What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Smile Direct Club - Are they Crooked (Pun Intended)? (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
Anyone here try these or know of someone with a history?  I had braces back in the day and hated everything about it, to the point I never wore my retainer and really never straightened my teeth.  My fronts are all I'm concerned about, I would like to straighten and even them a bit.  I've wanted to do this for a while, but going to an orthodontist and spending $5k wasn't a look I was going forward.  I went to SCD this Monday and look like I am on a path to getting this rectified.  Was a pretty easy process, a bit too easy, but I am going to use my HSA and pay 80- monthly.  Seems like a no lose situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem to charge full price even if you just need a very minor adjustment, unfortunately. $1500 for a minor change seems like a 'lose' situation, but I hope it works out well in your case.

They seem to charge full price even if you just need a very minor adjustment, unfortunately. $1500 for a minor change seems like a 'lose' situation, but I hope it works out well in your case.
Yeah pricing is fixed, regardless of issue or severity.

I went to an orthodontist and did Invisalign. It worked great but was very expensive ($5K).

I had 38 aligners and it took a little over a year, but I'm really happy I did it.

I was at the dentist recently and asked him if it really works, long-term and all that.  He said absolutely (no pitch or anything, we already paid the ortho gobs when I was young).   I was just curious and always assumed invisalign was mostly a racket, but no.

ALGN just crashed this month from almost $400 down to around $230.  What was that about?  Anything to do with Smile Direct, who ALGN owns 17% of? Speaking of which, who are the other public companies in this space?  

Hard to believe Smile Direct was formed as recently as 2014.  Holy crap are those people going to kill it.

All we do on the dental version of fbg's is make fun of this #### and wonder how much malpractice is going to happen before this gets shut down.

I get why they exist, people don't want to drop the 5k.    I don't even care about the turf war because i don't provide any ortho services.   But this company seems like the worst idea ever.   I'd never let a friend or family member do it.

All we do on the dental version of fbg's is make fun of this #### and wonder how much malpractice is going to happen before this gets shut down.

I get why they exist, people don't want to drop the 5k.    I don't even care about the turf war because i don't provide any ortho services.   But this company seems like the worst idea ever.   I'd never let a friend or family member do it.
Seems like its working for a lot of people.  What is going on?  

I respect dentist as a poster, but I get the idea that back in the day, doctors got together at another board and said "can you believe these 3d and blade and real prosthetics when there are perfectly good hooks out there for people"?  my only concern and the concern of my own dentist is my bite being altered.  my dentist is currently wearing invisalign, hadn't heard anything negative and said at the very least, I should come in every 2 months just to make sure things are ok. 

Coincidentally I have a Wed appointment...any advice going in?
its not a dentist office.  its like going to the spa.  they don't hard sell you, but they are expecting that you are coming in to do this.  so, you should know in your mind if you are or aren't ready to commit.  the price is fixed, I believe its either 1850- as a one time pay or I think 2150-, with a 250- downpayment, then 80- a month for 30 months.  no other options; however, I found a 100- coupon and took the payment plan, but am using my HSA, so basically its nothing out of pocket.  they meet with you, 3d wand your teeth, then send away for it to be reviewed by a dentist and OKd.  takes about 5 weeks and you get every aligner in one box.  treatment includes top and bottom, retainers, 99- when you are done, not included.

I respect dentist as a poster, but I get the idea that back in the day, doctors got together at another board and said "can you believe these 3d and blade and real prosthetics when there are perfectly good hooks out there for people"?  my only concern and the concern of my own dentist is my bite being altered.  my dentist is currently wearing invisalign, hadn't heard anything negative and said at the very least, I should come in every 2 months just to make sure things are ok. 
I didn't say anything negative about invisalign.   I think it's completely fine.

It's the DIY  Smile Direct Club I have a problem with

Seems like its working for a lot of people.  What is going on?  
Smile Direct Club is "DIY" braces..  essentially being run without supervision, without a plan for your overall health.   They can change the way your teeth bite together and have seriously harmful effects.

Look it's going to work for some people with ideal situations.  no question about it.  Those people will be their poster children and will be happy they saved money over the evil orthodontists.

But a pretty big segment of people are going to be treated unreasonably and are going to have to go and get it fixed by a real provider.

If Smile Direct Club was very selective about who they offered their services to, they could be a great alternative.   But it's retail and they want to sell to everyone... they are going to eff some crap up.

Braces aren't easy.   There's a few reasons that Ortho schools only take people from the top 5% of their classes.

Yea, what are they doing that orthodontist aren't?

And btw Orthodontist are the biggest ripoff in the medical field. 
Orthodontists are similar to like cosmetic surgeons..   Braces are optional to your overall health so they can charge as they please.

So I'm not sure how an optional service can be a ripoff.

There's a ton that real orthos are doing that SDC isn't..  it would be a really long post..  i'll come back later.  I"ve got teeth to grind.

I didn't say anything negative about invisalign.   I think it's completely fine.

It's the DIY  Smile Direct Club I have a problem with
it seems that SDC is invisalign without the ortho.  However, if you talk to your own dentist and go in for follows while doing this, it cant hurt I'd assume.

it seems that SDC is invisalign without the ortho.  However, if you talk to your own dentist and go in for follows while doing this, it cant hurt I'd assume.

