Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Mr. Ham

Work Travel Guys

17 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

2 sides to this. My son told me that even though I never missed an event when he grew up, was a very present Dad, coached him for 15 years etc even if it means more money he never wants to travel anywhere close as much as I do. He’s in Sales too so he could make more if he traveled. But I get it.  

On the other hand  that same travel has taken them to Hawaii 4 times, Cabo 3X, San Francisco , New York, Chicago, the Caribbean, London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Florence, Rome, Venice and more. Would have never had that without a) the income that comes with the gig b) miles and points. Taking the whole family to the Big Island and Maui next summer Including my son and our little granddaughter. Flights using points. SUV each week with Hertz points. Two 2 bedroom timeshares with Hilton. 

These trips would be $10-$20+K without points and miles  Points help with having more vacations and life experiences, that’s for sure  I would leave a company that took my miles while I’m living out of a suitcase for them 

I agree 100%. I've always told my folks to make sure they stay at a nice hotel, get a nice steak dinner and a scotch or two, and have a good time in the evenings, when they are on the road. They are sacrificing time away from their faimily and home for the good of the company. The company should bend over backwards to take care of them.

Heck, I even pay the credit card fees so some employees can get the credit card that gets them into the American Airlines lounge when they travel. Money well spent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kutta said:

eck, I even pay the credit card fees so some employees can get the credit card that gets them into the American Airlines lounge when they travel. Money well spent.

You're the real MVP.....

Good on you.

2 hours ago, Sand said:

Amarillo is ranked way too high here.

Quite true.  I spent an entire week in Amarillo one afternoon.

Edited by Ron Swanson
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, kutta said:

I agree 100%. I've always told my folks to make sure they stay at a nice hotel, get a nice steak dinner and a scotch or two, and have a good time in the evenings, when they are on the road.

Right now we're just trying to get management to go with per diem instead of their new "charge actuals up to per diem" scheme.  I'm living in a Dilbert cartoon.

29 minutes ago, Sand said:

Right now we're just trying to get management to go with per diem instead of their new "charge actuals up to per diem" scheme.  I'm living in a Dilbert cartoon.

Years ago our Materials folks got to travel for the first time and turned in huge expense reports. Next week the edict came down that receipts were required for everything.  Next expense report submitted included a raccoon tail and a $0 dinner with a note saying ate road kill.  The receipt requirement was dropped 2 weeks later. 

35 minutes ago, Sand said:

This is why I will never be a part of a public or fund held company. Not specifically per diems but the structure that leads to this kind of thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Years ago our Materials folks got to travel for the first time and turned in huge expense reports. Next week the edict came down that receipts were required for everything.  Next expense report submitted included a raccoon tail and a $0 dinner with a note saying ate road kill.  The receipt requirement was dropped 2 weeks later. 

Gotta like those guys.  In our case we're an office of engineers and are pretty darn cheap - as in we're well below our company's average and the national average for travel costs.  So no ridiculous expenses.  

Who has been to Mexico City? Won’t have a ton of time but should get one day to do stuff. Was looking at the tour out to the Teotihucan  pyramids. 

5 hours ago, The General said:

Who has been to Mexico City? Won’t have a ton of time but should get one day to do stuff. Was looking at the tour out to the Teotihucan  pyramids. 

was there for 8 days 

the pyramids are a full day 

let me know what you are interested in 

14 minutes ago, waiver wire said:

was there for 8 days 

the pyramids are a full day 

let me know what you are interested in 

For sure. I’ll PM you.

I agreed to the promotion I passed on last year.

Back on the road starting March.

Only did 30 overnights last year, and managed to lose all airline status.  Back to square one. 

eta - Somehow Marriott let me keep titanium elite uber whatever.

Edited by matuski

19 hours ago, The General said:

I went three years ago. Site seeing was limited to one evening and then a few hours before needing to get to the airport. Both times just went to the main plaza/square and walked around. Bought some street tacos and churros. 

The Uber rides might have been the highlight. They served as some nice little tours. Still not sure how the drivers didn’t hit any pedestrians. Crazy. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, matuski said:

I agreed to the promotion I passed on last year.

Back on the road starting March.

Only did 30 overnights last year, and managed to lose all airline status.  Back to square one. 

eta - Somehow Marriott let me keep titanium elite uber whatever.

If you have a bunch of travel upcoming call your airline award hotline and ask for a status challenge. Based on how much your spend/fly within a specific time period you'll be fastracked to status again.

Edited by SouthJersey
  • Like 2

Flew from Phoenix to Denver today. Didn’t get the upgrade in advance, but fully expected it at the airport. I arrive and I’m first on the upgrade list. Lady in the lounge says first is checked in full. 🥵

I mope around, get in line to board with group ####### 2, and lo and behold, my name shows up in lights on the upgrade list! Bam!! As I walk through the line she hands me my new boarding pass 😍👊🏽😀

Edited by kutta
  • Like 2

In Boston for a few nights...just got back from the new Wynn playing poker...definitely makes Boston a bit less boring.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:15 AM, The General said:

Frida Kahlo's house, La Casa Azul, is great.  It is the house that she grew up in and lived in as an adult with Diego Rivera.  It is a museum now.  It has a lot of her paintings but it also has a lot of homemade art other than paintings.  It is in the neighborhood of Coyoacan which is a really nice area to walk around in with colonial architecture.  It is a far more attractive and relaxed area than central Mexico City.

Edited by Don Hutson
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 1:32 PM, Senor Schmutzig said:

Because they are automatic. Everyone automatically gets on the list. At least with American you have to use upgrade vouchers so it somewhat limits it. 

Major hubs for airlines are toughest places to get upgrades. For AA, everyone with some status is put on upgrade list. Usually only Exec Platinum or Plat Pro will clear if any there are seats (or the invite only Medallion status).

1 hour ago, Phil Elliott said:

Major hubs for airlines are toughest places to get upgrades. For AA, everyone with some status is put on upgrade list. Usually only Exec Platinum or Plat Pro will clear if any there are seats (or the invite only Medallion status).

Was Exec Plat last year and I felt like I was upgraded 95% of the time. This year because AA increased their spend amounts, I fell short by $1000 so now I'm Platinum Pro. Have spent more time in coach (albeit Exit Row) so far this year than all of last year put together. 

And my home airport is MIA so that doesn't help either....

:firstworld:

11 hours ago, TripItUp said:

makes Boston a bit less boring.

You're doing Boston wrong, IMO. :lol: 

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

You're doing Boston wrong, IMO. :lol: 

great food/restaurants but kind of boring in the winter compared to other cities IMHO.

4 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Was Exec Plat last year and I felt like I was upgraded 95% of the time. This year because AA increased their spend amounts, I fell short by $1000 so now I'm Platinum Pro. Have spent more time in coach (albeit Exit Row) so far this year than all of last year put together. 

And my home airport is MIA so that doesn't help either....

:firstworld:

I’m exec plat and I get upgraded so much that it’s to the point where I am genuinely angry when it doesn’t happen. I don’t know what the heck would happen to me if I ever have to go back to flying coach the majority of the time.

14 minutes ago, kutta said:

I’m exec plat and I get upgraded so much that it’s to the point where I am genuinely angry when it doesn’t happen. I don’t know what the heck would happen to me if I ever have to go back to flying coach the majority of the time.

This is literally my metric for when I need to quit this job. Any time I am not excited enough to text my wife that I got upgraded, I've become too jaded and need to re-evaluate my happiness and attitude on life.

That statement would scare the living #### out of me if I ever made it. And I probably will. And I hope I can keep to my plan and take a real hard look inward when it happens. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Elliott said:

In my little area of the world the way Delta used to do things (segments) Birmingham was the highest concentration of Platinum flyers in the US.  That's been tempered by their algorithm change, but we have so many permanent statused folks now getting status for the BHM-ATL flight is almost impossible.  It is a 26 minute flight, so definitely a first world problem.

33 minutes ago, Sand said:

In my little area of the world the way Delta used to do things (segments) Birmingham was the highest concentration of Platinum flyers in the US.  That's been tempered by their algorithm change, but we have so many permanent statused folks now getting status for the BHM-ATL flight is almost impossible.  It is a 26 minute flight, so definitely a first world problem.

I lived in Atlanta for 15 years and I remember more than once flying R/T ATL-GSO for $69 to build up segments and qualify for the next tier. The last few days of the year, there were consistently 10-15 people who got off the plane in GSO, turned around and checked into the return flight at the gate. The most I ever did it was twice in one day. There were others that were doing it 4-5x to get the segments. 

Just started traveling for work (new job).  Went with United and Marriott as my standard reward choices. 

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card that gets me Priority Pass Lounge Access. Was wondering if it’s worth it to go to a United Card to get United lounge access or Amex Platinum which will add Centurion Club access to the Priority Pass access. So, I guess this question is on which lounge is best and how to get access??

Headed to Seattle in a few weeks if anybody has some pro tips.

Also Orlando n March for 4 days(yuck)

9 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Headed to Seattle in a few weeks if anybody has some pro tips.

Also Orlando n March for 4 days(yuck)

If you like hard cider, I have a lot of Seattle thoughts.

Food changes often enough relative to the time I spend there that I use Eater's list for whatever is most recent. It has never steered me wrong. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmedina said:

Just started traveling for work (new job).  Went with United and Marriott as my standard reward choices. 

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card that gets me Priority Pass Lounge Access. Was wondering if it’s worth it to go to a United Card to get United lounge access or Amex Platinum which will add Centurion Club access to the Priority Pass access. So, I guess this question is on which lounge is best and how to get access??

It really depends on the airport.  I find Priority Pass to be sub par in the States.  The PP lounges in Europe are awesome though -- better food, free booze, more room.

I fly AA and got the credit card that has Admiral's Club access.  Some of the Admirals Club lounges are always so packed (PHX & LAX come to mind) that you can't always find a seat and i question the value.  I think it's OK, but it's 50/50 if I renew the card this fall.  Considering i can expense the meal/drinks, i could be just as content finding a bar in the terminal and having a few beers while I wait.

6 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

It really depends on the airport.  I find Priority Pass to be sub par in the States.  The PP lounges in Europe are awesome though -- better food, free booze, more room.

I fly AA and got the credit card that has Admiral's Club access.  Some of the Admirals Club lounges are always so packed (PHX & LAX come to mind) that you can't always find a seat and i question the value.  I think it's OK, but it's 50/50 if I renew the card this fall.  Considering i can expense the meal/drinks, i could be just as content finding a bar in the terminal and having a few beers while I wait.

I agree on the AA clubs. I live in PHX and those clubs are always packed. But it sure is nice waiting in the club in most airports. Much more peaceful 

• Like 1

CSR is pretty limited in the states (and good overseas).  I have used it in Dulles, Atlanta, and a few other places, though.  It's great for LAX - good lounges and some free food, too.  

I'm sure the best lounges are the Emirates international first class lounges.  But they won't let rabble like me in there...

23 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

Priority Pass is free for the Sapphire card, I’ve found them ok in my limited experience.  United’s seem like they are easier to access/more plentiful, but I’d have to get the card for $450 annual fee. 

I’m based out of OKC so it’s mainly for when I’m out and about and want to get away from the masses. Denver, Houston, and Dallas, which I connect through often, have the Centurian Amex Clubs that seem nice online and appear more selective (less people) 🤷🏻‍♂️?

23 minutes ago, Sand said:

CSR is pretty limited in the states (and good overseas).  I have used it in Dulles, Atlanta, and a few other places, though.  It's great for LAX - good lounges and some free food, too.  

I'm sure the best lounges are the Emirates international first class lounges.  But they won't let rabble like me in there...

I’ve been to the Atlanta one. Had decent food and drinks, but man was it out of the way!

A FYI about the Priority Pass (if you have the Select Tier). You can get free food/drinks at select restaurants and bars as well as a free hour in those minute suites for a free nap!

Managed that once.  Ruled.

3 hours ago, pmedina said:

If you get status with Marriott and are going to travel for a couple years look into their Chase card - at least for paying the hotel stays.

Get tons of bonus points when paying for hotel combined with a Gold or higher status, 15 nights to status, free night once a year. Think the annual fee is around 80/year. 

4 hours ago, pmedina said:

Centurion lounges are nice, a step above delta, but I find them and the delta lounges to usually be pretty crowded...I can always find a seat so I guess I shouldn’t complain.

Centurion lounge airport coverage is pretty limited.

Never tried priority pass

14 hours ago, The General said:

If you get status with Marriott and are going to travel for a couple years look into their Chase card - at least for paying the hotel stays.

Get tons of bonus points when paying for hotel combined with a Gold or higher status, 15 nights to status, free night once a year. Think the annual fee is around 80/year. 

There's an AmEx also that I use for when I'm working places without a Hyatt. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pmedina said:

Just received my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and am going to be putting all of my business travel on it going forward.

I have the AA Platinum Mastercard that gets me into Admiral's Club. Priority Pass access will be a nice filler when Admiral's Club isn't available. 

• Like 1

For all the folks that often stay at Marriotts, I would check how they credit your points. I've always just trusted I'm credited correctly, but saw an article on the PointsGuy about how Marriott has been screwing up. Went back and checked my last stay and was short changed about 11k points. Panning on going back and validating all my stats this year.

57 minutes ago, SouthJersey said:

For all the folks that often stay at Marriotts, I would check how they credit your points. I've always just trusted I'm credited correctly, but saw an article on the PointsGuy about how Marriott has been screwing up. Went back and checked my last stay and was short changed about 11k points. Panning on going back and validating all my stats this year.

Since the death of Starwood, that stupid Bonvoy program has been pretty miserable.  I decided to switch over all my credit cards to Delta Skymiles Amex cards instead -- I mostly fly Delta, and haven't had good airline status for a while.  Got the platinum first and then decided to splurge for the reserve level.  Instead of paying for flights and using points for hotels on our family vacations, we'll do it the other way around.  I'd prefer to have flexibility in hotels anyway.  So, hoping this gets me some great status there and a good chunk of miles, we'll see.

I moved to Hyatt whenever possible, with Marriott as a backup mostly due to footprint. Service just doesn't compare to what SPG had. #sad

Hyatt and American have a partnership running which makes it extra nice - Hyatt points when flying AA and AA miles for Hyatt stays. Also - the Hyatt people treat you WAY better - I have fantastic service at their 10-night low status compared to my ok service as an Ambassador level status with Marriott. 

• Like 1

AA planes and service are just brutally bad compared to Delta these days.  I fly it when I have to, but just so prefer Delta.  Some decent options out of NY usually. 

1 hour ago, SouthJersey said:

Yup. Got to stay on them. I never check all the various bonuses (probably should) but they mess up probably 1 in 8 stays or so if I had to guess. 

29 minutes ago, Otis said:

AA planes and service are just brutally bad compared to Delta these days.  I fly it when I have to, but just so prefer Delta.  Some decent options out of NY usually. 

Delta rocks, not even close.

So are they going to lower the medallion thresholds this year for status with all the reduced travel.  I've got at least 10k miles over the next two months that wont be flown.

23 minutes ago, djmich said:

Delta rocks, not even close.

So are they going to lower the medallion thresholds this year for status with all the reduced travel.  I've got at least 10k miles over the next two months that wont be flown.

Good question.  Don't see why they would.  Seems like it's the opposite--they're trying to make it harder to get status because so many people have been getting it it's sort of become worthless.

• Like 1

Delta is pretty great airline. I’m committed to Alaska which is good out of Seattle and on West Coast. Would chose Delta for sure if wasn’t always going for status on Alaska.

Delta stock is getting to be a good buy I think. This will all pass at and some point, like 25% drop since the start of this. 

• Like 2

My travel is going to go way down.  Orlando cancelled next week, Australia cancelled next month. Board meeting going to be remote.  Many of our customers (hospitals) don't want us vendor types coming onsite.  I could use the break

7 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

My travel is going to go way down.  Orlando cancelled next week, Australia cancelled next month. Board meeting going to be remote.  Many of our customers (hospitals) don't want us vendor types coming onsite.  I could use the break

Same.  I haven't stayed at a hotel for work in a while, and I won't be doing that anytime soon.  All my upcoming work trips are canceled, and nothing on the horizon.  I could get used to this.

17 hours ago, Otis said:

Since the death of Starwood, that stupid Bonvoy program has been pretty miserable.  I decided to switch over all my credit cards to Delta Skymiles Amex cards instead -- I mostly fly Delta, and haven't had good airline status for a while.  Got the platinum first and then decided to splurge for the reserve level.  Instead of paying for flights and using points for hotels on our family vacations, we'll do it the other way around.  I'd prefer to have flexibility in hotels anyway.  So, hoping this gets me some great status there and a good chunk of miles, we'll see.

Agree. I was a SPG guy. 

I would consider using the Chase UR cards for your daily spend since they have more versatility. You can transfer to airlines as well as hotels.

• Like 1