What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (2 Viewers)

Is anyone else getting super anal playing this game in terms of tracking what you are doing and what you want to do and what is left to do?

I sure as hell am. 

Apologies in advance for my usual wall of text.

I've created a spreadsheet with multiple tabs. The main tab, based on research online (avoiding spoilers) is to list all missions of each chapter (including epilogues) -- main, stranger, companion, etc.) as well as unique items (masks, weapons, clothing, etc.) and some larger challenges (treasure maps, gunslingers, bounties, etc.) and some of the more specific "to dos" (dreamcatchers, rock carvings, discovering aliens, robots, and unique characters, and investigating mysteries like the princess and meeting characters like the wolf man, etc.).

I have a copy of that sheet that I filter down to just the items that are available up to and through the chapter/mission I am on (right now everything through CH3).

I check off things as I go on both tabs.

Also have another tab of very focused "to do tonight" items based on the filtered tab I described above to focus on some of the things I wanted to complete in the next session or two -- last night, that was hunting down a perfect Bison and crafting the Provisions Satchel. I add items to this to-do list as I find them (for instance, I added a bounty mission that I noticed and picked up in Saint Denis on my way to hunt the Bison) and prioritize them (for instance, I prioritized this bounty mission after hunting Bison and Elk -- really want those satchels -- but before hunting for some of the animals the taxidermist is sending me on as bounty missions, like companion missions that I've prioritized this new bounty with, are white and don't want to lose them by taking too long to get to them).

Another tab lists all outfit items -- each individual piece and complete outfits, their cost and the pelts (legendary and otherwise) needed to craft them, along with a list of other craftable items and their "ingredients" -- satchels, talismans, saddles, etc. An additional pivot table on this sheet lists the number of each pelt/feather/etc. that Pearson and the trapper need (i.e. Pearson needs 1 perfect badger for craftables while the trapper needs 2). Again, I cross these off as I obtain pelts and craft/buy the items.

A separate tab lists all pelts and fish and what it takes to get a perfect specimen, what rifle/lure to use, and what every pelt can be sold for -- poor, good, and perfect. I've found this helps if I'm on a hunting jag and need to prioritize -- for instance, you actually get more money for selling a good buck carcass ($6.00) than a perfect alligator skin ($3.50) or perfect goat carcass ($4.75). This helps what you prioritize carrying on the back of your horse for maximum sales value.

I have a separate tab of legendary animals and fish that I cross off as I get them. Also have a tab for places to visit (i.e. all shacks). Have a tab that deep dives into horses, listing them in order of perceived rank (Arabian, Fox Trotters, etc at top, Morgans and Shires at the bottom), and a separate tab on fish (which bait to use for every fish in the game by effectiveness -- e.g. you can catch a redfin pickerel best with bread, and that corn works better to attract them than crayfish or even the special spinner).

Have a tab listing ingredients for crafting food and other provisions and what that does (e.g. minty big game helps to gold core health vs minty mutton, which greatly restores health core, moderately restores stamina core and dead eye core), and a tab listing ambient effects to honor (completing camp chores is a +5 attribute; killing a domesticated town/farm animal is -5) and bounty values (e.g. assault is a high severity crime but only has a $5 bounty; intimidation is a medium severity crime with the same bounty; train robbery is a high severity crime with a $50 bounty).

TL;DR -- this game has turned me into a completely anal list-maker/item checker. I play with an open computer and am constantly monitoring what I am doing and planning what's next. Anyone else do this?

This might have been mentioned here and I missed it, but I never thought a gang of outlaws would also basically act as the ACLU. I’ve never seen so many hardened killers and thieves also care so much and be so outspoken about the plight of minorities and the poor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This might have been mentioned here and I mentioned it, but I never thought a gang of outlaws would also basically act as the ACLU. I’ve never seen so many hardened killers and thieves also care so much and be so outspoken about the plight of minorities and the poor. 
I haven't yet come across anything specific like seeing people be so outspoken about the poor or minorities (as opposed to losing a way of life that's important to them), but it is cool that the "gang" is pretty damned diverse -- way moreso than I imagine an actual outlaw gang to have ever been in real life in that time.

