What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can anyone give me a reason why I should not to drop L. Fitzgerald (1 Viewer)

zacc123

Footballguy
I think its time to cut the cord on the old man, L. Fitzgerald's numbers so far, 15-141-0. Some guys are doing this in one game.  With guys like T. Gabriel, J. Nelson, K. Benjamin and T. Taylor out on the waivers, is it time, I know none of these guys are lighting up the league, but with how Arizona is playing right now it doesn't show me that anything is going to change in the near future.  Or do I hold on to Fitz for a few more weeks to see what happens.

Here's a reason: He's hurt. When he was healthy in Week 1 he led the team in receiving.

No idea when he'll be back to 100%, but it's not accurate to say he's lost it.

Here's a reason: He's hurt. When he was healthy in Week 1 he led the team in receiving.

No idea when he'll be back to 100%, but it's not accurate to say he's lost it.
I know hes hurt but hes not getting better. He is playing through the injury and probably making it worse. That may be the best  reason to drop him. How long are you suppose to hang on to a hobbled veteran on a putrid team where the young QB has a better connection with a different receiver?

I started to see the sink go down with Larry and ARI immediately after week 1. Moved Fitzgerald for Edelman in one league and flat out dropped him for Boyd after week 2 in another league. I saw his projected numbers in the TOP 200 forward going from like 186 points left to 86 points. Dramatic I would say. Noticed another team bid some pretty good FAAB money on him to get him. The other league the owner cannot move him for nothing. Will he be a decent ppr play this year, perhaps a few games. Had to get off that ship. Yes, love the guy and he is a HOFer. Took a really chance on Boyd way back then. No regrets.

I know hes hurt but hes not getting better. He is playing through the injury and probably making it worse. That may be the best  reason to drop him. How long are you suppose to hang on to a hobbled veteran on a putrid team where the young QB has a better connection with a different receiver?
he is very worthy of being dropped but I'm holding on in the hopes that the offense comes together & gets better.   I don't have the answer & right now I'm holding because of blind faith, with nothing to back it up.

he is very worthy of being dropped but I'm holding on in the hopes that the offense comes together & gets better.   I don't have the answer & right now I'm holding because of blind faith, with nothing to back it up.
Sorry, but that's just BS. What's backing it up is that he's a HOFer who has been doing this for years, and there's no indication that his skills have diminished.

I'm not saying you have to hold him. I can't really disagree with anything @gradin123 said, and if you'd rather get out too early than too late, that's a totally defensible decision. But when healthy he's produced even when he had bad QB play, as recently as ... [checks watch] ... last year. It's perfectly rational to think he could get healthy in the next few weeks and get back to where he was.

In my case, I was able to pick up Boyd, so I don't feel any pressure to start him yet. I guess at some point, if he's not healing up -- or if he does and still doesn't produce -- I'll cut bait. But I'm not in any rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Issue with his production is a hamstring injury from week 2 he refuses to sit out for so it can heal up.  That’s why he was ok week 1 then suckage.

I haven’t dropped him yet but will if I need the spot.  I think there’s a decent chance he contributes at a WR2 level some time this season and the matchups weeks 14-16 are nice.  Nobody would grab him in my league so I’d just snatch him back up if I got any news of that hammy healing up.

Quite possible that never happens though. At his age there’s only two ways that hammy heals up this season and the only one that won’t get you suspended is rest.  Coach basically said he can’t make him rest because he’s Larry Fitzgerald so we’ll see

Best ball/short bench league (can only have 4 WR's), and I had to dump him. Nobody seems interested in picking him up right now so I'll let him stew out there until he does something. Rosen could make him relevant again but I'm afraid he might spread the ball around too much. That, and Larry doesn't seem to be close to 100% just yet.

Health aside, he's still the #1 WR for a team that will be playing from behind a lot and a young QB that should learn to lean on him.

I'm not playing him right now, but in PPR I'm not dropping him either. IMO there's a good chance he at least has a decent PPR floor as the season goes on.

Best ball/short bench league (can only have 4 WR's), and I had to dump him. Nobody seems interested in picking him up right now so I'll let him stew out there until he does something. Rosen could make him relevant again but I'm afraid he might spread the ball around too much. That, and Larry doesn't seem to be close to 100% just yet.
short bench like that I see no way you can hang on to him.

But when healthy he's produced even when he had bad QB play, as recently as ... [checks watch] ... last year.
Not to pick nits here, but wouldn’t you have been better off checking your calender for the year?  :unsure:

I’m pretty confident he’ll pick it up when/is his hamstring heals. If healthy he should put up WR2 numbers in ppr leagues as the offense is starting to click. He’s def a bench and hold for me right now 

I think it might be time.  I'm sure he has a couple big games left in him, but I just can't hold him during the heavy bye weeks.  You can't start him with the way Arizona is trying to win games with D and ball control. 

He is 100% a dart throw these days.  Still one of my favorite players over the last 15 years. 

