What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assange Extradition- Britain Agrees to Extradite Publisher to Country that Plotted to Assassinate Him (2 Viewers)

From EDVA:

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers connected to the Secret Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNet), a U.S. government network used for classified documents and communications. Manning, who had access to the computers in connection with her duties as an intelligence analyst, was using the computers to download classified records to transmit to WikiLeaks. Cracking the password would have allowed Manning to log on to the computers under a username that did not belong to her. Such a deceptive measure would have made it more difficult for investigators to determine the source of the illegal disclosures.

During the conspiracy, Manning and Assange engaged in real-time discussions regarding Manning’s transmission of classified records to Assange. The discussions also reflect Assange actively encouraging Manning to provide more information. During an exchange, Manning told Assange that “after this upload, that’s all I really have got left.” To which Assange replied, “curious eyes never run dry in my experience.”

Assange is charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

From EDVA:

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers connected to the Secret Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNet), a U.S. government network used for classified documents and communications. Manning, who had access to the computers in connection with her duties as an intelligence analyst, was using the computers to download classified records to transmit to WikiLeaks. Cracking the password would have allowed Manning to log on to the computers under a username that did not belong to her. Such a deceptive measure would have made it more difficult for investigators to determine the source of the illegal disclosures.

During the conspiracy, Manning and Assange engaged in real-time discussions regarding Manning’s transmission of classified records to Assange. The discussions also reflect Assange actively encouraging Manning to provide more information. During an exchange, Manning told Assange that “after this upload, that’s all I really have got left.” To which Assange replied, “curious eyes never run dry in my experience.”

Assange is charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy
So, he spent seven years in an Ecuadorean embassy in order to avoid a jail sentence of five years or less. Bad play

So, he spent seven years in an Ecuadorean embassy in order to avoid a jail sentence of five years or less. Bad play
That was my takeaway too.  I also never realized that Chelsea had hacked information rather than just leaking info already available to her.

I suspect his thought process is that once in US custody he is unlikely to ever be a free man again. This particular charge may carry only a five year sentence but that does not preclude other charges.

Edit: Also if I recall correctly, the initial reason for seeking asylum was to avoid extradition to Sweden on rape charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Isikoff

From Assange lawyer Barry Pollack: "the factual allegations...boil down to encouraging a source to provide him information & taking efforts to protect the identify of that source.  Journalists around the world should be deeply troubled by these unprecedented criminal charges."

I suspect his thought process is that once in US custody he is unlikely to ever be a free man again. This particular charge may carry only a five year sentence but that does not preclude other charges.

Edit: Also if I recall correctly, the initial reason for seeking asylum was to avoid extradition to Sweden on rape charges.
I think the reporting was that the game was to get Ecuadorian citizenship so that he could then use that to get to Russia using diplomatic immunity. IIRC the UK put a pin in that by saying they would not recognize it. Assange was then stuck in the embassy. He could have emerged then, taken his medicine, but no, what the hell he had a cat, nice meals, an apartment (sort of an extra office really), computers, a window and an adoring public outside it, maybe he could emerge somehow if he waited out Sweden, which he did. I think the time ran on his rape charge, and as Tobias pointed out the victim is still speaking out. 

@Isikoff

From Assange lawyer Barry Pollack: "the factual allegations...boil down to encouraging a source to provide him information & taking efforts to protect the identify of that source.  Journalists around the world should be deeply troubled by these unprecedented criminal charges."
CFAA is hardly unprecedented. In fact the argument is it's overused.

From EDVA:

I'm using this at the club Friday night.  Perfect line for a threesome. 

Yes, if he were charged with publishing leaked documents, that would be stupid and I would oppose his prosecution.

But if they have evidence that he took steps to facilitate an illegal hacking, prosecution for that seems legit.
:goodposting:

This seems pretty straightforward. Not sure what else there is to discuss until we see the evidence.

Rafael Correa

The greatest traitor in Ecuadorian and Latin American history, Lenin Moreno, allowed the British police to enter our embassy in London to arrest Assange.

Moreno is a corrupt man, but what he has done is a crime that humanity will never forget.

@Isikoff

Anyone remember that HBO show Newsroom?

That one IT guy was in a heap of trouble not because he received classified info from an NSA guy, he was in trouble because he encouraged him to send more.