Not sure if your dentist is going to be super excited about booking follow-ups to check on your SDC plan.   Nor will SDC likely communicate with your dentist as to what the plan for the movement of your teeth is.  

Again.. this is probably fine for a simple movement case.   But it fails to take into account the dentistry you've had done on your teeth, your gum health or lack thereof, and numerous other factors a real person evaluating you during the process would take into account.

Not sure if your dentist is going to be super excited about booking follow-ups to check on your SDC plan.   Nor will SDC likely communicate with your dentist as to what the plan for the movement of your teeth is.  

Again.. this is probably fine for a simple movement case.   But it fails to take into account the dentistry you've had done on your teeth, your gum health or lack thereof, and numerous other factors a real person evaluating you during the process would take into account.
I agree with this........though SDC does have guidelines for who is and isn't eligible.  No one with implants, but yes with crowns.  I am a regular at my dentist, have generally good periodontal and have had recent xrays and cleanings.  we did discuss the bite shift and this is my primary concern, but no matter, I'd have to address this either with or without an ortho.  If I think things are getting wacky, I can always stop.

Orthodontists are similar to like cosmetic surgeons..   Braces are optional to your overall health so they can charge as they please.

So I'm not sure how an optional service can be a ripoff.

There's a ton that real orthos are doing that SDC isn't..  it would be a really long post..  i'll come back later.  I"ve got teeth to grind.
I wouldn't compare orthodontist to cosmetic surgeons at all.  I'd more compare having crooked teeth to have a cleft pallet or something similar, sure you can live with it but you'll be ashamed of your teeth your whole life.  And most orthodontic work is done on children where the parents have an emotional attachment to helping them.  For the stupid metal they put in your teeth, and the scant few hours they spend with you, orthodontist are a massive rip off.  And if your teeth shift through no fault of your own, they'll freaking charge you full freight again.

#### orthodontist. 

I honestly wore them around 12 hrs a day. They worked well. Only problem is if you do not wear them steady the teeth shift. There was a week I was sick...coughing, couldn't breath so I did not wear them very much. Immediately saw spaces between my teeth. I am guessing the retainers are a must have.

I honestly wore them around 12 hrs a day. They worked well. Only problem is if you do not wear them steady the teeth shift. There was a week I was sick...coughing, couldn't breath so I did not wear them very much. Immediately saw spaces between my teeth. I am guessing the retainers are a must have.
Interesting...thx...I work in a big Corp environment and wondering if I can take them off for meetings, presentations, etc and be fine...sounds like not ideal (and prob extends the time?), but still works.

Interesting...thx...I work in a big Corp environment and wondering if I can take them off for meetings, presentations, etc and be fine...sounds like not ideal (and prob extends the time?), but still works.
i pop mine in and out without issue.  i wear mine at least 20-22 hours a day.  trick, when putting in a new set, do it at sleep time.  the overnight 8 hours will help you adjust to the new ones.

gump said:
I am in week 15 and I only had one person comment on it. I take them out all the time to eat, drink, chew gum. I am on track.

i just passed 3 months, more than half way and the change is noticeable.  while my teeth are shifting, my bite is a bit off here and there (hitting high in some spots), so i need to be careful.  at the end of this, if my bite is off, i will hit my dentist and get this corrected by having some teeth ground a bit.  no worries, pretty excited.

Great to hear. Im just into my 3rd month. My front two teeth are the biggest issue...haven’t felt much move there yet. Really noticing elsewhere though and have also been biting carefully. I’m assuming because my front two teeth are the largest and most off...they’ll take time.

So, I am on my 2nd to last pair and I can not believe how well this worked!  This Sunday I change to my last aligners, which I wear for 2 weeks, then I am finished and move on to the retainer, which I need to buy and is $99 I read.  My bite seems pretty back to normal as well.  I have some sore teeth, but I'm sure in the next couple of weeks, with the retainers, this will settle in.  Highly recommend.

So, I am on my 2nd to last pair and I can not believe how well this worked!  This Sunday I change to my last aligners, which I wear for 2 weeks, then I am finished and move on to the retainer, which I need to buy and is $99 I read.  My bite seems pretty back to normal as well.  I have some sore teeth, but I'm sure in the next couple of weeks, with the retainers, this will settle in.  Highly recommend.
Good news and congrats, Chem!  I'm on weeks 3/4 of month 5...so not far behind.  So far so good...Still waiting for my front two teeth to align better, but watching the really cool animation online of how my teeth will change shows me that this was supposed to be the last step basically, with all other teeth getting into place/out of the way first.  Looking forward to it.  Also just ordered the retainer.

So, i finished my plan about 2 weeks ago and i am pleased.  Straightening, 9/10.  My 2 front teeth improved by leaps and bounds, but have a drop IMO to perfectly straight, but no worries.  The issue i have is that my bite changed drastically and Smile Direct really can’t help, since i don’t have a dentist here.  They asked me to take pictures, upload my bite, etc.  Instead, my full time dentist is awesome and has been filing here and there while i use the retainer to get my bite even.  My bite was high on the right side and i wasn’t really hitting my left.  I feel about 90% good on my bite now and i know she can correct it all the way.  I will let my teeth settle a bit and go back to her in about a month. 

Users who are viewing this thread