Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
STEADYMOBBIN 22

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Shutout said:

I disagree. I don't think it is lacking, I think it is amazing.  With so many games (and gamers) that are a microcosm of society and just want to go point A-Z as quickly as they can, they suffer the age-old advice of never stopping to smell the roses and something like actually having to think and decide how to get somewhere and the time consequences of it is exactly what makes you feel completely immersed into the game and, more importantly, afford you the opportunity to explore what is probably the best open world game to date.  

If people were just "click" and they jump from one side of the map to the other, they would miss SO much this game has to offer. 

They can still have it and people who don't want to use it can still do so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shadyridr said:

They can still have it and people who don't want to use it can still do so.

Point taken but you can apply that logic to everything from nuclear weapons to extra bags of cocaine lying in your house-doesn't make it right.  

In all seriousness, we know how people are today. That's not saying it is right or wrong but that is the world we live in today-90% of people would overlook and rush and so, personally, I don't have a problem (and actually applaud the move Rockstar took) with being "forced" to actually experience the game in a realistic manner. If nothing else, they spent 7 years making this thing and I have no problems with them insuring that people will actually have to observe it. 

It is hard to criticize this move. rockstar took several avenues that were unconventional but were great successes. In many ways they have elevated and established the bar for other developers to follow in their thinking.  I mean, how many games do you know of that enter the game AFTER the power curve (usually you start out with a spit ball shooter and end up an unstoppable god in the end. In this one, we are introduced to the Dutch gang right AFTER their apex.  Refreshing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a naked guy running through the woods.  killed him (wish I would have tied him up), threw him on my horse and rode around to see what kind of looks I would get.  

The stuff you run into in this game doesn’t seem to end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I need help because it is pretty apparent I am missing something here. This may sound dumb, but am i supposed to be a really bad guy? I have been trying to play the game all clean like and frankly nothing is happening. I am finding this game  boring. Nobody talks to me--except in the one town where people hate me after I got in a fight which I didn't start. I just keep waiting for something to happen. I have no missions to complete. I just figured this was going to be like GTA where missions pop up all over,  but I just seem to ride my horse from place to place. Sometimes someone needs a ride and I take them, but other than being an Uber driver, I am just hoping this game gets going. 

I figure most of you are so far along I don't need to use spoilers. I just did the Micah mission where I went in to Valentine to break him out of jail and I had to kill half the town to complete the mission. I initially was "I am not killing everyone" but then the mission would fail and I ultimately had to kill all these guys. 

Hunting is well, sort of uneventful. I have killed a bunch of stuff but if I wanted to play Dangerous Hunts I would pull out my Zapper Light Gun from my Nintendo. I just feel like I am forcing the action and it doesn't just present itself. It is a beautiful game, but just kind of slow paced. I played dominoes for 25 minutes last night and that was the most exciting thing that happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, Shutout said:

I disagree. I don't think it is lacking, I think it is amazing.  With so many games (and gamers) that are a microcosm of society and just want to go point A-Z as quickly as they can, they suffer the age-old advice of never stopping to smell the roses and something like actually having to think and decide how to get somewhere and the time consequences of it is exactly what makes you feel completely immersed into the game and, more importantly, afford you the opportunity to explore what is probably the best open world game to date.  

If people were just "click" and they jump from one side of the map to the other, they would miss SO much this game has to offer. 

You may be surprised, but I 100% agree with you. The game's designers paid so much attention to the minute detail and interactions and interesting things to find and see in this game that having a fast travel runs completely counter to this and subverts the intent -- and maybe the entire point of this kind of imnmersive game.

But I'm more of @shadyridr's mindeset on this in that having it doesn't mean you can't or won't immerse yourself in the game, but that you can choose not to depending on the way you want to play the game, or situationally.

If there were more random encounters, or varying dialogue with strangers that you meet on the road, or the hideouts or people camping off the roads had varying degrees of set-ups, difficulties, interactions/outcomes where you learned something from overhearing dialogue or picked up varying degrees of better loot (instead of simply becoming cookie-cutter repeats of the exact same rob-the-guy or kill-all-the-gang-members for a tin of chewing tobacco and an open health tonic), then I could see justifying not leaving the choice in a player's hands even more.