No idea if that applies here, but that's what came to mind for me. Receiving stolen info and helping someone steal stolen info is a big difference in the eyes of the law.

Trump is not going to pardon Assange.  He doesn’t give a #### at all about him.  This is the real war on the press.  Extraditing a journalist to try him in secret courts, and imprisoning/torturing him indefinitely is a grave death knell for the press. But deluded resister idiots will cheerlead Trump’s imprisonment of a journalist, like they say there silently for his imprisonment of a whistle blower.  

Assange was always the canary in the coal mine.  If he can be criminalized for publishing classified information, anyone can.  
Literally none of the bolded has happened.

You build so many straw men that I'm worried the livestock industry could be negatively impacted.

Rafael Correa

The greatest traitor in Ecuadorian and Latin American history, Lenin Moreno, allowed the British police to enter our embassy in London to arrest Assange.

Moreno is a corrupt man, but what he has done is a crime that humanity will never forget.
Moreno’s statement specified acts against Ecuador and interference in its politics. Assange is being ousted for acts against Ecuador.

Yes, if he were charged with publishing leaked documents, that would be stupid and I would oppose his prosecution.

But if they have evidence that he took steps to facilitate an illegal hacking, prosecution for that seems legit.
Yup. If he conspired, he should be in prison.  If he just published, even though I disagree that he’s what I would call a journalist, he should skate. 

@MarkAmesExiled

The way Establishment media culture built up the cult of WikiLeaks, profited off WikiLeaks, then savagely turned on Assange with shameless hive mind efficiency—is something frightening, like a real-life "irrational mob mentality" in action

It's not just the Acela Corridor middlebrows—almost the entire hacktivist/cult-of-leaker media culture that owes its existence to Assange rat####ed him.

@MarkAmesExiled

The way Establishment media culture built up the cult of WikiLeaks, profited off WikiLeaks, then savagely turned on Assange with shameless hive mind efficiency—is something frightening, like a real-life "irrational mob mentality" in action

It's not just the Acela Corridor middlebrows—almost the entire hacktivist/cult-of-leaker media culture that owes its existence to Assange rat####ed him.
Seriously, do you guys have some massive straw storage facility somewhere?  The guy got arrested like an hour ago.  Maybe wait and see how various groups actually react to the news instead of deciding what reaction best supports whatever conspiratorial points you want to make?

Just heard Glenn Greenwald on NPR talking about Assange and maybe he is right, but hard to believe him because he is such an arrogant pri**.

First he got mad when the anchor mentioned his association with Assange. 

Had to mention his Puliziter prise. 

And then when the anchor asked if he had proof of Trump forcing Ecuador to release Assange,  he said "Go look it up on Google "  :rolleyes:

Weird term to use. Is Ames claiming the MSM and Assange are sort of coconspirators? Because that’s what rat####er refers to. It’s just an odd view and implies wrongdoing on the whole. 

- eta - If the point is the press made hay of his leaks and now point the finger at him, yeah there's some reckoning to be done there, but again that's a different concept than "rat####er."

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF???

Paul Canning‏ @pauloCanning 3h3 hours ago

Paul Canning Retweeted NotiMundo

Ecuador Interior Minister: 'In the next few hours the government will reveal details that will justify, in excess, the decision to withdraw asylum. Details like that, during his stay at the Embassy he put fecal feces on the walls.'

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
WTF???

Ecuador Interior Minister: 'In the next few hours the government will reveal details that will justify, in excess, the decision to withdraw asylum. Details like that, during his stay at the Embassy he put fecal feces on the walls.'
smearing #### on the walls like a monkey

WTF???

Um, how else would he keep his jars of urine safe from the Q-rays? Use some common sense, dude.

Clearly setting up an insanity defense - as in he is too insane to even stand trial - not that he was insane when he worked with Manning to hack and release classified info.

WTF???

As opposed to all of the other kinds of feces.

Another thought on this - while he had the Sweden charges earlier, before that he did not. If he had faced the music when they first came after him he would have had a better shot of defending against extradition. Now he's been defying the rule of law for 7 years, he's been busy being a star on the internet, and the judge who will consider his plea will take all that into consideration.

