What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Thread: Cappy is happy while the rest of us pray to the ping pong gods for Tuesday night (1 Viewer)

Dickie Dunn said:
As expected, a different story tonight at Matthews, though Primeau was huge with 45 saves (UMass outshot them 46-24 ... 84-40 for the weekend 😲). Makar had a chance to win it in the final seconds of regulation but Primeau stopped his partial breakaway after a little bit of a slash. Then Tyler Madden won it in OT on a nice 2-on-1 roof job, though it seems NU got away with a blatant hold on Ferraro that led to the 2-on-1. Regardless, officials let them play and Matthews was rocking with a bipartisan crowd. Really fun game.
OT loss was tough but that was a strong showing in a tough series against arguably the other best team in hockey east depending on your thoughts on Providence.  UMass continues to impress.

:lmao:  Chiarelli gives Koskinen a 3 year/$13.5 million extension. Also waives Spooner who he traded Strome (who he traded Eberle for) for like two months ago. :lmao:

For context on the Koskinen deal, Carter Hutton signed for 3 years/$8.25 million this offseason. Hutton was 33, but Koskinen is 30 already and has far inferior numbers.

I remember when Chiarelli gave Reilly Smith a bloated contract at the end of his tenure with the B's. When he was asked why, he said  "Because that's what he wanted".  Edmonton will do well to rid themselves of that giant heap of manboobs. 

Through 48 games,

Islanders: 29-15-4 (62 points)
Maple Leafs: 29-17-2 (60 points)

maybe Tavares isn't worth all that money

Last edited by a moderator:
Isles sure are a pleasant surprise.  A number of surprises this year - although I suppose that's the case every year.

Habs in a playoff position (although, I'd rather they be near the bottom this year since they have no shot of beating any top-tier team)

Sabres

Calgary

Vegas (I really expected a drop off this year)

Canucks

As of now the only Canadian team definitely out of the playoffs is Ottawa. That's news.

Through 48 games,

Lehner and Greiss are #3 and #4 in the NHL In GSAA (goals saved above average), a stat that isn't per game or anything, just total goals prevented vs. the average goalie. I assume some of that has to be attributed to Trotz, but that's pretty amazing for a team that was near the bottom of the league in that stat last year.

This team has been mostly awful, aside from a run where they got lucky in a bunch of one goal games, to be honest...
I guess. I'm still surprised they are where they are. You could say that about the Habs, too. Watch them they look like crap most nights. Rely mostly on luck and goaltending.

eta. I don't advise you actually watch them unless you are having difficulty sleeping.

This team has been mostly awful, aside from a run where they got lucky in a bunch of one goal games, to be honest...
clearly a one-line team. they are definitely not as good as their record. Dahlin is going to be awesome though, and Pilut is looking pretty good too.

I'm just hoping for 2 lottery picks at this point.

Sounds like Chiarelli is toast, maybe by the end of the night.

@TSNRyanRishaug

It is my belief a change is imminent at the GM position in Edmonton. It’s no longer a matter of it, but when Peter Chiarelli’s is let go. I’d expect news shortly.

Brennan Klak‏ @nhlupdate 5m5 minutes ago

Bob Nicholson says that Peter Chiarelli did not make the Mikko Koskinen deal by himself. #Oilers

Mark Spector‏Verified account @SportsnetSpec

Can report that the Koskinen deal was negotiated between Chiarelli and the agent, Markus Lehto. No one else from Oilers end.

Through 48 games,

God bless Barry Trotz !!

Last year the Isles gave up the most goals in a season the NHL had seen in 10 years.

This year they lead the league in GA. What Trotz has done is truly amazing with 90% of the same roster.

In the last few weeks they’ve beaten TB, WASH & TOR by a combined score of 11-1.  They now play a team game - everyone has bought into the Trotz style of play.

Give me Lou/Trotz over Tavares all day long. That’s an easy decision.

I just realized Chiarelli was in Edmonton for less than four years.  not even four full years.  feels like he’s been destroying that franchise forever.  how do you do that much damage in that short amount of time?  crazy.

Brennan Klak‏ @nhlupdate 5m5 minutes ago

Bob Nicholson says that Peter Chiarelli did not make the Mikko Koskinen deal by himself. #Oilers

Mark Spector‏Verified account @SportsnetSpec

Can report that the Koskinen deal was negotiated between Chiarelli and the agent, Markus Lehto. No one else from Oilers end.
Technically, both of those statements can be accurate.

Fan of the Muzzin trade. Adding playoff experience, and most importantly, more weight to the team. Muzzin was second last season on his team in hits (behind Brown) which helps make up for the loss of Leafs hitters over the last year (Komarov, Martin, Polak to FA as well as Borg to injury bug). Finally also gives a quality first-pairing for Rielly. Muzzin steps in as our season leader in blocks and hits (Zaitsev currently leads with 82 hits and 99 blocks to Jake's 111 and 92 respectively).

And we didn't really give away that much, though there is value in the trade for the Kings. I liked Gunstrum but has been outplayed by Moore. Durzi was on fire, but you gotta give to get and I think this was the right tradeoff based on what we need to get us into -- and stay in -- the playoffs. Considering that out of these two and a 1st round pick, likely 1 of them becomes a reliable NHL regular, we filled a huge hole with a good contract.

We'll see.

https://theathletic.com/795323/2019/02/01/31-stats-columbus-conundrum-jake-muzzins-impact-and-patrik-laines-struggles/

Carolina and Nino Niederreiter seem like a match made in heaven – an analytics dream come true. With four goals and 17 shots in four games, plus a 66 percent Corsi edge, it looks like he’s already thriving too. I never understood why he was rarely given much of a chance in Minnesota earning just 15 minutes per night despite being one of the team’s best forwards. That he often found himself on the fourth line was baffling.

Whatever it was (and I’m going to guess it was a minus-11 caused by an .870 save percentage that was very likely out of his control), it’s Carolina’s gain as they got a legitimate top-six forward for a highly inefficient forward, Victor Rask, whose points-per-60 over the past three seasons is 1.38, ranking 289th among 490 forwards. Niederreiter’s 1.98 ranks 73rd. And that doesn’t even begin to describe the massive divide between the two when it comes to controlling play. This trade was a real head-scratcher.

You know the Stadium Series has jumped the shark when the "special" uniforms look like they were thrown together in 5 seconds. 

I obviously agree that everything about that deal is dumb but I don’t think there was a real legitimate gripe about Nino’s usage.  Maybe his zone starts, which wasn’t mentioned, but that’s because he’s a responsible player that can handle it.  Line numbers never really make much sense with this roster since the top 9 have always been deployed and balanced fairly evenly and he got steady PP2 min.  But even when he was really struggling over the past 12 months he wasn’t put on the 4th line that often.  I looked it up to be sure and this season, when he was fighting it more than any time in his career, he took less than 5% of his total shifts on the 4th line which is pretty easy to identify since that is a cemented group on the Wild (Fehr, Brown, Hendricks, and usually Foligno and Ek who sometimes get moved up).  

Edit: and I should say that the reason for the fairly balanced top 9 is because that’s just how the roster is made up...fairly even.  I don’t think it’s some revelation that he’s getting 2 more min a night than his career average after four games.  He’s a good player having a really bad stretch, it was bound to flip. Dumb trade.

Users who are viewing this thread