What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (1 Viewer)

I read through some of this and the list of contributors is impressive. Wonder who the crowd sourced funders are? Sounds like the U.N. and congress people like Cortez have a great plan to prevent total cataclysmic climate change and help all of the world’s people become “equal.” 

Open borders, high density housing and mass transit all tracked on 5G networks. You get x many carbon credits a month. Disagree with any government sponsored group think and you lose your credits. Facial recognition and phone tracking keep us all in line or else. Sounds utopian right? 

I read through some of this and the list of contributors is impressive. Wonder who the crowd sourced funders are? Sounds like the U.N. and congress people like Cortez have a great plan to prevent total cataclysmic climate change and help all of the world’s people become “equal.” 

Open borders, high density housing and mass transit all tracked on 5G networks. You get x many carbon credits a month. Disagree with any government sponsored group think and you lose your credits. Facial recognition and phone tracking keep us all in line or else. Sounds utopian right? 
Emotional appeals are so persuasive. Unless you are someone who, you know, prefers facts and logic.

Cortez isn't in the refuted article. Who is Cortez?

I’m surprised you are letting the leftist new world order track your communications on the internet. Pretty bold move. 

Huh? Have you not heard Ocommunist Cortez speak? She said we need a Marshall plan for climate change. Sounds pretty one world government and U.N. Agenda 21 to me.
Please don't. This was instantly reported. We've asked people not use nicknames like this. 

Please don't. This was instantly reported. We've asked people not use nicknames like this. 
I can see why people call this place an echo chamber. Someone called me a dying breed on this board because I disagreed with the preferred narrative. No admonishment for an implied threat to said poster but if I criticize communist viewpoints and calling them out on it is hate speech or ban worthy? Sad state of affairs for the first amendment and huge double standards on this board.

I can see why people call this place an echo chamber. Someone called me a dying breed on this board because I disagreed with the preferred narrative. No admonishment for an implied threat to said poster but if I criticize communist viewpoints and calling them out on it is hate speech or ban worthy? Sad state of affairs for the first amendment and huge double standards on this board.
That isnt a threat or even an implied one.

Her viewpoints are not communist either.

Also, the first amendment doesn't apply.  And there was no double standard applied.

Bernie Sanders is a card carrying communist. Is that also objectionable around here? He said so himself. Is that considered a nickname too? Or are we not allowed to criticize the government in here?

I'm still trying to figure out who is Cortez? Must be something like Pizzagate... a made up noun... or is it an adjective... or a verb... or an adverb? So confused.

Thanks but no. Report what you see that's over the line. Thanks. 

I didn't post that, not sure who did, but that's a folksy saying, not a threat. 

Example

FWIW

The other day I noticed a funny little banner at the top of the EPA's website:

"We've made some changes to EPA.gov. If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA web archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot."

The Deep State is alive and well! 
Hopefully it can be found from Jan 21, 2021 also

Ohio just passed the worst energy bill of the 21st century

In short, Ohio agreed to bail out some aging, expensive coal and nuclear plants while gutting renewable energy and efficiency standards. As you might imagine, the politicians who pushed this bill had received major campaign contributions from the utilities being bailed out. Trump makes an appearance here as well - his Ohio campaign manager was a force behind the bailout, citing the need to keep Ohio coal jobs viable heading into 2020.

Ohio just passed the worst energy bill of the 21st century

In short, Ohio agreed to bail out some aging, expensive coal and nuclear plants while gutting renewable energy and efficiency standards. As you might imagine, the politicians who pushed this bill had received major campaign contributions from the utilities being bailed out. Trump makes an appearance here as well - his Ohio campaign manager was a force behind the bailout, citing the need to keep Ohio coal jobs viable heading into 2020.
FirstEnergy Solutions (spin off of FirstEnergy but contains only failing/bankrupt plants) will collect $197.6 million from new fees on Ohioans' electric bills.

WV just gave FirstEnergy Solutions a $12.5 million  tax break for a plant that is planned to shut down in 2022.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/07/23/house-passes-bill-meant-to-relieve-financially-troubled-power-plant/

And then this, yesterday: Lawmakers wish lawsuit had been disclosed prior to votes on power plant bill

"What legislators did not know was that a company owned by Gov. Jim Justice and his family is in an active federal lawsuit with FirstEnergy Solutions, which claims it is owed a $3 million final payout on a coal deal."

TripItUp said:
stemming population growth should be the number one priority if we are serious about climate change 
That doesn't seem to be a problem in this country.  We are already having to rely on immigration to keep pace with those who are dying...new births alone isn't getting it.

TripItUp said:
stemming population growth should be the number one priority if we are serious about climate change 
What does this do if the people inhabiting the planet treat it like a garbage dump? 

TripItUp said:
We pretty much have the blueprint for this - give girls in the developing world access to education and family planning. Some climate activists, like Paul Hawken, claim that this is the #1 policy for preventing emissions: This Book Ranks the Top 100 Solutions to Climate Change. The Results are Surprising.

The number one solution, in terms of potential impact? A combination of educating girls and family planning, which together could reduce 120 gigatons of CO2-equivalent by 2050 — more than on- and offshore wind power combined (99 GT).