Sometimes you just have to let go, no matter how great the player/person. My hardest one was LaDainian. 

So: Do it! 

I've been holding out, but finally pulled the plug today. I wanted to stream a D over the Bears, and I realized that he almost certainly wouldn't get picked up by anyone, which is the second lowest level of big-name fantasy disappointment. (The lowest level is when you realize he will be picked up, and you want that to happen so he can go screw up another team's roster. I had that happen with Antonio Gates a few years back.)

I dropped him both my redraft leagues last week.

It will be interesting to see if anybody picks him up when Waivers run tonight.

I dropped him last week due to bye week needs at another position.  No one picked him up.  Waivers ran last night, still no one picked him up.  Feeling much better about my drop last week.

For some perspective, I'm dropping him today for either M. Goodwin or I. Smith.

Have a pretty deep WR corp with Diggs, Golladay, J. Gordon, Baldwin.

For some perspective, I'm dropping him today for either M. Goodwin or I. Smith.

Have a pretty deep WR corp with Diggs, Golladay, J. Gordon, Baldwin.
Yeah, bench factored into my decision as well. In a league where we start two WRs and a WR/TE flex, I drafted Fitz as my WR2 along with Hill and Sanders, but since then I've added Boyd and OJ Howard (also drafted CGodwin), so I'm not sure I'd need him even if he did get his numbers up.

He’s been occupying my IR spot for last 5 weeks, and will stay there until someone else gets hurt, or he comes to life. 

Our league rules require players placed on the IR must stay on the IR for a full 4 weeks, but this rule hasn’t been monitored the past couple years....so he’s a stash for now 

Dropped him after week 3 for Coutee. Solely on hamstring issue and better offense. I just don't see the Cards getting better.

I think its time to cut the cord on the old man, L. Fitzgerald's numbers so far, 15-141-0. Some guys are doing this in one game.  With guys like T. Gabriel, J. Nelson, K. Benjamin and T. Taylor out on the waivers, is it time, I know none of these guys are lighting up the league, but with how Arizona is playing right now it doesn't show me that anything is going to change in the near future.  Or do I hold on to Fitz for a few more weeks to see what happens.
Gabriel is a far better use of a roster space than Fitz. The others you list are probably a push. Don't hold b/c of the name... he may start to produce IF he gets healthy and IF the team stops being lousy at damn near everything and IF the coaches start putting together game plans that make more sense... "IFs" don't help you win each week. Gabriel will.

Hanging on to him but never see me starting him.  He’s the first to get cut if I need to right now.  May even cut him for a bye week kicker...

It sucks to get old. But you just can't cut him because he'll have at least one epic game left in the tank before the season ends and there are some juicy matchups left on the schedule. 

It sucks to get old. But you just can't cut him because he'll have at least one epic game left in the tank before the season ends and there are some juicy matchups left on the schedule. 
With the state of the DEN secondary, and being @ home on a short week, tonight may be one of them. 

It's a long shot, I know, but that's my gut for ya...we'll see.

But even with that epic game or two, I don't know how you can trust starting him. Akin to Cooper -- guy that's super hard to cut even though you know he likely won't crack your lineup given downside risk.

I cut him after week 2.  Sure he may blowup a week or 2 but good luck predicting when, and you can do better than 3 for 30 every other week.  The cliff has been coming for years.  Hew was a 6th/7th/8th round pick last year bc everyone thought he was too old.  He is finally too old.

I've been holding out, but finally pulled the plug today. I wanted to stream a D over the Bears, and I realized that he almost certainly wouldn't get picked up by anyone, which is the second lowest level of big-name fantasy disappointment. (The lowest level is when you realize he will be picked up, and you want that to happen so he can go screw up another team's roster. I had that happen with Antonio Gates a few years back.)
He was dropped overnight on our home 2QB league as well, and I just want to use this space as a further reminder that your leagues should not allow vetoes of trades, and commissioners should never exercise vetoes except when collusion is suspected.

Because one of the less serious owners traded Fitz straight-up for Blake freaking Bortles after week 2 in that league, and our league text thread almost mutinied when I let the trade go through. The guy who "pulled one over" with that trade sure wishes he had that one back, I bet.

I dropped him last week but if I still held him I would give him a week with Lefty as OC. Arians knew not to send Fitz downfield 20 yards anymore. He lost that ability years and years ago. If they start using him capably in the slot it could result in a return to form.

I dropped him last week but if I still held him I would give him a week with Lefty as OC. Arians knew not to send Fitz downfield 20 yards anymore. He lost that ability years and years ago. If they start using him capably in the slot it could result in a return to form.
Yep, still holding but only b/c my WR core is a dumpster fire (on par with McCoy play calling) and now I'll hold hoping he gets used in a way where he can still succeed. Chain mover extraordinaire. It's also a 55 man roster... so yeah, no real downside to hanging on too long. He still has better value than K Bourne... 

Users who are viewing this thread