What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would this SF/TB QB trade be crazy? (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
Garapollo (sp?) out for the season.  Winston returns in TB.

TB starts Fitz week 4 and right after the end of their week 4 game - knowing they have a week 5 bye coming up - sends Fitzpatrick to SF for say a 4th or 5th rounder.

TB avoids a QB controversy, reinstalls Winston at QB in their bye period, and seems to like Ryan Griffin as a backup QB.  SF gets a chance to salvage its season while upgrading their long term backup QB with a mentor.

Does this seem logical and/or even possible, or should I just hunker down at the nearest barstool, have a few bourbons, and stop being so foolish?

Not going to happen. SF is going to give it a few games to see if their 3rd rounder from last year is a serviceable backup to the guy they just invested $140MM in. 

One of two things will happen:

1) He either will be serviceable 

2) He won't be and there will be nothing left to salvage anyways. Regardless, he is getting at least 3-4 games no matter how awful he plays

SF has a better chance of getting Jamesis from TB.

I think TB will run with Fitz for the remainder of this season.

No guarantee that JG will be ready to start next season. Likely SF needs a 2 year fill in.

Fitz would not be good in SF. The Niners do not have the receivers that Tampa has and he would end up being the bad Fitz there.
This is exactly right.  Lost in the -magic is the fact that the depth of receiving weapons the Bucs have is pretty phenomenal.  Godwin needs to clean up his game a bit, but he's going to be a star.  WR4 Humphries would start for the Bills and Cowboys and Brate has shown he is a starting caliber TE.

This is exactly right.  Lost in the -magic is the fact that the depth of receiving weapons the Bucs have is pretty phenomenal.  Godwin needs to clean up his game a bit, but he's going to be a star.  WR4 Humphries would start for the Bills and Cowboys and Brate has shown he is a starting caliber TE.
He's one of the bigger reasons I was super stoked about TB this year

They don’t want Winston.  JG is their franchise QB right now.  Fitz can end his career starting in SF until JG is ready again, then mentoring as a backup and potentially retiring and sliding seamlessly into coaching - all with SF.

He's one of the bigger reasons I was super stoked about TB this year
Me too.  I drafted Jameis as my starter because it just felt like the Bucs were going to put up huge passing #s, and was willing to sit on the lost three games with a below replacement.  level QB. Never thought they'd be so proficient that they would make Fitzpatrick look like Marino

Garapollo (sp?) out for the season.  Winston returns in TB.

TB starts Fitz week 4 and right after the end of their week 4 game - knowing they have a week 5 bye coming up - sends Fitzpatrick to SF for say a 4th or 5th rounder.

TB avoids a QB controversy, reinstalls Winston at QB in their bye period, and seems to like Ryan Griffin as a backup QB.  SF gets a chance to salvage its season while upgrading their long term backup QB with a mentor.

Does this seem logical and/or even possible, or should I just hunker down at the nearest barstool, have a few bourbons, and stop being so foolish?
Sounds like a great trade to me as a Niner fan.

the way Fitz has played I’d think TB would want a 3rd or better (3rd & 4th maybe?) 

All those weapons do him no good if TB decides that Winston is their guy and Fitz goes back to the bench.  Very possible if Fitz follows his career path to date and finds a way to implode.  TB has to be thinking about the playoffs right now.

Fitz would not be good in SF. The Niners do not have the receivers that Tampa has and he would end up being the bad Fitz there.
Probably true, but Goodwin/Garcon isn’t bad, and Fitzgerald loves throwing to TEs, and Niners have a very solid one in Kittle. 

I think he’d be ok there. 

Me too.  I drafted Jameis as my starter because it just felt like the Bucs were going to put up huge passing #s, and was willing to sit on the lost three games with a below replacement.  level QB. Never thought they'd be so proficient that they would make Fitzpatrick look like Marino
Well, last year they made a low end ham & egger look like fools gold.

Same reason why I grabbed him on my subscriber team. Traded Brandin Cooks for Godwin and a 2019 1st (lower half). Very happy with that trade. So many people were not believing TB was serious. A few believers in here are definitely reaping the benefits so far! 

Ya I'd be surprised if SF traded for a qb.  FItz won't make them a playoff team.  And also surprised if Tampa gave Fitz up.  WInston is on a short leash and they're a potential playoff team.  Just doesn't make much sense for either team.

Why not Winston for Grappollo?  SF gets a franchise QB, Tampa can run with Fitz for the year and then install Grappollo next year.

They don’t want Winston.  JG is their franchise QB right now.  Fitz can end his career starting in SF until JG is ready again, then mentoring as a backup and potentially retiring and sliding seamlessly into coaching - all with SF.
Makes perfect sense for SF and Fits ... but TB players have stated that they're able to do things on offense with Fitz that they weren't able to do prior.

I don't think TB has any intention of trading him mid season and I don't think Jamesis gets his job back.

imo it would be a huge step backwards for TB to go with Jamesis the rest of the way and I'd be surprised if he gets a start this year baring an injury to Fitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes perfect sense for SF and Fits ... but TB players have stated that they're able to do things on offense with Fitz that they weren't able to do prior.

I don't think TB has any intention of trading him mid season and I don't think Jamesis gets his job back.

imo it would be a huge step backwards for TB to go with Jamesis the rest of the way and I'd be surprised if he gets a start this year baring an injury to Fitz.

So you’re saying go with the barstool and the bourbon?

This would be a no brainer for the Bucs. If we could get any mid-round draft pick for Fitzpatrick, I'd hope we'd hop on that immediately.

Sounds reasonable but I’m thinking SF rides outa bad season and drafts a solid RB for Jimmy a pass rusher.
FYP. They won't draft a RB, Shanny has the RBs he wants. McKinnon/Breida will be the duo.