Point being, I think that choice should always be in the player's controls. With fast travel, I would still likely not use it 90% of the time, and reserve it for some of the grindy things I like to do like hunt those ten boars and 9 beavers and 15 snakes the trapper needs in different points of the map, be able to get to the trapper, and back to camp without that being the ONLY thing I can do in the 1 hour time slot for gaming I have a few times a week. 

On 2/1/2019 at 4:33 PM, Shutout said:

Or, I find an abandoned mail wagon and I'm like " I wonder if there are any letters in here that tell me anything about what's going on" and sure enough, one tells the details of what happened at Emerald Ranch and solves that mystery.

Wait, what? Does it explain everything and tie things all together? Only on CH3 and understand there is a LOT of mystery surrounding Emerald Ranch - the girl in the window, the shot-up saloon with the grave outside, the general gloominess of the place and multiple people mentioning parts of its backstory (Hosea for one, a woman you save whose horse has died on her and asks to be taken there). Would be cool if there is one mystery in this game that becomes solved by a tangible thing you can find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I beat this the other day or at least did all the missions and all the stranger quests sans one. I absolutely hate fishing and it annoys me that when I loot it I have to unholster my gun afterward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 7:42 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

You may be surprised, but I 100% agree with you. The game's designers paid so much attention to the minute detail and interactions and interesting things to find and see in this game that having a fast travel runs completely counter to this and subverts the intent -- and maybe the entire point of this kind of imnmersive game.

But I'm more of @shadyridr's mindeset on this in that having it doesn't mean you can't or won't immerse yourself in the game, but that you can choose not to depending on the way you want to play the game, or situationally.

If there were more random encounters, or varying dialogue with strangers that you meet on the road, or the hideouts or people camping off the roads had varying degrees of set-ups, difficulties, interactions/outcomes where you learned something from overhearing dialogue or picked up varying degrees of better loot (instead of simply becoming cookie-cutter repeats of the exact same rob-the-guy or kill-all-the-gang-members for a tin of chewing tobacco and an open health tonic), then I could see justifying not leaving the choice in a player's hands even more.

Point being, I think that choice should always be in the player's controls. With fast travel, I would still likely not use it 90% of the time, and reserve it for some of the grindy things I like to do like hunt those ten boars and 9 beavers and 15 snakes the trapper needs in different points of the map, be able to get to the trapper, and back to camp without that being the ONLY thing I can do in the 1 hour time slot for gaming I have a few times a week. 

Wait, what? Does it explain everything and tie things all together? Only on CH3 and understand there is a LOT of mystery surrounding Emerald Ranch - the girl in the window, the shot-up saloon with the grave outside, the general gloominess of the place and multiple people mentioning parts of its backstory (Hosea for one, a woman you save whose horse has died on her and asks to be taken there). Would be cool if there is one mystery in this game that becomes solved by a tangible thing you can find.

Yes, It connects the dots and wraps it up. It's not an instructional manual that says "on this day, this happened", but just from what you mentioned of the girl, the saloon, etc, it is enough to put the story in a box.

That's the great thing of this story in that there are SO many of these things in this game that so many people have completely glossed over.  I almost never hear or read anyone mention "Sonny" or the completion of the serial killer or several of the "obscure" but impactful pieces of this great game.  I know i'm one of those people that are going to mull around much longer than need to in most cases in these stories but I've seen numerous "connect the dots" and "oh, that was related to that...how cool" moments in this game that I just can't believe how much they put into this game (and I am sure I have missed tons of things, too).  I don't know how many people actually spend more than one mission with the legless veteran or Charlotte (the widow), but, dang, there is just so much to uncover in this gem.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hand't touched this is over a year-ish, but queued it up to get my mind off the news for a bit yesterday.  Before I could play, a rather large update ran.  No idea why, but I Googled up if additional content had been added since the last time I played.  Sure enough in late January of this year, additional content was added for the Xbox (and it appears late last year for PS4).  I don't want to spoil what has been added, but thought I'd share there is some new stuff out there should anyone need a mental get away.  (as an aside, one of the adds has allowed me to get WAY closer to 100% completion).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.