@MarkAmesExiled

When Assange dumped all of the Manning documents vilifying the Bush administration I took issue with the fact that he didn’t redact names.  People lost their lives because of that.  I certainly didn’t take issue with his publications though.  As a journalist, I think he had a responsibility to release those documents.  He had a responsibility to release the DNC and Clinton emails as well.

If he was involved with the theft he should be charged.  If all he did was publish documents he received he should be covered as a journalist.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1116296902142771200?s=21

The Obama DOJ concluded that prosecuting WikiLeaks and Assange for publishing documents would pose a grave threat to press freedom theintercept.com/2018/11/16/as-… -  Dems who spent 2 years feigning concerns over press freedom but who now cheer the Trump DOJ for this are beneath contempt:

Arresting Assange and destroying WikiLeaks was a top priority for the most reactionary elements of the Trump administration from the start. Both Jeff Sessions & Mike Pompeo vowed do this to put an end to *reporting*. They were explicit about this:

If you're cheering Assange's arrest based on a US extradition request, your allies in your celebration are the most extremist elements of the Trump administration, whose primary and explicit goal is to criminalize reporting on classified docs & punish WL for exposing war crimes.

Here's a 2013 WPost article explaining why Obama DOJ - not exactly a vigorous defender of press freedoms - concluded that prosecuting WL & Assange would pose a serious threat to press freedom. How could you also not prosecute NYT & Guardian for the same?

This is Assange's lawyer, confirming he was arrested not just for bail-jumping in the UK (a minor offense) but also on a US extradition warrant issued by Trump DOJ in 2017 alleging a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning: it's about pre-2016 publication of docs

The UK police also confirm that they've arrested Assange "in relation to an extradition warrant on behalf of the United States authorities." Dems cheering this are united with the Trump DOJ in an extremist action that the Obama DOJ refused to take:

If you're a US media star who has spent 2 years claiming to be so concerned about press freedoms over Trump's mean tweets about your friends, but don't raise your voice in protest over this grave attack on press freedom, take a hard look in the mirror

The @ACLU warns the attempt to prosecute Julian Assange in connection with publishing "would be unprecedented and unconstitutional, and would open the door to criminal investigations of other news organizations" & "set an especially dangerous precedent"

The @ACLU's point is vital: if the US can force the arrest and then extradite foreigners like Assange on foreign soil for publishing docs, what prevents China or Iran or, you know, Russia for doing the same to US journalists who publish secrets about them?

For anyone who has been moronically repeating & believing Mike Pompeo's claim that WikiLeaks is "an arm of Russian intelligence," the attempt by the Trump Admin to prosecute Assange is yet another data point in a long list of Trump acting *directly contrary* to Putin's interests.

The belief that Assange is a Russian agent has always been painfully stupid (and, I should note, completely without evidence). But if you're someone who decided to believe that, then you'd have to see this as another case of Trump taking actions directly harmful to the Kremlin.

Here's the Trump DOJ announcement about its indictment of Assange. It relates *only* to the 2010 classified docs about the Iraq & Afghanistan War logs & diplomatic cables. It has nothing to do with the 2016 election. This is huge attack on press freedom

The DOJ says part of what Assange did to justify his prosecution - beyond allegedly helping Manning get the documents - is he encouraged Manning to get more docs for him to publish. Journalists do this with sources constantly: it's the criminalization of journalism

The security state agents for NBC/MSNBC cheering the Trump administration for arresting Assange because they're authoritarians who only pretend to care about press freedom when it advances their partisan interests.This is what happens when news outlets merge with the US Govt

Rafael Correa

Moreno was forgotten yesterday and he will be again tomorrow

The reason he did not want to talk to the Swedish police in the first place was to avoid being extradicted to the US. Hence fleeing to the UK etc., etc.

When Assange dumped all of the Manning documents vilifying the Bush administration I took issue with the fact that he didn’t redact names.  People lost their lives because of that.  I certainly didn’t take issue with his publications though.  As a journalist, I think he had a responsibility to release those documents.  He had a responsibility to release the DNC and Clinton emails as well.

If he was involved with the theft he should be charged.  If all he did was publish documents he received he should be covered as a journalist.

I think this is where a lot of people are. Well, maybe not a lot. But some. 

Lets see the evidence. If he helped Manning, he goes to jail. If he just published, he doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread