What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this veto worthy (1 Viewer)

32 Counter Pass

Footballguy
I loath posting these topics, but apparently the commissioner has veto power over all trades.

Team A gets Cam, Breida, Hogan

Team B gets Tannehill, Hunt, Diggs

I don't want to create a separate thread so, try this one on for size that just went down in a Zealots league: Jeff Heuerman + Muhammad Wilkerson for Courtland Sutton.  :X

Nope. Not an awesome deal for team B unless they really need a QB, but unless they’re cheating it’s not veto-worthy. 

SCT said:
Vetoing should not be a thing.  Unless there is proven collusion. 

I know vetoing is not a perfect practice, nor is it even "good".  But trust me, all these "experts" that proclaim how (no trade should be vetoed, and if its very bad kick them out of the league next season) are shortsighted.

I posted about this the other night in another thread, I will try and copy it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think "vetoing trades" is a better alternative than not having any safeguards in place. I have heard it time and time again in podcasts. "You shouldn't have that ability, we are all grown men, if they cant trade fairly then kick them out of the league for next year". But they are all so blind to the fact that it can screw your league up THIS YEAR.

Suppose one guy makes this trade this year....... Team A -  Gronk,  Pat Mahomes,  Antonio Brown and Alvin Kamara, for Team B's - Jimmy Graham, Marcus Mariota, Laquon Treadwell, and Marlon Mack.  This is far too heavily stacked into Team Bs favor.

Do you think that trade is even remotely close?  The "experts" would all allow that to fly through in a non-veto league, even though its almost obviously collusion especially if it were blatantly filling Team B's only weak spots. I am in no way saying using a trade veto system is perfect and without issues, but having essentially no safeguard in place is WORSE .  Suppose you let that go in a non veto league, how does that bear out for the non offending teams? I will tell you how, it stacks one team unfairly and ruins the league. (I could make this ironclad, if I used an example of say one team trades Todd Gurley for another teams third string Ito Smith.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also note at the time I wrote this, Marlon Mack and Marcus Mariota were injured.  I know some can argue that others see future upside far differently than others. But the point is, sometimes these trades the "experts" say should always go through, are so unfair that they heavily sway the outcome of a league, even if not blatant collusion.  Most often its one owner taking advantage of another less knowledgeable owner.

What they all don't take into account, is it often ruins the integrity of a league for the entire season, and ruins weaker owners' enjoyment. Often to such an extent it causes them to stop fantasy altogether. Remember guys, not all ordinary, non-sophistocated fantasy players are in multiple leagues like we are.  Suppose you are in one main league every year, and its all everyone in the neighborhood thinks about and gets geared up for.  Then in week 6 along comes a trade thats so heavily lopsided in someones favor, it makes one team nearly unbeatable, and essentially ruins the league, ruining many casual owners season and fun, thereby driving them from the fantasy community altogether.

Is this an extreme example?  Sure.     Do I think vetoing trades is a good idea, no I don't.  But regardless of what many people think, having at least SOME type of safeguard in place, beats HAVING NONE IN PLACE WHATSOEVER .

I know you can argue this in the other direction, but I'm convinced having veto power is better than having no control whatsoever.

Like its the lesser of two evils.

(and for kicks, the trade posted in the OP isn't even remotely veto-able)

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it ... which side is considered the landslide "must be collusion" winner?

My fist guess would be Hunt / Diggs .... but a look at the scoring and Hunt is #21 RB, just one place above Alex Collins and several spots below James White and Austin Ekeler. I assume that may change but you never know.

Diggs is good but sharing targets with Thelin. Had a 4 for 17 yards game this week.

So the Cam side isn't awful imo.

SCT said:
Unless there is proven collusion. 
I've never seen a real world example of this. Short of one of the parties involved cracking under interrogation, I'm not sure what this looks like.

To be clear, this isn't an argument for vetos or overturning trades. I'm just curious what people mean by "proven".

I know vetoing is not a perfect practice, nor is it even "good".  But trust me, all these "experts" that proclaim how (no trade should be vetoed, and if its very bad kick them out of the league next season) are shortsighted.

I posted about this the other night in another thread, I will try and copy it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think "vetoing trades" is a better alternative than not having any safeguards in place. I have heard it time and time again in podcasts. "You shouldn't have that ability, we are all grown men, if they cant trade fairly then kick them out of the league for next year". But they are all so blind to the fact that it can screw your league up THIS YEAR.

Suppose one guy makes this trade this year....... Team A -  Gronk,  Pat Mahomes,  Antonio Brown and Alvin Kamara, for Team B's - Jimmy Graham, Marcus Mariota, Laquon Treadwell, and Marlon Mack.  This is far too heavily stacked into Team Bs favor.

Do you think that trade is even remotely close?  The "experts" would all allow that to fly through in a non-veto league, even though its almost obviously collusion especially if it were blatantly filling Team B's only weak spots. I am in no way saying using a trade veto system is perfect and without issues, but having essentially no safeguard in place is WORSE .  Suppose you let that go in a non veto league, how does that bear out for the non offending teams? I will tell you how, it stacks one team unfairly and ruins the league. (I could make this ironclad, if I used an example of say one team trades Todd Gurley for another teams third string Ito Smith.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also note at the time I wrote this, Marlon Mack and Marcus Mariota were injured.  I know some can argue that others see future upside far differently than others. But the point is, sometimes these trades the "experts" say should always go through, are so unfair that they heavily sway the outcome of a league, even if not blatant collusion.  Most often its one owner taking advantage of another less knowledgeable owner.

What they all don't take into account, is it often ruins the integrity of a league for the entire season, and ruins weaker owners' enjoyment. Often to such an extent it causes them to stop fantasy altogether. Remember guys, not all ordinary, non-sophistocated fantasy players are in multiple leagues like we are.  Suppose you are in one main league every year, and its all everyone in the neighborhood thinks about and gets geared up for.  Then in week 6 along comes a trade thats so heavily lopsided in someones favor, it makes one team nearly unbeatable, and essentially ruins the league, ruining many casual owners season and fun, thereby driving them from the fantasy community altogether.

Is this an extreme example?  Sure.     Do I think vetoing trades is a good idea, no I don't.  But regardless of what many people think, having at least SOME type of safeguard in place, beats HAVING NONE IN PLACE WHATSOEVER .

I know you can argue this in the other direction, but I'm convinced having veto power is better than having no control whatsoever.

TZM
Agree 100%.  Those that use the weak argument you shouldn't veto unless collusion has to know collusion can't be proven.  You can't allow leagues to be ruined by trades such as the hypothetical one you mentioned.  Having said that, you cannot veto trades just because one side wins the trade over the other, even somewhat lopsided.  However, if someone were to trade Team A -  Gronk,  Pat Mahomes,  Antonio Brown and Alvin Kamara, for Team B's - Jimmy Graham, Marcus Mariota, Laquon Treadwell, and Marlon Mack, then yes, the commish has to protect the integrity of the league in this case.

Agree 100%.  Those that use the weak argument you shouldn't veto unless collusion has to know collusion can't be proven.  You can't allow leagues to be ruined by trades such as the hypothetical one you mentioned.  Having said that, you cannot veto trades just because one side wins the trade over the other, even somewhat lopsided.  However, if someone were to trade Team A -  Gronk,  Pat Mahomes,  Antonio Brown and Alvin Kamara, for Team B's - Jimmy Graham, Marcus Mariota, Laquon Treadwell, and Marlon Mack, then yes, the commish has to protect the integrity of the league in this case.
If you're going to have a mechanism to protect the integrity of the league, you also need one to protect it from whatever that mechanism is because in the real world, the latter will be tested much more often than the former...

Perhaps not but the commissioner should contact both sides in a wildly lopsided trade and get the rationale for how the trade is making their team better.  If they don't have a good answer then you have a pretty good idea that there is either collusion or tanking going on and either of those are legitimate reason to veto.

If you're going to have a mechanism to protect the integrity of the league, you also need one to protect it from whatever that mechanism is because in the real world, the latter will be tested much more often than the former...
Please explain further.

Perhaps not but the commissioner should contact both sides in a wildly lopsided trade and get the rationale for how the trade is making their team better.  If they don't have a good answer then you have a pretty good idea that there is either collusion or tanking going on and either of those are legitimate reason to veto.
I agree with that.  Communication is necessary by the commish to find out the rationale for the trade.  Tanking is not a good reason.

Please explain further.
In the real world very few trades look like this (seriously hoping none do) so while it's all well and good when a commissioner and/or 10 owners can all nod their heads and say "No way", as soon as you move away from the black and white ends of the trading spectrum, it gets more subjective - usually a lot more - and that's where most trades will actually reside. It's a slippery slope from "crazy trade" to imposing your will on my team.

TZM

If a trade is vetoed, then it should also be imperative that the league actively consider removing at least one of the owners.  

Either the teams are colluding and pooling their rosters - in which case both owners ought to be voted out - or, as in the scenario you posted above, one of the owners is so inept that they are damaging the league as a whole by severely negating the competitiveness.

That should be the criteria for a veto - if you support (or initiate as a commish) a veto, then immediately afterwards you should be required to support the immediate removal of at least one of the owners.  If you aren’t willing to do that, then you ought to let other owners manage their own teams.

In the real world very few trades look like this (seriously hoping none do) so while it's all well and good when a commissioner and/or 10 owners can all nod their heads and say "No way", as soon as you move away from the black and white ends of the trading spectrum, it gets more subjective - usually a lot more - and that's where most trades will actually reside. It's a slippery slope from "crazy trade" to imposing your will on my team.
Real world <> fantasy world

So, what do you veto guys do when you veto a trade that you’re so sure is lopsided, turns out not to be so lopsided? We did away with owner vetoing a long time ago (thankfully) for this very reason. 

32 Counter Pass said:
I loath posting these topics, but apparently the commissioner has veto power over all trades.

Not even close to veto worthy. I take side B but can see why Team A would do it.

So, what do you veto guys do when you veto a trade that you’re so sure is lopsided, turns out not to be so lopsided? We did away with owner vetoing a long time ago (thankfully) for this very reason. 
You can't look at it that way, otherwise everything goes (even tanking) can ruin a league.  The commish has to be good enough to allow lopsided trades, but not allow trades that can cripple a league.  I agree with a previous poster about getting rid of bad owners.  Also, you can't allow obvious tanking (you know it when you see it)....period.  Nothing you can do about subtle tanking (you know it when you see it)  Having said that, the trade mentioned in the OP is not veto worthy. 

You can't look at it that way, otherwise everything goes (even tanking) can ruin a league.  The commish has to be good enough to allow lopsided trades, but not allow trades that can cripple a league.  I agree with a previous poster about getting rid of bad owners.  Also, you can't allow obvious tanking (you know it when you see it)....period.  Nothing you can do about subtle tanking (you know it when you see it)  Having said that, the trade mentioned in the OP is not veto worthy. 
I get that every league is different, but in our case it has worked out much better after getting rid of it. Maybe we were lucky that there weren’t any “crippling” trades. There were just way too many instances where a trade was vetoed because it was “obviously lopsided” that turned out not to be. Granted, there were a few cases where injury to a player was what made the veto look foolish, but there were others that would have ended up being fine trades for both sides that were vetoed because people think they can predict the future. 

TZM
Commissioner veto power sure but never the league vote thing. 

I've never seen a real world example of this. Short of one of the parties involved cracking under interrogation, I'm not sure what this looks like.

To be clear, this isn't an argument for vetos or overturning trades. I'm just curious what people mean by "proven".
Team A has a QB on bye and is playing Team B who Team C needs to lose.  Team C trades his stud qb to team A on loan for a week and then gets him back after team A used him to beat team B.  It’s proven when the guy is returned.  

Team A has a QB on bye and is playing Team B who Team C needs to lose.  Team C trades his stud qb to team A on loan for a week and then gets him back after team A used him to beat team B.  It’s proven when the guy is returned.  
Yes, in that scenario it is obvious collusion.  However, 99.999% of the time it cannot be proven. 

That should be the criteria for a veto - if you support (or initiate as a commish) a veto, then immediately afterwards you should be required to support the immediate removal of at least one of the owners.  If you aren’t willing to do that, then you ought to let other owners manage their own teams.
The one time I nixed a deal in the league I commissioned was 

1. After the league voted it split 6-4 & I was left to make the decision. (The two teams in the trade don’t get a vote, obv)

2. It was two siblings making a trade with each other, 2 weeks before the playoffs

3. One team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

4. It was imbalanced - this was the least of my concerns because I am of firm belief that not all trades need to be fair.  if you can get over on another team, that’s your god-given negotiation talent. That said, if you immediately target a n00b league member for crappy trades, that’s bad form. But hey, n00bs gotta learn hard lessons in life & FFB. Anyway....

all I needed to see was a team that couldn’t make the playoffs making a trade with his brother’s team that was playoff bound, and it didn’t really matter who was involved in the deal. That team playoffs was getting a RB1 & & WR2 for 4 players that didn’t add up to those two cinched it. 

I nixed the deal, and posted why I nixed the deal, then informed them, and the league, that we would be replacing both the next year. 

Team playoff was super polite about it, but not happy. Team no-playoff threw a hissy & threatened to drop his whole team. 

So I locked his roster & removed him as an owner - then set his lineup the last 2 weeks according to the Sportsline “best projected”.

They were both gone the next year for trying to cheat their friends, the other 9 folks in the league allllllll had my back, and Team Playoff got knocked out in the 1st round. 

All was right in the world.

and in 13 years, that’s the *only* trade I’ve nixed.

TZM
First, there is no collusion. There was no prior discussion with the other owner. Conceptually, I agree there should be some safe guards to prevent tanking and so forth. My issue with the commish vetoing the trade seems arbitrary at best. The team getting Cam just lost Jimmy G so they were motivated to get a decent option.

The total points scored to date were also slightly in favor of the team getting Cam, so I do not understand the criteria people are using to say it is lopsided. Are they still using their preseason projections? If so, are they still valuing M. Goodwin and Kittle at their pre-Jimmy G injury value? 

This gets to heart of the veto process if there isn't clearly stated criteria than it is opinion driven and arbitrary. And it is based on one person's opinion. 

Also adding that the commish lost to us this week in a game he was projected to win. So there might be some bitterness involved in the decision. 

This gets to heart of the veto process if there isn't clearly stated criteria than it is opinion driven and arbitrary. And it is based on one person's opinion. 
No veto for this trade but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be for all trades.  League integrity is at stake in the most extreme scenario of a veto.   As far as opinion driven, that's why leagues need a competent commish.  Your league is only as good as your commish's ability to run a good league and that sometimes means making hard decisions.

32 Counter Pass said:

Can you give us a little more background now that the thread has been underway for a while. Why is the commissioner claiming this trade needs to be vetoed?

This is an auction league. Scoring format is PPR. 14 Teams, 20 player rosters. Starting lineups 1-QB, 2-RBs, 3-WRs. 1_Flex (R,W,T).. D, K.

The commissioner says the total auction price of the players is out of balance to one side. I can accept that explanation even tho I do not agree with it. My question would be at what point can we ignore the auction prices of players and rather use their actual production. 

This is an auction league. Scoring format is PPR. 14 Teams, 20 player rosters. Starting lineups 1-QB, 2-RBs, 3-WRs. 1_Flex (R,W,T).. D, K.

The commissioner says the total auction price of the players is out of balance to one side. I can accept that explanation even tho I do not agree with it. My question would be at what point can we ignore the auction prices of players and rather use their actual production. 
No hard salary cap?  Normally in an auction teams need to stay under a hard cap even in trades.

It would seem that the salaries should have been provided in the original post to be able to fully evaluate what happened here.

Users who are viewing this thread