What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (2 Viewers)

Good lord.  There is a 16 year old girl testifying before Congress today that is making you look really silly. 

Because, you know, she quickly figured out that it is the scientists we need to be listening to.  
Climate change.

Background checks.

President Trump.

If we can't toss this current crop of Republicans out of office next time around, then we have really failed as a nation. This should be easy.

I sure did.  That isn’t science.  It’s nonsense.  
@Stealthycat it’s futile to try to show them the way. This is their religion, their cause. Never mind past predictions never came to pass. This time. This time! It is different.  We are all doomed unless we give them more control of our lives. 

What bothers me the most about all of this, in 20 years when this amounts to nothing these same people will not accept how foolish they looked for believing this crap.   Their is no consequence for them being wrong.  

Replace “could” and “if” with “will” and “when”. 
I will give the benefit of the doubt. I just can't see how people think that since the industrial revolution when mankind started dumping toxins on the planet isn't causing an effect on our planet, the air we breathe or the water we drink. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The consequences could be devastating to millions of lives if you are wrong. 
Just like they said all those other times too right?  The left jumps from one hysteria to the next. If your goal is to help millions of lives there are much better and cheaper ways to do so than this farce.  Even if I agreed that this was man made , the planet will never come to a fair consensus on how to solve and frankly I don’t think we can solve this. Climate changes, the romans flourished during the last warming cycle.  So will we.   

The consequences could be devastating to millions of lives if you are wrong. 
that's what they said 60 years ago, 40 years ago, 30 years ago ............ and it will be said 50 years from now too

that said - I'm all in favor of cleaning up pollution, stopping the trashing ........... the USA can do its part but even if we did all we could, the rest of the world is going to do what it does and we're all doomed anyway

I guess we could point nuclear weapons and them and demand they change?

I will give the benefit of the doubt. I just can't see how people think that since the industrial revolution when mankind started dumping toxins on the planet isn't causing an effect on our planet, the air we breathe or the water we drink. 
CO2 isn’t a toxin.  We shouldn’t be conflating climate change with pollution.  They are two different issues.

Jeff Bezos details Amazon's net-zero carbon emissions 2040 goal

Amazon.com Inc.'s CEO Jeff Bezos offered a plan for the retail giant's renewed commitment to fighting climate change, a day before some of his workers and that of tech companies Microsoft and Google are scheduled to participate in a Global Climate Change Strike.

At a Washington, D.C., news conference Friday, Bezos said Amazon would reduce its carbon emissions to a net zero by 2040–a decade earlier than called for in the Paris Agreement, the international climate-change pact.

“We’re done being in the middle of the herd on this issue—we’ve decided to use our size and scale to make a difference,” said Bezos, Amazon's founder, according to a company news release.

Bezos also said he's co-founding The Climate Pledge, with Global Optimism, a non-profit promoting social and environmental changes, started by Christiana Figueres, former climate change chief at the United Nations.

The pledge solicits net-zero emissions goals from other companies. Collectively, signatories should help invigorate corporate climate-change remediation, while spurring investment in eco-friendly technology, Bezos said.

“If a company with as much physical infrastructure as Amazon—which delivers more than 10 billion items a year—can meet the Paris Agreement 10 years early, then any company can," Bezos said. "I’ve been talking with other CEOs of global companies, and I’m finding a lot of interest in joining the pledge."

"The Climate Pledge will send an important signal to the market that it’s time to invest in the products and services the signatories will need to meet their commitments,” Bezos said.

Global Optimism's Figueres said Amazon's increased focus on reducing its global carbon footprint encourages like-minded participation.

"If Amazon can set ambitious goals like this and make significant changes at their scale, we think many more companies should be able to do the same and will accept the challenge," Figueres said, according to the new release.

Increasing climate-change scrutiny

Bezos' climate-change pledge comes at a time as corporations as a whole focus on remediating climate change, and as consumers in the U.S. and worldwide demand more action on the issue.

Two years ago, Amazon committed to powering its global infrastructure with 100% renewable energy, considered a key part of reducing carbon emissions. Now offering more specifics, the company pledges to reach 80% renewable energy by 2024, and the balance by 2030, before reaching net-zero carbon neutrality by 2040.

So far, Amazon has tapped into wind and solar renewable energy projects generating 3.8 million MWh of clean energy annually, or the equivalent of powering 368,000 homes. Under its Shipment Zero program, the company has set a 50% net zero carbon goal by 2030, with an eye to eventually eliminating carbon from its shipping. Already, since 2015, Amazon said its Frustration-Free Packaging and Ship in Own Container programs have reduced packaging waste by 25% .

In other climate-change-reduction news, Amazon also announced:

• Creating the Right Now Climate Fund and committing $100 million for conservation of protect forests, wetlands, and peatlands globally, in partnership with The Nature Conservancy. These efforts will considerably remove carbon from the atmosphere and create jobs, Amazon said.

• Launched a website to publicly disclose its climate-change effort's progress: sustainability.aboutamazon.com 

• Ordering 100,000 emissions-free electric delivery vehicles from the Plymouth, Mich. manufacturer Rivian, with vans starting to deliver packages to customers starting in 2022. By 2030, the vehicles annually will be sparing the environment 4 million metric tons of carbon, in contrast to conventional petroleum-powered vehicles. Amazon earlier invested $440 million in Rivian.

Trump talking about the environment and how good Australia is with "digging" and they have practically no more cases of Black Lung. 

It’s not dismissive, it’s the truth.  

