What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Everson Griffen??? (2 Viewers)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
ABC 5 reports Vikings DE Everson Griffen threatened to shoot someone at a Minneapolis hotel on Saturday.

The Vikings released a cryptic statement about an incident involving Griffen, and it appears as if this is what they were referencing. According to police reports, a person at Hotel Ivy was threatening to shoot someone during the day on Saturday. KSTP reports the person doing the threatening was Griffen. Police did not find a gun when they reported to the scene, and no one was arrested. Even so, this incident could land him in hot water with the league if it is true. Griffen was inactive on Sunday because of a knee injury.

WTH?  Anyone have any deeper insight into this?  Does he have a history of mental instability?  Was this just a serious bout of day drinking and saying something stupid while inebriated?

Word I am hearing (and there haven't been a lot of details) is this has been going on for a few weeks and it is quite serious and not at all a moment brought about by inebriation. An interesting point mentioned on the radio this way this morning was Everson had been ruled out for last week for a personal issue prior to the incidents that happened on Saturday. Not much has been made public but the issue seems quite serious and football will take a back seat for an undetermined while at this point.

Mental health issues can be a nightmare to diagnose or live with.  Heart goes out to Griffen, and I hope he can find effective treatment to get his life in order.

Eventually maybe football can be part of his structure and support network, but has to take a back seat to larger concerns for now.

Hunter is a beast. That guy is a great DE, I watched him quite a bit last night and he really hustles on every play. I got that dude off the WW as a rookie and been holding since. 

They had credited him with a tackle then took it away 20 mins later... I read he had 5 qb hurries. Goff wasnt holding onto the ball very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very weird / sad scenario. I’m wondering if he’s got some CTE going on. 

Reminiscent of Barret Robbins - this one came out of the blue. Next thing ya know he’s reported to have been acting weird for weeks, threatened to shoot someone & checked himself into a mental ward? 

:o  

So yeah - he was on my last 2 IDP rosters - seemed like an ok dude from the interviews I’d seen. Now it’s just a strange & sad situation, and I hope he gets the help he needs. 

I believe I heard on the radio up this way last week that he has been dealing with an issue for a long time and had been taking some sort of medication to help him but he had stopped taking his medication a while back. I believe they were saying this was coming from his wife? This may be a lot of speculation but from what I am hearing he has dealt with something for quite a while and had been prescribed medication that he had decided to stop taking. I would also think it's likely they get this under control to the point he could resume playing at some point in the future if he chooses to do so.

I believe I heard on the radio up this way last week that he has been dealing with an issue for a long time and had been taking some sort of medication to help him but he had stopped taking his medication a while back. I believe they were saying this was coming from his wife? This may be a lot of speculation but from what I am hearing he has dealt with something for quite a while and had been prescribed medication that he had decided to stop taking. I would also think it's likely they get this under control to the point he could resume playing at some point in the future if he chooses to do so.
If it’s a manic episode caused by being bipolar, it’s very treatable. First because they already know the diagnosis, and 2nd, because from there it’s a pretty easy matter of getting his brain chemistry right. 

Assuming that’s what this is, that would be a best cSe scenario & he would be highly likely to play again, even this year. 

Knowing a little about this, I recall that many bipolar folks stop taking their meds, as they feel stifled. Like they’re driving a Ferrari with a governor that only allows you to go 45 MPH. The problem is that when unshackled by the bounds of modern medicine, the resultant episodes can last days, weeks or even months, and they can totally go off the rails. 

That would seem to fit the pattern described for Griffen.

hopefully this is what’s going on - much better outlook if so.   :thumbup:

Sharing as best I can recall from talk on the radio here so I am doing the best I can. There may have been mention that it was possible he had stopped taking the meds at the start of football because there is a belief that they can negatively effect how well an athlete performs on the field (not be able to be at peak performance level for the athlete). Again, this may have been a lot of speculation by the radio host but it does fit a possible scenario. He stops taking meds thinking he doesn't need them and they will hurt his performance and as it turns out he needs to be on these meds. Let's hope that is the case for him and he gets things straightened out quickly and can get back to a stable life for himself and his family.

That would be a best case scenario (out of a bad situation) if it's bi-polar (or another treatable mental illness) where he's off meds. That's the first thing I thought with this seemingly uncharacteristic outburst. 

Mental illness is still very taboo for athletes - especially in football - so something like this could be beneficial to the league as a whole. Not so great for Griffin right now, but hopefully something good comes from it. Maybe even some funding by the league to research the presumed side affects that would push a person to go off meds. 

FYI it's being reported that Griffen will rejoin the team this week on Wednesday (10/24). No indication yet if he'll play this weekend.

No way I would, I wanna see his snaps. He’s been out like what 4-5 weeks? Unless I see he’s starting and playing regular snaps, I’m gonna give him a week or two. 
I agree.  I would hold off putting him in my lineup until I see him with a full compliment of snaps.

i mean is he worth a pickup or would you prefer a guy like brandon graham
Ahh, sorry misunderstood. I don’t have Graham so not sure how he’s doing, but he played 66% of snaps last week. Eagles are playing the Jags, that’s not a bad matchup, Minny is hosting the Saints. If these two were my choices I would roll Graham personally. 

I think Griffen is the superior player but not sure if this layoff and issues will take away from that.  I assume they would.  Graham should get a significant bump due to an increase in snaps as the Eagles lessen their rotation with the Barnett injury.  Short term I would go Graham.....long term I would go Griffen and hope he gets back to his dominating self.

I think Graham can pick it up .. he will now see less of a rotation and be a 80+ percent starter.. His time to shine.. In the only game that Barnett was out he had a good game 

Users who are viewing this thread