Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Mr. Ham

Work Travel Guys

1 hour ago, Sand said:

You poor bastard.  That sounds horrid.

Yeah, it's a rough life. Did I mention that for all but the first trip, I get to take my dad with me? Just booked the hotel in Vegas to stay at the night we land and rented a car for the drive from Vegas to Bryce. Not a bad way to make a living. 

I’m 5 nights away from Hilton Gold, I don’t have any work travel scheduled the rest of this year. I can probably get a couple/few personal nights around holidays visiting family but not sure I can get 5 more without booking just for the sake of earning nights. Is it worth booking a night or two before the year ends just to get Gold? Find the cheapest place possible for a night or two? Right now, I’d predict next year I will probably book 30ish nights both work and personal that could all be at Gold if I get 5 nights the rest of this year. 

Gonna hit 100K on United. Should get 1K but right now I’m $3K short on premier qualifying dollars.  70 segments and never buy that cheapo economy fare. Couple first class spends as well including Europe. 

Total BS

I wish I had statuses.  Just have Marriott Bonvoy.  Kinda stupid.

Edited by Otis

3 hours ago, dgreen said:

I’m 5 nights away from Hilton Gold, I don’t have any work travel scheduled the rest of this year. I can probably get a couple/few personal nights around holidays visiting family but not sure I can get 5 more without booking just for the sake of earning nights. Is it worth booking a night or two before the year ends just to get Gold? Find the cheapest place possible for a night or two? Right now, I’d predict next year I will probably book 30ish nights both work and personal that could all be at Gold if I get 5 nights the rest of this year. 

My guess is “no” but Id wait for someone else to weigh in.  If you arent top level, you really dont get upgraded all that much, if at all

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dgreen said:

There are credit cards you can sign up for which will give you Gold status at a price that will end up being less than those combined nightly rates once you add in the value of the other sign up bonuses.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dgreen said:

I find hotel status not really worth much. If you want it would get a Hilton card that gives you the status and then push Hilton purchases onto that card. You can rack up a lot of points that way.

I will say that Hilton Gold (mid level status) is better than equivalent status at Marriott and other programs but so easy to get through card I wouldn’t do extra stay route.

ETA - Hilton card that will get you status and also has pretty good signup bonus going right now - https://card.americanexpress.com/m/card/hilton-honors-surpass-credit-card/

Edited by Redwes25
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ditka...mike ditka said:

My guess is “no” but Id wait for someone else to weigh in.  If you arent top level, you really dont get upgraded all that much, if at all

Basically you get free breakfast and faster WiFi. If you could really use it personally for a weekend with the wife and get cheap rates than sure. Otherwise Gold is no big deal 

2 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

It’s the best one though. Kills Hilton. 

I am gold at broth Hilton and Marriott and Hilton is better as you get free breakfast at Hilton but not Marriott. Marriott gold is useless. 

Edited by Redwes25

Just finally made the leap and got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.

I’m assuming others here have it. Experiences from those who have/use CSR?

For those who aren’t familiar: 

$450 annual fee but $300 instant travel credit brings it down to $150

50k bonus points for $4k in first 3 months ($750 value)

Other nice (albeit common) perks: 

- Global Entry / TSA Pre credit ($100) 

- Priority Pass Select Card (You + 2 guests free unlimited... better than PP’s $450 plan)

- 3x points on travel/dining/bars and points transfer out to a ton of air/hotel partners. Status with a bunch of car rental places, and a few upmarket hotel lines. Plus all the usual visa infinite purchase and travel protections. 

1 month in and already hit the $300 rebate and have interview set for Global Entry. $4k/50k bonus points will be easy. Look forward to using PP in FLL in the way back from a family cruise in 2 weeks for breakfast/drinks.

So far I’m a fan. Others? 

Edited by [icon]

5 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Basically you get free breakfast and faster WiFi. If you could really use it personally for a weekend with the wife and get cheap rates than sure. Otherwise Gold is no big deal 

You also get an 80% points bonus with Gold and it’s 20% with Silver. I estimate that that bump next year would get me maybe 30,000 more points so not really worth booking an extra night or two this year just to reach gold status. 

2 hours ago, [icon] said:

For those who aren’t familiar: 

$450 annual fee but $300 instant travel credit brings it down to $150

50k bonus points for $4k in first 3 months ($750 value)

Other nice (albeit common) perks: 

- Global Entry / TSA Pre credit ($100) 

- Priority Pass Select Card (You + 2 guests free unlimited... better than PP’s $450 plan)

- 3x points on travel/dining/bars and points transfer out to a ton of air/hotel partners. Status with a bunch of car rental places, and a few upmarket hotel lines. Plus all the usual visa infinite purchase and travel protections. 

1 month in and already hit the $300 rebate and have interview set for Global Entry. $4k/50k bonus points will be easy. Look forward to using PP in FLL in the way back from a family cruise in 2 weeks for breakfast/drinks.

My daily spender right now. I'm in Costa Rica right now staying on points from it and have Belize and T&C trips already booked on points in the next couple months.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

My daily spender right now. I'm in Costa Rica right now staying on points from it and have Belize and T&C trips already booked on points in the next couple months.

😳 Damn! That’s a ####load of points. 

I love the 1.5x points (so 4.5x basically) when booking through their portal. Is it any good? 

Edited by [icon]

49 minutes ago, [icon] said:

😳 Damn! That’s a ####load of points. 

I love the 1.5x points (so 4.5x basically) when booking through their portal. Is it any good? 

I can't complain. I've gotten some awesome places for dirt cheap and I've earned great on business travel.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Otis said:

I wish I had statuses.  Just have Marriott Bonvoy.  Kinda stupid.

They are kind of a monster now since they bought Starwood if you travel a lot. Many hotels to choose from In pretty much every market for all budgets.

Points system is decent although I’m not super familiar with the other big chains so maybe I’m a wrong here 

5 nights in a really, really good place is 200K points which is about 40 nights of points if you are maximizing the system. 

10 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I can't complain. I've gotten some awesome places for dirt cheap and I've earned great on business travel.

I guess I was asking if their portal was priced competitively and had a full spectrum of options? 

4 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

I am gold at broth Hilton and Marriott and Hilton is better as you get free breakfast at Hilton but not Marriott. Marriott gold is useless. 

50 nights a year gets you access to the lounges at Marriott I believe. They can differ greatly in quality (some are pretty awful even at nice hotels) but they have breakfast, snacks throughout the day, and dinners in those. 

If you know you are going to travel a good bit within a 90-day window, you can sign up for the Marriott Platinum Challenge. 16 nights in 90 days. It's not really that difficult. I would have ended this year at Platinum anyway but by doing the Platinum Challenge, I was able to get to it a couple months earlier than if I would have not done the challenge. Access to the Concierge Level/Lounge and M Club is totally worth it. Especially in the renovated hotels. 

To initiate, simply call Marriott Rewards customer service at 801-468-4000 and select whether you’d like to challenge for Gold or Platinum (which must be done at the time of registration). You then have 90 days to complete:

8 nights for Gold

16 nights for Platinum

Note that many reports indicate that the 90-day window doesn’t begin until the first day of the month following your enrollment. As a result, if you enroll on August 2, 2019, you’ll likely have until November 30, 2019 to complete the night requirements — though be sure to verify this with the agent when you call. There is no cost to undertake the challenge, and you generally will not receive status until your challenge is complete. In addition, only paid nights count.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I guess I was asking if their portal was priced competitively and had a full spectrum of options? 

From what I've seen the better value options sell out quicker vs. other avenues but are competitive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The General said:

50 nights a year gets you access to the lounges at Marriott I believe. They can differ greatly in quality (some are pretty awful even at nice hotels) but they have breakfast, snacks throughout the day, and dinners in those. 

50 stays at Marriott is platinum status not gold so you aren’t comparing apples to apples.  Mid level status at Hilton (gold) gets you breakfast but same status at Marriott you don’t get breakfast.  Takes 20 stays at Hilton or paying 95 a year on a card to get gold at Hilton.  You get top level status at both you get lounge access at their respective hotels.

