What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Thread: Cappy is happy while the rest of us pray to the ping pong gods for Tuesday night (1 Viewer)

going to canes v rangers with cav again and i have 1 extra.  if anyone is down here.  
Enjoy! Because it's a home game, maybe you'll get to see the kind of game-winning celly that pi$$e$ off Grapes.

I'm personally torn. I get that part of this is for the fans, and nothing wrong with having a little fun in sports.

But a win should be celebration enough. Not sure why any team is celebrating a mid-season win like it's a Cup Parade.

And hockey has never been a flash, look-at-me sport where stars demanded attention like Terrell Owens or Alex Rodriguez or Cristiano Ronaldo. You play hard, you leave your guts and emotion on the ice, then you go home. 

I'm not red in the face like Don Cherry, and I'm not anti-fun. As far as these win parties are I can take em or leave em. But I think they just aren't really necessary. 

If the only way you can whip the home crowd into a frenzy is with the promise of some interpretative dance/skit at the end of the game, then maybe you should be moving your team to Quebec City, Hamilton, Saskatoon, or Hartford, where they will be this frenzied and ecstatic from simply getting to watch their team play hockey.

Enjoy! Because it's a home game, maybe you'll get to see the kind of game-winning celly that pi$$e$ off Grapes.

I'm personally torn. I get that part of this is for the fans, and nothing wrong with having a little fun in sports.

But a win should be celebration enough. Not sure why any team is celebrating a mid-season win like it's a Cup Parade.

And hockey has never been a flash, look-at-me sport where stars demanded attention like Terrell Owens or Alex Rodriguez or Cristiano Ronaldo. You play hard, you leave your guts and emotion on the ice, then you go home. 

I'm not red in the face like Don Cherry, and I'm not anti-fun. As far as these win parties are I can take em or leave em. But I think they just aren't really necessary. 

If the only way you can whip the home crowd into a frenzy is with the promise of some interpretative dance/skit at the end of the game, then maybe you should be moving your team to Quebec City, Hamilton, Saskatoon, or Hartford, where they will be this frenzied and ecstatic from simply getting to watch their team play hockey.
The Carolina crowd is loud and proud when there is a good team put in front of them. They don't "need it".

I do get some "hockey people" getting annoyed by it, but "bunch of jerks" is just ridiculous. Get over yourself Don.

I am all for it.  Not because I like it but it makes leaving the arena easier by keeping people inside.  Even if I was a STH I wouldn't stay for it. 

I understand why they are doing it.  When Dundon came here he told local radio he didn't care if they talked good or bad about the team, as long as they talked about them.  Any press is good press thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Dundon idea and it worked.

I don't care that the Canes do it, I wouldn't care if another team was the one doing it.  The winning means much more to me.  El Nino!

I keep watching the outrage of Canes celly by all these hockey pundits and it makes me laugh.  This is what they chose to talk about and they are purists.  

Canes have the most wins and most goals since NYE, and still waiting for that story.

old Grapes at it again.....I love what Carolina is doing, fun stuff.

Next 4 for the Habs should tell us if they are pretenders or actually legit.

Jets, Leafs, Preds, Bolts. 

I may actually watch tonight. 👍
After the 5th (FLA), which i didn't include, I think I got my answer.

Might as well try to grab a wildcard anyway. Too late to fall very much past 10th.

After the 5th (FLA), which i didn't include, I think I got my answer.

Might as well try to grab a wildcard anyway. Too late to fall very much past 10th.
What a slide that began specifically with the game set you pointed out. They beat the Jets and got a point out of their tilt with the loss, but the string of losses is starkly contrasted with winning/getting points out of 9/11 previous games to this set.

First Fletcher traded so many picks for virtually nothing. Remember Martin Hanzal? In exchange, the Wild sent a haul of draft picks, including a 2017 first-round pick, a 2018 second-round pick, and a 2019 conditional fourth-round pick. For a three month rental.
best team in franchise history with a chance to finish first in the West when they made the deal so they picked up the best rental on the market at the time to add center depth.  it didn't work out.  seems weird to complain about the idea of that move years later because it didn't.  the egregious move would have been to stand pat IMO.

remember every move they've made?  they didn't win a cup.  they should have been tanking for the last decade!

hindsight is fun.

best team in franchise history with a chance to finish first in the West when they made the deal so they picked up the best rental on the market at the time to add center depth.  it didn't work out.  seems weird to complain about the idea of that move years later because it didn't.  the egregious move would have been to stand pat IMO.

remember every move they've made?  they didn't win a cup.  they should have been tanking for the last decade!

hindsight is fun.
My point wasn’t the result of that specific Hanzal trade. It was let’s get on the other side of this and fleece teams for picks. You couldn’t get a better pick package for Nino than Rask at the deadline? Hanzal was just one example. Moulson another off the top of my head. Staal should be commanding more in trade than these guys.

rumors are that Leipold already regrets the hire.  hopefully they don't just stand and watch at this deadline like with Chiarelli
Then make the change on Fenton now. Nothing like compounding a mistake by keeping him longer despite knowing it’s not right. 

