Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Cranjis

Dynasty & Redraft- Keke Coutee, WR, Houston

Interesting thoughts. I bid on him based on targets alone and didn't get a chance to watch tape. I couldn't find any on him. 

That's good news, then.  

Piggybacking off my previous post, he wasn't just some depth player that came off the bench to sub for Fuller. He was more like a secret weapon the Texans had been waiting to unleash. That is encouraging. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Here is his week 4 tape, pretty good.  Getting really creative with him....they did that end around play at least 4 times.  If Lamaar Miller is out this week I can see them doing that a lot more too.

https://youtu.be/1UPFhLLvtO4

Wow, thank you. 

He did look explosive. Lots of jet sweeps. I wonder how much Fuller eats into his targets and touches given how designed those plays have to be.  

Super interesting, I've been tracking this guy since preseason, and still a little under the radar in my league -- I think guys like him and some other potential boom/bust WRs in PPR (Ryan Grant, Dorsett, Cordarelle Patterson, etc.) are kinda lumped together in their minds, while I see the tangible upside and a team eager to use his skills to jump start a 1-3 start to keep up with the Jags and Titans in the division.

That said, are we truly confident how situational vs dependable he is? Patterson is a great corollary -- also an explosive receiver who teams have used in similar jet/sweep/reverse usages and someone who clearly has talent but has never really been dependable as a fantasy receiver.

I can see this going both ways, as it's not as if Houston's present starting receivers are poor. If he has a role in these kind of backfield plays, and is not getting additional opportunity given the strength of the two other receivers in downfield plays, his usage becomes a little predictable to Ds -- this is exactly what I saw happen with Patterson on both the Vikes and Raiders.

Am thinking of scooping him up before games start as a stash as I can see him going off and then not being in a waiver place to claim next week; but can also see him remaining under the radar and potentially be a risky start over other potential flex plays. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Wow, thank you. 

He did look explosive. Lots of jet sweeps. I wonder how much Fuller eats into his targets and touches given how designed those plays have to be.  

I think Keke has a different role right now. He is the slot guy and a bit of a gadget guy. However, he does have real long speed and could fill the Fuller role if the hamstring keeps Fuller out at any point this year (it's almost certain he will miss more somewhere). I like Keke's chances. And he has such a fun name. 

1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Super interesting, I've been tracking this guy since preseason, and still a little under the radar in my league -- I think guys like him and some other potential boom/bust WRs in PPR (Ryan Grant, Dorsett, Cordarelle Patterson, etc.) are kinda lumped together in their minds, while I see the tangible upside and a team eager to use his skills to jump start a 1-3 start to keep up with the Jags and Titans in the division.

That said, are we truly confident how situational vs dependable he is? Patterson is a great corollary -- also an explosive receiver who teams have used in similar jet/sweep/reverse usages and someone who clearly has talent but has never really been dependable as a fantasy receiver.

I can see this going both ways, as it's not as if Houston's present starting receivers are poor. If he has a role in these kind of backfield plays, and is not getting additional opportunity given the strength of the two other receivers in downfield plays, his usage becomes a little predictable to Ds -- this is exactly what I saw happen with Patterson on both the Vikes and Raiders.

Am thinking of scooping him up before games start as a stash as I can see him going off and then not being in a waiver place to claim next week; but can also see him remaining under the radar and potentially be a risky start over other potential flex plays. 

I think your concern about future usage is absolutely warranted. Coutee is only the Texans’ WR3 and we can only make educated guesses about their future plans for him. But Patterson is a weird comp. He has always been a freak athlete that teams try to scheme the ball to but as a WR he’s objectively terrible. He has way below average route running, a low football IQ, and almost zero feel for the position. Coutee is a different player. They’re both explosive but Coutee is much savvier, smarter, more natural, and more versatile. Coutee may or may not hit, but if he fails it won’t be because he only has a gadget skill set.

Going into this season, I was worried the Texans passing game would need to throw less because it's defense is now healthy.  It turns out the Texans defense can't really stop anyone (yet), so there are plenty of targets to go around.  I can see Coutee being solid even with a healthy Fuller in the mix.

It may have been mentioned already, but the coaches said Fuller could have gone back in last week but was held out. That is very encouraging, I think. Essentially, their patience with Coutee seemed to be paying off and there was no rush to get Fuller back on the field. To me, that reads like a team that will continue to feed Coutee (albeit not necessarily to the tune of 15 targets) and Fuller's presence (when healthy) is likely to be a positive for Keke, serving to open up the short/underneath stuff he's being fed. 

Pretty exciting, either way. Watson certainly seems to be the real deal and every high octane offense the NFL can put out there makes the game (and FF) more fun to watch.

Keke Coutee (questionable, hamstring) will be a game-time decision Week 5 against the Cowboys.

Coutee impressed in his NFL debut last week but may have aggravated his hamstring injury. If he suits up this week, he'll be playing "in pain," according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. With Houston playing in the Sunday night game, fantasy owners relying on Coutee may want to make other arrangements.

A Star is born. I’m getting Randal Cobb vibes from him when he blew up 5 to 6 years ago. 

This kid is gonna be used a bunch. 

Edited by ahartig

Put him in my Flex since he's active and Miller is being "held out". Again, he gets all the gadget runs and should get the occasional screen. Plus he's been on the field a lot on O. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing 60%+ of the snaps

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Saboo said:

The Texans were going out of their way to get Cutee involved. This guy could be an impact player going forward 

Yup, at least three gadget plays specifically for Coutee.  He made an amazing 4th Q grab too that got the texasn almost into FG range but Watson threw a terrible pick the next play....

He was on my bench, but I think he will be in my flex this week.

1 hour ago, ahartig said:

Yup, at least three gadget plays specifically for Coutee.  He made an amazing 4th Q grab too that got the texasn almost into FG range but Watson threw a terrible pick the next play....

He was on my bench, but I think he will be in my flex this week.

Also looked like he had a shot at a long TD if a defender didn't get his hand slightly on the ball as Watson was releasing it. He still managed to get a lot on the throw but it was offline, and Coutee had several steps on the DB.

didnt watch the game but did see fuller show up on the stat line. was fuller all the way back from injury, or was he still limited because of it? Curious how much impact coutee really had on fuller's snaps. (i own coutee, do not own fuller)

9 minutes ago, Pigskin Fanatic said:

didnt watch the game but did see fuller show up on the stat line. was fuller all the way back from injury, or was he still limited because of it? Curious how much impact coutee really had on fuller's snaps. (i own coutee, do not own fuller)

Dunno but he played the whole game

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pigskin Fanatic said:

The buzz before the game was that Fuller was fine.... and that Keke may not play and if he was going to play he would be playing in pain (hamstring)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Harper said:

Of course I dropped Keke this week (short bench) to take a flier that Sutton's situation improves. 

Hopefully, I can get him back on waivers, but it'll probably cost a whole lot.

Same... dropped him for roster flexibility (have Hopkins and Miller and a Bye is coming up). Cost me a decent amount to get him the first time too.

Edited by The Frankman

1 hour ago, Efritch4 said:

Luckily decided to keep him...should have a bigger role going forward IF his hammy can hold up!!

Banking on him being a second half PPR flex savior so let's hope that hammy heals ...

What's the rest of the HOU depth chart at WR look like now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew74 said:

Dynasty - do we think he can become the #2 in HOU assuming Fuller comes back w/o any issues?  

I think in a PPR league you could make the argument. Assuming all the WR in Houston are healthy it's obviously Nuk as the #1 there and then you could argue Fuller as the #2 in standard leagues and Coutee as the #2 in PPR leagues. 

He's the 2nd best WR on the roster (Bruce Ellington is on IR until Week 12), but I don't think Texans think Coutee can play the same role Fuller did. I fully expect them to trade for/sign a WR over the mini-bye.

Is he a solid WR3/Flex pickup or just a flier? I have plenty of fliers on my team and would have to decide which of Royce Freeman, Ronald Jones, and Tre'Quan Smith to drop. 

1 hour ago, tombonneau said:

Banking on him being a second half PPR flex savior so let's hope that hammy heals ...

What's the rest of the HOU depth chart at WR look like now?

Sammy Coates, Vyncint Smith (rookie), and TEs Justin Smith and Jordan Akins (both rookies)

They tried Smith earlier in the year and he didn't impress. They also tried WR/RB Tyler Ervin in the 3rd WR/gadget role and he wasn't impressive. If Coutee can come back healthy and Houston does not sign another WR he'll definitely have a big role opposite Nuk Hopkins.

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 2

You would think Coutee will most likely sit next week against Denver and then they have the bye week, so he has 3 weeks to rest the hammy. 

Hoping he sits thru their by-week!  Which mean he only has to sit week 9 now and that should really help (month off) to make sure that hammy is 100 percent.

He's so explosive he'll be money if he get's the #2 role.  

Edited by the spanker
  • Like 1