Both programs have their benefits (Marriot has fixed resort charge for redemptions vs dynamic at Hilton, which is plus for Marriot) but Hilton has the best mid-tier status. 

Edited by Redwes25
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Get chase freedom unlimited card as well, which has no fee. Gets you 1.5 points on all spending so use it for non-travel/dinning spending (1.5 points per dollar) and use CSR for dinning and travel spending (3 points per dollar). Big benefit is you can then transfer points from chase freedom unlimited to your chase sapphire card and use for travel etc. (including redemption on their portal at 1 point equaling 1.5 cents).  It is only a few more points but doesn’t cost you anything since freedom is no fee..

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, [icon] said:

Their portal is run by Expedia so basically matches what you would find there. 

• Like 2

I currently do: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3% travel / dining / bars

Costco Citi: 4% Gas / 2% Costco 

BOA Cash Rewards: 3% Bonus category chosen is Online Shopping  (Amazon + .coms) + 2% Groceries & Sams Club

Edited by [icon]

58 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

50 stays at Marriott is platinum status not gold so you aren’t comparing apples to apples.  Mid level status at Hilton (gold) gets you breakfast but same status at Marriott you don’t get breakfast.  Takes 20 stays at Hilton or paying 95 a year on a card to get gold at Hilton.  You get top level status at both you get lounge access at their respective hotels.

Both programs have their benefits (Marriot has fixed resort charge for redemptions vs dynamic at Hilton, which is plus for Marriot) but Hilton has the best mid-tier status. 

Just a note about lounges at Hilton - most Hiltons are getting rid of the lounges. I'm a Diamond and I recall the last several Hiltons not having them. They just give you the breakfast. Had free buffet at Hilton Riverside last stay in New Orleans - real good one. The surpass card is the way to go - if you spend 40K you get free diamond. And with that you get a ton of bonus points for each stay.

As a Diamond I got the most beautiful enormous suite at the Waldorf Roosevelt for a week during Jazzfest in New Orleans. Also have had some sweet rooms in Hawaii and Chicago. And I've had plenty of times without an upgrade. 

Getting a card that gets you a lot of free rooms is better than a card for air travel. At a nice resort the points are paying for a $300+ room most of the time with little to no blackout times. I always find using miles as a PITA to go when I want to go and if you know you are heading somewhere you can buy that ticket for a decent price. 

Edited by ffldrew

8 hours ago, Redwes25 said:

Hilton lost me forever (I own 2 of their timeshares, lifetime Gold, sometimes Diamond) with their variable points shift a few years. 50K rooms in desirable places would all of a sudden be 165K. Per night. BS. Never get shafted like that with Marriott. More brands. I carry both a Hilton AmEx surpass card and Chase Marriott Bonvoy Sapphire I believe. 

7 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Hilton lost me forever (I own 2 of their timeshares, lifetime Gold, sometimes Diamond) with their variable points shift a few years. 50K rooms in desirable places would all of a sudden be 165K. Per night. BS. Never get shafted like that with Marriott. More brands. I carry both a Hilton AmEx surpass card and Chase Marriott Bonvoy Sapphire I believe. 

Yup that is real benefit of Marriott though what I really miss is Starwood. They had the best program and the best card tied to it. 

Hyatt seems like a good program but they don’t seem to have enough hotels to go all in for them. 

1 hour ago, Redwes25 said:

Yup that is real benefit of Marriott though what I really miss is Starwood. They had the best program and the best card tied to it. 

Hyatt seems like a good program but they don’t seem to have enough hotels to go all in for them. 

I really miss Starwood.  I guess I'll stick with Bonvoy, for lack of better options. 

11 hours ago, ffldrew said:

Just a note about lounges at Hilton - most Hiltons are getting rid of the lounges. I'm a Diamond and I recall the last several Hiltons not having them. They just give you the breakfast. Had free buffet at Hilton Riverside last stay in New Orleans - real good one. The surpass card is the way to go - if you spend 40K you get free diamond. And with that you get a ton of bonus points for each stay.

As a Diamond I got the most beautiful enormous suite at the Waldorf Roosevelt for a week during Jazzfest in New Orleans. Also have had some sweet rooms in Hawaii and Chicago. And I've had plenty of times without an upgrade. 

Getting a card that gets you a lot of free rooms is better than a card for air travel. At a nice resort the points are paying for a $300+ room most of the time with little to no blackout times. I always find using miles as a PITA to go when I want to go and if you know you are heading somewhere you can buy that ticket for a decent price. 

Only place I would disagree is if you are flying international and value business/first class.  The mileage value on a First Class international flight can't be beat.

BTW, heading to Vegas today, I'm Delta Diamond (125K + qualifying miles per year)...15th on the upgrade list.  Atlanta is the worst for Delta upgrades.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djmich said:

Atlanta is the worst for Delta upgrades.

Because they are automatic. Everyone automatically gets on the list. At least with American you have to use upgrade vouchers so it somewhat limits it. 

On 10/26/2019 at 10:29 PM, ffldrew said:

I disagree. Business class for international flights is pricey. I’ve been able to use airline points for my wife and I on three round trip international flights (Copenhagen, Rome, Sydney) and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.

On 10/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, [icon] said:

I've had it since it came out.  Primary rental car coverage is a huge plus.  Always use it for that. Never had to use the trip coverage, but that's also a big plus.  The clubs are pretty limited in the US, though I've used them in Atlanta, DC and LAX.  Came in real handy overseas - finding a place for wifi access in the Istanbul airport was a godsend.  

The points are worth a bunch if used right.  I signed up for a number of airfare deal sites (TravelPirates, Scott's Cheap flights, etc.) and have grabbed already cheap flights on points.  Found some flights from ATL-LIH for $375 each.  With the multiplier I spent right at 50k points through the Chase portal - :moneybag:.  Comes to about .03/pt if valuing the flights at the non-sale price.

Edited by Sand
  • Like 1

I mean Hyatt has a smaller portfolio but they're trying...and they have BY FAR the best program and points. I'm Marriott with Ambassador and was trying to get to globalist before year end (but got a local assignment, so no dice). Hyatt was way better service even at their 10-night low one than the 75-night Marriott titanium was.

Trying to decide between norway or Netherlands for work trip in may.

1 hour ago, rascal said:

Trying to decide between norway or Netherlands for work trip in may.

Loved Netherlands (Rotterdam/Amsterdam). Can’t speak to Norway.

Amsterdam is gorgeous though. Rotterdam has some pretty interesting modern architecture but I’d do Amsterdam over it.  

Traveling this week for first time in 11 months.   Nice to have a few days to myself, but I don’t miss doing this #### every other week.  

• Like 2

I've been spoiled lately staying in nice hotels in bigger cities.  

This week I'm at a Hampton Inn in a small town.  The mattress sucks and is making it hard to sleep.  The hotel is also close to the highway so I get to hear highway traffic all night long. 

Yuck.  

Platinum elite on Delta for a few years

Titanium elite Marriott(they keep changing that program)

Super many free nights on National rent a car

When I traveled, boy did the perks really make things easier (adding in TSA precheck as well).

Had multiple vacations completely free---decent amount of first class upgrades..and at platinum I almost always got a delta comfort bump, which meant free drinks and that's all I needed.

Took a job in January that has almost no travel, and no flying at all.  Dropped to Silver on Delta, with no flight miles this year--it makes me sad to open my Delta ap and see I have no points, miles etc..and to know I will just be one of the regular cattle next year--even though I'm no longer flying, it makes me a little sad.   Might not even renew my precheck.   Sigh.  I miss traveling sometimes.  Especially when you have status.

• Sad 1

On 4/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, Sand said:

Your company hates its employees.  I can't think of a more contemptuous thing to inflict on the people you send out to drive your business.

My place is strict about coach tickets only, but they know better than to try and pull this.  

My wifes company books travel for you AND keeps all the miles...You get NOTHING...How wonderful right?  Hotels too..All dtirect bill, so you don't get any points.

Plus, she will put you up wherever she feels like.  You're a Marriott guy? Tough noogies, the Holiday inn express is $10 cheaper so you will be staying there

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

My wifes company books travel for you AND keeps all the miles...You get NOTHING...How wonderful right?  Hotels too..All dtirect bill, so you don't get any points.

Plus, she will put you up wherever she feels like.  You're a Marriott guy? Tough noogies, the Holiday inn express is $10 cheaper so you will be staying there

Our company tried to something akin to this, though we got to keep miles and points (the time involved with our new system makes it an immense money loser).  Biggest issue with your wife is when something goes wrong who has to make the call to change flights, etc.?  

6 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Platinum elite on Delta for a few years

Titanium elite Marriott(they keep changing that program)

Super many free nights on National rent a car

When I traveled, boy did the perks really make things easier (adding in TSA precheck as well).

Had multiple vacations completely free---decent amount of first class upgrades..and at platinum I almost always got a delta comfort bump, which meant free drinks and that's all I needed.

Took a job in January that has almost no travel, and no flying at all.  Dropped to Silver on Delta, with no flight miles this year--it makes me sad to open my Delta ap and see I have no points, miles etc..and to know I will just be one of the regular cattle next year--even though I'm no longer flying, it makes me a little sad.   Might not even renew my precheck.   Sigh.  I miss traveling sometimes.  Especially when you have status.

2 sides to this. My son told me that even though I never missed an event when he grew up, was a very present Dad, coached him for 15 years etc even if it means more money he never wants to travel anywhere close as much as I do. He’s in Sales too so he could make more if he traveled. But I get it.  

On the other hand  that same travel has taken them to Hawaii 4 times, Cabo 3X, San Francisco , New York, Chicago, the Caribbean, London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Florence, Rome, Venice and more. Would have never had that without a) the income that comes with the gig b) miles and points. Taking the whole family to the Big Island and Maui next summer Including my son and our little granddaughter. Flights using points. SUV each week with Hertz points. Two 2 bedroom timeshares with Hilton. 

These trips would be $10-$20+K without points and miles  Points help with having more vacations and life experiences, that’s for sure  I would leave a company that took my miles while I’m living out of a suitcase for them 

15 hours ago, Sand said:

Our company tried to something akin to this, though we got to keep miles and points (the time involved with our new system makes it an immense money loser).  Biggest issue with your wife is when something goes wrong who has to make the call to change flights, etc.?  

Her....thats her full time job

On 11/12/2019 at 10:46 AM, shuke said:

Traveling this week for first time in 11 months.   Nice to have a few days to myself, but I don’t miss doing this #### every other week.  

Hello from Japan for the past week.

Please kill me now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Hello from Japan for the past week.

Please kill me now 

At least several of you travel to exotic locals.

I get my miles and points and nights in wonderful places like Harlingen, Odessa, Amarillo, El Paso.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, matuski said:

At least several of you travel to exotic locals.

I get my miles and points and nights in wonderful places like Harlingen, Odessa, Amarillo, El Paso.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Her....thats her full time job

It's like the people making these policies have no concept of compliance costs.  No different here.  Astonishing.

2 hours ago, matuski said:

I see you and raise you Cleveland, Dayton, Palmdale, and DC.

• Like 2

I think I have a pretty middle-of-the-road work travel experience. Here are my destinations the last 2+ years:

• Minneapolis
  • Dallas
  • Philadelphia
  • St. Louis
  • Montreal
  • Newport News
  • Los Angeles
  • Las Vegas
  • Seattle
  • Providence
  • Boston
  • Los Angeles
  • Louisville
  • Louisville
  • Chicago
  • Boston
  • Mexico City
  • Austin

Tentatively on my calendar for 2020 are New Orleans and Queretaro (Mexico). Never been to New Orleans and never heard of Queretaro; looking forward to both. A potential job change that I'm considering would likely cancel both of those trips for me, though.

There will likely be a few others in 2020 with destinations TBD. I can basically name my own domestic destination (other than Hawaii and Alaska) for some of these trips, which is nice.

3 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Amarillo is ranked way too high here.

• Like 1