What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to fire officials on the spot (1 Viewer)

Anybody who was involved in the overturn of the spot in the Browns/Raiders should be fired. Yesterday. Worst call I’ve ever seen. I’m not a fix guy but that has no other explanation. 
Just saw the replay. That's just... Wow

I wont go as far as firing on the spot but I will say the punishment for referees needs to be way more public and more severe. A referee who missed what everyone saw in real time needs some very harsh repercussions so he knows he needs to be better. A few week suspension, it will take out any indiscretions in the game as well. No quick whistles anymore, let it play out a second longer. Also, public eye exam results, this matters. Your eyes matter....just like people who need their hands and take out insurance and do certain things to cater to their hands, refs need to have perfect vision and take care them or they cant do this job. Its a union and they have a contract, that can be worked in. Refs need way more punishments for bad calls, after all making correct calls is their job. Tolerating mistakes is something that needs to stop. No referees with glasses, sorry to offend, but those with glasses like me know exactly what I mean since eye fatigue is real.

Refs are in a union. Rules around discipline are collectively bargained.

Also, FWIW, the league's position is that they got the call right. Not saying that's accurate, but the point is, no one will be fired if they are not judged to have made a mistake.

League always covers for the refs. They are supposed to defend them. Their defense is not withstanding in realty to the public, its a brush off.

This is anecdotal but it seems like the bad calls are often against the home team, which seems counterintuitive.

The horsecollar call against the Giants vs the Saints was crazy. I get where a ref makes a mistake and the others defer but here they actually gathered to discuss and there was a replay clearly showing there was no foul. Strange stuff.

I didn't think the Browns got the first down and was very surprised at the initial spot.   So despite what happened on the review I think the refs got it right ...

Multi-Billion dollar sport and we still determine 1st Downs by two guys with a chain... in 2018!!!!
This has been the quote for the last 15 years or so. Wtf have they not updated this? Tradition? #### that. The technology to get a first down mesured laser accurate is available. Go get it and use it. There should be no discretion when it comes to first downs.

I was having a pleasant Tuesday.  
Ditto, dammit. And the Tuck Rule was in a divisional playoff game, not a Week f'n 4 tilt of a 1-1-1 vs 0-3 team.

I totally get and appreciate why Browns fans are upset, given the trajectory this team seemed to finally be on this year, and the impact this might have had on the game. I'd potentially be whinging too, except for the fact that us Raiders fans have become immune to getting hosed by refs given the decades-long trend of us drawing flags often for little more than the psychological impact of the color of our jersey. 

And, to be faiiiiiirrrrr, this is not a clear-cut call. To me, it does seem like Hyde's elbow and wrist are down before ball is at the line, and (as mentioned above) a lot depends on camera angles available, and even the true projection of that yellow first down marker to begin with (not to mention the variance of where that yellow line should be projected based on a link of chains). 

Compare that wide subjectivity to another call in the game, while not being as impactful to the potential outcome of the game, is way more clear and non-subjective in the fact that we got flagged for roughing the passer for little more than a hug.

Compare that wide subjectivity to another call in the game, while not being as impactful to the potential outcome of the game, is way more clear and non-subjective in the fact that we got flagged for roughing the passer for little more than a hug.
Wow, that's just stunning. 

Yeah, I remember the Tuck Rule game. I left the area I was in and television I was watching and went downstairs to get a beverage and celebrate (I used to be a Raider, Giant, Jets fan) a bit, and I wound up coming back to...that. 

It was unreal and surreal. I just - it was so clear to me how messed up the NFL was at that point.  

Multi-Billion dollar sport and we still determine 1st Downs by two guys with a chain... in 2018!!!!
So easy a caveman can do it. When are these idiots going to get with the times, install chips in the ball and use GPS to determine a 1st down. Cheap bastards. Cut Goodell's salary by whatever it costs.

Emmanuel Sanders had a TD taken away for doing absolutely nothing.  How can the most popular sport in the country allow officiating to get worse every single year. This year has blown the doors off of bad officiating. 

Not sure how you miss an obvious egregious face mask penalty when Sanders head helmet and headband all come off his body and land in different spots all over the field 

that was was absolutely ridiculous 

Add to that that there were 3 Offensive Pass Interference penalties against the Eagles in this game. When has there ever been that many OPIs on one team in any game. 

Just as egregious are no-calls on flagrant penalties to me are the continuous flags on roughing the passer for textbook plays -- BY THE STANDARD OF TODAY'S RULING.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen flags for pushing the QB while he has the ball or *just* gotten rid of it, causing him to stumble and fall. Saw one defender collapse the pocket and get to the QB as he unloads, all wihtin a half step, hit the QB with shoulder, and made the effort not only to adjust his weight so he wasn't falling on the QB, even holding out his arms not to grasp -- on the way down to the ground! -- and then bracing himself with his elbows so he was falling on his own body not the QBs.

15 yard penalty.

It truly is getting blatantly unfair and unwatchable.

Insein said:
Add to that that there were 3 Offensive Pass Interference penalties against the Eagles in this game. When has there ever been that many OPIs on one team in any game. 
Last week against the Vikings, I think.  Really anyone playing the Packers will get hosed.  NFL wants the Rodgers redemption story.

Pretty simple to put a chip in both ends of all the footballs.  And someone in replay can read immediately with a computer if the spot effects the game.  Like if it would have been a first down, touchdown, etc.  It would take under 1 second to have that displayed to them.

Baseball could go this way with strikes (and has in a minor league).

It's simply old as dirt owners hanging on to an antiquated system.  Nothing else.  They have the money to do anything they really want to.  And these refs/umps aren't exactly cheap.  They want it like it's always been.

Golf ball companies could put bluetooth chips in the ball to make a beeping sound.  But that would totally ruin their revenue stream.  So it will never happen in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insein said:

Last week against the Vikings, I think.  Really anyone playing the Packers will get hosed.  NFL wants the Rodgers redemption story.
Correct.  1 on Cook, 1 on Diggs, and 1 on Thielen.   I am betting that the Packers go undefeated at home. 

Emmanuel Sanders had a TD taken away for doing absolutely nothing.  How can the most popular sport in the country allow officiating to get worse every single year. This year has blown the doors off of bad officiating. 
A couple of years back the NFL tried to put measures in place to address the officiating.

the efforts failed because of the fans and the sports media.

period.

what happened, well the officials went on strike.  The replacement refs came in, and rather than supporting the NFL and the replacement refs, all of the lemmings and media backed the referee union, so the NFL had to scrap plans to improve officiating.

and you know what, the replacements were way better, they just had the media up their ### every play trying to nitpick every call.

so let’s stop blaming the NFL for the sorry state of officiating.

And just think, the NFL and officials are close to a new deal that still won't do anything to improve officiating 

A couple of years back the NFL tried to put measures in place to address the officiating.

the efforts failed because of the fans and the sports media.

period.

what happened, well the officials went on strike.  The replacement refs came in, and rather than supporting the NFL and the replacement refs, all of the lemmings and media backed the referee union, so the NFL had to scrap plans to improve officiating.

and you know what, the replacements were way better, they just had the media up their ### every play trying to nitpick every call.

so let’s stop blaming the NFL for the sorry state of officiating.
The league couldn't define what a catch was about a year ago (and arguably still can't), in this, it's 100th year anniversary.

So let's not pretend they have a firm handle on how this game should be officiated either.

Becoming? If it weren't for gambling and fantasy, the sport would be in a freefall 
True.

I'm a pretty die hard football fan, but starting to watch less every year.  Used to pretty much watch football all day Sunday and always Monday night.  Now, I watch my team weekly and will watch if the Sunday or Monday night game is a really good match up.  Less than half of what I watched 3 years ago.  How you can make a sport as great as football so painful to watch is beyond me, but the NFL has managed.  Way too many penalties and reviews.  

I completely stopped watching the NBA and MLB and I used to be a fanatic on both.  Same thing could happen to football if play doesn't improve.

tired of borderline calls on action that has no effect on outcome of a play killing great plays.

Philly lost 25 yards to a very weak "block in the back" call today that took them out of field goal range late in a 3 point game. ON replay, it clearly had zero impact, the contact was very weak, and you could see the "offended" party stop and turn as if to help initiate the contact. Earlier in same game one of the worst facemask fouls I've ever seen...wide open in middle of field on a kick return, goes unflagged.

lol imagine winning/losing hundreds of dollars in a DFS GPP because of this. 
IDK we don't get the full play there but with the info we do get, looking at where the receiver was on the ground when the clip starts it looks like the correct spot.

IDK we don't get the full play there but with the info we do get, looking at where the receiver was on the ground when the clip starts it looks like the correct spot.
I agree, it's just the way he was seemingly deciding that was kind of alarming/funny. Could just be a simple brain fart that he quickly corrected(good on him), that happens to the best of us. 

I agree, it's just the way he was seemingly deciding that was kind of alarming/funny. Could just be a simple brain fart that he quickly corrected(good on him), that happens to the best of us. 
It should just emphasize more of a reason to use technology to mark the damn balls. 

And for the love of God, why is there not a ref in the booth watching a live feed of the game?

Users who are viewing this thread