What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy value of 49ers after Jimmy G Injury (1 Viewer)

Arodin

Footballguy
Sadly, it seems Jimmy G. is lost for the season, leavign CJ Beathard ready to step up.

I'm thinking this downgrades pretty much everybody on the 49ers roster, but how much?

Goodwin still startable as a flex?  Is Kittle going to hold value as a TE1?  Does this actually help Breida as a checkdown back?

What are your thoughts?

Kittle had a huge game ruined by holding on the last drive (with Beathard in), should have ended up with 90ish and a td plus the 2 point conversion. I think he's a hold, the rest, not so much.

Matt Breida's outlook doesn't change much. He'll get dinks and dunks as a receiver and his workload should be more consistent because Niners will be behind all the time now. Hurts Morris a lot more.

Sadly, it seems Jimmy G. is lost for the season, leavign CJ Beathard ready to step up.

I'm thinking this downgrades pretty much everybody on the 49ers roster, but how much?

Goodwin still startable as a flex?  Is Kittle going to hold value as a TE1?  Does this actually help Breida as a checkdown back?

What are your thoughts?
I wouldn't touch any of them now except for Kittle and that would just be as a bye-week TE for now.

I have Breida on one team, Kittle on another. I'm holding for now, and will probably continue to start both until it's conclusively proven that they're no good with CJ. Some of that is simply a lack of options (Kittle is my only TE in a 14-teamer). But I could see them continue to produce value.

The rest of the offense, not so much.

Full disclosure I know nothing about Beathard but it’s obviously a hold for at least a couple games to see what happens. No one is gonna take them off your hands now anyway. 

They gonna trade for someone imo. Tyrod most likely. Maybe Teddy if he doesnt wanna sign in NO to be a backup for a couple more seasons. Raiders could parlay McCarron maybe. Either way, Beathard is not the answer if they think they are competitive this season

I'm looking back at game logs. They were pretty bad with Beathard under center, looks like they struggled to score more than 10 points a game.

Goodwin and Hyde kind of stick out as his favorite targets.

That's all I got. 

They gonna trade for someone imo. Tyrod most likely. Maybe Teddy if he doesnt wanna sign in NO to be a backup for a couple more seasons. Raiders could parlay McCarron maybe. Either way, Beathard is not the answer if they think they are competitive this season
It'll be interesting to see what they do.  I honestly don't think they're capable of being very competitive the rest of the season.  You lose you starting RB and your starting QB.  Rams look like the best team in the league, so you're vying for a wildcard spot most likely.  It's possible, but you can't feel overly confident about a big run at this point. 

Ride Beathard, get a better draft pick.  Come into 2019 with your running back and QB healthy.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.  I honestly don't think they're capable of being very competitive the rest of the season.  You lose you starting RB and your starting QB.  Rams look like the best team in the league, so you're vying for a wildcard spot most likely.  It's possible, but you can't feel overly confident about a big run at this point. 

Ride Beathard, get a better draft pick.  Come into 2019 with your running back and QB healthy.
I agree, they are not in reality competitive. Def not winning the west.

But I think if they can at least look like theyre trying to win, that will be more acceptable to the fan base. Putting Beathard out there is outright giving up. I dont think they wanna give that impression. But maybe, who knows

Maybe it was better early season health or rookie wall but Kittle was actually better early in 2017 with Hoyer as his QB then late in the season with Jimmy G. He was at this lowest output levels with Beathard was his QB fact they have connection as college teammates really think that Kittle is looking at no drop off.

Feel about same way for the RB's , no noticeable drop off.

I might normally say Garcon stands to gain since he and Jimmy G did not have a big connection but Garcon might just be to old or slow.

I pretty much have everyone but Goodwin as maintaining the status quo.

Garçon was fantasy worthy IIRC. So was Hyde due to RB targets. I don’t think Beathard was as bad as some other QB’s around the league. Obviously they saw something in him. Maybe with a year of development he can keep some of these guys afloat.

Only own one share of Goodwin.  See myself dropping soon quite frankly.  

Jimmy going down sucks for real football. That div is a gong show now. 

Maybe it was better early season health or rookie wall but Kittle was actually better early in 2017 with Hoyer as his QB then late in the season with Jimmy G. He was at this lowest output levels with Beathard was his QB fact they have connection as college teammates really think that Kittle is looking at no drop off.

Feel about same way for the RB's , no noticeable drop off.

I might normally say Garcon stands to gain since he and Jimmy G did not have a big connection but Garcon might just be to old or slow.

I pretty much have everyone but Goodwin as maintaining the status quo.
Looking back at Beathard's rookie year stats, he was throwing for about the same yardage as Garoppolo was this year (both around 240 yards per game). He may have a few more int's and a few less TDs, but I prefer him over going out and getting Tyrod or McCarron for draft picks. He can run around out there and understands the system, I would actually expect a little improvement in his 2nd year. He won't be great, but I don't expect a total collapse of the offense. Really, it's not like Garoppolo was setting the world on fire out there this year. Play out the season, get the young guys some playing time and come back with Garoppolo and McKinnon next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re already 1-2 in a stacked NFC, by the time they trade for some one and he learns the offense it’s likely too late. Their long term wagon is obviously already hitched to Garappolo. They’ll ride out Beathard and hope for the best.

They’re already 1-2 in a stacked NFC, by the time they trade for some one and he learns the offense it’s likely too late. Their long term wagon is obviously already hitched to Garappolo. They’ll ride out Beathard and hope for the best.
Ya, I agree. Theyre not good. They werent good with jimmy, they will be worse without. They currently have their first 4 picks, so its totally possible they would effectively tank.

My thought process wasnt that they would go looking for competition for Jimmy. Tyrod is UFA next year and presumably wants to play and/or audition for his next team/deal. Teddy is not under contract beyond this year yet, he is in the same boat id imagine. The saints would have to sign him sometime this year id think, unless he wants to sit more. Anywho, I was thinking they would at least want it to look like they tried, but maybe not. We will see. Id think whatever is going to play out would do so by this week or next.

Didn't realize that Beathard and Kittle played together at Iowa. I guess if you play the chemistry angle, it may indeed not be so bad for Kittle's fantasy prospects.

I seem to remember that Kittle languished at Iowa with Beathard under center.  Beathard just didn’t throw to the TE.  Might have my timeline wrong though.

This is undeniably what they should do, but they've already shown they don't value draft picks so I wouldn't bet against them doing something foolish like trading for Bradford or Tyrod. I'm honestly surprised they didn't trade for a running back after McKinnon went down. Breida and Morris are both bad pass catchers. 

I seem to remember that Kittle languished at Iowa with Beathard under center.  Beathard just didn’t throw to the TE.  Might have my timeline wrong though.
Might be right - I honestly didn't follow then. Anyway, whatever happened in college - good and bad - is probably not overly relevant at this stage. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread