What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Ministry of Pain Still Around? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exploit/Avoid?

He was mentioned in the FFA Mt Rushmore thread......maybe he’s staff finally?

Always enjoyed reading the weekly Exploit/Avoid columns.    MOP provided excellent insight, and his absence is rather conspicuous.    
I think MoP left. He used to take a beating in the FFA, and I think he got tired of it. Or there was a life change. But I seem to remember him leaving.  

Miss MOP as well, I think he did a solid job contributing meaningful fantasy insight backed by analysis. In this game, no one is always right, and it was baffling why some got down on the guy for expressing opinion on a board solely dedicated to conjecture.

Can't speak to the anger issues, I never noticed them, but I do miss him on this site. Contributed a lot of quality posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

Funny because I think the posters in the FFA think the SP is the worst and vice versa. One thing as well know is the Politics Subforum is truly the pit of hell. 
I never got the hate for either, and I'm pretty sure you feel the same way.  

It used to be sport at the FFA to troll the game threads and get the football heads all worked up by making intentionally obtuse or controversial comments. I used to think that was just sort of bad form, and uncool, but to each their own, I guess. 

It used to be sport at the FFA to troll the game threads and get the football heads all worked up by making intentionally obtuse or controversial comments. I used to think that was just sort of bad form, and uncool, but to each their own, I guess. 
Never got that either -- so much funny banter and content on FFA that the need to troll across boards was, IMHO, a little useless.

I used to split time between boards, and as life got hectic, spend fantasy season in the pool and offseason in the FFA. Over time, I felt I missed so much, different cliques and in-banter progressed, that I kinda felt left behind and stopped dipping into the FFA nearly altogether. 

So it's sad to me when long-time, quality posters like MOP disappear from the pool, as it's one less voice that makes this board special to me.

So it goes.

Yeah but I have pretty thick sin

I ventured in once or twice. It's what one would expect- like an Alabama-Auburn game week thread or something.
Yeah I’m there quite a bit, it’s the equivalent of my wife watching reality TV I suppose.  It’s a shame more moderate voices stay away.  That’s what is desperately needed there right now.  

Yeah I’m there quite a bit, it’s the equivalent of my wife watching reality TV I suppose.  It’s a shame more moderate voices stay away.  That’s what is desperately needed there right now.  
I left. I no longer go. I think the tone is so toxic, it wasn't fun to even disagree like we once did years ago. Like I could learn from some people I disagreed with. Now there's a ton of aspersions cast and a lot of ad hominem and tu quoque. 

I'm happier without it. I'm actually bummed just typing this.  

Oh, I don't mean it to be harsh. The guy was picked on relentlessly on these boards. I tried being nice to him and he was quite disrespectful back towards me.

I don't wish any ill will on the guy, but I don't feel bad for anyone begging for food with a loaf of bread and under their arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't even turned on the news. I just have no taste for it anymore. There's the old dictum, "You may be through with politics, but politics isn't through with you." Then there's keeping one's sanity over all the yelling.   
I rarely watch the news because it's depressing and mostly junk. I still consume a ton of it through twitter, internet, etc. It's jut all so bleak. Thank god for fantasy football- something generally nonsoul crushing to obsess over. 

I think what may have been the last straw for MOP was when he had a change in career paths.  He was hired to become a teacher at a private school.  Which I think took guts because it is a tough profession.  He took a lot of grief for that a lot of veiled comments about his intellect.  It is a real shame because I loved reading his threads.  Canned tuna was my favorite and swedish fish a close second.

I rarely watch the news because it's depressing and mostly junk. I still consume a ton of it through twitter, internet, etc. It's jut all so bleak. Thank god for fantasy football- something generally nonsoul crushing to obsess over. 
Yep, I hesitate to even check my social media for that very reason.  

I think what may have been the last straw for MOP was when he had a change in career paths.  He was hired to become a teacher at a private school.  Which I think took guts because it is a tough profession.  He took a lot of grief for that a lot of veiled comments about his intellect.  It is a real shame because I loved reading his threads.  Canned tuna was my favorite and swedish fish a close second.
Oh my god, I forgot about when he became a teacher. I probably ribbed him quite a bit about too- from one teacher to another. However, it seemed like a really poor fit for his personality. 

I remember that. People kept asking if he was teaching mathematics, etc. 

Like I said, there are some people there that can be close to cruel and thoughtless. They, on the other hand, think that they're not suffering fools gladly. Everyone's mileage varies.    

So true.  It’s ulgy.  My wife has completely given up and stays as far away as possible.  Don’t blame her or anyone like it, I’m not far off.  I just still hold out a small glimmer of hope that a rational voice can move the needle.  Unfortunately that little hope is fading fast.  

Football certainly is the safe haven.  Probably why I’m in 12 leagues this year, the need for as much distraction as possible. Lol

Yep, I hesitate to even check my social media for that very reason.  
One of things I like about Twitter is I can follow who I want without any obligations. I don't do FB but if one does, they are pretty much forced to be friends with their family, friends, coworkers, etc. I really don't want to know what they think. 

One of things I like about Twitter is I can follow who I want without any obligations. I don't do FB but if one does, they are pretty much forced to be friends with their family, friends, coworkers, etc. I really don't want to know what they think. 
Yeah, I'm purely thinking facebook, but I follow punk bands and hip hop artists on Twitter, which I started about four months ago and quickly abandoned. When they (the artists) get political, it's impossible to avoid.  

So true.  It’s ulgy.  My wife has completely given up and stays as far away as possible.  Don’t blame her or anyone like it, I’m not far off.  I just still hold out a small glimmer of hope that a rational voice can move the needle.  Unfortunately that little hope is fading fast.  

Football certainly is the safe haven.  Probably why I’m in 12 leagues this year, the need for as much distraction as possible. Lol
My wife is the opposite. She never paid attention to politics in her life. She doesn't know anything about history. But the prospect of a certain person becoming President scared the crap out of her and now she watche the news every night, listens to several podcasts, volunteered as an election official, etc. She is way into which is good as a citizen. Maybe not great for her mental health though. 

Yeah, I'm purely thinking facebook, but I follow punk bands and hip hop artists on Twitter, which I started about four months ago and quickly abandoned. When they (the artists) get political, it's impossible to avoid.  
True...although I have a hard time imagining punk music without politics. That's always been a big part of that music IMO. 

Well anyway MOP in my opinion was an iconic poster for a lot of reasons and I do miss his posts.  I just hope his absents from the board is because of the jerks and not because of something bad happening in his personal life.

True...although I have a hard time imagining punk music without politics. That's always been a big part of that music IMO. 
Yeah, but that started a little later than the proto punks, who were largely just artists, generally of the nihilistic variety. And the Ramones were shock. I think the Sex Pistols started it with anarchical leanings and then it moved leftward. But the early punks were surprisingly more nihilistic than political at first. The Damned weren't political at all. It was really the Dead Kennedys in America and Crass that moved the political dial purely leftward for punk. That was around '79. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread