Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ren hoek

Wikileaks ⏳ | Assange arrested; Trump DOJ seeks extradition

According to the blog the letter is dated one day after the indictment. Does that plus the reference to voluntary appearance mean that Domscheit-Berg is cooperating with the Feds?

On 4/22/2019 at 6:10 AM, TobiasFunke said:

Repulsive and indefensible.

I posted a link to this article and some text from it and it got deleted. Not sure why.  @FBG Moderator could you let me know when you get a chance?  Too much text from behind a paywall?

FWIW, I just reviewed the last five pages of this thread, and there were no posts by you that were hidden by a moderator.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, Maurile Tremblay said:

FWIW, I just reviewed the last five pages of this thread, and there were no posts by you that were hidden by a moderator.

Thanks for checking on this. I didn't think anything nefarious was up, was just curious. 

19 minutes ago, msommer said:

50 weeks jail for walking out on bail

>>Sentencing him, Judge Deborah Taylor told Assange it was difficult to envisage a more serious example of the offence.

"By hiding in the embassy you deliberately put yourself out of reach, while remaining in the UK," she said.

She said this had "undoubtedly" affected the progress of the Swedish proceedings.

His continued residence at the embassy and bringing him to justice had cost taxpayers £16m, she added.

"Whilst you may have had fears as to what may happen to you, nonetheless you had a choice, and the course of action you chose was to commit this offence," she concluded.<<

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

>>Sentencing him, Judge Deborah Taylor told Assange it was difficult to envisage a more serious example of the offence.

"By hiding in the embassy you deliberately put yourself out of reach, while remaining in the UK," she said.

She said this had "undoubtedly" affected the progress of the Swedish proceedings.

His continued residence at the embassy and bringing him to justice had cost taxpayers £16m, she added.

"Whilst you may have had fears as to what may happen to you, nonetheless you had a choice, and the course of action you chose was to commit this offence," she concluded.<<

so that's 7 years of holing up in an embassy and a year in the clink, to avoid a five year max sentence (so far).

UN experts have called for Julian Assange to be released from prison and criticised the British government for breaching his human rights.

The WikiLeaks publisher was jailed for 50 weeks on Wednesday for breaking bail conditions imposed seven years earlier by seeking asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

The UN working group on arbitrary detention (WGAD) said it was deeply concerned by the “disproportionate sentence” imposed on Assange for violating the terms of his bail, which it described as a “minor violation”.

The group has twice previously called for Assange to be freed, after it judged his confinement to the Ecuadorian embassy by the threat of arrest should he leave amounted to arbitrary detention.

“The working group regrets that the government has not complied with its opinion and has now furthered the arbitrary deprivation of liberty of Mr Assange,” it said in a statement on Friday.

“It is worth recalling that the detention and the subsequent bail of Mr Assange in the UK were connected to preliminary investigations initiated in 2010 by a prosecutor in Sweden. It is equally worth noting that that prosecutor did not press any charges against Mr Assange and that in 2017, after interviewing him in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, she discontinued investigations and brought an end to the case.

“The working group is further concerned that Mr Assange has been detained since 11 April 2019 in Belmarsh prison, a high-security prison, as if he were convicted for a serious criminal offence. This treatment appears to contravene the principles of necessity and proportionality envisaged by the human rights standards.

“The WGAD reiterates its recommendation to the government of the United Kingdom, as expressed in its opinion 54/2015, and its 21 December 2018 statement, that the right of Mr Assange to personal liberty should be restored.”

UN calls for Julian Assange's release from UK high-security jail

32 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

UN experts have called for Julian Assange to be released from prison and criticised the British government for breaching his human rights.

The WikiLeaks publisher was jailed for 50 weeks on Wednesday for breaking bail conditions imposed seven years earlier by seeking asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

The UN working group on arbitrary detention (WGAD) said it was deeply concerned by the “disproportionate sentence” imposed on Assange for violating the terms of his bail, which it described as a “minor violation”.

The group has twice previously called for Assange to be freed, after it judged his confinement to the Ecuadorian embassy by the threat of arrest should he leave amounted to arbitrary detention.

“The working group regrets that the government has not complied with its opinion and has now furthered the arbitrary deprivation of liberty of Mr Assange,” it said in a statement on Friday.

“It is worth recalling that the detention and the subsequent bail of Mr Assange in the UK were connected to preliminary investigations initiated in 2010 by a prosecutor in Sweden. It is equally worth noting that that prosecutor did not press any charges against Mr Assange and that in 2017, after interviewing him in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, she discontinued investigations and brought an end to the case.

“The working group is further concerned that Mr Assange has been detained since 11 April 2019 in Belmarsh prison, a high-security prison, as if he were convicted for a serious criminal offence. This treatment appears to contravene the principles of necessity and proportionality envisaged by the human rights standards.

“The WGAD reiterates its recommendation to the government of the United Kingdom, as expressed in its opinion 54/2015, and its 21 December 2018 statement, that the right of Mr Assange to personal liberty should be restored.”

