What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (4 Viewers)

If he's going to do this it's best to just create his own thread for it and keep it self-contained.
I didn’t bring it up...I answered another posters questions.  BTW, you were responding to another alias who has been banned multiple times and seems quite obsessed with this board and me in particular from what people have quoted.  

None that do what the two I mentioned do.  It’s not just about being an alias.  HTH
You need to back off. You refer to me as Beav and now you claim that person talked crap about your kid and sent you PMs? Again....as you have been told over and over keep it about the topic and not the poster. Absolutely pathetic.

In news that means something....

US electricity generation capacity from renewable energy sources surpassed coal for the first time this April, and that gap looks to grow substantially during the next three years.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission released its latest Energy Infrastructure Update, and the numbers reveal that the total installed capacity of renewables — including hydropower, wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass — hit 257.53 GW in April 2019, grabbing a 21.56% share of installed generating capacity.

Coal checked in with 257.48 GW and a 21.55% share, respectively, just falling behind. Wind and solar added 178 MW in new installations to surpass the fossil fuel.

When it comes to installed capacity for renewables alone, hydropower is still the leader, but it won’t be for long — wind is now just 1.82 GW behind hydro, and should pass it in the near future.

FERC also shared the proposed additions and retirements in total installed capacity over the next three years, to May 2022, and by that time, the gap between renewables and coal will be vast.

In those three years, coal is expected to install just 867 new MW of capacity, while 13,276 MW of coal capacity will be retired.

Meanwhile, wind and solar alone should push renewables far, far ahead of coal. FERC expects there to be a “high probability” of 40,203 MW of new wind and solar installed by May 2022. If you include all proposed additions — beyond that of what the commission merely considers “high probability” — the US could see more than 186,000 MW of installed wind and solar capacity added in those next three years.

I really liked what Liz Warren had to say about this issue over the weekend. She talked about the Apollo space program (a comparison I’ve been thinking about for years) and while she paid lip service to the Green New Deal, she said the priority had to be not limiting current sources of energy but spending as much as we need to on R and D to find ways to make the cleaner ones economical. That surprised and pleased me. She really hit the nail on the head. 

I am certainly not a progressive, but more and more I find Liz Warren to be very refreshing. 

In news that means something....

US electricity generation capacity from renewable energy sources surpassed coal for the first time this April, and that gap looks to grow substantially during the next three years.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission released its latest Energy Infrastructure Update, and the numbers reveal that the total installed capacity of renewables — including hydropower, wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass — hit 257.53 GW in April 2019, grabbing a 21.56% share of installed generating capacity.

Coal checked in with 257.48 GW and a 21.55% share, respectively, just falling behind. Wind and solar added 178 MW in new installations to surpass the fossil fuel.

When it comes to installed capacity for renewables alone, hydropower is still the leader, but it won’t be for long — wind is now just 1.82 GW behind hydro, and should pass it in the near future.

FERC also shared the proposed additions and retirements in total installed capacity over the next three years, to May 2022, and by that time, the gap between renewables and coal will be vast.

In those three years, coal is expected to install just 867 new MW of capacity, while 13,276 MW of coal capacity will be retired.

Meanwhile, wind and solar alone should push renewables far, far ahead of coal. FERC expects there to be a “high probability” of 40,203 MW of new wind and solar installed by May 2022. If you include all proposed additions — beyond that of what the commission merely considers “high probability” — the US could see more than 186,000 MW of installed wind and solar capacity added in those next three years.
This is a good post...but I want to point out something so that it is not interpreted too optimistically.

In terms of incremental "new" electric generating capacity, the trend toward solar and wind capturing the majority of that market has been present for several years now. 

In terms of existing already-installed capacity...solar and wind are still far, far behind fossil fuel and nuclear...the latter still makes up nearly 83% of the total. Solar and wind only 8.2%.

Conclusion being that...even though most new capacity is renewable...the existing base of fossil fuel and nuclear is so massive and long-lasting that renewables have yet to make a dent large enough to curb emissions in a meaningful way.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Last edited by a moderator:
In the "glimmer of hope" department, Trump did not get his way in terms of cutting funding for DOE-related clean energy research. Congress overrode him and in fact some of the programs actually increased funding:

Advanced "Green" Manufacturing  - $320mm (vs. Trump $75mm)

Bioenergy Technologies - $226mm (vs. Trump $37mm)

Solar Energy - $247mm

Vehicle Energy - $344 (vs. Trump $69mm)

Etc.

https://issuu.com/hollandknight/docs/holland-knight-clean-tech-funding-p

I really liked what Liz Warren had to say about this issue over the weekend. She talked about the Apollo space program (a comparison I’ve been thinking about for years) and while she paid lip service to the Green New Deal, she said the priority had to be not limiting current sources of energy but spending as much as we need to on R and D to find ways to make the cleaner ones economical. That surprised and pleased me. She really hit the nail on the head. 

I am certainly not a progressive, but more and more I find Liz Warren to be very refreshing. 
Good ideas are good. So is freeing yourself from party labels.

It was much warmer 2 million years ago (although the world is only 6000 years old and who was really taking the temperature back then, they didn't even have proper thermometers)

/theusualsuspects
I was one of the first on board when global warming was a thing.  I've always had a closeness with the environment. I was also one of the first to jump ship because of thinking like this. How dumb. I think I may have talked myself into it more than anything. Now I weep for future generations. 

This is a good post...but I want to point out something so that it is not interpreted too optimistically.