I think TB will run with Fitz for the remainder of this season.

No guarantee that JG will be ready to start next season. Likely SF needs a 2 year fill in. 
You serious, Clark? Jimmy will be ready by training camp next season. Wentz tore his ACL and LCL last December and he's back in less than a year. Jimmy only tore his ACL, his return time will be significantly less.

Niners don't need to go get another starter this year, they want to see what they have in CJ, for better or worse.

GTFO with that ridiculousness. Winston sucks, Jimmy is the future in SF.
I wouldn’t go that far. Winston no, but I think they need to find some insurance in case Garopollo doesn’t pan out. He isn’t that impressive to crown his *** yet. He is just better than what the 49ers had in Hoyer and Beatenhard. 

FYP. They won't draft a RB, Shanny has the RBs he wants. McKinnon/Breida will be the duo.

You serious, Clark? Jimmy will be ready by training camp next season. Wentz tore his ACL and LCL last December and he's back in less than a year. Jimmy only tore his ACL, his return time will be significantly less.

Niners don't need to go get another starter this year, they want to see what they have in CJ, for better or worse.
They know what they have in Beatenhard. That’s why they started Garopollo. 

Here is a trade I think makes more sense but will never happen.  Tampa is rolling and really just need an improvement to their run game.  How about trade Winston & Ronald Jones to Pittsburgh for LeVeon Bell?  Big Ben isn't long for the game anymore.  Winston can be Pittsburgh's QB of the future and Ronald Jones has a high pedigree that Pitt could take a chance on.  Pitt gets rid of a headache in Bell.    TB gets a great RB ready to prove something and now that offense is unstoppable.  Sign Bell long term.

Gally said:
Here is a trade I think makes more sense but will never happen.  Tampa is rolling and really just need an improvement to their run game.  How about trade Winston & Ronald Jones to Pittsburgh for LeVeon Bell?  Big Ben isn't long for the game anymore.  Winston can be Pittsburgh's QB of the future and Ronald Jones has a high pedigree that Pitt could take a chance on.  Pitt gets rid of a headache in Bell.    TB gets a great RB ready to prove something and now that offense is unstoppable.  Sign Bell long term.
Pittsburgh drafted Mason Rudolph to be Ben's heir...Of course there's no telling how good he will be but I don't see them giving up on him before they know what they have in him. Winstons record after 3 years is 18-27. Maybe he puts it together and finally starts winning games but his time is running out fast. I doubt any team would see him as their future at this point, and James Connor is handling the starting RB role pretty well for the Steelers.

Grahamburn said:
Please explain.
18-27 as a starter after 3 years. 3-11 last year with 19tds and 11ints, and he had a few pretty good weapons in Evans, Djax, and Brate. He doesn't exactly instill fear in defenses.

18-27 as a starter after 3 years. 3-11 last year with 19tds and 11ints, and he had a few pretty good weapons in Evans, Djax, and Brate. He doesn't exactly instill fear in defenses.

So the fact that Winston surpassed an achievement as a passer that no other QB in NFL history has means little to you, because he’s a primary reason for those loses?

So the fact that Winston surpassed an achievement as a passer that no other QB in NFL history has means little to you, because he’s a primary reason for those loses?
I live right outside Tampa and hear all the local takes on Jameis. His about wore out his welcome here. Other than passing for a lot of yards he hasn't done much, and his decision making on and off the field leaves a lot to be desired.

Fitz traded to SF in the middle of the season with those pass catchers would be worse than Beathard is going to be.

I think you may be significantly overestimating Beathard’s competence.  He wasn’t all that great in college and hasn’t seen a very successful transfer of what skills he does have to the NFL.

I live right outside Tampa and hear all the local takes on Jameis. His about wore out his welcome here. Other than passing for a lot of yards he hasn't done much, and his decision making on and off the field leaves a lot to be desired.

I understand the comment about his behavior, but to simply dismiss as inconsequential Winston’s growth as a passing QB - remember he started immediately and only has 3 years of play in the league right now - is being disingenuous.  The D against both the pass and run has gotten progressively worse during his tenure and the running O the past 2 years has been in the bottom quarter of the league.

If TB was winning any games, it was pretty much on the strength of Winston’s arm.  Now if his behavior has turned you off so much that you want to be rid if him, I get it.  But to diminish and dismiss his success as a passer when he got little to no help from the rest of the units on the team doesn’t pass the smell test.

I understand the comment about his behavior, but to simply dismiss as inconsequential Winston’s growth as a passing QB - remember he started immediately and only has 3 years of play in the league right now - is being disingenuous.  The D against both the pass and run has gotten progressively worse during his tenure and the running O the past 2 years has been in the bottom quarter of the league.

If TB was winning any games, it was pretty much on the strength of Winston’s arm.  Now if his behavior has turned you off so much that you want to be rid if him, I get it.  But to diminish and dismiss his success as a passer when he got little to no help from the rest of the units on the team doesn’t pass the smell test.
His arm strength isn't debateable. Last year I lost count of how many times DJax was running wide open and Winston threw it way over his head or completely off the mark. 

I will say Jameis looked pretty good this preseason, and maybe he has figured out how to throw the deep ball better. We will find out this year. Maybe he proves me wrong, but I just don't see him becoming a player worthy of being drafted #1 overall, and my prediction is he starts somewhere else next season unless he lights it up this year and the Bucs make a run at the division.

Football Jameis passes for a lot of yards.  Led the NFL in YPA, yards per game, and QB rating after returning from injury late last season.  He was also the highest rated QB in the preseason this year.  On field Jameis doesn't suck.

Off the field Jameis in your words "sucks."  Agree.

Users who are viewing this thread