I don't have to click that link to know that reporting is fake. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

No..you need to back up your claim it’s fake. How is it fake?

Obviously you haven't been paying attention as it's very clear I don't have to back up any claims of something being fake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

Obviously you haven't been paying attention as it's very clear I don't have to back up any claims of something being fake.

I’ve seen you call people jerks today and now make posts like this. Yep....no one sided moderating going on here. Back up your claim it was fake. Otherwise....stop trolling.

7 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

I’ve seen you call people jerks today and now make posts like this. Yep....no one sided moderating going on here. Back up your claim it was fake. Otherwise....stop trolling.

JB, fyi he was just mocking a statement that Ren made about Mueller's report being fake in a different thread earlier today. More or less goose/gander here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

JB, fyi he was just mocking a statement that Ren made about Mueller's report being fake in a different thread earlier today. More or less goose/gander here.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

55 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

A UK court already considered the WGAD's claims in 2018.

The impression I have, and this may well be dispelled if and when Mr Assange finally appears in court, is that he is a man who wants to impose his terms on the course of justice, whether the course of justice is in this jurisdiction or in Sweden. He appears to consider himself above the normal rules of law and wants justice only if it goes in his favour. As long as the court process is going his way, he is willing to be bailed conditionally but as soon as the Supreme Court rules against him, he no longer wants to participate on the court’s terms but on his terms.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

2 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

No, but three lefts do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

He's rustling jimmies because I said I didn't have to read the Mueller report to know the collusion scam wasn't real.  I disagree with his interpretation here but I'm sure he sincerely believes it's analagous to what I said.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Disproportionate?

Did the judge not follow sentencing guidelines? 

(that is a rhetorical question, because he actually did).

If you can't do the time......

On 5/4/2019 at 6:18 PM, ren hoek said:

Counterpoint:

Sweden has reopened the rape case against Julian Assange. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48253343

• Like 4

And I guess if that was a sworn document under Sweden's laws that could be testimony.  Or it could be a transcript, it's just weird format.  All I see are numbered sentences.  I shouldn't assume - that may well just be how it looks.

Setting aside the weird pedantry about a single word in a tweet, it looks like the charges are completely bogus.  

10 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Setting aside the weird pedantry about a single word in a tweet, it looks like the charges are completely bogus.  

....if Julian Assange is telling the complete truth about the rape charge he's been dodging by living in an embassy for nearly a decade in a prepared statement, after which he refused to answer questions.

57 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

"I'm innocent"

/saideveryindictedpersonintheworld

• Like 1

Assange is such a weird choice to hitch your wagon to.  I don't get it at all.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

....if Julian Assange is telling the complete truth about the rape charge he's been dodging by living in an embassy for nearly a decade in a prepared statement, after which he refused to answer questions.

He wasn't dodging the rape charge.  He was dodging extradition to the United States for publishing docs.  This is why Ecuador granted him asylum.  

Just now, ren hoek said:

He wasn't dodging the rape charge.  He was dodging extradition to the United States for publishing docs.  This is why Ecuador granted him asylum.  

But there was no indictment until the Trump administration filed one, right?  I feel like we had this conversation.

• Thanks 1

@ren hoek aren't you the one who constantly says that Trump is overstepping his bounds because even Obama determined it was improper to file charges.  So the DOJ didn't?

16 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

The odd thing is that Sweden may jump the US's extradition claim. This guy keeps jamming himself into places and costing himself more time. He probably had a decent shot in the British courts back in 2011 or so, he may even still have a decent shot in the Brit courts but much less so now with his scofflaw behavior. And now if he went to Sweden he'd be facing their courts and their very equanimous approach. He can't get out his own way.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

But there was no indictment until the Trump administration filed one, right?  I feel like we had this conversation.

Not that we know of.  But the indictment that Trump DOJ conjured up didn't really get rolling in earnest until Assange went after the CIA.  I'm skeptical that Obama DOJ would not have responded the same way in similar circumstances.  I have a hard time believing Assange was fine to walk out of the embassy and return home with no risk of punishment by US.  

If there was no indictment for his extradition, the UK govt could have easily confirmed there wasn't one, but they always refused to do so.  

But yes- people cheerleading the prosecution of a publisher are bigtime Trump supporters on this one.  

8 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Whoops.  Nope.  This is a written statement he gave and then refused to answer any other questions.  

https://justice4assange.com/IMG/html/assange-statement-2016.html

I've learned that people who random underline certain things are rarely credible witnesses.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -fish- said:

I've learned that people who random underline certain things are rarely credible witnesses.   

I've also found that somewhat likely in my personal practice.

17 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Is random underlining better or worse than random capitalizing?

I say yes It is. 

23 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

I say yes It is. 

I have a client that randomly underlines, italicizes and changes colors of fonts.  I’ve never been able to crack the code, other than the fact that he’s a nutjob.

• Laughing 1