What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (4 Viewers)

Has anyone been mauled by a predator? 

So far, I've been killed by the Legendary Bear and a Mountain Lion (I think).

Really awesome when it happens

I have video clip of the latter. 
#### that mountain lion. I shot that ####er 10 times

How do i save video on xbox? I know how on PS4... :unsure:

ETA: Nevermind I just read the xbox double tap button ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been mauled by a predator? 

So far, I've been killed by the Legendary Bear and a Mountain Lion (I think).

Really awesome when it happens

I have video clip of the latter. 
Died from Legendary bear.  Mauled by a second bear but survived.  Skinned that sucker even though it was a poor pelt.

Died from a puma/mountain lion and then killed that sucker the next time.  (Spawns as part of a stranger encounter thing.)

Have killed a few wolves.  Even got one by arrow (thought I had the rifle as current weapon) that resulted in a perfect pelt.  Had the perfect pelt lifted to carry back to my horse when a bounty hunter started shooting at me.  Pelt was 'poor' after that.   :kicksrock:

I gotta get some controller time in tonight, I should work from home tomorrow too if I was smart.    I got about three hours in late Saturday night/sunday morning but I was completely bombed and don't even remember much of it.   Not sure if I should start over or just roll with it, sounds like roll with it from the comments on chapter one.

Oh i want the nostalgia!
What i did was just play through the main quest one after another with a couple Stranger missions for good measure if they were in the area of a main quest. I knew gambling and bounties etc would be in the new one so I didn't do too much of that, didn't want to get burnt out when the new one was sure to do all the side stuff better. 

Switching to the pump shotgun anytime I fight other men has made a huge difference.

Also, there's an upgrade in camp that will let you recall your horse back to camp if you left it somewhere on a mission.

This review hits the nail on the head as far as, great game but some bad decisions on controls and realism by the developers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/10/27/red-dead-redemption-day-1-laborious-gameplay-in-a-stunning-world-2/#4a75dafa4851

I really hope they patch the utterly stupid stuff like not letting you run in camp.  I doubt I'm ever going to be lying on my death bed and wishing I'd had more of my time taken up walking through camp in video games that wouldn't let me run instead.
I’ve tried a couple more times and am having a tough time. I think I might actually wait it out a few weeks to see if they do patch some of the stuff (like running in camp, maybe making consumables optional) and then starting over. I just don’t have the patience for it right now.  For everyone one minute of fun, I’ve got 45 minutes of trying to get to that next fun thing. It’s a maddening experience for me right now. 

Ive actually gone back and read a few of the 10/10 reviews and find them completely disingenuous now. The game is impressive no doubt, but don’t sell me this 10/10 perfect game score when there’s glaringly obvious problems with the controls and other areas. 

I’ve tried a couple more times and am having a tough time. I think I might actually wait it out a few weeks to see if they do patch some of the stuff (like running in camp, maybe making consumables optional) and then starting over. I just don’t have the patience for it right now.  For everyone one minute of fun, I’ve got 45 minutes of trying to get to that next fun thing. It’s a maddening experience for me right now. 

Ive actually gone back and read a few of the 10/10 reviews and find them completely disingenuous now. The game is impressive no doubt, but don’t sell me this 10/10 perfect game score when there’s glaringly obvious problems with the controls and other areas. 
Have you tried just focusing on a few missions first and not worrying about the camp stuff as much?

Have you tried just focusing on a few missions first and not worrying about the camp stuff as much?
A little bit, but little things like stuff flashing red and little icons popping up bother the #### out of me. I’ve done a few of he missions from the first camp. I just did the one where the guy recognizes you in town and you chase him down. I mean that entire mission consisted of buying coffee, then following someone on a horse. That was it, and I’m fighting the controls to do it the entire time.

It reminds me so much of GTA4 which bored me to death, instead of GTA5 which I thought was a blast. 

It's hard to explain, but I'm kind of appreciating this for this particular game. I like that I need to have my horse nearby, or that I need to remember to take equipment off my horse before setting off on foot. It's refreshing to not have fast travel at my disposal.

In other games, I may not appreciate these things. But it works here so far. That said, I do understand the limited time to play thing.  This isn't shaping up to be a "pick up and goof around for 30 minutes" game. 
You can go to any post office/train station and fast travel to any town you've already been too. As long as your horse is at the station it will be at the station you get off. Found that out doing a mission in CHP 3 or 4. CH4 and 5 is where all hell breaks loose btw and gets fast paced. 

Going to NY for a week day after Halloween. Tonight I am putting in a ton of time and also Tuesday night. Halloween is the biggest holiday in my house so these next two nights this will be all I get for the next week....ugh.....I am so addicted to this game.

Seriously.....GOAT type air despite some clunky controls. The open world this game brings with very good AI, the scope of the map, the amount of life all around you and dynamic as hell.....simply the new standard for open world games. You have never played an open world game as deep as this one. But the cinematic aspect of this game? You truly feel like you are living in a Western Epic and you are simply creating the script every game session you have. Just totally blown away with this title.
I feel like I'm playing in a movie my own character. The cinema cam is awesome for those long boring horse rides where you need to follow someone in the gang. Makes the the convo with the riding feel incredible real. They really need to turn this series into a movie. Wouldn't mind more western games especially if its by Rockstar. 

Cheap bounty riddance strategy:

Go spend all your money on weapons/etc or donate it to the camp.  Then go to the police station and left trigger a cop (without a gun in hand!) and choose to Surrender.  He'll toss you in jail for the night, takes all of about 20 seconds of cut scene.  I had $5 when I went in, they confiscated it.  But it got rid of a $300 bounty.

Can save up bounties in multiple places and then dump your cash and do a tour and get rid of them all at once.

I can understand the slow pace frustrating some people, but imo that's a feature, not a bug, and I don't see any of it getting patched out. The Survival systems are meant to make you use and need consumables. Don't see how that can go away. The pace is slow on purpose, they are going for a cinematic, realistic feel that you can be immersed in and being praised for it much more than they are being criticized for it--no badass gunslinger hanging around camp is running around like a ####### lunatic from horse to tent to butcher to horse, sprinting like a mad man. They are going for a certain feel and it sucks that it's not jiving for everyone--but for me, I love it. This game is almost more a simulation than anything, in that way, and it makes the tense, fast, violent parts of the game pop that much more imo. 

I do wish that looting animations were a little faster, but they are creating a risk/reward system where you can pick through every dead guys' pockets and have the law on your tail, or you can choose the loot you absolutely NEED and then get the hell out of there before your face is seen. It's the opening of drawers and such that I actually wish was faster, that feels very sluggish to me even though I like the general pace of the game. 

To those saying they have limited game time, and turning the game on for 45 min only to spend most of it riding to your destination and then dying etc...I get that frustration. And I'm not about to say "then maybe this game isn't for you" or anything like that, I hope you find a way to enjoy it. But I also admire Rockstar for having a vision and going all-in on it, even if some aspects of it are a little overboard. They didn't just make a pow pow shooty action game like they could have, they made an entire experience and world to inhabit. In a time period where Bethesda gets killed for "dumbing down" their games and catering to the casual gamer too much, etc. I appreciate that Rockstar made the game they wanted to make rather than the one that would be slightly more video-gamey and easier to jump into. 

Like others, I'm concerned that this is an incredible technical achievement and amazing piece of art but not a very fun game.

I'm not that far into it but it just seems like a lot of work (travelling, consumables, maintenance, etc)for a few fun moments. And I haven't even enjoyed the firefights all that much.

I also find the various health and core systems very confusing.

Still giving it more of a shot but no wow moments yet for me. Lots of great scenery but no great game play experiences

I can understand the slow pace frustrating some people, but imo that's a feature, not a bug, and I don't see any of it getting patched out. The Survival systems are meant to make you use and need consumables. Don't see how that can go away. The pace is slow on purpose, they are going for a cinematic, realistic feel that you can be immersed in and being praised for it much more than they are being criticized for it--no badass gunslinger hanging around camp is running around like a ####### lunatic from horse to tent to butcher to horse, sprinting like a mad man. They are going for a certain feel and it sucks that it's not jiving for everyone--but for me, I love it. This game is almost more a simulation than anything, in that way, and it makes the tense, fast, violent parts of the game pop that much more imo.  

I do wish that looting animations were a little faster, but they are creating a risk/reward system where you can pick through every dead guys' pockets and have the law on your tail, or you can choose the loot you absolutely NEED and then get the hell out of there before your face is seen. It's the opening of drawers and such that I actually wish was faster, that feels very sluggish to me even though I like the general pace of the game. 