David Roberts: One thing that jumps out is how different this list looks from what gets discussed most in the media -- wind, solar, CCS. Did you go in expecting your list to look more like conventional wisdom?

Paul Hawken: We thought at least the top of the list would — solar, wind, wind, solar. Because that’s what you hear from Charles Ferguson, Al Gore, [Jeffrey] Sachs, or Christiana Figueres. They’re all saying the same thing.

It’s understandable — 62 percent of the [greenhouse gas] molecules up there came from fossil fuel combustion, so you just invert it, right? It makes sense. It just doesn’t work out that way. If you take solar, which is eight and 10 [on the list], and wind, which is two and 22, and you combine them, they are definitely near the top. But you can’t model on- and off-shore wind the same, because the economics are vastly different. And you can’t model rooftop and solar farms in the same model. So in some cases we broke things up that people think of as aggregated.

But even then, the number one solution is educating girls and family planning.

Coons and Feinstein recently introduced carbon tax legislation into Senate...

• The fee is scheduled to begin at $15 per metric ton of CO2 equivalent and then increase by $15 - $30 per ton each year based upon the overall amount of emissions reduction achieved relative to an established annual target. The targets are designed to achieve a 100% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (compared to 2017 levels) by the year 2050.
  • While there is not yet an official estimate, some reports are that the law could collect $2.5 trillion in revenue over the first decade.
  • The fund would generally allocated collected fees on a 70/30 basis between tax payments to individuals (<$100K income single filer) and direct spending programs.
  • [Unfortunately]...there is no immediate path forward for this, or other carbon tax legislation in the current Congress. A proposal such as this could take years to develop, negotiate, enact, and implement. 
https://home.kpmg/us/en/home/insights/2019/07/tnf-carbon-fee-legislation-introduced.html

Coons and Feinstein recently introduced carbon tax legislation into Senate...

• The fee is scheduled to begin at $15 per metric ton of CO2 equivalent and then increase by $15 - $30 per ton each year based upon the overall amount of emissions reduction achieved relative to an established annual target. The targets are designed to achieve a 100% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (compared to 2017 levels) by the year 2050.
  • While there is not yet an official estimate, some reports are that the law could collect $2.5 trillion in revenue over the first decade.
  • The fund would generally allocated collected fees on a 70/30 basis between tax payments to individuals (<$100K income single filer) and direct spending programs.
  • [Unfortunately]...there is no immediate path forward for this, or other carbon tax legislation in the current Congress. A proposal such as this could take years to develop, negotiate, enact, and implement. 
https://home.kpmg/us/en/home/insights/2019/07/tnf-carbon-fee-legislation-introduced.html
pretty close to what the Citizens Climate Lobby is proposing, although that is 100% to be given back as a dividend minus administration fees.  I like this better if the 30% goes towards infrastructure.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty close to what the Citizens Climate Lobby is proposing, although that is 100% to be given back as a dividend minus administration fees.  I like this better if the 30% goes towards infrastructure.
It appears infrastructure is part of the 30%...I would assume grid upgrades, resiliency, etc...personally I'd like to see at least a 50/50 split but wouldn't complain a bit if anything close to this got passed.

• "The remaining 30% of the fund would be spent on other priorities to achieve a “cleaner energy future” including infrastructure investment, innovation in technologies to reduce or eliminate greenhouse gas emissions, and transition assistance programs for workers displaced in fossil fuel industries."

Cement and steel are a substantial percentage of CO2 emissions.  Why encourage more of that?

Is the waste from solar panels clean?
Does the waste from solar panels emit dangerous radiation for tens of thousands of years? 

Can the waste from solar panels be reused?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the waste from solar panels emit dangerous radiation for tens of thousands of years? 

Can the waste from solar panels be reused?
It was a point that all these technologies have their issues.  On the nuclear I agree if we're talking first or second gen.  New fourth gen are generally breeder reactors and have much, much less waste than previous.  That, and their uncontrolled shutdown process is one where the fuel automatically goes non-critical (the opposite of Chernobyl).

As far as waste from solar panels, the silicon can be reused.  The issue is with some of the heavy metals that are used.  Those generally enter the water table and are a hazard.  It's a big upcoming problem.

It was a point that all these technologies have their issues.  On the nuclear I agree if we're talking first or second gen.  New fourth gen are generally breeder reactors and have much, much less waste than previous.  That, and their uncontrolled shutdown process is one where the fuel automatically goes non-critical (the opposite of Chernobyl).

As far as waste from solar panels, the silicon can be reused.  The issue is with some of the heavy metals that are used.  Those generally enter the water table and are a hazard.  It's a big upcoming problem.
that, and some of the Gen4 reactors can actually burn waste as fuel.

nuclear has to be part of the solution.  renewables as they currently exist can't do the job alone.

that, and some of the Gen4 reactors can actually burn waste as fuel.

nuclear has to be part of the solution.  renewables as they currently exist can't do the job alone.
I disagree with the bolded. Basically because I frequently see stories on how we can store the energy from reusable sources economically and at the same time reduce baseload need for e.g. heating etc. In most cases, what is required is existing techinoly, used in innovative ways on the basis of an upgraded infrastructure. 

Users who are viewing this thread