3rd on the team in targets. 

Murray has 15 rushing attempts no targets so far. Still he has had more opportunity than any other Vikings player besides Cook, Theilen and Diggs. With Cook out, his opportunities are obviously going up.

Mike Boone and Roc Thomas were inactive for the first two games. Zimmer said both will be active for this game. I think Boone is a better overall RB who can catch the ball run inside the tackles, block and break tackles. Roc Thomas is more of COP with good burst and some moves in space.

Boone is more similar to Murray in play style than Thomas, so it might be Thomas playing more in relief of Murray. Also Boone is listed as questionable with a groin injury, so maybe they won't use Boone much because of this.

Both of these guys can catch and Murray can catch. Some are predicting a blow out for the Vikings as the Bills are in disarray, while I think that would be great if it happens, I am not counting on it. If that does happen though, then Boone and/or Thomas should get some playing time in this game. Both are good players, too good to risk them being swooped up by other teams, so the Vikings kept 5 RB (including Ham) instead of 6 WR. The Vikings just cut Coley and Treadwell has a broken finger.

Just no reason to think the RB will not be utilized as receivers, and targets to WR may actually be scaling back in this game.

Not true of Mike Boone. Might be true of Roc Thomas.

Committee until Roc establishes himself as the man ?

probably a committee with no real winner for this year. 

SameSongNDance said:
You definitely need to weigh the possibility that Murray becomes more than just a week 3 spot start.

I won't pretend to know the exact odds but there is obviously a non-zero chance that Cook's injury lingers, becomes worse or leads to an overcompensation injury. And these odds are likely greater than they would be for an average player who isn't fresh off of a serious knee injury. I know Cook was working with trainers and moving around on the injury during practice this week, so it doesn't seem like it's super serious but I kind of treat all these situations similarly.

Not only are players like Murray, Coleman, Gio, Clement and etc. now on my radar as possible long-term options/trade targets but I'm also looking at Boone/Thomas, Ito Smith, Walton, Smallwood/Adams in deeper leagues as players who can potentially provide legitimate value down the line as well. The RB landscape tends to change in an instant.
I really like Ito Smith. Nice to see him get some good opportunities with Freeman out. For dynasty I think he is talented enough to emerge if they let Coleman walk in free agency next year that Smith could take his role in the offense.

Seems like Latavius is an obvious top 12 RB start this week. 

Or am I over thinking it? Might start him over David Johnson against that Chicago D.

Users who are viewing this thread