Women, Latinos, African Americans, Native Americans, elderly, a child, foreigners, the infirm, former orphans, clergy, and fallen doves, the kind and the evil, high and low-born, etc.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
TL;DR -- this game has turned me into a completely anal list-maker/item checker. I play with an open computer and am constantly monitoring what I am doing and planning what's next. Anyone else do this?
:shock:

I thought I was bad because I have a list of how many livestock I need to kill to finish the trapper gear.  

Thanks, man. I believe I tried knocking on back door (and summarily told to go away) but can't recall if I immediately then went back inside to try and rob the doctor again. Will try and see.
I mean the door to the backroom inside the Dr's office.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  

I have never thought of doing this -- thanks! Will make that the top of my to-do list tonight!
unless you want to figure this out:

you need to look through the window in the back from the outside.   once you do that, it opens up the next steps you need to rob the place.  then you need to go inside and point your gun at the doctor.   you'll have the option to rob him or force him to open the back door

Not me. I would never enjoy this game if I played it like that. Basically, I do all side missions first and then story missions. If the are a cluster of missions together I do those so im not riding my horse too much from mission to mission. The only time I hunted was in chapters 2 and 3 where my only goal was the updated satchels. After that I stopped hunting. Legendary animals I only hunt when I'm in the area. Legendary fish I don't do. Challenges? No shot I do those. The rocks, dinosaurs bones, dream catchers I found one total by accident and don't plan on looking for anymore. Im almost done with the game. 3 more missions and one more gang hideout and im at around 80% completion. Im happy with that. Spent almost 2 full months on this game and nothing else so it's time to move on. Fun game but not in my top 3 ever (that would be HZD, the new God of War, and The Last of Us).

unless you want to figure this out:

you need to look through the window in the back from the outside.   once you do that, it opens up the next steps you need to rob the place.  then you need to go inside and point your gun at the doctor.   you'll have the option to rob him or force him to open the back door
I need to learn how to add spoiler text - how did you do that? 

I actually did try that at first, long before anyone at camp told me that I should rob the office. I never tried to rob it when I was initially able to peek in the back -- I think after that, I heard a sheriff walk up to that back iron door, have an interaction with someone inside, then I tried to talk to him (the sheriff blew me off) and tried to knock on that back door (similarly told to pound dirt) and then went back to Horseshoe.

I have not been able to trigger the ability to peek through the window again, even when I can clearly see a dude sitting at the table inside.

I need to learn how to add spoiler text - how did you do that? 

I actually did try that at first, long before anyone at camp told me that I should rob the office. I never tried to rob it when I was initially able to peek in the back -- I think after that, I heard a sheriff walk up to that back iron door, have an interaction with someone inside, then I tried to talk to him (the sheriff blew me off) and tried to knock on that back door (similarly told to pound dirt) and then went back to Horseshoe.

I have not been able to trigger the ability to peek through the window again, even when I can clearly see a dude sitting at the table inside.
once you look through the window once, you don't ever have to do it again.   

<spoiler>

text

</spoiler>  but use square brackets [  ]  instead of <>

@Stompin' Tom Connors

once you look through the window once, you don't ever have to do it again.   

<spoiler>

text

</spoiler>  but use square brackets [  ]  instead of <>
in the opening hours of the doctors office rob it, you'll get an extra option which is something about the back room I believe

Go with that

I managed it with a bounty of $1.50, but I believe if wou go with the throwing knives you could get no bounty at all

Not me. I would never enjoy this game if I played it like that. Basically, I do all side missions first and then story missions. If the are a cluster of missions together I do those so im not riding my horse too much from mission to mission. The only time I hunted was in chapters 2 and 3 where my only goal was the updated satchels. After that I stopped hunting. Legendary animals I only hunt when I'm in the area. Legendary fish I don't do. Challenges? No shot I do those. The rocks, dinosaurs bones, dream catchers I found one total by accident and don't plan on looking for anymore. Im almost done with the game. 3 more missions and one more gang hideout and im at around 80% completion. Im happy with that. Spent almost 2 full months on this game and nothing else so it's time to move on. Fun game but not in my top 3 ever (that would be HZD, the new God of War, and The Last of Us).
Yeah no way I do all the extra stuff. I’d like to finish the serial killer storyline on my own (have two pieces) and I like doing the side missions, but I’m not going to bother with dino bones or anything like.

also I keep a running list of my top 100 games of all time because I’m a dork and it keeps me occupied when I’m flying for work.  The last of Us is #2.  I’ve got a copy of  Bloodborne, God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus under the tree with a PS4 from my wife, which is why I’m really trying to get through this in the next week.

What the serial killer story? Did I miss that one?
Keeping this pretty generic so I'm not going to use tags...

There's a decapitated head with a note in the mouth and a disemboweled torso strung up on a boulder, With a big message scrawled in blood (something like "do you now see what I've done? .. going from memory, that probably isn't it verbatim).   I found that really early in playing, then towards the end in a random cabin I found a note that seemed to be a piece in solving this but I never found anything else

There's a decapitated head with a note in the mouth and a disemboweled torso strung up on a boulder, With a big message scrawled in blood (something like "do you now see what I've done? .. going from memory, that probably isn't it verbatim).   I found that really early in playing, then towards the end in a random cabin I found a note that seemed to be a piece in solving this but I never found anything else
I think I remember the guy on the tree or whatever but I never pursued it further. 

Down in the swamps there is a body like that first one under the railway bridge. I never found the head though

I think I remember the guy on the tree or whatever but I never pursued it further. 
Story might have been generous but the notes that I’ve found say 2 of 6 I believe. Basically if you’re around and you see a blood trail, use your hunter’s sense and you’ll find the rest of the remains and a note in the head. 

Heres the boulder one that was mentioned - I took a screenshot at the time.

https://screenshotscontent-d4001.xboxlive.com/xuid-2533274795158020-private/61492570-40fa-4555-8d21-6d90fc369cfb.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=FfNFNhMZvT0QHxGzwxJsQdV%2BHkGbE1JKP9O2PUNjHzQ%3D

Yeah no way I do all the extra stuff. I’d like to finish the serial killer storyline on my own (have two pieces) and I like doing the side missions, but I’m not going to bother with dino bones or anything like.

also I keep a running list of my top 100 games of all time because I’m a dork and it keeps me occupied when I’m flying for work.  The last of Us is #2.  I’ve got a copy of  Bloodborne, God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus under the tree with a PS4 from my wife, which is why I’m really trying to get through this in the next week.
that new god of war is going to be high on your list

Is there a way to figure out what to hunt for in a specific area? I killed the bear. I see pictures of rabbits and deer on the map but nothing else.

Also, when can I go fishing? I still haven't gotten the fishing pole.
The pole unlocks during a mission you get from Abigail in camp in Chapter 2.

Once you get the pole, you can fish, but in order to fish for legendary fish, you will need to visit the bait shop in the Lemoyne area to get special river, swamp, and lake lures.

Yep, I get it, I think my OCD kicked in. Probably overkill for 99.99999% of the population, but just kinda went that way for me.

The motivation was simply not to miss out on any missions so just started to list those missable missions and when they appear and when you need to complete them by so as to not move past them and miss them entirely by playing main missions.

Kinda spiraled from there.

Honestly, most of it is referral info if I need it, with really light upkeep before/after each session. But that's how I am getting enjoyment -- I'll still wander aimlessly wihtout direction to see what I can see, and don't really intend to tackle some of the really hard challenges (dreamcatchers, rock carvings, etc.) until after the epilogues. But it actually provides me with some structure at times which I like.

You must be in love
You should do it every time you come across this (or any other dude).

Why, you ask?

You can come across this guy after each instance outside of a store in a town nearby where you had the interaction, where he recognizes you and offers to buy anything from that store on his tab.

Gotten some expensive weapons that were otherwise too expensive and some pricey outfits that way. It does not let you buy weapons or items you haven't unlocked in the main game.

Fair warning -- you need to enter the store in question immediately after you see him and he offers; otherwise the option to buy something on his tab, in my experience, disappears.

Just made it to chapter 3.  I'm playing pretty slow as I've done a lot of exploring, hunting and side missions.  One stupid thing is the wildlife display thing where you need a perfect rabbit and a perfect squirrel.  I'm always riding around with a dead rabbit hanging off my saddle now, and am always looking for  three star squirrel.   Keep shooting them with the varmint gun and ruining the pelt, or I take to long and the rabbit is rotten and has fallen off my saddle.
Use a bow with small game arrows on squirrel and you'll get them perfect much more easily.

I've probably killed 50 squirrels with small game arrows.   None stayed perfect.
I've gotten plenty of perfect squirrels, including with the varmint rifle. But the small game arrows have much better odds.

Are you pulling the bow all the way back or taking multiple arrows to kill them?

There needs to be a "But he started it" button.  I was having a fine afternoon in Valentine.  Got my hair cut, had a nice meal and a drink (even had free nuts).  Strolled over to the gun shop to stock up and a couple guys get lippy.  Typically I X my way our out of the potential for conflict, but opted to antagonize a bit.  Must of hit melee by accident and it was on.  These guys are working me over so I, of course, blow both their heads off at close range, am wanted and have to kill about 20 or so folks on my way out of town with a HUGE bounty.  So could have just told the law men "but they started it" and it would have been over.

You know where I had a semi similar interaction, blew some heads off, escaped but didn't end up wanted or with a bounty after police investigation?

Took care of that kid how gave me so much #### in St. Denis.  Leveled his entire crew.  I'll miss his one liners just a bit, but the whole take down was especially satisfying.

I just entered chapter 6. At this point I care very little about the main story and am enjoying the random side quests more.  I’ll do a full review when I’m done, but they missed opportunities to build towards big missions like GTA5 did. In GTA5, Michael would have a mission where he’d acquire something, Trevor would case the joint or something, and Trevor would hav a mission causing mayhem. Like the heist mission in GTA where you go rob a bank or something, then you switch to another player in the helicopter, then you switch to the getaway car, etc... it was f’ing amazing and you had a few missions leading up to it. In this they’re just like “hey let’s go rob ______ then we shoot an endless number of guys on our way out.”

if you are almost done the game you have a pole.

hold L1/LB down to bring up the Weapons/Items wheel. Press R1/RB to look at the Items section, then use the right stick to select the Hunting section in the bottom right. Press L2/LT and R2/RT to browse through the options until you get your fishing pole. With your fishing pole equipped, press and hold L1/LB again.

Continually blown away by simply sitting down and listening to campfire stories and watching interactions in camp. Learning about Charles and Lenny's backstories through their own eyes; listening to Bill and Uncle commiserate that they aren't exactly stupid, but that they just process things differently, need more time to think through things.

One of my favorites so far simply blew me away it was so unexpected. Maybe I was too high so it colors my memory, but it was an instance where Molly was arguing with Karen.

Molly, I believe, was claiming that Karen and others were constantly speaking behind her back, and the conversation escalated to the point where Molly slaps Karen.

Karen, being Karen, isn't taking any of the guff, rears back and socks Molly across the jaw, crumbling her to the ground, yelling defiantly over her and after her as Molly picks herself up, and walks across camp to the open field, ending up standing beneath a vibrantly verdant tree in the golden light of sunset, watching the light fade, silently.

I don't know why but that blew me away -- the range of emotion and detail, you could feel Molly's humiliation and need to be by herself, and nearly feel the weight of her thoughts.

I'm only on chapter 2. I just started. Am I supposed to wander into a zone where I'm wanted? I just paid off a $300 bounty after rescuing some numb nuts.
Check you log -- the mission “A Fisher of Men” is the one that gets Arthur the pole. If you haven't done it, go hang around Abigail. Maybe save and reload or pass through a couple of days to help trigger the mission.

Users who are viewing this thread