To those saying they have limited game time, and turning the game on for 45 min only to spend most of it riding to your destination and then dying etc...I get that frustration. And I'm not about to say "then maybe this game isn't for you" or anything like that, I hope you find a way to enjoy it. But I also admire Rockstar for having a vision and going all-in on it, even if some aspects of it are a little overboard. They didn't just make a pow pow shooty action game like they could have, they made an entire experience and world to inhabit. In a time period where Bethesda gets killed for "dumbing down" their games and catering to the casual gamer too much, etc. I appreciate that Rockstar made the game they wanted to make rather than the one that would be slightly more video-gamey and easier to jump into. 
This I would agree with. If at the end of the day, I find the game too "slow" and "boring" that's not a failure of Rockstar. They got what they were going for and in many ways, this game is probably the masterpiece that the reviews are touting.

But like someone above said, I am starting to feel like the 10/10 reviews were a bit disingenuous.  The controls are objectively sluggish and clunky. And THAT, I refuse to accept as a "feature". 

I absolutely need to spend more time learning all the nuances. Not giving up yet. 

I reckon all the time riding around on horseback here is about the same as all the time driving around in a car in GTA. 
I would say probably not, but even it if were im not having to continually tap the button to accelerate my car.  That’s my least favorite part of those games too tbh. 

Ive also never had to wash, gas, or pet my car. 

If people are for that and want a simulation cool. Just give me an option to turn that #### off and play the game. 

I would say probably not, but even it if were im not having to continually tap the button to accelerate my car.  That’s my least favorite part of those games too tbh. 

Ive also never had to wash, gas, or pet my car. 

If people are for that and want a simulation cool. Just give me an option to turn that #### off and play the game. 
You don’t have to keep tapping A ...

I think I’ve died 3x more in random encounters than actual missions. Just ran into a pack of O’Driscoll’s while collecting a loan. I got absolutely crushed. 

I think I’ve died 3x more in random encounters than actual missions. Just ran into a pack of O’Driscoll’s while collecting a loan. I got absolutely crushed. 
Yeah, I always make sure my Deadeye meter is full when heading out onto the road for that exact reason. Gives me a fighting chance to get my #### together and swing the odds when I'm surprised and too busy admiring the damn scenery or deciding whether to follow a deer I scared off the path or whatever. 

Are there any repercussions for dying?  After I finished a mission I was trotting back to camp and got ambushed and killed?  The game went into a weird animation and I just showed back up on my horse. I had to quit after so am I just back where I was killed or what?  

Are there any repercussions for dying?  After I finished a mission I was trotting back to camp and got ambushed and killed?  The game went into a weird animation and I just showed back up on my horse. I had to quit after so am I just back where I was killed or what?  
I believe it costs you some money, and it won't drop you exactly where you were.  Like I respawned at a train station nearby one time.

Dying on a mission with checkpoints, I don't know that it costs anything.

Is it worth taking my pelts to the trapper?

I just usually donate to camp.  Am I missing something?

Holding x and watching a cinematic for 5 minutes is not my idea of fun. Looks gorgeous though. 
I think this is where the great divide on this game comes from. Do you want a great cinematic experience, or do you want a game?  I’m not sure it’s both. 

bigmarc27 said:

I never trust reviews for "big" titles.  You mentioned GTA4 in another post, and that was the game that taught me that reviews are bunk.  GTA4 was okay, but it was like a 7/10 or maybe 8/10,  not anything like the reviews made it out to be.

Personally, I am really enjoying RDR2 and it's probably going to be my personal GOTY.  The slow pacing works for me in this particular title.  But the controls are just indefensibly bad and there are too many poorly-explained or poorly-implemented in-game systems (like the draw mechanic) that really should have been called out by honest reviewers. 

Serious question?

Did you guys play the first one? I almost quit that game because of all the horse travel I had to do

So I can relate :)

In Horizon Zero Dawn, you fight robot dinosaurs with precision dodging and rolling techniques while firing off perfect arrows knocking off components.

In God of War, you fight countless enemies while being able to throw an ax and call it back to your hand and switch back and forth between numerous weapons and attacks seamlessly.

In Spiderman, you can swing through the city like an actual ### #### superhero at break neck speeds pulling off numerous moves and jumping right into combat at the flick of a button.

In RDR2, it takes me two minutes to hitch my horse because my controller wasn't pointed in the proper position while Arthur climbs off and on the horse numerous times like its a weird Fortnite dance.

Users who are viewing this thread