In terms of incremental "new" electric generating capacity, the trend toward solar and wind capturing the majority of that market has been present for several years now. 

In terms of existing already-installed capacity...solar and wind are still far, far behind fossil fuel and nuclear...the latter still makes up nearly 83% of the total. Solar and wind only 8.2%.

Conclusion being that...even though most new capacity is renewable...the existing base of fossil fuel and nuclear is so massive and long-lasting that renewables have yet to make a dent large enough to curb emissions in a meaningful way.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3
I would not lump (unintentional pun) nuclear with coal.  Nuclear is potentially renewable and more importantly carbon-free.  Focus should be on replacing coal and then natural gas.   We should be growing our nuclear power base.   

And it needs to be done at the state level with the feds just providing assistance and not getting in the way.  

Last edited by a moderator:
In the "glimmer of hope" department, Trump did not get his way in terms of cutting funding for DOE-related clean energy research. Congress overrode him and in fact some of the programs actually increased funding:

Advanced "Green" Manufacturing  - $320mm (vs. Trump $75mm)

Bioenergy Technologies - $226mm (vs. Trump $37mm)

Solar Energy - $247mm

Vehicle Energy - $344 (vs. Trump $69mm)

Etc.

https://issuu.com/hollandknight/docs/holland-knight-clean-tech-funding-p
This is great and all, but 1.1 billion seems like a drop in the bucket for something that could be so good for so many reasons. Cleaner, renewable, and makes Middle East stability less important, meaning we need less of a presence. 

This is great and all, but 1.1 billion seems like a drop in the bucket for something that could be so good for so many reasons. Cleaner, renewable, and makes Middle East stability less important, meaning we need less of a presence. 
Right.  That darned middle east stability.  Who needs it. 

Right.  That darned middle east stability.  Who needs it. 
How can I rephrase this- we won’t need to be ignoring murders because it’s someone we buy oil from? We won’t need to send our kids overseas to get maimed by an ied? We won’t need to sell weapons to questionable regimes or militia groups? I’m not against peace there but the cost in lives and dollars is astronomical. We aren’t there because we’re trying to get everyone to get along, we’re there because of the oil. 

@supermike80 think about the math- we invest 1.1 billion to these various emerging technologies that could lessen our reliance on fossil fuels. How much does it cost to keep troops in Afghanistan and Iraq for a month? We seem to gladly hand out “money for the troops,” but struggle to find money that would make it so we don’t need troops there. 

How can I rephrase this- we won’t need to be ignoring murders because it’s someone we buy oil from? We won’t need to send our kids overseas to get maimed by an ied? We won’t need to sell weapons to questionable regimes or militia groups? I’m not against peace there but the cost in lives and dollars is astronomical. We aren’t there because we’re trying to get everyone to get along, we’re there because of the oil. 
Right..That is definitely the only reason.  

Right..That is definitely the only reason.  
You’re right, there are a few reasons we’ve been involved in the Middle East- stop the flow of communism from Russia, secure oil, and of course post 9-11 fighting terrorism that stemmed from our previous policies. 

Not sure Mad Sweeney is some liberal. Or even around. 

Mans 4 accounts is child’s play completed to who I was referring to.
Sweeney was progressive or liberal, but I don't think he ever came back under another account after being permabanned (or at least I never saw any left leaning poster with his distinctive posting style).

Sweeney was progressive or liberal, but I don't think he ever came back under another account after being permabanned (or at least I never saw any left leaning poster with his distinctive posting style).
I barely remember him outside of the Shark Pool...and I think many had him on ignore for being pretty obnoxious.

These threads turn into something like the GOT threads.  people #####ing about somebody being a board cop and not talking about the topics, and a lot of their post are highfives about calling out the board cop and not talking about topics.  Just ignore him if it's so annoying.  

Saw an interview with the CEO of Union Pacific yesterday. He was addressing how they are handling climate change as it effects so many of their lines. He made sure to add "no matter what you think the cause of climate change is". So ridiculous. 

According to the below 1989 article with a similar eleven year window to address the climate or deal with the apocalypse we’re already well past the point of no return so why fret over something that was predetermined in the year 2000?  (cue the Conan O’Brien “In the year 2000” sound effect)

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

June 29, 1989

UNITED NATIONS (AP) _ A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.

In the debate between Trump and the Democrat, this issue will be decisive. 
Totally agree. IMO the Dems could win the election in a landslide if they make climate change the focus of their platform (w/ infrastructure). But if it gets bogged down in cultural issues (like it did in 2016) and/or conflated with social equity (e.g. GND) then climate change will not prove decisive to the election outcome.

According to the below 1989 article with a similar eleven year window to address the climate or deal with the apocalypse we’re already well past the point of no return so why fret over something that was predetermined in the year 2000?  (cue the Conan O’Brien “In the year 2000” sound effect)

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

June 29, 1989

UNITED NATIONS (AP) _ A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.
"Scientists predicted global temperature changes from 1-7 degrees in 30 years if no changes were made. We made changes and global temperatures are only up .62 degrees! Those scientists are idiots!"

Totally agree. IMO the Dems could win the election in a landslide if they make climate change the focus of their platform (w/ infrastructure). But if it gets bogged down in cultural issues (like it did in 2016) and/or conflated with social equity (e.g. GND) then climate change will not prove decisive to the election outcome.
i wouldn't say it got bogged down in 2016.  it never got discussed at all.  agree that they need to keep the social justice part out of it in this election.  reduced emissions, price on carbon, use part of the revenue for infrastructure, the rest comes back as a dividend.

Users who are viewing this thread