To me Fenton doesn’t have “it.”

Updating... Last night against a putrid Devils team, Dubnyk turned in one of the ugliest performances of the season by any goalie. And continued to blame his teammates. And accept no responsibility basically. If you'd like a good laugh, check out the youtube highlights from the game. A golden retriever would've stopped at least three of those goals.

He's dead last in the league in goals saved above expectation: https://public.tableau.com/profile/sean.tierney#!/vizhome/GoalieChartspoweredbyevolving-hockey_com/Goalssavedaboveexpectation
I'm no Dubnyk apologist, but it's stuff like this that is hilarious.  I guess goalies should only be evaluated at 5v5 when PK is arguably the most important role they play since you need to lean on your goalie to be above expectations when you're short a man?  when you include, you know, all of his play he's hovering slightly above average for the season in goals saved above average even after the rough stretch he's had recently...since he's #2 in the league behind Vassy in PK GSAA.

My point wasn’t the result of that specific Hanzal trade. It was let’s get on the other side of this and fleece teams for picks. You couldn’t get a better pick package for Nino than Rask at the deadline? Hanzal was just one example. Moulson another off the top of my head. Staal should be commanding more in trade than these guys.
I see, I misunderstood.

I don't think they're getting jack for Staal since his no trade list is all contenders.  he clearly wants to stay in Minnesota.  which might bode well for another short term cheap deal if they're lucky, then again he's killing his chance for big money with his lack of finish this year anyway.

I'm no Dubnyk apologist, but it's stuff like this that is hilarious.  I guess goalies should only be evaluated at 5v5 when PK is arguably the most important role they play since you need to lean on your goalie to be above expectations when you're short a man?  when you include, you know, all of his play he's hovering slightly above average for the season in goals saved above average even after the rough stretch he's had recently...since he's #2 in the league behind Vassy in PK GSAA.
Did I say he should only be evaluated at 5 on 5 or any other single stat? No, I didn't. But I had said earlier that he lets in a ton of soft goals. You mocked and ridiculed me saying that was irrational and emotional. So I was providing some numbers to back up that one specific point. But never mind. I'll just go away. And you keep not apologizing for Dubnyk.

Did I say he should only be evaluated at 5 on 5 or any other single stat? No, I didn't. But I had said earlier that he lets in a ton of soft goals. You mocked and ridiculed me saying that was irrational and emotional. So I was providing some numbers to back up that one specific point. But never mind. I'll just go away. And you keep not apologizing for Dubnyk.
saying a guy gives up a bunch of soft goals because of a game or two of irritation is a common theme in this thread and really with any hockey fan.  the reality is all goalies give up soft goals, however you want to define it, but they always stick out more to the homer.  my advice would be to manage your expectations because goalies, like any other player, aren't perfect and make mistakes.

regardless of how many "soft goals" Dubnyk gives up, the numbers speak for themselves in the net effect of his overall play since he has been in Minnesota by your very measurement of GSAA.

In the 3 full seasons (15/16-17/18) he had a 34.98 GSAA which ranked only behind Gibson, Bobrovsky, and Crawford while playing far more minutes than any of those three (2nd in TOI overall during that time).  in 14/15 he was 2nd with 23.71 GSAA behind only Price.

has he been great this year?  no.  does he give up soft goals on occasion?  yes.  is he even a top 5 goalie you hand pick to backstop your team before this season?  probably not.  has he been above average and given fairly consistent top 10 goaltending in the league since going to Minnesota?  definitely. 

not sure what more you want.  he's never been the thing holding this team back IMO and any number you look at supports that.

man this Rangers game is going to be HUGE.  just have to hope Fenton doesn’t flip that 1st for Duchene in the meantime.  

who am I kidding, he probably has another small euro defensive d man projected for the 3rd round all ready for that pick.

Looks like the Coyotes gave up on Dylan Strome way too early in his career. Yes, he skates like a splay-legged foal, but he's slotted in nicely with the Hawks, who are right there in the logjam that is the race for the wild card in the West.  

@RussoHockey: Being told by multiple sources that #mnwild forward Charlie Coyle has been told that he has been traded but not to where yet.

Has been told not to get on his plane, his equipment has been taken off the truck 

@Bill Brasky

@billmeltzer: The NHL has suspended Radko Gudas for two games for the high-sticking incident with Kucherov last night. He will miss Thursday night's game in Montreal and Saturday's Stadium Series against Pittsburgh.

Users who are viewing this thread