They aren’t employees and they aren't skipping work.  They are skipping school.  That doesn’t enhance or deter from the protest.
Historically the word “strike” refers to a gathering of people who stop their normal activities in order to achieve political or economic change. General strikes, such as this one, have always included students. So you’re wrong; strike in this instance is the correct usage of the word.

Historically the word “strike” refers to a gathering of people who stop their normal activities in order to achieve political or economic change. General strikes, such as this one, have always included students. So you’re wrong; strike in this instance is the correct usage of the word.
No it isn’t, from your link..

In the U.S., New York City's 1.1 million school students were excused from class to participate in the strike protests.

Do you see the word “excused”?

No it isn’t, from your link..

In the U.S., New York City's 1.1 million school students were excused from class to participate in the strike protests.

Do you see the word “excused”?
New York is not the only city involved. 

But even there, excused or not, strike is still the correct term. 

You can “historically” redefine whatever you want.  When I’m writing I’m going to be referring to the current definition of words.

I’m sure there are some people out there striking. I understand there are a group of Amazon employees doing that.  Students are walking out or “skipping” school.  They aren’t striking.

You can “historically” redefine whatever you want.  When I’m writing I’m going to be referring to the current definition of words.

I’m sure there are some people out there striking. Students are walking out or “skipping” school.  They aren’t striking.
They didn’t even skip school, many were excused. 

Only in your mind. Hope you have a great weekend.
Hey you guys are the ones wasting time making this point. Call it whatever you want. The important part is it’s major, significant, and in this country climate change will be among the many things that will bring down the Republican Party because they refuse to take any action or even to acknowledge it. 

Hey you guys are the ones wasting time making this point. Call it whatever you want. The important part is it’s major, significant, and in this country climate change will be among the many things that will bring down the Republican Party because they refuse to take any action or even to acknowledge it. 
You saying these posts are wasting time is laughable....dude...this place is your life. Getting excused from school is not “striking”. 

New York is not the only city involved. 

But even there, excused or not, strike is still the correct term. 
With all due respect, Tim I don't believe that is correct and you should change the thread title. My understanding is that only an employee can go on strike, while a student would be walking out.

noun

noun: strike; plural noun: strikes

a refusal to work organized by a body of employees as a form of protest, typically in an attempt to gain a concession or concessions from their employer.

"dockers voted for an all-out strike"

With all due respect, Tim I don't believe that is correct and you should change the thread title. My understanding is that only an employee can go on strike, while a student would be walking out.

Look up the section in Wikipedia under “student protest” called “student strike”. 

Chicago schools also allowed their students to attend. Strike... :lmao:

Also from Tim’s link...

Students march in the US

Though billed as a walkout, many public schools backed the effort as a civic exercise and learning exercise.

For those of you that don't believe in climate change, I'm curious what part of the argument you dispute?

• Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere creates a Greenhouse effect, impacting the temperature of the planet
  • Some Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is good for humans, as it actually keeps the planet comfortably habitable
  • Too much Carbon Dioxide is bad for humans, as it heats up the planet
  • Scientists are able to determine historical Carbon Dioxide levels by probing ice cores
  • For the last 800,000 years, Carbon Dioxide levels were below 300 parts per million
  • Since 1880 (the start of the industrial revolution), we have seen an increase in Carbon Dioxide levels
  • Since 1950 (the last 70 years), Carbon Dioxide levels have increased by over 30% - to over 400ppm
  • The levels of Carbon Dioxide are expected to increase in the coming decades
  • Automobiles, airplanes and factories, which weren't around just 100 years ago, emit Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere

Look up the section in Wikipedia under “student protest” called “student strike”. 
I'll take a dictionary definition about the meaning of a word over Wiki, thank you.

I don't understand why you are so mulishly stubborn about not changing a thread title that most here see as being incorrect.

Too lazy to read back why is the word “strike” vs “skipping school” important?
Calling it "skipping school" attempts to diminish the seriousness of the kids' opinions.  The idea is that the kids are all just taking a nice consequence-free vacation day, not engaging in a protest over an issue that is important to them.

For those of you that don't believe in climate change, I'm curious what part of the argument you dispute?

• Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere creates a Greenhouse effect, impacting the temperature of the planet
  • Some Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is good for humans, as it actually keeps the planet comfortably habitable
  • Too much Carbon Dioxide is bad for humans, as it heats up the planet
  • Scientists are able to determine historical Carbon Dioxide levels by probing ice cores
  • For the last 800,000 years, Carbon Dioxide levels were below 300 parts per million
  • Since 1880 (the start of the industrial revolution), we have seen an increase in Carbon Dioxide levels
  • Since 1950 (the last 70 years), Carbon Dioxide levels have increased by over 30% - to over 400ppm
  • The levels of Carbon Dioxide are expected to increase in the coming decades
  • Automobiles, airplanes and factories, which weren't around just 100 years ago, emit Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere
I disagree that the industrial recolution started in 1880. Steam engines were invented a long time before that (more than a century) and in the 18th century (the numbers starting with 17) replaced more and more artisanal production with factory production. The steam engine's uses were diverse spanning from transportation (railways, steam ships) over pumping water out of mines to increase yield to manufacturing (e.g. weaving of sails and eventually every day cloth). At the time most steam engines were powered by coal which was the most energy dense material in circulation at the time.

IIRC the 1880 number that you mention roughly coincides with the start up of wide scale metereological measurement and reporting.

PS, but I do believe in climate change.

Users who are viewing this thread