What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name clever heist movies and violent heist movies (1 Viewer)

Whatever you call it, it's very good.
Lot of great things about Ronin, but one of my favorites is that it is all real car chase scenes, no cgi.

Unlike say the Gone In 60 Seconds remake that came out one year later and is pretty much all cgi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw The Killing at the historic Redford Theater in Detroit Saturday night. Early Kubrick and a very clever heist film. A godfather of the genre. 

I'll do you one better - check out "Asphalt Jungle" and you'll see what Kubrick stole from Huston.
Right down to Sterling Hayden. Although Kubrick adds a sense of humor that Huston didn't. That sense of humor ties more directly to the QT films and most clever heist films to follow. 

Clever - "Romancing the Stone" with Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas.

Violent - "The Deep" with Nick Nolte, Jaqueline Bissett.

Clever - "Charade" with Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant.

Clever - "How to Steal a Million" with Peter O'Toole, Audrey Hepburn

Clever - "9 Queens" 

Clever - "Croupier" with Clive Owen

Clever - "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"

Heist movies are my favorite type of movie, so it’s not surprising that some of my favorite movies have been menoned here. (Usual Suspects, Inside Man, Italian Job, Oceans 11, etc). I’ll definitely have to check out some of these other ones. 

I don't know that I hated it but it is certainly not very good. I haven't seen it in years but most of what lingers is the conspicuous product placement of Audi.
I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but I remember the ending where the bad guy is about to kill DeNiro BUT OMG THE OTHER GOOD GUY YOU THOUGHT WAS DEAD WASN'T ACTUALLY DEAD AND HE SHOOTS THE BAD GUY!!111!one!

:fartnoise:

Hell or High Water, handful of violent parts... Both stupid and clever at the same time.  On Netflix now btw... The Dude plays the main lawman, set in Texas. Pretty good flick imo

Just Saw King of Thieves based on the real life heist of the biggest Hiest in UK history. Micheal Kean is in it as well. 

"Thief" with James Caan is a good one.  If you can track it down there's a Korean film called "The Thieves" (if you like Oceans 11 you'll like this)

Definitely violent and borderline clever is The Getaway remake with Alec Baldwin.  More graphic than the Steve McQueen original and IMO a better watch.

On the flip side, if you watch the original, you get to see The Turk from The Godfather

Guy Ritchie's 2021 film Wrath of Man is a pretty good violent one.  It's really more of a revenge plot trapped inside of a heist movie.  Jason Statham broods and kills people while Ritchie tones down his usual stylistic flourishes to make something darker and grittier.  Wrath of Man was based on a 2004 French film which may explain some of its existentialist tone.

Clever: How to Steal a Million- Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole plot to steal a piece of art from a Paris museum in order to protect her father from being discovered as a forger.

Violent: The Friends of Eddye Coyle- sick late career Robert Mitchum turn as an Irish mobster looking to save his skin by ratting out his bank robbing Boston associates

Users who are viewing this thread